http://www.scsaracing.com

Regards

racing59
31st March 2007, 10:52
Still can't spell then Ray!!!!

Rob.

acorn
31st March 2007, 12:42
anyone got any background info on these "rookies"?

obviously we know about shane, rob and dan but who are the other three? is wayne ward the lightning rod driver?

cgs
31st March 2007, 13:30
its certainly hard to find info on James Brown thanks to his late namesake!

hicksy
31st March 2007, 14:14
I think I may have to have a drive up and watch. Does anyone have a timetable?

Jamie Brown
31st March 2007, 20:59
never heard of 3 of them

ascar dave
31st March 2007, 21:23
For info on Danny Boys check out http://www.danielboys.co.uk/

DannyBoysUK
1st April 2007, 12:01
For info on Danny Boys check out http://www.danielboys.co.uk/

Thanks for putting the link up, Dave. I can't wait to update it with Rookie test photos next week.
Dan

acorn
1st April 2007, 12:53
i've found a picture of an eric cowley booker in the bombers at brampton raceway in 1991. not exactly a common name so could be the same person.

Speedworx
1st April 2007, 16:50
I may pop up after work on Saturday.

Chigley
3rd April 2007, 00:52
If Danny Boys is a rookie, then I'm the tail gunner in a Spitfire. ;)

Filray
3rd April 2007, 02:33

LOL

Sticker Rub
3rd April 2007, 13:35
Chocks away! ;)

Tser
3rd April 2007, 13:51
A Spit doesn't have a tailgunner.

Abo
3rd April 2007, 14:01
A Spit doesn't have a tailgunner.

Whoosh! :D

dah
3rd April 2007, 14:35
just thought it might be worth a trip down since i am on holidays :D

JovialJooles
3rd April 2007, 14:58
Whoosh! :D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

cgs
3rd April 2007, 16:53
i would come down but i'll be working. spare a thought for poor old me

hicksy
3rd April 2007, 18:27
i would come down but i'll be working. spare a thought for poor old me

Come down on Saturday then.

DannyBoysUK
3rd April 2007, 18:39

Mate, trust me I'm as much a rookie as anyone else! And I'm probably as nervous as the other drivers as we take to the Rock for the first time!!

racing59
3rd April 2007, 23:54
No, I'm more scared than you!!!!!

Al_Green
4th April 2007, 00:17
All being well I'll be around on both days - anyone know who is organising things, I'd like to have a listen in if I can to get a bit of knowledge from the other side of the gantry

Thanks,
Al.

cgs
4th April 2007, 11:32
Come down on Saturday then.

i am working Saturday

hicksy
4th April 2007, 13:46
i am working Saturday

I though that just as I hit the submit button but I could not stop it. :)

cgs
4th April 2007, 13:47
engage brain before hitting submit then :p

hicksy
4th April 2007, 13:48
No, I'm more scared than you!!!!!

Nothing to worry about Rob, you just have to drive in a big circle. :) Just keep turning left.

inamo
4th April 2007, 14:10
Driving a circle round rockingham would be an interesting approach...... probably resulting in missing corners on the car and a very large repair bill. I'm sure you'll all be fine - they don't let you out in anything more dangerous than a mini until you've understood it anyway.

DannyBoysUK
4th April 2007, 14:20
Nothing to worry about Rob, you just have to drive in a big circle. :) Just keep turning left.

That's exactly what most of my friends and workmates say - 'all you do is turn left, don't you? That's easy!'

Reynard
4th April 2007, 17:46
I will be there on Saturday getting pics of the noobies and the cars for Short Circuit and the race day progs. Just don't crack me lenses, lads! ;)

And note to self - do not put catnip mice in the footwell and rosettes on the window nets...

racing59
5th April 2007, 07:48
That's exactly what most of my friends and workmates say - 'all you do is turn left, don't you? That's easy!'

Someone said that to me too, but when I added, "yes, but we have to AVERAGE 140mph" they went quiet..

It'll soon be tomorrow.... yippeeeeee

It's only taken 6 years to get to this point!!

Rob.

cgs
5th April 2007, 11:17
140mph? you'll never get on the podium at that speed!

Tser
5th April 2007, 12:10
140mph? you'll never get on the podium at that speed!

