PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a decent new monitor and found this potential bargain... opinions?

Zico
13th August 2012, 10:12
Just a quick 'heads up'...

Its a Korean LED backlit 27" IPS WQHD (1440p) monitor that is currently selling for around £220-£230 (delivered) on Ebay. It uses a 'B' grade LG panel from one of the Thunderbolt-enabled 27" Apple Cinema displays. Input lag is stated as 6ms but is more like 10ms in reality. There is also a custom driver available that safely overclocks the refresh rate to 120hz. It gets a very good review and actually stacks up pretty well beside one of the £800 high end Dell monitors.
I dont mind a few dead pixels but having such a high resolution I can imagine they would be pretty hard to spot anyway.

Review here- http://techreport.com/articles.x/23291/1

Worth the risk... would you?

Zico
13th August 2012, 15:06
I thought there would be some fellow geeks on here? :p

Dave B
19th August 2012, 19:31
Depends what you're going to use it for. 10ms is a pretty poor response time, so if you're using it for gaming or video it might not be great, but for text or still images I can't see a problem.

BTW, I've got one single dead pixel on the 50" telly about 8' in front of me now, and on certain still scenes you can definitely see it!

Zico
20th August 2012, 12:19
Depends what you're going to use it for. 10ms is a pretty poor response time, so if you're using it for gaming or video it might not be great, but for text or still images I can't see a problem.

BTW, I've got one single dead pixel on the 50" telly about 8' in front of me now, and on certain still scenes you can definitely see it!

Thanks Dave, I've just double checked and its actually around 7ms grey to grey pixel response time, input lag is around 10ms which I dont think I'd notice considering my LG HDTV has 30ms input lag yet its barely noticable and perfectly playable.

Re- dead pixel- Im assuming your 50" telly is 1080p? The pixel density is effectively more than doubled ie; 50" 1080p vs 27" 1440p but then I would be sitting much closer. I've since read a few reviews where there have been dead pixels, they are said to be noticable only on a dark screen and only when looked for but not noticable at all playing games etc. Its also said to be excellent for gaming and has a stunning very sharp picture, I think Im gonna take a punt on this.

Dave B
20th August 2012, 14:48
Thanks Dave, I've just double checked and its actually around 7ms grey to grey pixel response time, input lag is around 10ms which I dont think I'd notice considering my LG HDTV has 30ms input lag yet its barely noticable and perfectly playable.
7ms is pretty respectable :up:

Re- dead pixel- Im assuming your 50" telly is 1080p? The pixel density is effectively more than doubled ie; 50" 1080p vs 27" 1440p but then I would be sitting much closer. I've since read a few reviews where there have been dead pixels, they are said to be noticable only on a dark screen and only when looked for but not noticable at all playing games etc. Its also said to be excellent for gaming and has a stunning very sharp picture, I think Im gonna take a punt on this.
It certainly is, and to be honest it's not a big deal. I know the pixel's there and I think my eye is drawn to it - I doubt I'd notice otherwise.