PDA

View Full Version : Serious Political Satire

race aficionado
15th August 2012, 18:14
After reading one of Donk's posts where he mentioned that he was catching up with "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (http://www.thedailyshow.com/)" and "colbert report (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X&ei=aNgrUJSSLomz0QG99YH4CQ&ved=0CEoQvwUoAQ&q=colbert+report&spell=1)" - it made me aware that it is so cool how this internet thinimajig gives us all the chance to see what others are up to.

I make sure to watch both shows and I am so thankful that they exist. They are funny and smart and play a big part in our national political discourse.

I'm sure many FOX viewers would disagree in its humor and political angle and that is of course perfectly okay - to each his own.

Do you have similar programs in your countries where smart comedians are on top of important issues and are part of the pulse of the nation's outlook?

:s mokin:

Captain VXR
15th August 2012, 18:44
I guess Have I Got News For You and 10 O'Clock Live here provide that, pretty good programs
Is Real Time with Bill Maher any good, there's some decent clips on Youtube

janvanvurpa
15th August 2012, 19:19
I guess Have I Got News For You and 10 O'Clock Live here provide that, pretty good programs

Well Cap'n, where is whereever you is?

Malbec
15th August 2012, 21:57
thedailymash.co.uk

Tazio
15th August 2012, 22:08

I think "Real Time" is boring and can't sit through it, but then again this lefty got tired of "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" (both t's are silent :rolleyes :) quite some time back. It has just gotten old to me. If you're new to it, I think you will find it very entertaining. I still watch every once in a while.

Captain VXR
15th August 2012, 22:27
UK.

Captain VXR
15th August 2012, 22:28
Well Cap'n, where is whereever you is?

UK.

donKey jote
16th August 2012, 00:14
Spain has "El intermedio" with the great Wyoming :D

As for the Daily Colbert, I normally watch them at speed 1.5 on my daily commute. Watching them on the internet is sloooooowwww... do y'all really speak like that? :crazy: :p

donKey jote
16th August 2012, 00:16

yep, watch those too :D :bandit: :andrea:
plus Mock the week :p

Rollo
16th August 2012, 01:35
Australia had for a short while a program called "Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuk8SwCnHzU&feature=relmfu)".
Now given that it was a Micallef program, it also frequently traveled in to the realms of the downright strange at times, but I suppose that was to be expected.

Sometimes you really do wonder though, what exactly this show was trying to be.

Mark
16th August 2012, 09:40
I think we have precious little satire in the UK, I'm sure there used to be more? We've pretty much only got Have I Got News for You, and Mock the Week.

Believe that poking fun at politicians is vital for a democratic society.

gadjo_dilo
16th August 2012, 10:42
Officially: Banciu's world, In the mouth of the press, The grumpies chronicle.
Unofficially, all our talk shows have a dose of involuntary humour.

janvanvurpa
16th August 2012, 19:47
I think we have precious little satire in the UK, I'm sure there used to be more? We've pretty much only got Have I Got News for You, and Mock the Week.

Believe that poking fun at politicians is vital for a democratic society.

Some might suggest that poking fun at everything is vital for a sane society (says the guy living where parody, sarcasm and irony are "proof" of being un-American---if they ever figure it out)

BDunnell
16th August 2012, 20:56

On the TV, pretty much — and even then Have I Got News for You is often far, far safer than it used to be, while I can't bear Mock The Week. As far as other media are concerned, I was delighted to read today that Private Eye sales are up nearly 10 per cent year on year.

Rollo
16th August 2012, 21:28
Do The News Quiz and The Now Show on BBC Radio 4 count as political satire?

BDunnell
16th August 2012, 23:07
Do The News Quiz and The Now Show on BBC Radio 4 count as political satire?

They count as topical comedy, in my book, if not strictly satire.