PDA

View Full Version : Endomondo - Fitness challenges Nov/Dec 2012

Mark
9th August 2012, 15:03
Current Challenge:
November - December - Most Miles on Foot, Most Miles by Bike, Most Calories

For the next challenge I've decided to split it up in into different categories, as it's much easier to put the miles on a bike as it is on foot, so there are seperate challenges for 'By bike' and 'On foot'. There's a seperate overall category but that's done by the amount of calories you've burned in the meantime.

Challenges:
Most miles by bike : Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/jVdr9MPUz-o)
Most miles on foot : Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/j31laWt7p3g)
Most calories : Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/o_Xmyzhvkr0)

I was originally going to run it for 4 months over the winter but the interest comes at the end so this one is 2 months again and will take us to the end of the year.

Good luck!

About Endomondo: Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com)

It's an app you install on your smart phone and whenever you are out and about it will track you via GPS and allow you to see how you are doing, how far you've been etc. You can take part in many different challenges of which the Motorsport Forums challenge is one. You don't have to sign up using your real name.

If you are already using Endomono your existing workouts will count towards this challenge.

Updated: 01-Nov-12

Tazio
9th August 2012, 15:38
Mark why don't you get yourself (another) an Australian servant girl, which is realllllllly randy??? :confused: Then relax !

Tazio
9th August 2012, 15:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3PB1jWO3_E

Mark
9th August 2012, 16:12
WTF, are you on drugs?

GridGirl
9th August 2012, 20:08
I've had a slow start to this months exercise regime. Too much time spent watching the Olympics on tv instead. I'm in it to win it. ;)

Mark
9th August 2012, 20:13
I'm plugging away and have a healthy lead but I'm under no illusions here :D

Tazio
9th August 2012, 20:14
WTF, are you on drugs?

Maybe? :p imp:

Mark
9th August 2012, 20:17
Maybe? :p imp:

Drugs aren't allowed in this competition, sorry!

Tazio
10th August 2012, 03:36
Is this a competition? :confused: because my 58y/o body has a nimble, polwerful, very coordinated athleticism, even for where I come from. Cheers to you for even understanding a very old espression: "no pain? no gain.!" Stiff upper lip and all that mate ;)

J4MIE
10th August 2012, 07:01
I can see myself losing very badly with this...

Mark
10th August 2012, 08:36
Although GridGirl is currently stone last :p .. I don't expect this situation to continue and would still say she's favourite for the title!

GridGirl
11th August 2012, 09:02
Mark, I'm trying to give you guys a head start. ;)

Mark
11th August 2012, 16:51
And we've all just been trounced by Greg :D

GridGirl
11th August 2012, 17:35
Might need to step up my game with a cycle over Shap on Monday. A couple of category 5 climbs and one category 4 climb on Monday might put me back contention.

tfp
11th August 2012, 18:27
I dont know how it works but it sounds like fun :)
Wish I'd known about this before!

Mark
11th August 2012, 18:38
I might run it again for September.

janneppi
11th August 2012, 18:41
It's pretty similar to Sportstracker. I like they work with bluetooth heart rate monitor-devices, i used one when skii-in or road cycling to keep an eye on my fitness progress(or the lack of).

A.F.F.
11th August 2012, 19:06
Sportstracker is way better than Endomondo. I have used it with
three diffrent monille phones and it works brilliantly.

J4MIE
11th August 2012, 22:23
I think the route maps look better in Sports Tracker, but overall I prefer Endomondo.

tfp
11th August 2012, 23:40
I might run it again for September.

I should be less busy at work in september, I'll keep an eye on the chit chat section on here and hopefuly I can join in then :)

This looks like a test for ourselves aswel as comparing our distances to others. After all, road cyclists would cover way more ground than off road cyclists and runners, etc. But I'd be interested to see how far I could travel!

J4MIE
11th August 2012, 23:48
Weather forecast for next week is not good, so my bike will be staying at home!! :p :

GridGirl
12th August 2012, 11:29
Rain? Rain is character building. :p

janvanvurpa
12th August 2012, 16:28
Is this a competition? :confused: because my 58y/o body has a nimble, polwerful, very coordinated athleticism, even for where I come from. Cheers to you for even understanding a very old espression: "no pain? no gain.!" Stiff upper lip and all that mate ;)

Say what?
I wuz under the impression the saying was "No brain, no pain"

I musta been mistaken all those years.
(says the man with 5 operations last 4 years for old injuries.....)

