PDA

View Full Version : Mat Jackson = New Star of the BTCC

Racingdick
1st April 2007, 18:29
just finished watching the 3rd race ... Nuff Said!!

also a respectable start for Adam Jones and an amazing win for Neal in the NEW Civic!!!

BeansBeansBeans
1st April 2007, 18:39
Yes, Mat Jackson has been highly rated in touring car circles for years, so it's good to see him live up to the promise. I only wish the race was 5 laps longer because he was shaping up for a good scrap with Giovanardi when the flag fell.

Credit must also go to Matt Neal and the boys at Team Dynamics for getting a victory at the Civic's first meeting.

They seemed more emotional than when they won the title!

reidy_fan
1st April 2007, 18:42
agree totally, Mat drove a mature race there and was truly deserved, IMO the COC was a bit harsh in race 1 but that is racing but in race 2 to come from the back to 8th is good going.

It is great that a man that has worked hard to get to the BTCC is proving his worth, good luck for the rest of the season

VkmSpouge
1st April 2007, 19:06
Mat Jackson did very well, who knows what he could have done in race two had he started from third?

nicemms
1st April 2007, 19:23
Really impressed by Jackson. Excellent start, just hope the form continues.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st April 2007, 19:27
Well done to Jackson and Onslow-Cole :up: I think the BMW is the best S-2000 car and I reckon Turkington and Jackson are championship contenders.

P.S nicemms---didn't Middlesbrough lose yesterday?? :laugh:

WSRfan82
1st April 2007, 19:30
nice driving from mat jackson well done and weldone to matt neal and of course nice going from TEAM RAC!!! colin had a good weekend and i think tom had a respectable weekend as well. in deed and i got to say louise goodman co did a fantastice job to.

Robinho
1st April 2007, 19:59
yeah Mat Jackson looks the real deal, stepped up very nicely and if he can keep that pace up all year he has to be an outside bet for the title, and definite for a few wins this year

speedy king
1st April 2007, 21:22
Himself, Onslow Cole and Jones really displayed fantastic amounts of promise today, was gutted when Onslow Cole went off :(

Ian McC
1st April 2007, 21:48
Jackson and Jones both made great starts! :D More to come from those boys I hope!

Allyc85
1st April 2007, 21:51
great stuff from mat, I cant wait to see the highlights

EVOBOY
1st April 2007, 21:56
fantastic performance by Matt hope it continues as he clearly is not in awe of the established stars - bring it on Matt, more of the same please & shake up the "old school"

Ian McC
1st April 2007, 21:57
Whilst we are talking good performances today full marks to Matt Neal for an amazing save when he got tapped in the second race.

KILOHMUNNS
1st April 2007, 22:47
Excellent results for Jackson, Lets hope he can keep the results coming in as it would be great for a newcomer to be a title contender.

Eunos
1st April 2007, 23:05
Yup, Was very Impressed.

Both Mat Jackson and Adam Jones showed alot of Potential today.

I can definatly see Jackson taking the Top Spot of the Podium sometime this Season and i agree the COC did suck.

Winchester
1st April 2007, 23:11
He was fast, aggressive and controlled for the whole weekend.
His car is a good'un and he is making the most of it.
I don't think any of the cupra graduates have ever made the step to BTCC and looked so instantly at home racing at the sharp end.
Superb stuff - driver of the weekend!

Brown, Jon Brow
1st April 2007, 23:21
I'd rate his debut better than Rob Huff's and maybe Shedden's, and certainly better than Pickford or Smiths :up:

Haddock
1st April 2007, 23:30
Most impressive thing is that unlike any of the drivers you mentioned, he wasn't in a works, or even semiworks car, but a family run one. Certainly makes Martyn Bell's efforts last year pale into insignificance.

nik
2nd April 2007, 00:52
Jackson will be a multiple race winner this year. The way he closed on Giovanardi so quickly. Also Jones did well, I was willing him on in race 3.

...and finally a special mention to Chris Stockten. He drove really well, to a well deserved point and miles infront of his team mate.

RED VXR
2nd April 2007, 09:04
To be fair Chris Stockten had driven in the last to rounds last season where as it was the first time Nick leason had driven the lexus.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 10:31
I agree with most of the above (except the bit about the Clerk of the Course being harsh on Jackson in race 1). Jackson performed stunningly well. Jones was exceedingly impressive, and Stockton looked genuinely fast. A word of praise to Mike Jordan, too, who looked just as competitive as he did in 2006. Perhaps the Motorbase Toledos were a tad disappointing, but I'm sure they'll move nearer the front as time goes on. But will any of the Alfas ever show good form?

