PDA

View Full Version : Prof. Sid Watkins

Dave B
12th September 2012, 22:29
Various sources are reporting the great professor has passed away - I'm trying to verify this.

The man is a legend in F1, there are people who literally owe their lives to him.

Nikki Katz
12th September 2012, 22:42
Terrible news if true, RIP :(

Dave B
12th September 2012, 22:51
Seems it's true:

@rubarrichello

It was Sid Watkins that saved my life in Imola 94.great guy to be with,always happy...tks for everything u have done for us drivers.RIP

10:49 PM Sep 12th via Twitter for iPhone
Twitter / rubarrichello: It was Sid Watkins that saved ... (http://twitter.com/rubarrichello/status/246002714675404800)

:(

AndyL
12th September 2012, 23:02
Sad news indeed.

The Black Knight
12th September 2012, 23:08
Yes, it is true. He has passed away. Very sad news. A true gentleman. He will be missed. I'm sure Ayrton is up there waiting for him.

It's rare news like this affects me but tonight I go to bed with tears in my eyes.

RIP Sid! Probably one of the most respected and liked men ever in F1.

MrJan
12th September 2012, 23:19
There are few that come as liked as the Prof, a huge lost for motorsport and the world. RIP.

jonny hurlock
13th September 2012, 01:38
R.I.P. Professor Sid Watkins 1928 –2012, Time to fish with Ayrton Senna in heaven now #RIPProfessorSidWatkins

jonny hurlock
13th September 2012, 01:38
Also, I am surprise that Autosport, Sky or the BBC haven't written anything up on the death of Professor Sid Watkins yet.

00steven
13th September 2012, 01:41
Very sad day for autosport all over the world...

Robinho
13th September 2012, 01:56
Sad news, he was a genuinely great man and will be missed

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

kfzmeister
13th September 2012, 04:51
Read his Book, Life on the limit. The man's contributions to the sport cannot be fully realized. Like said before, going fishing with Ayrton......

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/09/the-great-prof-watkins-passes-away/

i_max2k2
13th September 2012, 06:48
A sad day for motorsports, May he rest in peace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mark
13th September 2012, 07:42
An amazing man little known to those outside Motorsport. How many are alive today both in and out of motorsport because of him.

Knock-on
13th September 2012, 08:45
Just got off the plane and saw this. What a truly great man.

ShiftingGears
13th September 2012, 10:10
RIP. Made fantastic contributions to motorsport.

wedge
13th September 2012, 11:47
Rest In Peace, Prof.

Fantastic contribution to motorsport with the safety and medical facilities for circuits and saving countless lives in and out of motorsport.

BBC managed to catch Sid at Silverstone and it seemed he needed a minder and looked rather frail/of ill health for an 80-something year old - I just lost a grand uncle who was rather spritely for someone who just missed out on being 90.

Hopefully Sid is up there fishing with Ayrton.

Also, I am surprise that Autosport, Sky or the BBC haven't written anything up on the death of Professor Sid Watkins yet.

James Allen reported it on his website before I went to bed last night (midnight) but nothing from Autosport, et al.

MrJan
13th September 2012, 12:14
James Allen reported it on his website before I went to bed last night (midnight) but nothing from Autosport, et al.

They were probably waiting for confirmation, a lot of what I saw was "reports on Twitter say" etc. The Beeb certainly had an article by 7:30 this morning when I got up though.

Tazio
13th September 2012, 14:06
By all accounts a good doctor, and a credit to F1. RIP

D-Type
13th September 2012, 14:39
What to say?

To him Formula 1 was a sideline, the 'day job' was as a top neurosurgeon. In addition to F1 and other racing drivers there are many others who owe their lives to him.

A long life, lived well.

Malbec
13th September 2012, 16:07
What to say?

To him Formula 1 was a sideline, the 'day job' was as a top neurosurgeon. In addition to F1 and other racing drivers there are many others who owe their lives to him.

A long life, lived well.

True, though he took a lot of time off his work for his F1 stints.

My perspective on Sid's work is mixed. I did once work at the same hospital as him and took a few referrals from him. In his day job he was average amongst an excellent cohort of surgeons and all he did in F1 was to bring medical practices pioneered elsewhere and frankly part of everyday practice to the racetrack. However the impact of what he did on F1 was undeniable. It is sad that race organisers prior to Sid's work rejected safety to such a degree that normal 'civilians' knocked down in the street and taken to the local hospital were treated infinitely better than racing drivers who faced terrible odds of crashing on a daily basis.

He was also undeniably one of those rare things, a good bloke. That is why I mourn his passing the most.

We shouldn't forget also that none of his efforts would have come to fruition had Bernie not threatened to cancel races if Sid's demands weren't met or Max pushing through regulation changes at the FIA. They might not be the most pleasant characters but the two of them did everything they could to improve safety and support Sid. That Bernie was even prepared to sacrifice profit for safety should tell you something.

gravelman
13th September 2012, 18:25
Yes, it is true. He has passed away. Very sad news. A true gentleman. He will be missed. I'm sure Ayrton is up there waiting for him.