Shirley it can't be related?

donKey jote
12th August 2012, 19:08
Can I use Endomondo on the plane back home? :andrea:

donKey jote
12th August 2012, 19:12
Mark why don't you get yourself (another) an Australian servant girl, which is realllllllly randy??? :confused: Then relax !

eh? You mean Mark and Daniel shared more than a room? :crazy: :andrea:

fizzicist
14th August 2012, 23:09
I just wish you'd run this in March ;)

Mark
15th August 2012, 08:39
At the half way point of the month, here are the current standings:

1 Mark - 122mi / 196km
2 fizzicist - 99mi / 159km
3 GridGirl - 57mi / 91km
4 Daniel - 38mi / 61km
5 J4MIE - 14mi / 22km

tfp
18th August 2012, 21:19
How is the distance recorded? Is it through GPS on your phone or something?

J4MIE
18th August 2012, 23:06
Yes, recorded using the Endomondo app which uses GPS.

tfp
18th August 2012, 23:17
Yes, recorded using the Endomondo app which uses GPS.

I thought so, could be a problem for me seeing as though a lot of cycling I do through woods etc I get no phone signal :(

Mark
19th August 2012, 09:35
It doesn't use phone signal. It uses GPS which comes from satellites.

That may be blocked from time to time by trees (or more likely the accuracy slightly reduced) but the app will just fill in the blanks anyway.

airshifter
19th August 2012, 19:57
It doesn't use phone signal. It uses GPS which comes from satellites.

That may be blocked from time to time by trees (or more likely the accuracy slightly reduced) but the app will just fill in the blanks anyway.

I hope it does so better than our old Garmin GPS. We have several tunnels in this area, and for some reason it messes with the GPS unit. It's not uncommon for our highest speed to read 200+. Not bad for a people and stuff hauling mid sized SUV!

Mark
19th August 2012, 20:29
GridGirl just did a 60 mile cycle ride to move into 2nd place!

Dave B
19th August 2012, 23:19
I'm going to lend my postman an old handset and kick all your butts :p

J4MIE
20th August 2012, 00:46
Just utterly failed to get my bike in the back of the Panda, even with the front wheel removed could just about squeeze it in, but would damage something so not going to risk it. Will have to get a roof carrier for it which will be at least after pay day but might put it off longer if it's starting to get colder then :p :

GridGirl
20th August 2012, 16:31
I might have moved into second place but that bike ride was the toughest I've ever done. Although worth it to cycle with Bradley Wiggins. :D Had to take my training partner to the minor injuries unit this morning so I could now be out of the race now I don't have an exercise buddy. :(

Mark
21st August 2012, 08:36
Gone to hospital! I thought he was just whinging as usually :p

Knock-on
25th August 2012, 19:49
I wondered why my Facebook was getting filled up with useless crap Mark. I was at the point of deleting you :p

Can we have a driving one next month. I need to get home on the 1st and it's a long wayyyyyy.

Btw Jamie, that's an embarrassment. I walk further going to the toilet!

Mark
25th August 2012, 19:56
I believe you can choose not to receive any more updates from a particular app. So next time you see an Endomondo one there should be an icon at the top right.

Knock-on
25th August 2012, 21:14
Mark with a sense of humour bypass :p

J4MIE
26th August 2012, 01:55
It has been raining here do not bothered going out ;) I'm still waiting to see how good Mark is at tennis :p :

Mark
26th August 2012, 14:16
It has been raining here do not bothered going out ;) I'm still waiting to see how good Mark is at tennis :p :

I suck at Tennis!

Mark
31st August 2012, 09:09
It seems I have an 81 mile lead going into the last day. If GridGirl or fizzicist can manage 81 miles before midnight then fair play to you :D

GridGirl
31st August 2012, 10:50
That will be a big fat no from me. I was out of the competition when Ibby decided to become an invalid a couple of weeks ago. Can't get decent mileage done on my own. :(

ioan
31st August 2012, 17:57
I'll take up the challenge starting next year in April, until then the weather and early darkness in the evening will not be optimum for riding outside.
I'll have to check if endomondo has a BB app as I won't be riding with the Galaxy tab. ;)

Mark
1st September 2012, 09:31
Final standings for August. Anyone up for another challenge?

Mark 233.98 mi
fizzicist150 .33 mi
GridGirl 146.22 mi
Daniel 49.60 mi
J4MIE 14.91 mi

ioan
1st September 2012, 18:41
I'll give it a try for September if weather allows. Tomorrow should be sunny, I'll give it a go in the afternoon, I just need to find the Endomondo app for BlackBerry.

ioan
1st September 2012, 18:47
They have apps for Blackberry but not for Bold 9900. Anyone knows if another BB model app will work on the 9900?

GridGirl
1st September 2012, 19:46
I will join for fun but don't think I'll have a chance to fight it out for the win. :)

Mark
1st September 2012, 20:03
After tomorrow I won't have the big ride to train for and the nights are drawing in so my milage will be limited!

Mark
1st September 2012, 20:08
New challenge is open!

