PDA

View Full Version : 2013?

NY2IA
21st September 2012, 18:32
Is it too soon to start thinking about next year? I wondered if anyone has an update on the 2013 schedule? I'd like to see Road America added to the schedule. How about others?

SoCalPVguy
21st September 2012, 19:20
re. 2013:

remember TG and the Sisters said if Indycar series does not turn a profit by 2013, they are done.

Better question: 2014 ?

C3PO
21st September 2012, 20:41
2013 Schedule (http://indytoday.blogspot.com/p/2013-schedule.html)

heliocastroneves#3
21st September 2012, 21:11
Good schedule, if this would it be... 18 races, and Pocono Raceway being on the schedule would be nice IMHO. :)

00steven
22nd September 2012, 00:13
re. 2013:

remember TG and the Sisters said if Indycar series does not turn a profit by 2013, they are done.

Better question: 2014 ?

When was this said?

SoCalPVguy
22nd September 2012, 00:43
When was this said?

Link for example: IRL: 2013 or bust | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com (http://www.ibj.com/irl-2013-or-bust/PARAMS/post/3629)

"That quote involved George saying the series better be profitable by 2013 or “there won’t be a 2013.” "

More ...

Terry Angstadt, president of IRL’s commercial division seemed to take George’s comment seriously. “I’m familiar with the comment,” Angstadt said straight faced when I asked him about George’s statement in an interview last month.

He then detailed the challenges the IRL has faced and must conquer, including the costs of unification. Angstadt added: “I’m 100 percent confident we will have a long-term sustainable model by 2013.”

QUESTION: Do you believe ICS has a long-term sustainable model ??? Many would say they do not ...

PS- it took me about 10 seconds to find this on Google, you couldn't do that yourself ?

00steven
22nd September 2012, 01:01
10 seconds I would have wasted, TG has nothing to do with it now. This article seems to be before the merger even. Irrelevent...

Granatelli
22nd September 2012, 03:02
I heard they are actually making a small proffit now.

SoCalPVguy
22nd September 2012, 03:28
10 seconds I would have wasted, TG has nothing to do with it now. This article seems to be before the merger even. Irrelevent...

Wrong. IndyCar is owned by the Hulman-George family. George as in G::: T... G... TG is either back on the board or influenntial with the Hulman George sisters and his buddies are on the board. Not "irrelevant". That aricle was from 2009, well after the merger. Before you criticize please get your facts straight. The only 10-seconds wasted was the time i spent reading your post.

SoCalPVguy
22nd September 2012, 03:31
I heard they are actually making a small proffit now.

Cannot verify yet. Hope its true, however my observation is that any NET profit would be due to severe reductions in expenses not increase in revenues. This seems to be evidenced by the fact that Indycar has no money for proper promotions, cars, etc ... The series is so cash strapped due to poor attendance and ratings that they now have to drive bargain basement cars and engines. Or they have Tim Geithner cooking the books ...

Chris R
22nd September 2012, 12:07
Like SoCal said - if they are making a profit it is not because of a sustainable long term model- they are clearly still in short term cost cutting mode with an eye toward surviving (which is very different from thriving).... They need to move forward to get to true sustainability and they need real growth to get to proper profitability - or they need to completely change the business model and give up on being "big time" racing altogether and become a niche/hobby sport.....

Using TG past statement and putting it together with the fact that the family still owns the series - if they are good business-people it is not hard to imagine they might be ready to throw in the towel...... It is also distinctly possible they feel they are in so deep they need to stick it out to try to re-gain some of the lost millions sunk into the enterprise either by making the series better or making it more appealing to outside investors.....

00steven
22nd September 2012, 13:05
Wrong. IndyCar is owned by the Hulman-George family. George as in G::: T... G... TG is either back on the board or influenntial with the Hulman George sisters and his buddies are on the board. Not "irrelevant". That aricle was from 2009, well after the merger. Before you criticize please get your facts straight. The only 10-seconds wasted was the time i spent reading your post.

I'd be all for the HG clan to sell the series.

anthonyvop
22nd September 2012, 14:40
2013 Schedule (http://indytoday.blogspot.com/p/2013-schedule.html)

Just to clarify that is NOT the official schedule. The ICS has not released a schedule.

Nikki Katz
22nd September 2012, 18:20
Edmonton's gone, but Bernard said they should release the schedule in the first week of October. It looks like there'll be at least 16 races, though with only one in Canada.

GRW1983
22nd September 2012, 20:18
Edmonton's gone, but Bernard said they should release the schedule in the first week of October. It looks like there'll be at least 16 races, though with only one in Canada.
Randy Bernard has stated that, despite Edmonton's demise, IndyCar will still have a "minimum" of 19 races next year. My guess is St.Pete, Barber, Long Beach, Brazil, Indy, Detroit (doubleheader), Texas, Milwaukee, Iowa, Pocono, Toronto, Mid-Ohio, Rhode Island, Sonoma (doubleheader), Baltimore, Houston & Fontana. The reports I've read seem to suggest Detroit & Sonoma are being touted as being doubleheaders, so we'll see how that plays out. Looking at that 2013 schedule posted earlier, there would be a 5-week gap after Baltimore before Houston, so it would be interesting to see if IndyCar could squeeze in a 20th race around September 20-22. I'd love to see Austin get that date, then it leads nicely onto Houston, but that's just me. As for a 2nd race in Canada, it seems that Quebec is in the frame for 2014.

