PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite moment/event/performance/competition of the Olympics?

Tazio
10th August 2012, 17:50
A little early however I thought I would post it before they're done and dusted:
Of all the events I watched (which were not all) the one that sticks out in my mind was the 1-nil British Women’s victory over Brazil. If you missed that match you missed something special. It's easy to argue that Brazil had a bad game; however GB had much more desire, and a perfect scheme. With great coaching GB are only a couple players away from being championship contenders.

Rollo
11th August 2012, 13:16
Hamadou Issaka coming last at the 2000m men's single sculls.
Sometimes simply competing carries with it something noble. Issaka will have inspired people in a nation where nationally subsidised sporting programs simply don't exist.

The way that the crowd cheered him on his way, the way he was so gracious, and the fact that he is an Olympian when so many of us will never be is worth more than a gold medal could be.

janneppi
11th August 2012, 20:59
The one thing that still makes me smile is when they footage from the runners warm up track where Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce was goofing off to someone on the bleechers, then she saw the that the camera was pointed towards her she froze for a second and ran away. :D

The worst part was when Fabian Cancellara managed to crash in mens road race, i was just waiting him to blitz the field on a 10km sprint for the gold.

BleAivano
12th August 2012, 13:36
Fredrik Lööf & Max Salminen winning the gold in the men's Star boat. :D

pino
12th August 2012, 15:15
Each medal won by Italy with special mention to women foil quartet :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
12th August 2012, 22:08
I think 3 moments made the hair stand up of the back of my neck. Two of those were Mo Farahs gold medals. 80,000 people roaring him on was incredible. The 3rd moment was Chris Hoys victory in the velodrome.

Alexamateo
13th August 2012, 00:03
Mexico winning Gold in Men's soccer was just awesome.

Tazio
13th August 2012, 05:37
I must say that Adam Eaton, and Trey Hardee winning gold and silver in the Decathlon (world’s greatest athlete competition) was a high point for me. ;)
Ashton Eaton beats Trey Hardee to win Olympic decathlon for USA - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCi_gPzrm8)

gadjo_dilo
13th August 2012, 09:24
All British moments but its the same for anybody I would think. Your countrymen doing you proud is what its all about. :)

That's exactly why I don't have a fav moment. We used to have so many good athlets in a lot of sports and now we can light a candle for our sport movement.

On these circumstances all I can mention is that I was happy to see again The Spice Girls. :laugh:

driveace
13th August 2012, 12:51
Watching the Brownlee Brothers from Bramhope near Leeds competing ,and winning Gold and Bronze Well done guys,They used to run past my house on Otley Chevin

Malbec
13th August 2012, 14:31
A little early however I thought I would post it before they're done and dusted:
Of all the events I watched (which were not all) the one that sticks out in my mind was the 1-nil British Women’s victory over Brazil. If you missed that match you missed something special. It's easy to argue that Brazil had a bad game; however GB had much more desire, and a perfect scheme. With great coaching GB are only a couple players away from being championship contenders.

There's no single moment for me, in fact there are too many to choose from.

It started with an opening ceremony that came in under the radar and far from being a boring and embarrassing screw up made me and many other people who are often normally deeply suspicious of anything resembling patriotism deeply proud of our country, society and its achievements. Just as importantly it put us in the right mood for the Olympics.

Then there were the volunteers, its difficult to get across how reliant the whole thing was on people who gave up their jobs and came to help for nothing more in return than their uniforms and a free travel pass for the fortnight. Every performer at the ceremonies (including the stars), helper and guide was unpaid as well as loads of technical support staff. At Beijing people were forcibly evicted from their homes to make room for the Olympic park. The contrast was and is stark. Their enthusiasm was infectious too and definitely helped contribute to the great atmosphere at the events. Fantastic.

Super Saturday. Trying to soak up the atmosphere at the Olympic stadium as Ennis and Farah won their medals. Its a pity in a way that Mo Farah isn't gay as otherwise he ticks every box on the Daily Mail hate list, black Muslim African immigrant. Quite a few bigots must have had their heads explode at the thought of him winning.

