View Full Version : IndyCar World Championships - Fontana Race Thread

DanicaFan
12th September 2012, 14:04
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/MAVTV500_logo-300.gif

Race 15 of 15

Race - MAVTV American Real 500 -IndyCar World Championships

Location - Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California

Date - Saturday, September 15th

Time & TV Schedule - Pre-Race Show - 7:30PM Eastern , Green Flag - Approx. 8:50 PM Eastern- NBC Sports Network

Course Type - 2 Mile Oval

Distance - 250 Laps / 500 Miles

Practice Sessions -

Friday, September 14th -1:45 PM -3:15 PM Eastern & 8:45 PM -9:30 PM Eastern

Qualifications - Friday, September 14th - 5:15 PM - 6:45 PM Eastern

Auto Club Speedway Track Information

Length -2 Miles
Banking
Turns - 14 degrees
Front Straight - 11 degrees
Back Straight - 3 degrees

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/autoclub.jpg

DanicaFan
12th September 2012, 14:05
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/fontanaentry.jpg

DanicaFan
12th September 2012, 14:05
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/fontanapits.jpg

anthonyvop
12th September 2012, 15:33
It is a shame that the championship is going to be decided on a cookie cutter oval.

FIAT1
12th September 2012, 15:50
It is a shame that the championship is going to be decided on a cookie cutter oval.

Agreed! Especially 500 miles.

loowisham
12th September 2012, 17:10
I hope Will Power takes the championship, leaves Penske and gets a ride with Dale Coyne to partner Justin Wilson the most underated driver in the paddoct and that Bordais gets to drive for HVM and Simona joins Penske.

DanicaFan
12th September 2012, 17:55

Completely disagree! Im glad its on an oval. Im sick and tired of street/road courses.

anthonyvop
12th September 2012, 18:02
Completely disagree! Im glad its on an oval. Im sick and tired of street/road courses.

to each their own. Personally I want the championship decided on a challenging track without the specter of it being decided by the engineers with their fuel mileage figures.

00steven
12th September 2012, 18:51
Fontana is a good end. Also, Not a "cookie cutter", Michigan's the only track like it.

Nikki Katz
13th September 2012, 08:33
I just hope it's better than the finale last year.

heliocastroneves#3
13th September 2012, 15:10
Last years' accident was nothing more than bad luck. I'm sure that this won't happen again, having that said; As much as like road/street courses, I prefer oval racing though. It's fast, close and dangerous. We already have a way too little amount of ovals, so I'm more than happy that the championship is going to be decided on a fast oval like this, with a 500 mile race under the lights. I would prefer to see the season finale on Las Vegas Motor Speedway but after last years' accident, I think that should wait a couple of years. Racing in common and especially a season finale is so much more exciting on an oval than on a road/street course. This is not F1 or Champ Car, this is the IndyCar Series!

FIAT1
13th September 2012, 17:01
Last years' accident was nothing more than bad luck. I'm sure that this won't happen again, having that said; As much as like road/street courses, I prefer oval racing though. It's fast, close and dangerous. We already have a way too little amount of ovals, so I'm more than happy that the championship is going to be decided on a fast oval like this, with a 500 mile race under the lights. I would prefer to see the season finale on Las Vegas Motor Speedway but after last years' accident, I think that should wait a couple of years. Racing in common and especially a season finale is so much more exciting on an oval than on a road/street course. This is not F1 or Champ Car, this is the IndyCar Series!

Oh please, last year accident was not bad luck ,it was lunacy of spec packed racing created by idiots . Oval race is crapshoot to decide champion, in comparison to road and street when it comes to measure craft and skill of one driver. Very foolish to bring up F1, Indycar of yesterday to anything today, and many agree, because obviously no one is watching. There is no reason why Indycar should ever again race on the high banked ovals.

booger
13th September 2012, 19:39
Gee, from the very few comments being posted here, there isn't much enthusiasm or excitement leading up to Saturday's race. Could it be that even diehard fans don't give a crap anymore? Sad.

Anubis
13th September 2012, 20:48
Here's hoping for a safe race and an honest title fight. Sato for the race win! It'll happen one of these days.

bugeyedgomer
13th September 2012, 21:15
Gee, from the very few comments being posted here, there isn't much enthusiasm or excitement leading up to Saturday's race. Could it be that even diehard fans don't give a crap anymore? Sad.

including reporters and track personnel, 449 people in the stands for Wednesday's night action. A Curt Cavin wannabe counted.

bugeyedgomer
13th September 2012, 22:17
Conway says, " no mas"

Mike Conway has asked to sit out the IndyCar season finale at Auto Club Speedway and will be replaced in Saturday night's race by Wade Cunningham.

