PDA

View Full Version : Kubica never to return to F1 (rumour)

driveace
13th August 2012, 22:09
It has been announced that Robert Kubica will never return to F1again,so is officially retired.It's a pity really,but why did he need to do a rally at all is beyond me .And now his career in F1 I finished

truefan72
13th August 2012, 23:31
very sad news
what a talent. I would say what a waste, but that would be slightly unfair

At least he can say he won a race and drove very well in his years in F1.
More than many others can say

tfp
13th August 2012, 23:35
Terrible shame :( But we all knew it wasnt going to happen when he is out for a whole year.

I know Button likes his cycling, Vettel likes skiing in his spare time. With Kubica, he competed in IRC. it just seemed he couldnt take time out, racing and competing was something he just had to do, and for that I admire him. Its just a great shame we wont see him in F1 anymore.

Alfa Fan
14th August 2012, 03:36
Whilst I think this is the likely outcome, do you have a source? A quick internet search turned up nothing.

CNR
14th August 2012, 04:56
Robert Kubica`s comeback to F1, his condition etc. (http://robertscomeback.blogspot.com.au/)

About week ago on BBC sport appeared an article in which journalist wrote: "Kubica can drive a road car and a rally car without problem but the nerves in his right arm, which was partially severed are still not healed sufficiently to allow him to move his fingers quickly or accurately enough to operate the controls on an F1 car."

i_max2k2
14th August 2012, 05:12
Exactly, I don't see this "announced" anywhere either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

TyPat107
14th August 2012, 05:58
That is too bad, but if that's the case I hope we see him continue on in rally.

aykutbilir
14th August 2012, 12:07
I cannot see anything official yet. Hope he will back to circuits.

skory
14th August 2012, 12:22
There is nothing official but you can follow polish blog where are all rumors about Robert Kubica come back. In one of latest entries there is doctor Rossello opinion that fingers are ok but problem is with his elbow.
See the translation: T (http://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpowrotroberta.blogspot.com%2F2012%2 F08%2Fnowe-zdjecia-roberta-kubicy-i-nie-tylko.html&act=url)
There is a hope but we have to wait.

pino
14th August 2012, 12:26
Thread title edited as I can't see this news in any Motorsport web-site and it could be a fake news ;)

MatthewF1
14th August 2012, 14:13
This is a shame. He was rumoured to head to possibly head to Ferrari for 2014. I think they'd have taken the constructors with a line up like that.

D-Type
14th August 2012, 18:54
I hope this rumour is not true. Sadly, I fear that it could be the case.

Garry Walker
14th August 2012, 19:15
Would be sad, but only expected. I think there is very little chance he will ever be back in F1.

Mirek
14th August 2012, 20:47
but why did he need to do a rally at all is beyond me

Because rally has been his passion.

mousti
14th August 2012, 21:17
He could maybe do a decent rally program then, he wouldn't be the 10453678th tourist..

driveace
14th August 2012, 21:27
Thread title edited as I can't see this news in any Motorsport web-site and it could be a fake news ;)
It was on a thread by Jenson Button and McLaren on my FB

keysersoze
15th August 2012, 03:04
I would like to see if a team (Lotus) could, using last year's car, make the necessary accomodations so that he could at least test an F1 car again at a proper track. Perhaps do away with the (fine) finger controls and, if he has an issue with his elbow, modify the cockpit so that he can manage to drive as comfortably as possible.

Koz
15th August 2012, 03:22
I would like to see if a team (Lotus) could, using last year's car, make the necessary accomodations so that he could at least test an F1 car again at a proper track. Perhaps do away with the (fine) finger controls and, if he has an issue with his elbow, modify the cockpit so that he can manage to drive as comfortably as possible.

Why would anyone do this?

kfzmeister
15th August 2012, 04:18

Might as well just let him drive a NASCAR. Jus sayn....