Really? If he'd averaged 140mph last year he would have been champion according to the results.

inamo
5th April 2007, 12:19
Need top speed 146-150mph.... average times on MST don't mean so much due to yellows etc

Tser
5th April 2007, 12:24
Need top speed 146-150mph.... average times on MST don't mean so much due to yellows etc

Yes but, no but, he said AVERAGE - which includes starts/restarts/yellows/lapping Skid.

melonhead
5th April 2007, 12:55
which includes starts/restarts/yellows/lapping Skid.

Now *that* made me chuckle!

mrsp
5th April 2007, 13:48
Is it definately open to the public? as I have two potential bums on seats but scsaracing say it's closed to the public, would hate them to have a wasted journey

Tser
5th April 2007, 14:01
Is it definately open to the public? as I have two potential bums on seats but scsaracing say it's closed to the public, would hate them to have a wasted journey

Even if they let you in, it will be the most intensely boring day for spectators.

mrsp
5th April 2007, 14:12
Even if they let you in, it will be the most intensely boring day for spectators.

That's ok they are only going to check it out, but I don't want to get moaned at on Tuesday when I'm back at work because they wouldn't let them in and they wasted a day out.

JDPower
5th April 2007, 18:02
Well theres an article in the local Evening Telegraph re Shane Lynch racing in SCSA and it states: "Racing and music fans are invited to watch the free event at the track starting at midday" (friday and saturday)

(OT: Theres also a photo on Page 8 taken by someone with a familiar name ;) )

jonv
5th April 2007, 22:51

But far more interesting than spending Fri /Sat shopping which is what most of the population will be doing.

SkidCarrera
5th April 2007, 23:11
Yes but, no but, he said AVERAGE - which includes starts/restarts/yellows/lapping Skid.

hehe...I'm kinda flattered guys...you know they say there's only one thing worse than being talked about...(not being talked about, of course...) and I'm genuinely pleased you're keeping my name up on the search engines.

Gotta point out, for the record though, that the only time I had a truly well sorted car to drive (last year), I actually scored more points and posted a faster lap in each race I entered than the guy who came second overall in the series.

"Lapping Duncan" might be a gentle jibe more sustainable by recent facts...

Luv ya all

Skid

Tser
5th April 2007, 23:14
hehe...I'm kinda flattered guys...you know they say there's only one thing worse than being talked about...(not being talked about, of course...) and I'm genuinely pleased you're keeping my name up on the search engines.

Gotta point out, for the record though, that the only time I had a truly well sorted car to drive (last year), I actually scored more points and posted a faster lap in each race I entered than the guy who came second overall in the series.

"Lapping Duncan" might be a gentle jibe more sustainable by recent facts...

Luv ya all

Skid

I did actually type "Dunc" and then changed my mind as it seemed a bit below the belt as I heard he is instructing this weekend.

cameronian
5th April 2007, 23:14
Are the public allowed in or not ?
Can someone please give an official answer as I don't want to make the journey for nought

JDPower
5th April 2007, 23:21
Are the public allowed in or not ?
Can someone please give an official answer as I don't want to make the journey for nought
Would be nice. Comments on here in past few weeks have been along the 'all welcome' line, news story in newspaper says public is welcome but official SCSA site says closed to public :confused:

Not a good start if people turn up after seeing todays news story only to be turned away at the gate. Hopefully the site is wrong :\

jonv
5th April 2007, 23:27

Welcome back to the Forum Skid. The joke thread hasn't been the same without you.
Any plans for the coming season ? (SCSA or otherwise)

Filray
5th April 2007, 23:29
The information on the SCSA web site is correct

Tser
5th April 2007, 23:34
The information on the SCSA web site is correct

"Sorry but both days are not open to the general public."

So, reading that accurately, it appears one day is open to the public but they're not going to tell you which one!

SkidCarrera
5th April 2007, 23:38
I did actually type "Dunc" and then changed my mind as it seemed a bit below the belt as I heard he is instructing this weekend.

hehe...I'm sure he'd take it on the chin...equally sure you're welcome to take a two seater-ride with either of us if the opportunity arises...nothing to worry about; you'll have at least 5mm of fibreglass between you and the concrete at all times...

SkidCarrera
5th April 2007, 23:41
Welcome back to the Forum Skid. The joke thread hasn't been the same without you.
Any plans for the coming season ? (SCSA or otherwise)

Thanks Jonboy! Had a busy 12 months grappling with a new business. Gonna have to do some racing in 07; might be a last minute entry in SCSA...no promises yet tho.