Conway told AJ Foyt Racing he is not comfortable racing on ovals and no longer wishes to compete on them. Conway missed most of the 2010 season with injuries suffered in a serious accident at Indianapolis, and was in an accident there again this year.
Mike Conway asks out of IndyCar race at Fontana (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/mike-conway-asks-out-indycar-race-fontana)

Nikki Katz
13th September 2012, 22:43
Conway could easily have been killed at Indy this year, I'm not sure I'd be too happy either! If this is true then it may be the end of his IndyCar career though.

00steven
14th September 2012, 13:07
Game over for Conway.

jwhite9185
14th September 2012, 13:59
Game over for Conway.

Yeah im of the opinion teams want a driver for the whole season and not just the road courses. Best he can hope for now is super sub.

keysersoze
14th September 2012, 16:43
According to the drivers, the track will have to be driven. Thirteen years ago Fontana was the scene of a gruesome accident that claimed the life of immensely-talented CART star Greg Moore. There are bumps in the turns that are unsettling the cars. There have been at least two wrecks in testing, one involving the championship contender. My favorite driver (Mike Conway), who has had a few nasty oval wrecks himself and who was a beast for a while at Indy this year, could not get comfortable and opted to never race on an oval again.

How anyone can diminish the nature of the (oval) race just doesn't know what they are talking about.

booger
14th September 2012, 17:53
Real racers race wherever, whenever and whatever they can. Conway is not a REAL racer, he's a pussy. Winners never quit and quitters never win. Sure, he had some nasty shunts, but so did his car owner, AJ Foyt, and he never quit after a crash. I'm sure AJ's saying "good riddance to bad rubbish!" Oh, and by the way, I HAVE raced open wheel on ovals, road circuits and street races, so I guess I have a right to comment.

FIAT1
14th September 2012, 18:43
Real racers race wherever, whenever and whatever they can. Conway is not a REAL racer, he's a pussy. Winners never quit and quitters never win. Sure, he had some nasty shunts, but so did his car owner, AJ Foyt, and he never quit after a crash. I'm sure AJ's saying "good riddance to bad rubbish!" Oh, and by the way, I HAVE raced open wheel on ovals, road circuits and street races, so I guess I have a right to comment.

I agree with you to some degree, but trashing the guy is little harsh. He was not afraid to tell the truth, and made a decision on his own career and future instead hurting himself and others. When you have that feeling on your mind, it is time is to stop, and as a racer you know that. He didn't hurt anyone,he did not blame anyone, he didn't lie about it ,he just made a decision that should be respected because is his life. Wish you all the best Mike.

booger
14th September 2012, 19:25
So do you think he'll enjoy the half oval lap he'll have to make on the Daytona Speedway, if and when he finds a job in sportscars? Wasn't trashing him, strictly posting an opinion. And if I were a car owner, I wouldn't want him behind the wheel in my equipment! Racers have to exude a certain attitude, and he ain't got it.

bugeyedgomer
14th September 2012, 20:00
Real racers race wherever, whenever and whatever they can. Conway is not a REAL racer, he's a pussy. Winners never quit and quitters never win.

let's put you in the two seater and run you through the grater a couple of times

FIAT1
14th September 2012, 22:03
So do you think he'll enjoy the half oval lap he'll have to make on the Daytona Speedway, if and when he finds a job in sportscars? Wasn't trashing him, strictly posting an opinion. And if I were a car owner, I wouldn't want him behind the wheel in my equipment! Racers have to exude a certain attitude, and he ain't got it.

He ain't got it I know, but what I'm saying he was honest about it, and he retired, therefore he's gonna have to live with his decision. I don't know what future holds for him but he did not do anything wrong ,actualy if he stayed and raced with that frame of mind and endangering everyone would be wrong, man knowing his own limitations stopped, he did honorable thing in my opinion.
Personally I think there is few more in that field who should do the same.

bugeyedgomer
14th September 2012, 22:19
engine madness: 14 of 25 entries to suffer 10- grid position penalty for installing fresh powerplants.

keysersoze
14th September 2012, 23:34

Too bad your comments consist of just about every tired cliche in the book. You may call yourself a racer, but you can't call yourself a thinker. Name calling? Really? What are you, 16, 17?