CNR
15th August 2012, 07:08
V8 supercars

Results for Sucrogen Townsville 400 2012 - v8supercars.com.au (http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/results/tabid/84/eventid/250/seasonid/12/default.aspx)

DNF
Pepsi Max Crew
Jaques Villeneuve

Pepsi Max Crew
Jaques Villeneuve

Pepsi Max Crew
Jaques Villeneuve

Pepsi Max Crew
Jaques Villeneuve

keysersoze
15th August 2012, 11:28
Why would anyone do this?

1. Excellent PR move
2. Outstanding human interest story.

It was a media sensation when Alex Zanardi was permitted to finish the final 12 laps of the race in which had earlier lost his legs. It was the exact same car he drove that fateful day, albeit significantly modified so that he didn't have to use his feet / legs.

Paralympian Oscar Pistorius was also the darling of the media, and an inspiration to millions, for his achievements in the face of an overwhelming obstacle.

keysersoze
15th August 2012, 11:31
Might as well just let him drive a NASCAR. Jus sayn....

Not even close. :rolleyes:

If an open wheel car could be adapted to accomodate a legless driver (Alex Zanardi), I imagine it could be adapted to accomodate Robert's limitations.

Jus sayn . . .

keysersoze
15th August 2012, 12:56
Arm movement is a lot more important in this type of situation though. Accelerators and brakes can be controlled easier with your hands than steering a car with your legs.

Did someone suggest that he steer with his legs? Wow, what a dope he is! :p

AndyL
15th August 2012, 18:10
With all those buttons on the steering wheel, it is certainly true that driving a modern F1 car is somewhat akin to playing a piano (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19179499).

Captain VXR
15th August 2012, 18:56
I hope the rumours aren't true as he is a damn good driver. If they are, hopefully he'll have a successful career in other motorsport.

pino
15th August 2012, 19:21
No doubt that this is just a rumor or even a fake news but as we are in off-season...I will leave this open ;)

kfzmeister
16th August 2012, 04:14
"Believe all rumors"!
Imo, this'll be the official news sooner or later.

Bartek
16th August 2012, 10:04
Do not believe Polish blogs :) I don't know nothing officially but about his return is unlikely. I spoke with few people and from what they know and from what i know rallying is possible for RK.

CNR
21st August 2012, 07:54
F1 return for Kubica uncertain - Alonso (http://www.worldcarfans.com/112082147418/f1-return-for-kubica-uncertain---alonso)

Fernando Alonso has admitted he is unsure if his friend Robert Kubica will ever return to formula one.

AndyL
21st August 2012, 10:55
F1 return for Kubica uncertain - Alonso (http://www.worldcarfans.com/112082147418/f1-return-for-kubica-uncertain---alonso)

Well yes, everyone is unsure if Kubica will return to F1. Some of these web sites seem to struggle for content during the summer break :)

MrJan
21st August 2012, 22:15
A talent cut short far too early over a silly unnecessary accident.

Why was it unnecessary? I personally think it's great that there are drivers who do it for the love of the sport, put driving above everything, above the money, the race wins, the girls...people that are so taken over by the sport that they will do all sorts of events just to get that rush.

BDunnell
22nd August 2012, 00:00
Why was it unnecessary? I personally think it's great that there are drivers who do it for the love of the sport, put driving above everything, above the money, the race wins, the girls...people that are so taken over by the sport that they will do all sorts of events just to get that rush.

Exactly. The opposing view is a modern one born solely of an excessive respect for the notion that the driver is a commodity rather than a sportsman.

The Black Knight
22nd August 2012, 15:26
In that case let's not dwell on it too much and applaud Robert for ending his F1 career doing something he loved doing. I was only looking at it from an F1 perspective initially and the sadness from fans that he is unlikely to ever be on the grid again.

Yep, he was one of my favorite drivers. I think pretty much every F1 fan respected him at least and you can't fault him for what happened. He was only doing what he loved.