Thanks for asking.

turn 4 mad
5th April 2007, 23:59
the local press (northants evening telegraph) has a big piecs in today and it says racing fans are invited to watch the free event from 12pm.

JDPower
6th April 2007, 00:11
the local press (northants evening telegraph) has a big piecs in today and it says racing fans are invited to watch the free event from 12pm.
Yup (as I said earlier in the thread). Might be some disappointed Boyzone fans at the gate with it being a fairly prominent piece on Shane Lynch's involvement, especially as race and music fans were invited (and kids being off school).

cameronian
6th April 2007, 00:28
Thank-you for info.
Incidently, first time of refusal of entry in six years of supporting Ascar.

Larsen
6th April 2007, 00:31
Thats a shame...was planning to come down on Friday so i could hear some V8 noise!

racing59
6th April 2007, 07:14
Tell 'em you're my pit crew! :)

Hi Skid.

Another person who says that Proc's ol' car was good to drive!
Now the Reliant brakes have been sorted, I should be on track with it this afternoon.

According to the best laid plans, we should be on track with the Ascar's at around 3pm.

Come on you lot! Time to get up.!

Rob.

Redmond500
6th April 2007, 19:22
How did everything go today?.. Anyone..

JDPower
7th April 2007, 00:41
How did everything go today?.. Anyone..
And did anyone try turning up and actually get it?

mrsp
7th April 2007, 11:19
Thats a shame...was planning to come down on Friday so i could hear some V8 noise!

Same here, can't wait another 3 weeks for a fix, so as the weather is good 'we'll risk it for a swisskit' if they will not let us in we'll just find the nearest pub :facelick:

Filray
7th April 2007, 13:51
Rookie pictures on web site

http://www.scsaracing.com/rookies.shtml

Regards

cgs
7th April 2007, 14:12
Rob Compton reminds me of Dave Gorman

http://www.davegorman.com/googlewhack.htm

Cradge Bank
7th April 2007, 19:07
Not sure they all turned up today to finish de course to be sure, and one who did has done a "Seager."

SteveA
7th April 2007, 20:47
Gonna have to do some racing in 07; might be a last minute entry in SCSA...no promises yet tho.

Cool! Good luck if you do - lets hope you have fewer brushes with the wall, but if you do decide to kiss the concrete, at least do it in front of my lens!

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5569.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5570.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5571.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5572.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5573.jpg

SteveA
7th April 2007, 20:48
http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5575.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5577.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5579.jpg

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/sa2005pics/RockSep05/original/IMG_5582.jpg

Jordygirl
7th April 2007, 22:21
Spent today at the Rock - yes it was open to the public!!!! Fantastic to hear the sound of those V8s again, roll on the start of the season. The CWS cars look great and have raised the bar as far as paint jobs go. :burnout:

racing59
7th April 2007, 23:30
Nice to meet you, and all of the other forum regulars that were there today.

Are you commenting on my delightful textured paintjob.

Only Geoffrey Boycott had more runs....

Just have to get the jelly baby catching net fitted now.

T Minus oh my god how many weeks to get this thing ready...... aaaaaahhhhhhrrrrgggggg

Lots and lots of work to do now!

Thanks especially to all of those who helped to make today happen.

turn 4 mad
8th April 2007, 00:05
Nice to meet you, and all of the other forum regulars that were there today.

Are you commenting on my delightful textured paintjob.

Only Geoffrey Boycott had more runs....

Just have to get the jelly baby catching net fitted now.

T Minus oh my god how many weeks to get this thing ready...... aaaaaahhhhhhrrrrgggggg

Lots and lots of work to do now!

Thanks especially to all of those who helped to make today happen.

And only 1 car in the wall!

Chigley
8th April 2007, 00:10
The jelly babies are waiting. Have you got the right sized net?

The Marshals fund gets a fiver for every Jelly Baby that the net misses!

racing59
8th April 2007, 12:24
The jelly babies are waiting. Have you got the right sized net?

The Marshals fund gets a fiver for every Jelly Baby that the net misses!

That's very generous of you to make such a donation! ;) I'll put a hole in the net then!

racing59
8th April 2007, 12:26
And only 1 car in the wall!