"Real racer?" You people (and there's a few out there like you who toss around that term like it means something) are so full of yourself.

Tell us: have you actually won races? And, if you did, were any of them in F3, GP2, or in Indycars? In winning over 20 races in those categories, Mike has won Long Beach and Macau, the most coveted races outside of a few F1 venues like Monaco, Spa, and Monza.

heliocastroneves#3
15th September 2012, 00:00
With all the respect but a driver who doesn't want to race on ovals, shouldn't be in the IndyCar Series. Conway is not a pussy, absolutely not but if I was Mike, I would try to get a seat in ALMS or something like that.

garyshell
15th September 2012, 05:07

Yes, you were most assuredly trashing him. Mike was man enough to admit he isn't cut out for ovals like Fontana, you really ought to be man enough to stand behind your own comments. Please explain the difference between trashing him and "strictly posting an opinion".

If I were an owner, Mike is EXACTLY the kind of guy I'd want to drive for me. A guy who is honest about what he can and can't do, rather than some macho fool who can't admit he's in over his head and then goes out on the track and risks his and everyone else's lives in the process. I'd want a guy with the atitude AND the brains to go with it.

Gary

bugeyedgomer
15th September 2012, 07:19
Yes, you were most assuredly trashing him. Mike was man enough to admit he isn't cut out for ovals like Fontana, you really ought to be man enough to stand behind your own comments. Please explain the difference between trashing him and "strictly posting an opinion".

If I were an owner, Mike is EXACTLY the kind of guy I'd want to drive for me. A guy who is honest about what he can and can't do, rather than some macho fool who can't admit he's in over his head and then goes out on the track and risks his and everyone else's lives in the process. I'd want a guy with the atitude AND the brains to go with it.

Gary
his eager, gung-ho replacement ran into somebody and then the wall

Phoenixent
15th September 2012, 08:19

For your information Fontana is not a cookie cutter oval.... That term is used for 1.5 mile speedway ovals built or rebuilt by Burton Smith. Fontana is a 2 mile Super Speedway of which there is only one other like it and that is Michigan.... It's a shame people just don't know the difference or they don't care.

Civic
15th September 2012, 09:09
'dinger was hanging out at Dragon today. Not sure if it's for a ride next year or because he wanted to flirt with Legge. =)

Jaques Lazier was a guest of TCGR. Stefan Johansson, who was using crutches, was also there with Scott Dixon (is he Dixon's manager?).

The stands were empty. I think more people bought and used the pit/paddock passes ($25 on top of general admission) than the ones that stayed in the grandstands.

Wilson's car has blank black sidepods. I didn't see it but I'm assuming he crashed.

Simona de Silvestro is great with the kiddie fans. She stopped a conversation she was having with a crew member to kneel down and sign some stuff for a couple of kids and had a short conversation with the kids.

Not sure which fans are more passionate, the Japanese (whole families decked out in Sato or Kanaan gear) or Hinchtown's female residents.

This year seemed a lot more disorganized. I'll attribute it to the last few years not having IndyCar.

The pit/paddock passes are more restricted than the last time. You can't get close to the cars in the pits or go on the roof of the pit suites. It's a lot harder for a fan to get a good place for taking pictures of the cars on the track.

I bought a Saturday ticket too, but there are no refunds. I'm not sure if I want to drive another 2 hours back up to the track. Today was hot and I did a lot of walking to and from the pits to the grandstands. Spent $24 on Gatorades ($4/bottle) because I was so dehydrated. Despite drinking all that, I didn't have to go pee for over 7 hours.

I'll post some pics soon.

Nikki Katz
15th September 2012, 12:58
Didn't Cunningham trigger the accident last year too? Though having said that, it was very nearly Tagliani a couple of laps earlier (which would have resulted in even more carnage and perhaps multiple deaths), and would have been someone else a couple of laps later if that hadn't happened. It was clear from lap 1 how that was going to end.

Hopefully it'll be a good race though, there hasn't been any pack racing on ovals this year, which is good, although I still find that crash at Indy frightening.