Hopefully he will return but the outlook is bleak at this stage.

airshifter
23rd August 2012, 12:24
Since the day of the accident I've remained hopeful that Robert would return to F1. I will continue to do so. I know at this point it is very unlikely, but I feel he is a great talent and would be a welcome addition if he returns to the grid.

If he doesn't, I hope that he does recover to a point that he at least gets to enjoy rally once again, or any other form of motorsport he is interested in. For someone that worked so hard to get into professional motorsport, he deserves to enjoy it once again.

Malbec
23rd August 2012, 18:08
From the extent of his injuries I think its lucky that he's able to look forward to living an independent life let alone get back into racing of any sort. If he gets back to rallying thats great but he won't be returning to F1.

skory
27th August 2012, 08:04
[Rumour] Kubica tested with Ford WRC team Robert Kubica`s comeback to F1, his condition etc.: Kubica tested Ford in France with Latvalla and Solberg (http://robertscomeback.blogspot.com/2012/08/kubica-tested-ford-in-france-with.html)
It would be nice if it was him

N4D13
27th August 2012, 14:09
Joe Saward has run the same story (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/kubica-tries-a-ford-wrc-car/), so it appears to be true. ;)

CNR
4th September 2012, 22:50
Kubica stopped Lotus talks 'months ago' - Boullier (http://www.worldcarfans.com/112090447860/kubica-stopped-lotus-talks-months-ago---boullier)

Lotus boss Eric Boullier has revealed there is little chance Robert Kubica will return to F1 with the Enstone based team.

Boullier insisted: "I cannot make any assumptions about anything because I am not in contact with him anymore."

Zico
4th September 2012, 23:04
[Rumour] Kubica tested with Ford WRC team Robert Kubica`s comeback to F1, his condition etc.: Kubica tested Ford in France with Latvalla and Solberg (http://robertscomeback.blogspot.com/2012/08/kubica-tested-ford-in-france-with.html)
It would be nice if it was him

That is great news, I think a Ford WRC seat initially limited to Tarmac events would be a PR master stroke... and I know Robert would love that!

skory
7th September 2012, 09:42
There are many rumors that we will see Robert this month in some rally. One of them is Ronde del Gomitolo di Lana (website (http://www.psarally.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=175)) which will start tommorow! Original news: Kubica back behind the wheel (http://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frace.autorace.it%2F2012%2F09%2F06%2 Fkubica-torna-al-volante%2F&act=url)
Also Kubica's codriver Jakub Gerber when asked about rumors replied that he won't say anything until Monday.
Something big is coming ;)

Bartek
7th September 2012, 10:17
This weekend rally is in 99% confirmed :)

pino
7th September 2012, 10:40
Happy to see him back in action :up:

driveace
7th September 2012, 16:08
But as i said at start of thread NOT in a F1 car ! Malcolm will give him a chance in a Ford Fiesta Rally car,but I believe this is just a small event .

i_max2k2
8th September 2012, 17:42
Not a very reliable source, but I smiled when I read this, hopefully he can fully recover to be in F1 -

Kubica eyes 2014 for F1 return | News | Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/all/news/kubica-eyes-2014-for-f1-return/)

CNR
10th September 2012, 14:43
Robert Kubica wins on rally return in Italy | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/88563.html)

Robert Kubica (http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/motorsport/driver/1242.html) won the Ronde Gomitolo di Lana Rally at the weekend in his first competitive race since his life-threatening accident last year.
Kubica was participating in the rally driving a Subaru Impreza WRC car, with his participation uncertain until Thursday as the car was readied.

The extent of Kubica's injuries were revealed further on the podium after the rally, with the use of his right arm severely limited during the celebrations. Kubica also wore a bandage over the lower part of his right arm in order to hide the worst of his scars from the accident in February 2011.

pino
10th September 2012, 16:14
Just watched a short video of him taking an hairpin in cool and fast way so it looks like he's recovering faster than expected :up: He might stick with rallying and never comeback in F1 though ;)

cali
10th September 2012, 20:09
Found this ... Robert's hand doesn't look normal but hopefully he will recover .... and to stick in rallying ;)
Robert Kubica-Ronde Gomitolo Di Lana !!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2TW84k2KPHE)

steveaki13
10th September 2012, 21:11
Good News for Robert.

