PDA

View Full Version : Had it not been for the lower nose on this year's f1 car who knows what would have ha

CNR
4th September 2012, 01:58
Formula One pushes on with closed cockpit plans after Belgian Grand Prix pile-up | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2197803/Formula-One-pushes-closed-cockpit-plans-Belgian-Grand-Prix-pile-up.html)

Another lucky escape... time to take cover! F1 furthers closed cockpit plans after pile-up

Read more: Formula One pushes on with closed cockpit plans after Belgian Grand Prix pile-up | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2197803/Formula-One-pushes-closed-cockpit-plans-Belgian-Grand-Prix-pile-up.html#ixzz25SSfcfvJ)
http://i49.tinypic.com/291ewer.jpg

Robinho
4th September 2012, 06:14
if the noses had been higher it would still have missed alonso, it was not the nose height that spared head contact, it was the fact the car went over the ferraris nose not over the cockpit.

This incessant "What if" is getting rather tiresome. Yes, they should look very closely at the accident and preventing similar. Yes, they have to look at the potential outcomes as well as the actual and balance the risk. but to suggest what might have happened if the cars we don't have anymore were invlolved in the same accident is utterly pointless IMO.

And if its got anything to do with the Daily Mail I won't even open the link as its not worth elevating my blood pressure to read the crap they turn out, the only good bit is normally the comments section, and after about 5-10 of them I fear for the future of humanity if that is the standard of intelligence of the general population

steveaki13
5th September 2012, 22:31
Its a tough call. Safety has come so far and can always improve more. So the next logical step os for covers or canopies. However why did this not come in in 2007 when Wurz took off over DC.

Same incident different reaction.

I will watch progress with interest.

Robinho
6th September 2012, 08:50
Its a tough call. Safety has come so far and can always improve more. So the next logical step os for covers or canopies. However why did this not come in in 2007 when Wurz took off over DC.

Or at the A1 ring a few years back involving sato in the Jordan, being t boned by a flying car, a foot higher and he'd have been cut in half

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

fandango
6th September 2012, 12:46
Has anyone ever been hit in the head by a flying car in an open cockpit racing formula? It can't have happened that often, surely, to warrant making such a drastic change?

Robinho
6th September 2012, 12:56
Has anyone ever been hit in the head by a flying car in an open cockpit racing formula? It can't have happened that often, surely, to warrant making such a drastic change?

No but Henry Surtees was killed by a flying tyre, Dan wheldon was killed by impact with a fence post, massa was nearly killed by flying debris and there is a history of connections between heads and external objects in open cockpit racing. However, the talk of covering cockpits in f1 is completely pointless IMO if it is not also mandated in f2, f3, wsr, gp2, formula ford, formula Renault, formula BMW, karts, IndyCar, Indy lights and any other open series you can think of. The risk is the same and just as unacceptable in these series, so why are we only expecting f1 to change. It's either all or nothing, or we are saying its acceptable en-route to f1 but not when you get there. Fact is the risk of that type of incident/injury/death is very low, but we've reached the point where covering the cockpit is probably the best/only way of reducing the risk further.

Rollo
6th September 2012, 13:44

Progress? Why do we want progress for? I was told off for suggesting such a thing:

Why are you worried about those 24 millionaires in their state of the art carbon fibre chassis and modern, safe closed circuits? The spectators arriving in their normal cars (which will disintegrate in crashes above 60km/h) are taking a bigger risk than those drivers. Just to put things into perspective.

CNR
6th September 2012, 14:33
Ayrton Senna: Would he have survived a crash today? - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/ayrton-senna-would-he-have-survived-a-crash-today)
Ayrton Senna

Wheels
The front wheel on Senna's car is likely to have jumped up and hit him in the face, forcing his head back and causing fatal skull fractures. Since 1999 wheels have been attached to the chassis with tethers to stop them from flying off the cars during an impact.

Wheel bracket
The wheel brackets buckled and penetrated Senna's visor on impact causing an injury above his eye that would again have been enough to kill him. The two safety measures explained above indicate how the possibility of this happening again have been reduced. A comparison of the Massa crash in 2009, Michael Schumacher's head-on collision in 1999 which broke his leg, and Senna's fatal accident in 1994 highlights the achievements of 17 years progress in safety measures.

steveaki13
6th September 2012, 16:51
No but Henry Surtees was killed by a flying tyre, Dan wheldon was killed by impact with a fence post, massa was nearly killed by flying debris and there is a history of connections between heads and external objects in open cockpit racing. However, the talk of covering cockpits in f1 is completely pointless IMO if it is not also mandated in f2, f3, wsr, gp2, formula ford, formula Renault, formula BMW, karts, IndyCar, Indy lights and any other open series you can think of. The risk is the same and just as unacceptable in these series, so why are we only expecting f1 to change. It's either all or nothing, or we are saying its acceptable en-route to f1 but not when you get there. Fact is the risk of that type of incident/injury/death is very low, but we've reached the point where covering the cockpit is probably the best/only way of reducing the risk further.

This is correct.

This is an issue the FIA for the whole of Open cockpit racing cars to confront, not just F1. Possibly it is more dangerous in junior formula where the cars are not always as strong and supposedly the driving levels are slightly lower.

F1 should have better in all these things. So look at the lower levels first.

Its tough as I said because each time an accident like this occurs its easy to say well but its an open wheel and cockpit formula which I myself have said in thje past.

However that is OK until someone is killed, then I am sure things would change.