Nikki Katz
15th September 2012, 13:23
Viso's threatened to quit on Twitter now E.J. Viso (EJVISO) on Twitter (http://es.twitter.com/EJVISO)
Might just be a bluff to try to get the series to increase downforce for the race rather than actually pulling out though.

nigelred5
15th September 2012, 15:32
Oh please, last year accident was not bad luck ,it was lunacy of spec packed racing created by idiots . Oval race is crapshoot to decide champion, in comparison to road and street when it comes to measure craft and skill of one driver. Very foolish to bring up F1, Indycar of yesterday to anything today, and many agree, because obviously no one is watching. There is no reason why Indycar should ever again race on the high banked ovals.

California is neither "high" banked or cookie cutter and I'm glad to finally see Indycars back on a real oval track they should have never left. Fontana was BUILT for Indycars unlike the 1.5's that were built to be NASCAR tracks.

DanicaFan
15th September 2012, 15:50
Marco Andretti on the pole for this race.

FIAT1
15th September 2012, 16:33
California is neither "high" banked or cookie cutter and I'm glad to finally see Indycars back on a real oval track they should have never left. Fontana was BUILT for Indycars unlike the 1.5's that were built to be NASCAR tracks.

Agreed? I did say should never race on high banked ovals.

jarrambide
15th September 2012, 17:44

A lot of high banked short ovals (not this one, but many others) , and a lot of street courses just makes this series not very interesting for me, I know a lot of people that think like this.

I am no fan of ovals, don't care a lot for them, just not my cup of tea, but at least in the past, you had more tracks like Eurospeedway Lausitz who proved to me you could have real passing on an oval instead of just pressing your accelerator (that track also proved how dangerous ovals are).

I love circuits, but not the street circuits we pretty much have in Indy Car, I'm not saying I dislike temporary circuits, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and Parque Fundidora in Monterrey are great examples, you build a real track inside a park, but just close the park during race weeks, I even like street circuits like Albert Park Lake, but most of our street circuits look more like Monaco than Albert Park Lake.

I bought tickets to Austin's F1 the first day of the presale, I watch every single F1 race, I have not watched every Indy Car race this year, the re used to be a time where I would attend a few races and I would watch every single CART then Champ Car race.

p1bump
15th September 2012, 17:58
the 500 miler at Fontana would be more palpable if there were other 500's on the schedule aside from Indianapolis. As it is, it's a one off oddity of sorts, unlike the rest. It's akin to the superbowl being played ironman style instead of how the rest of the season has been played. Either way...

Credit and Kudos to Jimmy Vasser for (I believe) still holding the record for the fastest 500 miles in history. It was not at baja, at California in 2002, driving the Rahal entry Lola Ford sponsored by Shell. I was there that caution free day and I hope we have a caution free day today.

I also pray that Conway isn't the man who ended up being correct by reading the writing on the wall of impending doom. As evidenced at long beach, these cars are frisbees. frankly they suck, but no one is listening. I had a dream that one of them was updated with a featureless raised nose (like the 1994 ish benneton) with a new aero kit.

the good old days, men were men because race cars were race cars.

FIAT1
15th September 2012, 18:06
the 500 miler at Fontana would be more palpable if there were other 500's on the schedule aside from Indianapolis. As it is, it's a one off oddity of sorts, unlike the rest. It's akin to the superbowl being played ironman style instead of how the rest of the season has been played. Either way...

Credit and Kudos to Jimmy Vasser for (I believe) still holding the record for the fastest 500 miles in history. It was not at baja, at California in 2002, driving the Rahal entry Lola Ford sponsored by Shell. I was there that caution free day and I hope we have a caution free day today.

I also pray that Conway isn't the man who ended up being correct by reading the writing on the wall of impending doom. As evidenced at long beach, these cars are frisbees. frankly they suck, but no one is listening. I had a dream that one of them was updated with a featureless raised nose (like the 1994 ish benneton) with a new aero kit.

the good old days, men were men because race cars were race cars.

Good post, and it was Gil de Ferran not Vasser.