Hope it continues to go well

Koz
17th September 2012, 04:26
And apparently he had another crash in a rally... No injuries apparently...
Am I the only one who thinks this is quite stupid of him before he has fully recovered?

Robinho
17th September 2012, 04:35
Not is he's recovered sufficiently to withstand a normal crash, which apparently he was, unless it was caused by his injuries (which I doubt)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MrJan
17th September 2012, 12:05
And apparently he had another crash in a rally... No injuries apparently...
Am I the only one who thinks this is quite stupid of him before he has fully recovered?

Hopefully you are. I understand completely his desire to get back behind the wheel, and he's certainly not alone in motorsport. The majority of motorcycle racers seem to have ridden in races with various broken bones, Colin McRae entered a rally with broken fingers/all bashed up facially...it's just a fact of motorsport, and an important one IMO.

Malbec
18th September 2012, 07:53
Hopefully you are. I understand completely his desire to get back behind the wheel, and he's certainly not alone in motorsport. The majority of motorcycle racers seem to have ridden in races with various broken bones, Colin McRae entered a rally with broken fingers/all bashed up facially...it's just a fact of motorsport, and an important one IMO.

The level of injury Kubica is still carrying is not on the same level as a broken finger, metatarsal or even malleolus that the bikers routinely race with.

Kubica already has a permanent loss of function to his entire right arm, he can't flex his elbow and he has limited movement of his fingers, his muscles on that side are completely wasted away and his joints and nerves are permanently damaged. Another big injury to that side and he faces not being able to use that arm at all.

While part of me cheers the fact that he's back behind the wheel of a car a large part of me does wonder why he's so willing to risk his recovery for what is still a hobby for him (rallying).

AndyL
18th September 2012, 10:51
The level of injury Kubica is still carrying is not on the same level as a broken finger, metatarsal or even malleolus that the bikers routinely race with.

Ian Hutchinson's leg injury is not so different to Kubica's arm. It was touch and go whether they would have to amputate the leg, and it took more than a year before he could race again (though after 9 months he did a parade lap round the TT course on a superbike, wearing leathers cut away to accommodate the external fixator that was still around his leg!). Then he re-broke it riding a dirt bike, endured further operations, but this year was back racing again.

Admittedly, a leg is not an arm. But we're not talking about a broken finger either either.

Thinking further back, Mick Doohan suffered an equally bad leg injury that would have led to amputation in normal circumstances - they had to temporarily graft it to his good leg to keep it alive - and returned within 2 months to try (unsuccessfully) to defend his championship lead, with the leg still visibly withered. And of course Barry Sheene had two horror crashes, about one of which he said "if I'd been a horse, they'd have shot me," and returned to racing in weeks or months both times.

Malbec
18th September 2012, 19:36
Ian Hutchinson's leg injury is not so different to Kubica's arm. It was touch and go whether they would have to amputate the leg, and it took more than a year before he could race again (though after 9 months he did a parade lap round the TT course on a superbike, wearing leathers cut away to accommodate the external fixator that was still around his leg!). Then he re-broke it riding a dirt bike, endured further operations, but this year was back racing again.

Admittedly, a leg is not an arm. But we're not talking about a broken finger either either.

There's a big difference. Ian Hutchinson's injury was much simpler from an orthopaedic point of view. Also importantly he retained knee/ankle function. Kubica has lost function in his elbow and wrist (there's a video of him walking around with it held at an awkward angle somewhere), he has damaged tendons and neurological injury.

The big problem here is his elbow in terms of accidents. Limbs dissipate a lot of energy through the joints flailing around in accidents. Since Robert's elbow is fixed the energy the elbow would normally dissipate is transferred fully to the joints above and below and the structures around the elbow such as his already damaged tendons. Hence the risk from an accident that would be harmless to anyone else is greater for him.