Have you fixed it yet?

It was good to see James back out (in my car!) to lay the demons to rest. Just a shame we ran out of time, otherwise he would have made the cut without a doubt.

DannyBoysUK
8th April 2007, 13:37
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in making the last couple of days happen. It was so different to anything else I've done and I really didn't know what to expect. To say I'm gutted to be just short of the cut-off time is an understatement. With one more session I know I could've brought it down and I'm so frustrated with myself for not getting dialled in quicker and the fact that time was against all of us most of the weekend. Hopefully there will be another day to sit the test.

That said, I got so much from the weekend and learnt a great deal. I would like to say an American-sized thanks to:
Duane and Duncan for organising the day and showing so much support.
Craftsman Truck-master John for his invaluable instruction.
Mr. Rob 59 for loaning me his car and equipment.
And all the Revolution crew members for their work in getting me out too.

I learnt that it takes alot to tame the Rock and it's certainly no walk in the park (though I never thought it would be) and my respect for the guys that race at what is quite a unique track is even greater than what it was before.
Dan

english4ever
8th April 2007, 14:57
Have another go mate you'll master it!!

turn 4 mad
8th April 2007, 15:00

tractor for rookie testing next year?

english4ever
8th April 2007, 15:03
If i won the lottery then yes! i'm happy in pit lane until those numbers roll in.

champcarjim
8th April 2007, 16:29
So then who got the job done and who never?

DannyBoysUK
8th April 2007, 16:47
tractor for rookie testing next year?

Yep, that'll do the trick.

DannyBoysUK
8th April 2007, 16:51

Thanks, buddy. Just one more and it would've all gone OK, I just know it!

DannyBoysUK
8th April 2007, 16:56
So then who got the job done and who never?

Meguel and Rob did comfortably, Wayne just made it but made it nevertheless, James had an off earlier and fell a fraction short on his timed run, I didn't sit the actual test but I know the guys worked hard to try and get me out before the end of the day but we ran out of time. I was about 1.2-1.3 off the benchmark - so mad at myself. And I'm not sure about Eric.

DannyBoysUK
8th April 2007, 16:59
...and Shane didn't fancy oval racing after day 1.

JDPower
8th April 2007, 17:56
...and Shane didn't fancy oval racing after day 1.
Care to elaborate??? (is he in or not?)

DannyBoysUK
8th April 2007, 18:18

I'm not sure what the official word is but he wasn't present yesterday. Someone else might know for certain but he didn't drive a race car at all over the weekend. I saw him get out of the two seater after lapping with Duncan and it looked like he wasn't sure about it at all. That's all I know but someone else might know for certain.

Tser
8th April 2007, 18:40
Good pictures.

So it seems the de-stickered #66 must now have a new owner, the orange car must be the one that got bent, three or so possible new drivers qualified and the #99 Fire car needs a new driver which must be a bit of a problem (even if he changes his mind again he's not licenced)?

racing59
8th April 2007, 20:48

I get a feeling that it's a case of the two seater ride was a bit more "fierce" that he'd anticipated, but again, that's what I feel. I could be wrong.
This kind of racing isn't everyone's cup of tea.

My comments were "that b* thing needs a silencer fitting to it". And I think it's a combination of the intense rollercoaster ride that is the two seater being driven at 9-9.5/10ths. Imagine sitting 12inches from the wall, with 120dB of knackered silencer'd two seater in your right earhole. It was mega mega loud, and every time Dunc came off the turn, he was what felt like 6 inches from the wall, and the reflected sound didn't do my 'tuned ears' a lot of good - and Shane being a musician, I bet his are better than mine - and a few years younger too.

Some of us were pretty well shaken by it, Duncan was doing his best to give us the full effect of what a stock car can do at full chat, and not being in control yourself, it affects some more than others. Being in the instructor trade like Duncan, you have to keep a cool head when alonside "terror billies" (like Duncan!!!!), and I think that helped me not get phased by it.

Yes, I did have that feeling of "We're gonna die" once or twice, but then it was "how do I shut the window and keep that noise out!".

What's a shame is that Shane didn't get to experience the totally different feeling from the pilot's "office", and I mean totally different, and totally enjoyable in the extreme.

The SCSA car was easier to drive around the oval at 38-39seconds than the Mini was at 100mph.