Then there were the athletes who had made a special effort, the 16 year old Saudi judoka, the first woman from her country ever to compete who wasn't even a black belt but got a standing ovation on her way in and out of her first and only match. The Japanese guy in the dressage who was 71 and had first competed at the Tokyo '64 Olympics and who wasn't ruling out a trip to Rio in 4 years time. Also, all those athletes who keep astonishing me by somehow training in terribly poor countries or warzones that manage to make it to these games regardless.

Finally London itself. Usually it takes a serious bombing for Londoners to start warming to each other (Luftwaffe, IRA or some jihadis, we are not picky) but for this fortnight the atmosphere in town has definitely been in party mode, something that few people predicted.

Its been a fantastic fortnight!

schmenke
13th August 2012, 14:43
My favourite moment of the games was when they were over :dozey:

gadjo_dilo
13th August 2012, 14:46
Then there were the volunteers, its difficult to get across how reliant the whole thing was on people who gave up their jobs and came to help for nothing more in return than their uniforms and a free travel pass for the fortnight.

That is a thing that NONE of my fellow countrymen would ever do. Explaining why we are where we are.

Tazio
13th August 2012, 15:29
never mind ;)

D-Type
13th August 2012, 17:16
As a Brit, I have to say the incredible number of British medals.

I also like the little guys - Grenada scoring its first gold; the Bahamas beating the mighty USA to take away "their" 4x400 gold medal; the runner from Burundi who was running in about her 7th proper race and qualified for the 800m final. That's what the Olympics is really about.

Malbec
15th August 2012, 21:36
That is a thing that NONE of my fellow countrymen would ever do. Explaining why we are where we are.

Don't be so sure, a year ago I would have said the same about Britain. Also I'm certain some of the volunteers were Romanian, the people dealing with the Romanian team would have been at the very least. The volunteers were almost as multinational as the athletes coming to the games!

gadjo_dilo
16th August 2012, 08:10
Don't be so sure, a year ago I would have said the same about Britain. Also I'm certain some of the volunteers were Romanian, the people dealing with the Romanian team would have been at the very least. The volunteers were almost as multinational as the athletes coming to the games!

Because otherwise they couldn't afford to stay in London for 3 weeks. :laugh:
It's possible to have romanian volunteers abroad.
Romanian volunteers in Romania? Never! Even the most common humanitarian gesture is made for some advantage.

ioan
16th August 2012, 10:55
Because otherwise they couldn't afford to stay in London for 3 weeks. :laugh:
It's possible to have romanian volunteers abroad.
Romanian volunteers in Romania? Never! Even the most common humanitarian gesture is made for some advantage.

There are well intentioned people everywhere around the world.
Didn't you ever help anyone just because you wanted to help them without getting anything in return?

gadjo_dilo
16th August 2012, 11:12
I did but in excange when I needed a helping hand nobody offered it without a material purpose.

I think it's something wrong about me.....

anthonyvop
16th August 2012, 18:01
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/380507_419230724779277_1144193308_n.jpg

Pretty much sums up my view of the past 2 weeks

ioan
16th August 2012, 18:10
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/380507_419230724779277_1144193308_n.jpg

Pretty much sums up my view of the past 2 weeks

Having several hundreds of great athletes in your country does not mean that the 100.000.000 obese suddenly doesn't exist anymore.
Outspending other nations doesn't make you any less fat nor less stupid.

Funny how people brag about and identify themselves with other people's achievements! :D

anthonyvop
16th August 2012, 18:23
Having several hundreds of great athletes in your country does not mean that the 100.000.000 obese suddenly doesn't exist anymore.
Outspending other nations doesn't make you any less fat nor less stupid.

Funny how people brag about and identify themselves with other people's achievements! :D

Funny how you rag on me and yet know nothing of my achievements or my connection to others.