It is possible that Kubica is aware that he has no further scope for improved use of his right arm and therefore has nothing to lose by enjoying himself but if he's aiming for further rehabilitation risking all by rallying isn't the most intelligent move.

MrJan
18th September 2012, 22:49
While part of me cheers the fact that he's back behind the wheel of a car a large part of me does wonder why he's so willing to risk his recovery for what is still a hobby for him (rallying).

In that case you clearly don't understand the bug. He wants to drive so much that he's willing to risk it all. There is a guy that's entered a few hillclimbs that I've done that only has the use of one arm. He rides a motorbike with a sidecar and passenger, he just tucks the useless arm onto the fuel tank before he does a run. He does that because he loves motorsport. Kubica is the same, the payoff is worth the risk to him.

Malbec
19th September 2012, 10:37
In that case you clearly don't understand the bug. He wants to drive so much that he's willing to risk it all. There is a guy that's entered a few hillclimbs that I've done that only has the use of one arm. He rides a motorbike with a sidecar and passenger, he just tucks the useless arm onto the fuel tank before he does a run. He does that because he loves motorsport. Kubica is the same, the payoff is worth the risk to him.

Actually I do understand, I've treated a fair few amateur and professional racers in my time.

The guy you describe, did he race during his rehabilitation period?

Most have the intelligence to be able to assess the risks and hold off racing during their rehabilitation if it increases the risk of a career-ender. That is especially the case in professional racers as we are talking about a threat to their livelihood. That is why I raised the possibility that Kubica may know that there is no further improvement to be achieved and that he may as well go rallying.

rabf1
19th September 2012, 13:27
"Found this ... Robert's hand doesn't look normal but hopefully he will recover"

It looks from that video that his right arm is nearly useless. His elbow and wrist appear locked and unbendable and his hand also looks like it has minimal movement.

Tazio
22nd September 2012, 12:43
This would be pretty cool if it were to come to fruition.
F1Today.net - Formule 1-nieuws, live verslag, live updates, f1 test, uitslagen, gp2, gp3 (http://www.f1today.net/en/news/pirelli-eyes-kubica-as-new-f1-test-driver)

Koz
22nd September 2012, 12:59
Not so sure there doc, there's a big BUT in that.

"At the moment I have enough to drive a rally car, but not a single seater," he is quoted by French television TF1.

Kubica is, however, refusing to close the chapter.

"I still have too many limitations to drive a car on a track," he said in an interview with Italy's Omnicorse.

"And I'm not talking about a Formula One car; I mean any single seater."

F1: Kubica To Reveal Next Plans 'In Due Course' (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-robert-kubica-to-reveal-next-plans-in-due-course/)

TMorel
22nd September 2012, 15:33
Interesting that Alonso being interviewed about Robert and saying that as a friend he is glad to see him out there rallying, because that is what he has to do to get the limbs remembering how to compete. But then, he is saying that as a racer not a doctor.

Triumph
22nd September 2012, 20:51
Found this ... Robert's hand doesn't look normal but hopefully he will recover .... and to stick in rallying ;)
Robert Kubica-Ronde Gomitolo Di Lana !!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2TW84k2KPHE)

It's such a shame to see Robert in that condition. It's surely a miracle that he is back in a rally car and being competitive at all, but on the basis of that video it seems to be expecting a bit much to see him back in F1. He does look significantly disabled, but maybe time will allow him some better mobility.

I'm pleased for him that he has earned a lot of money during his time in F1, so at least he will have no money worries for his future.

Best wishes to Robert, and I hope we will all be pleasantly surprised, and one day see him back in an F1 car.

Triumph
22nd September 2012, 21:30

Thinking further back, Mick Doohan suffered an equally bad leg injury that would have led to amputation in normal circumstances - they had to temporarily graft it to his good leg to keep it alive - and returned within 2 months to try (unsuccessfully) to defend his championship lead, with the leg still visibly withered. And of course Barry Sheene had two horror crashes, about one of which he said "if I'd been a horse, they'd have shot me," and returned to racing in weeks or months both times.