My gut feeling is that he would have been back for day 2 had we not suffered the delays on Friday afternoon which meant that I was the only one to get out on track, even if it was in my own car.

Dan - you'll do it, and I'm sure that James will do the same. When you come back, I'm sure you'll be totally focused on the job. As for using my car & gear, I'm glad to have been able to help.

Shane - if you read this. Come back, get back in a SCSA car and have a go, trust me, you WILL enjoy it, and I know you'll pass.

Rob.

racing59
8th April 2007, 21:07
One person I haven't thanked publically for this is my wife, Suzanne, for (a) allowing me to harbour aspirations of doing it, and (b) for encouraging me to buy the car (which she probably regrets now as it mean's she'll have to wait until later this year before she get's the horse that she wants (donations in that area would be appreciated as it's probably going to cost as much as running the car for the season!!!))

Chigley
8th April 2007, 21:18
donations in that area would be appreciated

You're in a jam now. ;) Best make sure the mesh on that net is small enough as it'll cost you a fiver towards the Marshals Fund AND a fiver towards Suzanne's horse for every jelly baby you don't catch in the net. To make it fairer can we recruit Suzanne to be in the Jelly Baby tossing team. :)

WAK-WAK
8th April 2007, 21:34
Hi all.The Rookies that were traning this week end was all of good standard. For the ones that passed well done, for the ones that did not then you are very close and you need to go again. You all are in a area were many will never be, so we are hopefully trying to arrange a test on thursday before the first weekend of racing. We will be in touch on sorting this out.
James you must do it againg, you have got it and you will pass.
Dan, again you have got it and now when you go again you will be there.You both will pass. and with being just three of you you will have abit more time and be more rekaxed and do it.
Eric again you have been out and you will get it, you just need to listen and settle down, but in al you are in that groupe where some will never be , so look ahead and you will get your chance soon. We will be in touch you three and get you in and passed off.

All you guys that passed we hope you join us in this series and we are all here to help.

turn 4 mad
8th April 2007, 21:43
Good pictures.

So it seems the de-stickered #66 must now have a new owner, the orange car must be the one that got bent, three or so possible new drivers qualified and the #99 Fire car needs a new driver which must be a bit of a problem (even if he changes his mind again he's not licenced)?

the destickered #66 car now belongs to duncan, the orange 59/95 car is now abit out of shape-nothing a little fibre glass wont mend, and shane lynch-shane lynch who's he?

champcarjim
8th April 2007, 21:53
well done to lthose that have passed the test and unlucky to those that havent better luck next time!

just_smile99
8th April 2007, 22:19
so is there another rookie test being set up before the season starts for those who didnt pass??

X

Duane
9th April 2007, 00:09
for a quick reply, Shane will not be driving with us now this year, a statement will be issued in due course but it is mutual and we have parted amicably a new driver will be announced shortly.

As for the other 6 Rookies, First up for the final solo run was Rob Compton who you all know about, he passed with flying colours, and then he loaned his car for the others to use after last years orange 59 spun twice into the wall, so he must of been nervous to say the least, thank you Rob and good luck this season.

Next up was Miguel Gomes, he flew in from Portugal to follow his dreams and was blinding, he passed and was very impressive, anyone who is willing to add to his current race funding will surley get an exciting ride.

Ex rally driver Wayne Ward was next to pass and was over the moon to get through the test, his mate James Brown was not quite so fortunate after having the crash in turn 1 wall earlier in the day, he struggled to make the pace after being easily within times before his wreck, hopefully he will pass before the season starts and they could possibly form a new two car team. fingers crossed.

Dan Boys and Eric cowley booker just need some more tuition

Finally thanks go out to John Mickel, Drew Furlong(BRSCC) and Sonny Howard who did a great job overseeing the tests and were spot on with their decissions along with Lee O'Keefe who paced the rookies all day.

Hope that helps, a more detailed account on the rookies that passed will be placed on the SCSA web site ASAP

Duane

racing59
9th April 2007, 00:24
Duane.

Thanks mate!!

Without YOU, I wouldn't be in that position.

Rob.

turn 4 mad
9th April 2007, 00:37
not to mention all the sweat and blood behind the scenes (til 9 oclock last night)

71minus2
9th April 2007, 00:45
Shane will not be driving with us now this year

Obviously sitting on a stool with his 4 mates won that battle over SCSA. It is a shame as Shane would have got media attention with the impending Boyzone reunion.