2000 CART Fontana - Gil de Ferran's Closed Course Record - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8GTL0_rMA)

p1bump
15th September 2012, 18:10
on a eerie and spooky note and hopefully not a doomed tribute to the greatest #99 of all time, two young north american drivers in the field with hand braces for recent hand injuries, praying the exit of turn two never returns to haunt as it did that fateful October day. ... I'm just glad they paved the infield.

p1bump
15th September 2012, 18:16

2000 CART Fontana - Gil de Ferran's Closed Course Record - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8GTL0_rMA)

DeFerran's record was a lap record.
Jimmy's record was for a full 500 mile race. 2002 The 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_The_500)
Also reffered to here. 500 Miles To Glory Saturday Night For Power, Hunter-Reay - Indianapolis Motor Speedway (http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/default/news/show/51933-500-miles-to-glory-saturday-night-for-power-hunter-reay/)
and here http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/8376226/indycar-power-ryan-hunter-reay-ready-settle-2012-title

but, yeah, DeFerran's lap was pretty sweet and the cars more beautiful, even if the cockpit opening seems large enough to park a dirt bike.

p1bump
15th September 2012, 18:44

Don't know why my first reply with links didn't go through, but I'm on my tablet now, so you'll have to research it yourself. Look up the 2002 500 mile race at Fontana. It remains the fastest 500 in history, Jimmy Vasser was the winner in the Rahal Lola/Ford with shell sponsorship. DaMatta was flying too but his Toyota let go in spectacular fashion.

FIAT1
15th September 2012, 19:40
Don't know why my first reply with links didn't go through, but I'm on my tablet now, so you'll have to research it yourself. Look up the 2002 500 mile race at Fontana. It remains the fastest 500 in history, Jimmy Vasser was the winner in the Rahal Lola/Ford with shell sponsorship. DaMatta was flying too but his Toyota let go in spectacular fashion.

All good ,two different things.

Civic
15th September 2012, 21:18
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03100.jpg

Legge and 'dinger
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03065.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03060.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03103.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 22:56
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03126.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03129-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03130.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03181.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03204.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 22:57
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03215.jpg

One of the guys from Pimp My Ride.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03220.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03233.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03247.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03347.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 22:59
Trying to get one of Kanaan's mechanics to save 15% or more on car insurance.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03291.jpg

Rubens' car.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03338.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03379.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03400.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 23:03
Empty stands. The ends of the stands were taped off.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03404.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03405.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03406.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03407.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03408-1.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 23:05
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03416.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03420.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03484.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03485.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03486.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 23:06
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03493.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03502.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03536.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03568.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03584.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 23:07
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03598.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03599.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03600.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03609.jpg

Dario describing the up/down motion of the car on the bumps.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03626.jpg

Civic
15th September 2012, 23:07
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03649-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/HybridsRacing/DSC03667.jpg

nigelred5
16th September 2012, 03:40
points scenarios posted by Tony over at MSF...

http://www.shanerogers.com.au/PointScenariosUSVersion.pdf

call_me_andrew
16th September 2012, 04:50
It seems the radio crew has never seen a red flag before.

bugeyedgomer
16th September 2012, 21:42
http://www.autoracing1.com/IMAGES/HISTORIC/BIG/98FONTANA_550.JPG

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/keF76Q1qx8fpCJ9CWJ52Wg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNDE7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201209152149785526540-p2.jpeg

gm99
16th September 2012, 22:00
Even in here, there's hardly any response to the Fontana race.

Will Power - often the bridesmaid, never the bride: Third runner-up finish in as many years. I wonder if Penske are pondering whether it was such a brilliant idea after all to get Briscoe ahead of Will at Sonoma. On the other hand, this has probably been Power's least impressive of the past three seasons, with all of his three wins (as compared to four by RHR) coming in the early stages of the season, the last one having been at round four in late April.

In any case, it was a good season without any major injuries or worse, and it's great to have a new champion.

Phoenixent
17th September 2012, 00:02
Congrats to RHR for winning the Championship as he did exactly what he was suppose to do.

As for Will I feel bad about him losing the championship for the third straight year. Penske has a big problem on his teams and I don't know if it can be fixed without rebuilding all the teams. Tim Cindric has lost several championships with two very talented drivers and this year the biggest mistake was in Baltimore with the rain tires. That was the deciding factor that allowed RHR to catch and eventually win the championship. I do believe that if this is ever corrected it will be are to stop Will Power winning several championships. If Will Power ever gets that offer from Chip Ganassi to drive the 9 or 10 car he should take it if Penske is still unable to get that championship.

FormerFF
17th September 2012, 01:15
First off, congratulations to RHR and Ed for their wins, both kept their heads when a lot of others did not. Both men earned their victories.

Now, who was it that told Will that he needed to pass RHR before the pit stop? Was it Tim Cindric? Why did Will need to pass Ryan at all? If he'd not tried to pass, chances are he wouldn't have been down that low and would still have been in the race. That was an unnecessary risk and it cost them a championship.