Ian Hutchinson's leg injury is surely about as bad as could possibly be imagined that didn't result in amputation. It's not quite the same situation as Robert Kubica's though, as bike racing is much more upper body orientated. As long as Ian Hutchinson can bear weight on his left leg (and has some ankle mobility) then he can get by with a right-hand gear change on his bike.

I'm glad to hear that he is out for 2013 as it made me cringe to think that he would rush back into competition and risk risk further injury. He's going to be 35 years old before he is back in competitive shape for the road circuits, so that gives him at least a decade of further potential (by Dunlop standards), so I think we'll see more road circuit success from him yet. His Macau podium whilst still considerably less than fit is a good indicator of future potential.

Best wishes to Hutchy too, for his future.

:)

CNR
27th September 2012, 12:59
F1 : Surgeon informs former Formula 1 driver of long term arm injury diagnosis (http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35092:f1--surgeon-informs-former-formula-1-driver-of-long-term-arm-injury-diagnosis&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157)

Kubica's arm injury is long term, surgeon - The hand surgeon treating Robert Kubica has cast doubt on the Pole's return to Formula One and whether he can ever restore his right arm to full use.

kfzmeister
27th September 2012, 13:45
Time to change this thread's title and remove the word rumor

donKey jote
27th September 2012, 19:48
He could always return as team boss :) :andrea:

darkos
30th September 2012, 08:11
With Robert curring state he might have some chances in WRC but not in F1, he's done. So that's why he's racing in rallies. Becasue one you tasted competition you can never stop. That's racer nature, he always look for ways to race.

As for F1 he's Finnish :(

steffforno
30th September 2012, 16:57
Robert won the Rally Bassano... Sossela and Longhi that are great drivers say that he is a strong driver!!! I'll see in the F1 the next year!!!

steffforno
30th September 2012, 17:01
longhi says that is not yet 100%

wedge
17th November 2012, 01:05
Kubica says he can't drive single seaters. It seems his future is likely to be WRC. Personally I would love to see him do V8SC.

BBC Sport - Robert Kubica reveals he 'can't drive single seaters' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20351833)

52Paddy
17th November 2012, 03:00
Unfortunate news but this things take a lot of time and we might not get a definitive prognosis on his final condition until next year. At least he can competitively compete in rallying, though.

MrJan
24th January 2013, 12:12
I admire his determination and would welcome him back. Something struck me when reading the article about his limited movement. We've seen him in rally and his arm appears to be used very little when not in the car. I wonder if he has enough strength in it to climb out of an F1 car unaided?

I suspect so. There are rally drivers that climb out over the cage when they have no legs, I'm sure that one good arm and one half good arm would be enough to get out of an F1 car in the prescribed time.

steveaki13
24th January 2013, 12:41
I dont know. You see F1 drivers struggle to lift themselves out of the tight cockpit at the best of times.

There is also a 5 second code, isnt there? You have to be able to spring free in 5 seconds and replace the steering wheel within a certain time limit.

Knock-on
24th January 2013, 15:13
Yep. Out in 5 seconds nd refit the wheel in another 5. In practice it's quite easy and wouldn't pose an issue to RK.

driveace
24th January 2013, 21:39
Was it Trulli a few years ago that was so dehydrated that he had no strength to get out of the cockpit at the end of a race and he had to be lifted out by two officials or team members ?

anthonyvop
25th January 2013, 18:34
Footage and interview with Former Formula One driver Robert Kubica. He tested the DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé for the first time. The test took place on the Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia on Thursday, Jan. 24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07x0mSRUFTw&list=UUErQ7nAA929DWAqh8D-dV0Q&index=1

driveace
25th January 2013, 21:59
But he seems to struggle with movement in his right lower arm,and was supporting it as he walked away from the car.

airshifter
27th January 2013, 03:30
Good to see him back in a car again. It's sad to think that his F1 days are over, but I'm glad he is back in the seat of something that can get his blood flowing.