It's rare news like this affects me but tonight I go to bed with tears in my eyes.

RIP Sid! Probably one of the most respected and liked men ever in F1.

They might finally get to go fishing :) RIP Sid Watkins, a man who dedicated his life to ensuring those that risked theirs were provided with the safest environment to do so.

driveace
13th September 2012, 19:47
RIP Sid Watkins,you were held in high esteem in F 1 ,for the safety that is now learnt in the sport.And you will have helped to stabilise quite a number of racing drivers after accidents,especially the one involving Michael Schumaker at Silverstone,when he had a brake problem,causing him to have a horrific accident there .

wedge
14th September 2012, 00:05
Motorsport magazine have posted Simon Taylor's interview: Lunch with... Professor Sid Watkins - F1 History - Motor Sport Magazine (http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/2012/09/13/lunch-with-professor-sid-watkins/)

F1boat
14th September 2012, 09:01
RIP...

MrJan
14th September 2012, 12:21
I'm disappointed that this thread has so few people posting on it to mark their respect. If this was about the death of an old driver (for example, Jackie Stewart), then I believe it would run to many pages. IMO The Prof is every bit as important, if not more so, than any of the guys that drove the cars.

kfzmeister
14th September 2012, 15:32
I'm disappointed that this thread has so few people posting on it to mark their respect. If this was about the death of an old driver (for example, Jackie Stewart), then I believe it would run to many pages. IMO The Prof is every bit as important, if not more so, than any of the guys that drove the cars.

I'm thinking that not a lot of people really know who he was, or what he really contributed to the sport over the last 30+ years.
I really didn't either until a friend of mine, who actually met him, suggested that i read his book Life on the limit. Reading it coincided with the movie Senna that recently came out. So, i read his book and watched the movie and feel like i've learned so much more about the history of the sport. Interesting thing is that Sid and Senna's stories overlap and interesting to learn about from a few different perspectives.

MrJan
14th September 2012, 18:22
[quote="kfzmeister"]I'm thinking that not a lot of people really know who he was, or what he really contributed to the sport over the last 30+ years./QUOTE]

I suppose. I guess that as I've been watching the sport for 20+ years and heard commentary from Murray Walker and Martin Brundle that often referred to Sid, I am perhaps a bit more aware.

As you're no doubt aware it was just F1 that he contributed to. Apparently the IOC asked Seb Coe if the medical facilities at the Olympics would be "as good as F1". It's largely down to Sid Watkins that means F1 can be seen as a yardstick. The most amazing part is that F1 was a sideline for him, a part time thing. First and foremost he was a neurosurgeon, and a particularly good one from what people say.

fandango
14th September 2012, 18:52
At the end of it all, it's the death of a person. He did good things, people remember him fondly, and anyone who knows of him through being fans of F1 can say we're happy he came along and did what he did.

84, and all that.

Good luck to you, Prof, you've acheived what most people would like to have: a full life, lived well.

steveaki13
14th September 2012, 21:50
A great man.

He probably as most have said, did more to help F1 drivers and drive safety on.

He will be sadly missed.

RIP. Prof

wedge
15th September 2012, 15:01

I honestly don't blame them, its left to fans/enthusiasts with a thirst for knowledge to appreciate individuals in the sport.

Race protocol is taken for granted. Do many people under the age of 30 know Herbie Blash and Charlie Whiting were more than just 'Bernie's Cronies'?

Safety is taken so much for granted. Prof was often name checked by commentators as with Whiting.

emporer_k
15th September 2012, 15:40
RIP.

Nem14
16th September 2012, 02:10
Professor Sid Watkins was a great man.

His conributions to safety in motorports are legendary.
Anyone who has not read his book has missed out.

Come on everyone. Out loud. Three cheers for the Professor! Hip Hip Horay! Hip Hip Horay! Hip Hip Horay! God's speed Sid.

kfzmeister
16th September 2012, 04:00
I think most people who were watching F1 before say 2000 would be well aware of who he was. It sounds to me like you are fairly new to the scene so you could be excused for not realizing up until recently. :)

I've watched since 1988 so watched in an era where his name was often referred to.

I started getting into F1 around 1999, so fairly new perhaps. Did you read his book?

fandango
17th September 2012, 07:36
It must be sad for Bernie. He's no spring chicken himself, and to see someone as important as Watkins go must make him feel he's nearly on the last lap himself...

kfzmeister
27th September 2012, 19:35
Some great info on what Watkins has done over the years. Here are, arguably the top ten best improvements by Watkins over the years.
Check it out, unless you're henners88 (in which case you already knew :) ).........
The Top TEN Greatest Safety Advances In F1 10. Crowd Barriers (http://www.formula1fancast.com/2012/09/formula1teams/hispania/the-top-ten-greatest-safety-advances-in-f1/attachment/10-crowd-barriers)