I've heard on this board any number of times that we need more ovals. After watching this race, I have to ask why. To the good, there were lots of lead changes, but let's be realistic, only those in the last 10 laps count for anything. Also, many of us had been wondering what would happen if the drivers had to drive the cars in the turns, we found out. If the driver gets at all past the limit, the car spins and crashes. Many more races like this and most of the teams will be bankrupt. And, for all this effort, the crowd was sparse.

There just aren't that many ovals worth running. Treasure the ones that are, because I don't see oval racing as being a large part of the schedule.

FIAT1
17th September 2012, 12:06
Congrats to Ryan, race was good, these cars need to go faster.

wedge
17th September 2012, 14:18
Congrats to RHR. Truly deserved it accomplishing on the road courses, street courses and ovals.

A one off oddity of sorts is when you run Michigan 500s twice in the same year...

edv
17th September 2012, 15:26
Now, who was it that told Will that he needed to pass RHR before the pit stop? Was it Tim Cindric? Why did Will need to pass Ryan at all? If he'd not tried to pass, chances are he wouldn't have been down that low and would still have been in the race. That was an unnecessary risk and it cost them a championship.

Not sure who told him to go, but I think the impetus was the fact that the leaders were coming up behind Power & RHR at the time. I'd expect that if both were gonna be lapped, you'd want to be the first, just in case of a badly timed caution flag.
Still a bad decision...Power should have simply stayed on RHR's tail for the whole race IMO.

Phoenixent
17th September 2012, 19:07
Not sure who told him to go, but I think the impetus was the fact that the leaders were coming up behind Power & RHR at the time. I'd expect that if both were gonna be lapped, you'd want to be the first, just in case of a badly timed caution flag.
Still a bad decision...Power should have simply stayed on RHR's tail for the whole race IMO.

I think maybe it's time to bring in someone like Big Al to coach Will on how to win a championship. Al Unser Sr. won his championships not just by winning races but also completing races and that is something Will needs to learn. Another thing he need to do is make the decision to come into the pits and change the tires. By doing that he might have done better at Baltimore than being let down by his crew......

heliocastroneves#3
17th September 2012, 20:03
A great end of a great season and a true champion has been crowned! Will Power once again finished second and does not deserve a championship until he proves himself on the ovals IMO but I liked the fact that he was able to congratulate Hunter-Reay, despite feeling so disappointed at that moment. Congratulations Ryan, the Indy 500 is probably your next step! :)

Civic
18th September 2012, 05:53
I read Robin's article today and he mentioned something about ticket promotions for the race. What promotions? I didn't see anything about ticket promotions. At least for Long Beach I would see vouchers for free Friday admission at gas stations.

I'm just curious to see if I could've saved some money! =) Spent a total of $80 for general admission Friday and Saturday, and pit/paddock pass for Friday and Saturday.

Also, I spent $24 on six Gatorade bottles ($4/each) on Friday. I did a lot of walking around between the pits and going back and forth through the tunnel alternating watching from the grandstands and the pits. It seemed hotter than the devil's crotch that day!

mr_swiss
18th September 2012, 05:56
I read Robin's article today and he mentioned something about ticket promotions for the race. What promotions? I didn't see anything about ticket promotions. At least for Long Beach I would see vouchers for free Friday admission at gas stations.

I'm just curious to see if I could've saved some money! =) Spent a total of $80 for general admission Friday and Saturday, and pit/paddock pass for Friday and Saturday.

I got the following offer e-mailed from the Speedway:

2 General Admission tickets
2 Paddock tickets
2 Scanner rentals

For $89.00

Civic
18th September 2012, 08:01
Wow, that's a good deal considering what I paid. How did you get on the mailing list? Was it through the "Subscribe to our newsletter" section at autoclubspeedway.com? Or did you buy tickets to a previous 2012 event?

mr_swiss
18th September 2012, 15:45
I did subscribe to the newsletter, but I also signed up for the Lefty's kid club for my 5 year old. Not sure through which channel I got the deal (same e-mail address).

zako85
11th October 2012, 10:19
Being more used to Formula 1 style points system, I thought it was kind of gimmicky when Will Power's car was fixed up so he could complete a few more laps after a crash just to earn a few more points. The points are being given away too generously IMO. At very least, it would be nice if the pilot completed the majority of the race before collecting any points.