PDA

View Full Version : New Open Wheel Series Rumour

bugeyedgomer
6th September 2012, 06:11
As part of the Daytonia mafia buyout of Panoz Motorsports:

Speaking of DP-01 madness, AR1 are reporting that the autoclaves are getting fired up, and the DP-01 will be reissued. They will be renamed DaytonaCars, will include a steel roll cage, a 400hp Chevy crate engine, and will take on Indycar head to head.

Finally, the proper open wheel series Tony only talked about.

00steven
6th September 2012, 12:24
:rolleyes:

bugeyedgomer
6th September 2012, 16:24
now we know why the IRL was dumped from the ISC tracks

FIAT1
6th September 2012, 17:24
AR1? Enough said.

Stuartf12007
6th September 2012, 19:11
sounds rubbish to me

SoCalPVguy
7th September 2012, 00:09
Do not bet against Nascar trying to take out Indycar also, now that they have conquered sports car racing in the US.

call_me_andrew
7th September 2012, 03:13
As part of the Daytonia mafia buyout of Panoz Motorsports:

Speaking of DP-01 madness, AR1 are reporting that the autoclaves are getting fired up, and the DP-01 will be reissued. They will be renamed DaytonaCars, will include a steel roll cage, a 400hp Chevy crate engine, and will take on Indycar head to head.

Finally, the proper open wheel series Tony only talked about.

This is B.S. for three reasons.

1. It sounds absurd.
2. Who respects a series with a 400 hp crate engine?
3. Why would you add a steel roll cage to a carbon fiber unibody?

bugeyedgomer
7th September 2012, 07:36
you don't need more than 400hp for a light open wheel vehicle on NASCAR banked ovals. Everyone with more than half a brain knew European formula cars with 600+HP was stupid at best. RIP DW.
like the world respects trucks and grand am

bugeyedgomer
7th September 2012, 09:16
This (http://wheelsassets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DeRitis-556x371.jpg) is probably what they would end up with

MAX_THRUST
7th September 2012, 12:14
Two series would kil off open wheel, but if Nascar drivers were going to race in the series this would raise its profile. How quickly would the owners of Indy jump ship? How quickly would Ganassi and Penske jump ship. i doubt it will happen in this current climate, but if NASCAR wants it to work and are serious then I can't see it not happening.

FIAT1
7th September 2012, 12:41
No, I think it's a given that IndyCar is the next target. I'd also say there'll be no more double header weekends after next year.

I think that you have something there, as I always believe that was their plan from 95.

00steven
8th September 2012, 01:34
AR1? Enough said.

True dat.

beachbum
8th September 2012, 03:32
Mark Plourde is already signed up as CEO, so it must be real.

F1boat
8th September 2012, 10:03
This (http://wheelsassets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DeRitis-556x371.jpg) is probably what they would end up with

what is this :D

bugeyedgomer
8th September 2012, 16:19
what is this :D

It will be the RAGE at the Hungaroring in 2013. don't miss it. Alonso has scheduled a seat fitting next week.

beachbum
9th September 2012, 12:53
It will be the RAGE at the Hungaroring in 2013. don't miss it. Alonso has scheduled a seat fitting next week.Isn't Danica looking for a seat?

bugeyedgomer
9th September 2012, 16:55
Isn't Danica looking for a seat?

great point,,,this way she could continue her NASCAR career

SoCalPVguy
10th September 2012, 00:02
You guys are laughing now.. but it would be so easy for Nascar to take out Indycar just like "that". Indycar is weakened with no viable TV coverage or sponsors. Nascar can re-purpose the Panoz DP01 with the std. taxi cab 5.0-L fuel injected engine now being used in Sprint cup and built by several engine shops. Use popular household name nationwide, truck series and sprint cup drivers, muscle existing big name sponsors into assisting, and show it all over their full time ABC, ESPN, FOX and Speed networks and use their extensive network of promotors and ISC race tracks... Laugh now but you'll be cryin' when this happens and it will happen. The indycar series will die first and eventually the I500 will have to accept the Nascar spec for that race. Follow the Grandam blueprint that conquered ALMS and you have the template. Of course its all TG's fault for the split itself and letting Nascar in the Indianapolis gates at all, but too late for finger pointing. El Predicto II: The sisters sell Indy facility to Nascar / ISC within 5 years.

00steven
10th September 2012, 00:39
You guys are laughing now.. but it would be so easy for Nascar to take out Indycar just like "that". Indycar is weakened with no viable TV coverage or sponsors. Nascar can re-purpose the Panoz DP01 with the std. taxi cab 5.0-L fuel injected engine now being used in Sprint cup and built by several engine shops. Use popular household name nationwide, truck series and sprint cup drivers, muscle existing big name sponsors into assisting, and show it all over their full time ABC, ESPN, FOX and Speed networks and use their extensive network of promotors and ISC race tracks... Laugh now but you'll be cryin' when this happens and it will happen. The indycar series will die first and eventually the I500 will have to accept the Nascar spec for that race. Follow the Grandam blueprint that conquered ALMS and you have the template. Of course its all TG's fault for the split itself and letting Nascar in the Indianapolis gates at all, but too late for finger pointing. El Predicto II: The sisters sell Indy facility to Nascar / ISC within 5 years.

If this happened (big if), F1 would be it for me. I don't think Indycar needs NASCAR to get involved to implode, they have done that themselves.

bugeyedgomer
10th September 2012, 03:53
Chris Paff would be all for it,,, no more danged strett racing,,,all ovals,,,boooyah

edv
10th September 2012, 15:57
This is B.S. for three reasons.

1. It sounds absurd.
2. Who respects a series with a 400 hp crate engine?
3. Why would you add a steel roll cage to a carbon fiber unibody?

If this open-wheel series was to race together with Cup cars at the same track on the same weekend, I don't think NASCAR would be happy about the open-wheel cars setting faster lap times than the Cup cars...perhaps a contributing factor to the idea of low HP engines.

loowisham
11th September 2012, 20:20
Where or when was this mentioned on AR1? I believed that the cars (Panoz) were being used in the Superleague or whatever it is called. Are they making new cars?

Mark in Oshawa
23rd October 2012, 03:10
I am gonna call BS on this one. The US government frowns on monopolies....and if they took over Indycar racing or ran it out of business, they would be attracting some attention from the regulators in Washington......It is just a thought, but hey, they were sniffing around Bill Gates when Apple was on rocky shores....

ShiftingGears
23rd October 2012, 04:04
As far as I'm concerned this is the only case where 400hp in a premier Open Wheeler race series is acceptable.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5027/5612216592_a8ccd46b75_z.jpg

Don Capps
23rd October 2012, 14:51
As far as I'm concerned this is the only case where 400hp in a premier Open Wheeler race series is acceptable.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5027/5612216592_a8ccd46b75_z.jpg

Actually, the Eagle Mk 1 (there was NEVER an Eagle "TG1" -- that being a Len Terry invention/myth perpetuated by a gullible press) pictured at Zandvoort (chassis 'AAR-101') in 1966 has nothing close to 400 hp, the Coventry Climax FPF 2.7-litre powering the car falling well short of that figure.

Given the rather sad current state of both F1 and IndyCar in recent years, completely ignore the former and only very occasionally catch the latter.