I'm off to burn my girlfriends Boyzone CD's in protest!!

Nah, just kidding

Richard.

bravheart
9th April 2007, 03:12
I would just like to say, "it was a pleasure working with the new rookie drivers over the 2 days of Training at Rockingham" The standard of these drivers was very impresive!

Well done to Rob, Miguel and Wayne for passing! James and Dan you were so very close im sure you will sale through it next time without a problem!! and Eric with a little more tuition will be right with them.

You were all a Great bunch of guys and alot of fun to work with!

Duncan

Filray
9th April 2007, 12:13
http://www.scsaracing.com/rookies.shtml

Regards

Miguel Gomes
14th April 2007, 16:23
I just want to thank everyone for such a warm welcome and for all the support. I traveled alone from Portugal but never felt alone there. Thanks Rob for letting us use your car and your hat! Thanks Lee, Duncan and Mickel for all the help, thanks Duane for the great opportunity and thanks everyone for making me fell home.

Look forward to meet you all again soon! :)

cgs
14th April 2007, 16:34
welcome to the forums Miguel. hope to see you on track soon :D

JDPower
14th April 2007, 16:46
Yup, welcome Miguel. I'm certain you'll get a warm welcome from us fans when it comes to race day too :up:

Jordygirl
14th April 2007, 17:54
:wave: Welcome on board Miguel. Hope to see you out on the track for real, in the very near future. As a member of the Rockingham marshalling team I would like to say " Be safe " ;)

melonhead
14th April 2007, 18:02
Welcome to the forum Miguel,

your performances last weekend certainly made an impression!

And all you fellow V8Thunderers out there, let me point out that Miguel is a veteran of N2003 as well, racing online over at NTRL.

Hope to see you out on the real track soon Miguel!

Chigley
14th April 2007, 21:50
Welcome Miguel, look forward to watching your progress and hopefully showing you the checkered flag in the near future.

PS. Jordygirl reckons "Miguel could be a possible babe magnet !!!!!!!!!! "

Ian

Miguel Gomes
15th April 2007, 00:28
Thanks all, you seem to have here a great community here too!

Welcome to the forum Miguel,

your performances last weekend certainly made an impression!

And all you fellow V8Thunderers out there, let me point out that Miguel is a veteran of N2003 as well, racing online over at NTRL.

Hope to see you out on the real track soon Miguel!

Yes I run n2003 since it came out and its really amazing how the physics are so close to the real thing, believe me the experience with n2003 really helped me a lot in the rookie tests. For the ones who also run with n2003 fell free to join us at NTRL - www.ntrl.us (http://www.ntrl.us) - I race there on Monday nights in the Winston Series.

Hope to cya all soon at Rockingham! :)

racing59
15th April 2007, 00:40
And you can get your own hat!!!!

Miguel, I look forward to racing with you this year!

Rob.

JDPower
15th April 2007, 03:36
Yes I run n2003 since it came out and its really amazing how the physics are so close to the real thing, believe me the experience with n2003 really helped me a lot in the rookie tests. For the ones who also run with n2003 fell free to join us at NTRL - www.ntrl.us (http://www.ntrl.us) - I race there on Monday nights in the Winston Series.
Theres a few of us race at V8 Thunder (http://www.v8thunderonline.com/), including ex SCSA racer Thierry Haenel. Feel free to join us any time too ;)

Speedworx
15th April 2007, 12:26
NTRL on a monday is fun. The Cup88 mod is cool.

Reynard
15th April 2007, 12:47
PS. Jordygirl reckons "Miguel could be a possible babe magnet !!!!!!!!!! "

This photographer agrees with Jordygirl! ;)

Welcome to the board Miguel, am looking forward to seeing you out on track ad Rockingham.

tdb
15th April 2007, 18:29
the destickered #66 car now belongs to duncan, the orange 59/95 car is now abit out of shape-nothing a little fibre glass wont mend, and shane lynch-shane lynch who's he?

The "destickered #66 car" is not the #66 car, john mickels ford taurus is the #66 car.

the car duncan now owns was Anthony swans photostop car and was on display in Torquespeeds awning in 05 with 2001 and 2004 champions livery. and is a monte carlo body.

cgs
15th April 2007, 18:47
didn't it have the #1 on the side of it aswell?

melonhead
16th April 2007, 01:45
didn't it have the #1 on the side of it aswell?