Ilona Uboat
19th February 2013, 22:27
I'm still Kubica fan, and wish him best. we will see him again somewhere this year. He has a petrol in his vains instead of blood.

25th February 2013, 06:56
Not a fan of F1 but if I was to watch the odd race Id be rooting for Kubica. That man sure does know how to wreck a car lol. Hope he gets better soon, seriously unlucky man at times.

Zico
4th March 2013, 12:04
Robert Kubica will contest the World Rally Championship's WRC2 tier in 2013, having signed a deal with Citroën. The ex-Formula 1 driver, who had been in talks with Mercedes over a potential DTM seat, will pilot a Citroën DS3 RRC at seven events.

The Pole, a former Grand Prix winner, will get his season underway by taking part in the European Rally Championship's Rally Canary Islands from March 21-23, while his primary WRC2 programme begins at Rally Portugal from April 11-14.

"I weighed up the different options before deciding on this programme," said Kubica. "I kept in touch with Citroën Racing and both sides were keen to continue working together. I’m really pleased now to be able to return to top-level racing.

"Taking part in Rally Islas Canarias will be an interesting challenge for me. I can’t wait to start racing, but I haven’t set myself any specific target. I still have a lot to learn in rallying and to improve I will need to rack up the miles on the stages."

Kubica will drive with a paddle shift gearbox throughout the 2013 campaign, with governing body the FIA permitting small cockpit modifications as he continues to recover from injuries sustained at the Ronde di Andora in early 2011.

Kubica signs WRC2 deal with Citroën - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-news/291258/kubica-signs-wrc2-deal-with-citroen/)

A good move by both parties imo.

N4D13
4th March 2013, 12:45
Now, I'm not much into rallying, but I'll certainly do whatever I can to see him in action! I've never attended the Rally Islas Canarias and, well, now I've got an excuse! :D

52Paddy
12th March 2013, 01:30
Great news. The WRC2 category has some decent drivers this year like Weigand and Protasov so will be interesting to see how his pace matches against them.

Sulland
19th July 2017, 15:34
What are the odds of a Kubica F1 return in 2017 or start of 2018 season?

truefan72
19th July 2017, 18:01
What are the odds of a Kubica F1 return in 2017 or start of 2018 season?

I'd say 50/50 right now
The Hungary test will be a big indicator

thuGG
19th July 2017, 18:02
Gathering from the rumours, quite high.
But wait two weeks for tests after Hungary, if he takes part, then it's almost sure.

Luijbregts
25th July 2017, 19:51
He is taking part. I am delighted for him. Hopefully this test will show that he is still in the game!

Tommy369
27th July 2017, 08:54
I wish him the best, he is a great talent. A lot of time have passed since the accident and I hope that he will finally return! I want him to win the championship, that would be a great story.

Bagwan
27th July 2017, 13:34
He'll perhaps slide into a testing role for them , and maybe be the driver for a two seater at promo events , which will increasing in number , but I don't see him in a race seat .

They'll take the publicity that's associated with the idea , though .

truefan72
2nd August 2017, 20:41
wow no comments about Kubica's impressive testing session?

142 laps, finished 4th with a 1:18:4
I never thought i'd see him back in an F1 car, let alone these heavier more physical 2017 cars.
I am very impressed and i think he just booked his seat for 2018 with that renault.
Well done Robert!

Luijbregts
2nd August 2017, 21:57
Very impressive. Even in front of Sainz Jr and Kvyat!

AndyL
4th August 2017, 10:09
The 142 laps is more impressive than the fastest time IMO. You don't know what testing strategies people are running so the times don't always give a true picture. But to complete 2 race distances in a day puts to bed any doubts about whether he is physically fit to return to F1. It will be great to see him back in F1 next year - if not before.