Ross_Bentley
16th August 2012, 18:49
My favorite moment was when Katie Ledecky, the 15-year-old 800 meter gold medalist was interviewed afterward. What an incredible performance - in and out of the pool. All she talked about was having fun, being in the moment, not having any expectations, and just swimming. Compare that to so many athletes who get overly focused on winning a medal, and it's no surprise how she performed. I love the naivety of young athletes!

Oh, and Mo Farah's response as he crossed the finish line in both gold-medal-winning races...

ioan
16th August 2012, 23:12
Funny how you rag on me and yet know nothing of my achievements or my connection to others.

We all know more than enough about you. Also I didn't see any Anthony Vop participating in the Olympic games.

GridGirl
5th September 2012, 16:05
Great to see that Alex Zanardi won gold in the H4 hand bike time trial this afternoon. :)

BDunnell
5th September 2012, 17:02
Great to see that Alex Zanardi won gold in the H4 hand bike time trial this afternoon. :)

Yes, but what a shame it's gone totally unseen in terms of live coverage. I couldn't even find a live stream on the Channel 4 website. Having been told earlier how exciting the road cycling is to watch, how on earth has it not been deemed worthy of a live showing?

Gregor-y
12th September 2012, 21:20
Blur's post-Olympics concert was pretty good.

loowisham
18th September 2012, 20:33
There's no single moment for me, in fact there are too many to choose from.

It started with an opening ceremony that came in under the radar and far from being a boring and embarrassing screw up made me and many other people who are often normally deeply suspicious of anything resembling patriotism deeply proud of our country, society and its achievements. Just as importantly it put us in the right mood for the Olympics.

Then there were the volunteers, its difficult to get across how reliant the whole thing was on people who gave up their jobs and came to help for nothing more in return than their uniforms and a free travel pass for the fortnight. Every performer at the ceremonies (including the stars), helper and guide was unpaid as well as loads of technical support staff. At Beijing people were forcibly evicted from their homes to make room for the Olympic park. The contrast was and is stark. Their enthusiasm was infectious too and definitely helped contribute to the great atmosphere at the events. Fantastic.

Super Saturday. Trying to soak up the atmosphere at the Olympic stadium as Ennis and Farah won their medals. Its a pity in a way that Mo Farah isn't gay as otherwise he ticks every box on the Daily Mail hate list, black Muslim African immigrant. Quite a few bigots must have had their heads explode at the thought of him winning.

Then there were the athletes who had made a special effort, the 16 year old Saudi judoka, the first woman from her country ever to compete who wasn't even a black belt but got a standing ovation on her way in and out of her first and only match. The Japanese guy in the dressage who was 71 and had first competed at the Tokyo '64 Olympics and who wasn't ruling out a trip to Rio in 4 years time. Also, all those athletes who keep astonishing me by somehow training in terribly poor countries or warzones that manage to make it to these games regardless.

Finally London itself. Usually it takes a serious bombing for Londoners to start warming to each other (Luftwaffe, IRA or some jihadis, we are not picky) but for this fortnight the atmosphere in town has definitely been in party mode, something that few people predicted.

Its been a fantastic fortnight!

That it has. GB gave a wonderful account of themselves. It was needed in Europe.

I see how to get someone else's quotes included. Staring me in the face.

The IRA? Why did you include them? Just wondering. There many different groups of IRA as there are UDA,UDR,UFF,Red Hand of Ulster.Why not them also?

loowisham
18th September 2012, 20:36
My fav was the guy from South Africa, I believe that ran in the relay with prosthesis. Courage that will be next to impossible to defeat.

Malbec
18th September 2012, 22:40
The IRA? Why did you include them? Just wondering. There many different groups of IRA as there are UDA,UDR,UFF,Red Hand of Ulster.Why not them also?

The IRA are Republican. The rest you name are Protestant. The IRA were the only group you name that maintained a bombing campaign across the mainland UK and London specifically.