Only on the right hand side of the car!

Miguel Gomes
17th April 2007, 19:49
And you can get your own hat!!!!

Miguel, I look forward to racing with you this year!

Rob.

Look forward too race with you too Rob!

Theres a few of us race at V8 Thunder, including ex SCSA racer Thierry Haenel. Feel free to join us any time too
Yeah I did a few races in V8 Thunder too but the schedule was just not good to me, had to rush from work to make it and arrived when qualify was about to start. And also know Thierry Haenel from NTRL. He was the one who really encouraged me to do the tests :)

This photographer agrees with Jordygirl!

Welcome to the board Miguel, am looking forward to seeing you out on track ad Rockingham.

I’m not Shane Lynch, he’s the babe magnet not me :p : Thanks look forward to be there too.

just_smile99
17th April 2007, 19:59
I’m not Shane Lynch, he’s the babe magnet not me :p : Thanks look forward to be there too.

Your a young guy, im sure there are going to be plenty of young girls out there who are going to have a crush on you!!!

Laura

X

cgs
17th April 2007, 20:30
Yeah I did a few races in V8 Thunder too but the schedule was just not good to me, had to rush from work to make it and arrived when qualify was about to start. And also know Thierry Haenel from NTRL. He was the one who really encouraged me to do the tests :)

a quick search through the good old V8Thunder archieves shows the following:

MIGUEL GOMES - RACE RESULTS
Summer 2006
Trucks

Race Track Q R Laps Led Status

1 Michigan BR 13 6 70/70 0 Running
3 Rockingham UK 23 11 85/85 0 Running

Filray
18th April 2007, 01:58
[quote I’m not Shane Lynch, he’s the babe magnet not me :p : [/QUOTE]

That's not what my wife said Miguel! :p :

Nick Brad
18th April 2007, 08:26
If anyone has some cash lying around, give it to Miguel asap.

He's blisteringly quick, (fastest of all the rookies) and to say I couldn't believe he's only raced karts previous to the rookie test is an understatement, he seemed so natural in the car straight away.

Congratulations Miguel, I hope to see you racing in SCSA as soon as possible, if funds ever allow I'm sure Rob would be delighted to have you as a team mate, as would I.

Nick, (Rob's spotter).

Tser
18th April 2007, 09:06
Is it really true the MSA will let you go straight from racing karts to having a licence to race in SCSA?

Nick Brad
18th April 2007, 09:14
If you've competed at a high enough level, yes. I knew a 14 year old, (must now be 17 or 18,) who had done karts for so long he was licenced for pretty much everything apart from F1.

Top level karting is very serious, (and expensive,) that's why the new drivers coming through in single seater racing are getting younger and younger.

Tser
18th April 2007, 09:23
If you've competed at a high enough level, yes. I knew a 14 year old, (must now be 17 or 18,) who had done karts for so long he was licenced for pretty much everything apart from F1.

Top level karting is very serious, (and expensive,) that's why the new drivers coming through in single seater racing are getting younger and younger.

Has he done "top level karting" then?

I'm just a mite surprised you can do some karting and then "race" on your PC and then get a licence to race wheel-to-wheel at 170mph. Sounds like asking for trouble maybe...

Abo
18th April 2007, 09:57
Has he done "top level karting" then?

I'm just a mite surprised you can do some karting and then "race" on your PC and then get a licence to race wheel-to-wheel at 170mph. Sounds like asking for trouble maybe...

I'm sure that if Sonny, John etc. etc. felt his maturity and/or standard of driving were below par they wouldn't have passed him at rookie training.

Nick Brad
18th April 2007, 10:25
I have to be honest and say that I don't know what level of karting he has done, but as Neil says, if he wasn't up to scratch, then he wouldn't be given a licence. All of the spotters have been awarded a provisional licence, (fairly IMO,) which shows that the rookie tests are taken very seriously and no one is allowed to enter into a situation they're not prepared for.

Miguel Gomes
18th April 2007, 16:27
Yes in Portugal I competed in kart racing for some years (the 100cc 2 stroke engines) and that was the only thing taken in consideration for letting me enter the rookie tests (the "sim" experience doesn't count, the only thing taken in consideration is real racing experience of course).