MBailey06
2nd April 2007, 10:44
Eoin Murray would have been up with Adam Jones I think had he not had his qualifying accident, and I'm fairly certain in time Pinkney will be too. Don't forget he only got his car last friday, so has barely driven it.

Neil Adams
2nd April 2007, 12:23
jackson was fantastic!
damn right that he yet to show his full hand!

just looked back through the results, shame his 3rd place in race 1 didnt stand because its possibly best ever placed finish for a debutant (main btcc class) for ages!

100%hondafan
2nd April 2007, 13:08
jackson done great espically being run by a family team well done to all involved.

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2007, 13:45
I agree with most of the above (except the bit about the Clerk of the Course being harsh on Jackson in race 1). Jackson performed stunningly well. Jones was exceedingly impressive, and Stockton looked genuinely fast. A word of praise to Mike Jordan, too, who looked just as competitive as he did in 2006. Perhaps the Motorbase Toledos were a tad disappointing, but I'm sure they'll move nearer the front as time goes on. But will any of the Alfas ever show good form?

Well don't forget this weekend effectively tripled Motorbase's race experience with the SEAT Toledo compared to GR Asia's 2 years of experience with the car. I suspect had it not been for Adam Jones' excellent results Motorbase would be quite happy with their own.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 14:33
Well don't forget this weekend effectively tripled Motorbase's race experience with the SEAT Toledo compared to GR Asia's 2 years of experience with the car. I suspect had it not been for Adam Jones' excellent results Motorbase would be quite happy with their own.

This is true.

wedge
2nd April 2007, 15:17
I'd rate his debut better than Rob Huff's and maybe Shedden's, and certainly better than Pickford or Smiths :up:

I would strongly agree with you there. MJ has been highly rated for a while now, was undoubtedly the class of the field in Seats last year. The way he sets the car up, his driving style, handling the car on the limit was a joy to watch.

It's no great surprise he's now comfortable driving RWD BMW. But in a small family run team, MJ mixing it with the big boys like a veteran - great stuff.

Deserves greater things in the future other than just racing in BTCC :up:

SEATFreak
2nd April 2007, 18:48
I just want to add my voice to those in praise of Mat Jackson.

Not only did he perform extremely well in all three rounds but what we must not forget is with a time of 49.789 he set the second fastest lap in the entire meeting. The only faster driver was Jase in Race 1 when he set a time of 49.706. A very good feat for a family run Independent team. The 320si will serve them extremely well indeed and may be a priceless asset.

BeeJ_UK
2nd April 2007, 20:19
agree totally, Mat drove a mature race there and was truly deserved, IMO the COC was a bit harsh in race 1 but that is racing

Not dissing Mats talents as a racing driver, I was very impressed with his driving as I was in SEATs last year but the COC was dead right to penalise him in race 1. There is never any excuse to ignore a flag and to complete 2 or 3 laps dropping gear box oil is unforgivable. I have had to clean up circuits after cars have done this before and it is very hard work to try and get the track safe in as short as time as possible. I would not say Race 1 was mature but maturity will come.

Scuderia ferrari
2nd April 2007, 20:22
I agree, me and my dad were super imprssed with his performances in all 3 races, unfortanate about race 1, but yeah, one to watch this year, and he is in a good car, so no reason why he should not be up there

100%hondafan
2nd April 2007, 20:22
i would have done exactly the same i dont no many that wouldnt have!

he most likly new what the problem is and you could tell from some angles it was tyre smoke!

Haddock
2nd April 2007, 21:09
Not dissing Mats talents as a racing driver, I was very impressed with his driving as I was in SEATs last year but the COC was dead right to penalise him in race 1. There is never any excuse to ignore a flag and to complete 2 or 3 laps dropping gear box oil is unforgivable. I have had to clean up circuits after cars have done this before and it is very hard work to try and get the track safe in as short as time as possible. I would not say Race 1 was mature but maturity will come.

It might not have been mature, but I'd have been sorely tempted to do exactly the same in his shoes. And frankly Mat was one of very few drivers who (though I haven't watched race 3 yet) appears to have kept it completely clean on track all weekend. Same can't be said of Matt Neal, Darren Turner, Tom Chilton, etc