PDA

View Full Version : New open wheel series

OLDTYMERACER
19th September 2012, 16:49
The idea of a new open wheel series and NASTY CAR running Indycar out of business must have been created by someone with either a weird sense of humor or someone in need of help. Consider the recent investments made by Indy car owners for the new formula engines and chassis.
It makes no sense that owners like Penske and Ganassi woud jump ship, now. In addition it does not make any sense that Nscar would run another weekend double header when they already have Cup, Nationwide and Truck. he only benefit realized from such a crazy idea is the it would drive Kyle Busch, NUTS!

Keep in mind that The Indianapolis 500 is still king of all races and that it kicks NASTY CAR's 900 pound gorilla in the rear end on Memorial Day!

heliocastroneves#3
19th September 2012, 17:12
Keep in mind that The Indianapolis 500 is still king of all races and that it kicks NASTY CAR's 900 pound gorilla in the rear end on Memorial Day!
Gorilla... The perfect word to insult a NASCAR vehicle with xD.

SoCalPVguy
19th September 2012, 23:46
0.2 TV rating 10K (maybe) in the stands for a down to the wire championship finish.
Looks like nobody cares about Indycar any more :-(
On a network that you can't find apparently.
Nasty-car (I like that) could leverage (er strong arm) real networks like Fox, ABC, ESPN into covering a Nascar open wheel series, stock it with household name nationwide / sprint cup drivers, build a Panoz (they own them now, ya know) on the cheap with a 4-L stock block injected sprint cup engine, run it on IMS tracks that they already own for no sanctioning fees (i.e. for 'free') and run INDYCAR outta town in a heartbeat.
Do not poo poo this scenario !!!!

PS to the above Poster Ganassi & Penske are already All In for Nascar so do not think they wouldn't jump ship like they did in CART !

PPS- The I 500 used to get ratings of 15+ now its barely a 4... mark my words, the IMS will be an ISC track within 5 years.

bugeyedgomer
20th September 2012, 02:10
Keep in mind that The Indianapolis 500 is still king of all races and that it kicks NASTY CAR's 900 pound gorilla in the rear end on Memorial Day! The indy 500 has beaten the 600 one time in the last 12 years. that's some real kickin

Starter
22nd September 2012, 02:27
Nasty-car (I like that) could leverage (er strong arm) real networks like Fox, ABC, ESPN into covering a Nascar open wheel series, stock it with household name nationwide / sprint cup drivers, build a Panoz (they own them now, ya know) on the cheap with a 4-L stock block injected sprint cup engine, run it on IMS tracks that they already own for no sanctioning fees (i.e. for 'free') and run INDYCAR outta town in a heartbeat.
I'm of the opinion that scenario may have anti trust implications. This ain't major league baseball.

Granatelli
22nd September 2012, 03:00
I'm not worried a bit about this rumor. there were 30k at the final and am sure there will be at least 50-60k next year. these cars are racy and have the best drivers- they'll be back in popularity soon. wont be as big as NASCAR, but itwill attract a good base of fans. I know quite a few newbie fans- can't wait till next year.

SoCalPVguy
22nd September 2012, 07:05
I'm not worried a bit about this rumor. there were 30k at the final and am sure there will be at least 50-60k next year. these cars are racy and have the best drivers- they'll be back in popularity soon. wont be as big as NASCAR, but itwill attract a good base of fans. I know quite a few newbie fans- can't wait till next year.

Sorry not 30K at Fontana, at best 1/4 to 1/3 of the center section only, east - west sections were closed, max. 10K attended, as each section is about 1/3 of the 100K total grandstand seating Check the pics. And it wasn't just the heat that kept people away, heck even lowly Ucla drew 70K down the road in the Rose Bowl against even lowlier Houston. It was a lack of promotion, even all the free AAA ticket takers didn't show up... Fontana has never drawn more than 10-20K since IRL days so I do not know what you base your future hopeful estimate of 50-60K on.

SoCalPVguy
22nd September 2012, 07:12
I'm of the opinion that scenario may have anti trust implications. This ain't major league baseball.

There is no anti trust if Nascar starts an open wheel series in competition to ICS and ICS simply withers away. Its just the market speaking. Antitrust only occurs when a competitor is prevented from competition against the so called cartel. As long as Nascar, for example,does not prevent a rival start up or hinders or prevents other networks from televising a rival series it is not antitrust. Look at the NFL, it is the only professional football league at this time, yet rival leagues start all the time (USFL, XFL...) and they ultimately fail but the NFL is not an antitrust operation.

anthonyvop
22nd September 2012, 14:46

No it doesn't.

The 2012 Indy 500 drew a 4.1 rating. The NASCAR race that same day drew a 6.7. So basically your "king" is NASCAR's b*tch!

Granatelli
22nd September 2012, 16:22
it's getting more popular, I know a handful of new fans so I know it's happening. if there were only 10K there (and there were not) why does the track want indy back? they like losing money? No.

jarrambide
22nd September 2012, 17:15
it's getting more popular, I know a handful of new fans so I know it's happening. if there were only 10K there (and there were not) why does the track want indy back? they like losing money? No.

Your proof that it is getting more popular is that you know a handful of new fans?, Well, my proof that the earth is flat is that I personally live in a part of Texas that is as flat as a pizza.

My proof is that I know a lot of people who used to care about Indy Cars (CART, CCWS, IRL) and now couldn't care less, I remember meeting and having dinner with so many fine people during races, they couldn't care less about Indy Car now, I didn't miss a single race for years, I saw half of the races this year, and some of them just a part of it.

The thing is that your proof and my proof are not valid, they are just personal experiences, the real proof is the number of tickets sold (sold, not freebies), and the TV ratings, mainly the TV ratings, no one is watching anymore, but I'm sure your 5 friends that are new fans will move that 0.2 rating to a 0.201

00steven
23rd September 2012, 00:24
No it doesn't.

The 2012 Indy 500 drew a 4.1 rating. The NASCAR race that same day drew a 6.7. So basically your "king" is NASCAR's b*tch!

Rex Monaco
23rd September 2012, 02:51
My proof is that I know a lot of people who used to care about Indy Cars (CART, CCWS, IRL) and now couldn't care less.

That's me. I'm curious about Indycar for the same reason I'm curious about Lindsey Lohan. I'm just waiting for the news that one of them has died. My money is on Lohan surviving longer than Indycar.