Any kind of real racing experience is different from racing an ascar in rookingham, whether its karting, racing in GT's, racing short ovals or doing rally (to mention the diferent kinds of real racing experience the drivers present had) that's why the rookie tests are mandatory and so much important to enter this series and after you get in your racing experience won't help must if you don't pass the necessary tests. And you must do good enough in each of the tests before they will let you advance to the next one.

You can ask all of the drivers that were there in the rookie tests and they will tell you how diferent this experience is from the real racing experience they had done before. The first thing the coaches say is "forget everything you did before" because you really have to drive diferent in this cars. Being smoth is the key.

I personally think that the "sim" experience helped me to develop the necessary smoth driving needed for racing in an ascar but like i told before that was never taken in consideration, the only thing that counts is real racing experience and the way you perform in the several tests during the rookie test days.

I also personally think that "sim" experience should be taken more seriously and maybe before going to the real cars drivers should prove themselfs in a simulator (like they do in aviation) because technology is so much advanced today and you can learn a lot in simulators. Once again let me make this clear this are just personal thoughts because the only thing taken in consireration in real racing experience.

Sticker Rub
18th April 2007, 20:15
I hope you can get the sponsorship together Miguel. It would be great to see you on the grid.

Tser
24th April 2007, 22:32
a test on thursday before the first weekend of racing.

Is this still on or has it been cancelled?

racing59
25th April 2007, 07:23
Don't know about the rookie test, but before Miguel can race at Rockingham he has to hold a MSA, or the Portuguese equivalent of a National A licence, as that is the requirement for all drivers. I understand that there are some dispensations, but bottom line is he has to have a MSA licence first.

In terms of equivalents - A Kart International has been declared as equivavlent to a Race National A in the past if I recall correctly. The driver still has to do ARDS in a car, to get it though. Don't quote me on this, it's something from the archives in my mind (which is pretty warped at times!)
A dig in the MSA Blue Book will tell me....

I also seem to remember that when this all started (Rockingham) there was a separate licence category for running on it, like the Truck Racing licence.
I'll have to dig back through my old copies of the MSA Blue Book.

Cradge Bank
25th April 2007, 08:50
or the Portuguese equivalent of a National A licence, as that is the requirement for all drivers.

The BRSCC seem to have downgraded all their club events to non-NEAFP this year, which might cause a problem for anyone trying to drive on a non-MSA licence.

Tser
25th April 2007, 13:02
Answered my own question. Seems to have been cancelled.

Cradge Bank
25th April 2007, 21:19
Checked the regs:

MSA Championship Permit No: CHR2007/027

MSA Championship Grade: C

Drivers and Entrant Drivers must be fully paid up valid membership card holding members of the BRSCC, be registered for the Championship and be in possession of a valid MSA Competition (Racing) National (A) and have undertaken an approved “oval racing” training course achieving a level of approved certification to compete in the SCSA Championship.

So no foreign licences, presumably as the Championship now has only a club racing grade.

Also if you haven't done your ARDS, you must do this to get a National B and then get the minimum number of signatures to upgrade to National A, with no exceptions. So anybody doing their Rookie test without having done ARDS cannot race for a good while yet!

Also noticed the BRSCC have put stuff back in forbidding teams to do their own paddock hospitality.

A few other changes too.

Nick Brad
26th April 2007, 12:02
Another update on this is that over on the V8 Thunder forum, someone has spoken to Miguel via msn and apparently, subject to sponsor money arriving in time, one Miguel Gomes could be racing this weekend, presumably on a race hire deal which would suggest he meets all the MSA criteria for competing.

Tser
26th April 2007, 12:15
Another update on this is that over on the V8 Thunder forum, someone has spoken to Miguel via msn and apparently, subject to sponsor money arriving in time, one Miguel Gomes could be racing this weekend, presumably on a race hire deal which would suggest he meets all the MSA criteria for competing.

Great must have done his ARDS and completed six races then or whatevr the current requirement is!

racing59
27th April 2007, 07:13
Nick,

Don't forget your spotters licence tomorrow!!

See you all there. And hopefully Miguel too!!!!

Rob.

Nick Brad
27th April 2007, 12:51
I'll have my spotter's licence with me, don't worry. :p

Abo
27th April 2007, 15:36
Hmm, I guess I'd better look for mine...