BTW you're behaving much better this time on the forum ;)

loowisham
18th September 2012, 23:14
Yes, but what a shame it's gone totally unseen in terms of live coverage. I couldn't even find a live stream on the Channel 4 website. Having been told earlier how exciting the road cycling is to watch, how on earth has it not been deemed worthy of a live showing?

A kid from Ireland (I believe) won the 1500 M in 4:20. These people that particiapte are a wonder and so humble.

loowisham
18th September 2012, 23:20
The IRA are Republican. The rest you name are Protestant. The IRA were the only group you name that maintained a bombing campaign across the mainland UK and London specifically.

BTW you're behaving much better this time on the forum ;)

I have never been here. Do I know you?

The IRA are Republican. There are specific groups. You should name which ones you are caused the havoc.

In Dublin the the UFF were involved with the British intelligence in a bombing that killed 29. It took thirty years for the truth to come out. Isn't that sad. And one cannot blame the brits as the Irish government dragged their feet.

Malbec
19th September 2012, 10:33
The IRA are Republican. There are specific groups. You should name which ones you are caused the havoc.

The provisional IRA. Perhaps you should mention by name the groups you are thinking of.

You do realise I'm talking specifically about the bombing of London?

loowisham
18th November 2012, 16:29
The provisional IRA. Perhaps you should mention by name the groups you are thinking of.

You do realise I'm talking specifically about the bombing of London?

It is not up to me to name which group you are speaking of. The onus is on you. It is akin to saying Manchester is a great football team. You have to specify which team you are speaking about.
As for the Republican movement attacking London. You left out the INLA and the RIRA.

Malbec
18th November 2012, 16:47
It is not up to me to name which group you are speaking of. The onus is on you. It is akin to saying Manchester is a great football team. You have to specify which team you are speaking about.
As for the Republican movement attacking London. You left out the INLA and the RIRA.

I guess PROVISIONAL IRA was not specific enough for you. Using your football analogy it is akin to me saying MANCHESTER UNITED and you asking me to specify which one.

INLA didn't bomb London and the real IRA was an offshoot of the IRA. Epic fail, now go and bother someone else please.

autoxgymkhana
20th November 2012, 03:45
gymnastics!!!

21st February 2013, 18:39
I'm swimming lover.Michael Phelps again perform very well in this event.The American victory brought the 17,000 crowd to its feet to salute Phelps’s moment of history.A success in the occasion he has possessed for 11 decades would have created him the first man in record to win three successive 200m butterfly titles.I'm big fan of him...great player!

EuroTroll
22nd February 2013, 05:51
I was in London for the Olympics and had a wonderful time! I was there for the athletics, and saw some amazing performances. Usain Bolt's 200 m, David Rudisha's 800 m world record, Ashton Eaton's decathlon and of course the men's discus throw where Estonia got a medal. :beer:

Some impressions:

1) The volunteers were great! They created a friendly and fun atmosphere for the whole event, always ready to help and cheer people on. Cheer on the spectators, I mean. :) So many of them, from all corners of the world, the games simply wouldn't have been the same without them.

2) The security forces certainly had the right attitude too! :cool: Noticing my Estonia T-shirt, the guy with an assault rifle gave me cheery "go Estonia!" :D

3) I couldn't find a flaw in the organization of the games if I tried. There were just the right number of entrances, exits, food stands, etc. to guarantee that you never had to wait long in queues.

4) The atmosphere in the Olympic Stadium was something special. The roars for British athletes, the tangible exitement when Usain Bolt entered the "kettle", the sincere appreciation for good performances.. I especially liked the fact that the stadium was always full of spectators, also in the mornings. That doesn't happen in many major events.

All in all, a very enjoyable and memorable five days for me. :)

25th February 2013, 19:08
I'm swimming lover.Michael Phelps again perform very well in this event.The American victory brought the 17,000 crowd to its feet to salute Phelps’s moment of history.A success in the occasion he has possessed for 11 decades would have created him the first man in record to win three successive 200m butterfly titles.I'm big fan of him...great player!
Pool Covers (http://www.thepoolfactory.com/pool-supplies/pool-covers)