GRW1983
22nd September 2012, 20:29
Actually, even looking towards 2014, you still have the likes of Palm Springs, New Orleans, Road America, Austin, Quebec, Phoenix & Michigan who have all been linked with getting an IndyCar race in the future, so there is definite potential to have 22-24 races in the schedule, without the need for doubleheaders.

MAX_THRUST
26th September 2012, 00:29
Shame they can't tag onto the formula one weekends US races.

anthonyvop
27th September 2012, 03:42

And fall deeper into the abyss of irrelevance?

FIAT1
27th September 2012, 18:06

Right, and call it a gp4? Give me a break. After so many tries, how many US F1 races where success after first or 2nd year?

nigelred5
27th September 2012, 19:39
I'd rather see a 200 mile Indycar support race on saturday of the USGP than any of the irrelevant sports car races they are likely filling the bill with. It would certainly be Indycar's second largest event. The $2m sanctioning fee Indycar gets is probably less than what it is coing to cost to get people in and out of the place all weekend and it would put indycar back in front of a HUGE crowd.

Bernie probably wouldn't want people to see how much more competetive Indycars are than F1, but he aready gets that from GP2.

nigelred5
27th September 2012, 19:39
Right, and call it a gp4? Give me a break. After so many tries, how many US F1 races where success after first or 2nd year?

Watkins Glen ;)

GRW1983
27th September 2012, 21:14
Just a quick update on the 2013 schedule. It seems that Kentucky might be making a late surge for a September 22 slot running as part of the NASCAR Nationwide weekend. The consensus seems to be that the same venues as 2012 will return (minus Edmonton), with Pocono, Providence, Houston & Kentucky being the additions. Detroit, Sonoma & Houston are being touted as the possible doubleheader venues. So, if all goes well, we could be looking at 18 venues with 20-21 races, depending on how many doubleheaders there are.

bugeyedgomer
29th September 2012, 06:47
Bernie probably wouldn't want people to see how much more competetive Indycars are than F1

a mosquito on an elephant

jarrambide
30th September 2012, 03:13
Bernie probably wouldn't want people to see how much more competetive Indycars are than F1, but he aready gets that from GP2.

Yes, I'm sure Bernie E. is afraid of Indy Car, he can't sleep at night wishing and hoping F1 millions fans around the world never get to see an IC race, if that happens, F1 is doomed baby :)

If you ask me, if I were IC, I wouldn't want the few fans I have left to see how a race is when you don't have the SC out 6 or 7 times in a track ;)

FIAT1
30th September 2012, 14:48
I would never compare F1 to any other series as it is pinnacle of motor racing, however history tells us that overpriced formula didn't do well in the past after few years especially in the place where monstrosity like nascar took strong hold. I predict when novelty dies out and high fees take their toll that Indycar is going to have beatiful road track to race on.

heliocastroneves#3
30th September 2012, 15:27
Formula One is only the pinnacle of racing because there's much more money involved. F1 drivers are what I call spoiled brats, even overtaking is easy there... I would never compare F1 to anything or vice versa. I even don't compare the IRL IndyCar Series with CART/ChampCar, and I don't think it's needed to compare. Enjoy life, enjoy racing and enjoy this forum. :)

FIAT1
30th September 2012, 16:22
Formula One is only the pinnacle of racing because there's much more money involved. F1 drivers are what I call spoiled brats, even overtaking is easy there... Enjoy life, enjoy racing and enjoy this forum. :)

I can appreciate a fact that some of the substance is legal in the mother land ,but please ease up on heavy stuff.

jarrambide
30th September 2012, 17:08
Formula One is only the pinnacle of racing because there's much more money involved. F1 drivers are what I call spoiled brats, even overtaking is easy there... I would never compare F1 to anything or vice versa. I even don't compare the IRL IndyCar Series with CART/ChampCar, and I don't think it's needed to compare. Enjoy life, enjoy racing and enjoy this forum. :)

That's a little bit simplistic, but the money part is right.

The same is true about the NFL, MLB, The Premier League, La Liga, and the World Cup, they are the pinnacle because of all the money, but the only reason they have all of that money is because they have millions of fans willing to watch them, it is a virtuous cycle, as it is know, it is a real circle in perpetual movement, because you have fans, you have sponsorship money, because you have sponsorship money, you get the best players/drivers, the best tracks/stadiums, the best PR, because you have all of this, you have fans, because you have fans you have..................................

Open Wheel Racing was never the pinnacle of racing in the world, but it was the pinnacle of racing in the US, we had the fans, we had the money, we lost the fans, we lost the money, we went from a virtuous cycle to a vicious cycle, because we don't have fans, we don't have the money, because we don't have the money, we have drivers that other didn't want, crappy street courses in which you are right, overtaking is not easy, it is almost impossible, we have ovals with empty seats, we have no PR whatsoever, because we don't have the money, we don;t have the fans, because we................................................ ........................

We can wish the USGP to go away quickly so that we can use someone's backup plan, we can enjoy life and racing, but the truth is that if something doesn't change, and quickly, we will all be enjoying racing, just not Indy Car.

anthonyvop
30th September 2012, 20:31
F1 drivers are what I call spoiled brats,

And yet the vast majority of the drivers on the IndyCar grid started their racing career with a dream to be in F1....including your namesake.

So what makes them? Wannabee spoiled Brats?

jimispeed
1st October 2012, 20:48
I actually like the schedule. But, a little more quickness, Road America and at least one airport circuit would be nice!