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/jildvo3KXD0

ioan
2nd September 2012, 19:33
Looks like my BlackBerry did work with an older version of the app.

ioan
2nd September 2012, 19:43
Looks like my BlackBerry did work with an older version of the app.

Mark
9th September 2012, 20:43
It's a start :D

Don't forget to join the challenge!
http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/6700451

Mark
11th September 2012, 08:10
Who is Bartosz on there?

Mark
11th September 2012, 17:34
I've removed Bartosz Piotr Wojciechowski as he looks like someone who just joins challenges. Apologies if you are a forum member!

ioan
11th September 2012, 20:59
I've removed Bartosz Piotr Wojciechowski as he looks like someone who just joins challenges. Apologies if you are a forum member!

That's what it looked like to me too.
I also saw that other groups removed him also as no one knew him.

ioan
11th September 2012, 21:00
On the other hand we do have some real competition this months in this challenge. :up:

donKey jote
11th September 2012, 21:18
I would have joined too but then I suddenly realised you measure miles instead of metres :dozey:

Gregor-y
12th September 2012, 21:17
I've thought about it but I'm not a fan of using my real name anywhere let alone using the same user name between forums. I normally use Sports Tracker, but this would be an even bigger incentive to commute by bike or ride on the weekends.

J4MIE
12th September 2012, 23:06
I got my bike rack off the car and had a quick 20 minute ride in Hamsterley, really enjoyed it but need to get waaaaaay fitter. Off the bottom of the challenge list now though!! :p :

Gregor-y
16th September 2012, 22:51
Well, I've got Endomondo installed and synched and now I'm getting seven months of sports tracker synched and seeing if I can export September's records over to the former. I've never messed with many Android functions but I can say it's no easier than anything else I do.

J4MIE
16th September 2012, 23:32
You can manually add workouts to Emdomondo if necessary.

Gregor-y
17th September 2012, 00:03
I did, though I guess since the 31st counts I should load my commutes to and from work from Friday. I just tried a longer ride than I've ever done and am very happy it is going to rain tomorrow so I can take the train and let my joints heal.

When I moved to a place where I could commute safely to work I used inline skates for two summers then bought a bike in 2008 after a nasty accident involving a stray bottle cap. I rode it any time it was dry and a few times well below freezing, though not too often in the deep winter.
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3097/bikeoa.jpg
After four years of the same roughly ten mile commute the chain, cassette and top chain ring needed replacing and I got the idea of getting something a bit heavier for long distance trips and commuting without a backpack. I bought a touring bike and have been swapping it off and on with my old bike, which probably weighs half or a third of this thing.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6743/lhti.jpg
I'm still working getting a new seat I bought for it to a comfortable place. Then again with no practice or special clothes 80 miles on this isn't a great idea in any case. But lord knows at 16 stone I can use the exercise.

J4MIE
17th September 2012, 00:56
I don't really know anything about bikes but they look good to me :up: Hopefully the wind dies down quite quickly, I really hate going out when it's windy. Aiming to get out a couple of evenings this week, hopefully with Mark if we can arrange a time for it :up:

Mark
17th September 2012, 09:09
And Gregor manages to make us all look silly :laugh:

1 Gregor -y 270.13 mi
2 Mark 137.11 mi
3 fizzicist 118.49 mi
4 GridGirl 99.77 mi
5 Ioan 77.36 mi
6 David Fender 46.03 mi
7 J4MIE 5.78 mi
8 Iain Wells 3.57 mi

donKey jote
17th September 2012, 17:29
And Gregor manages to make us all look silly :laugh:

And you all haven't even posted any of your lycra pics :eek:

Mark
17th September 2012, 19:31
I don't wear lycra ;)

Mark
17th September 2012, 20:03
I've always avoided the idea of cycling in the dark but I'm wondering if I want to get any miles in after work then it may be unavoidable. Any advice or just don't do it?

GridGirl
17th September 2012, 20:11
If you want to cycle in the dark it would be a good idea to get reflective clothing. I have some Altura night vision leggings and an Altura night vision jacket so im light up like a Christmas tree if a car approaches.

I cycled 42km in the soaking wet rain yesterday. I have officially decided it is time to bring out the winter gear and resign the cycling shorts to the back of the wardrobe until next year.

donKey jote
17th September 2012, 20:13
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-50333102007840_2229_176175628

GridGirl
17th September 2012, 20:15
Loving the legging donkey. I might rock that look at the Tour de France next summer. If you can't beat em, join em is what I say. :D

J4MIE
17th September 2012, 22:42
What you need to do, Mark, is some sort of indoor activity over winter that will keep you fit.

*ahem* Tennis *cough* :p :

GridGirl
19th September 2012, 11:30
Join as Henners 88 then. Half of my Endomondo friends have changed their name to Fat Wiggo, Chubby Wiggo and Big Wiggo in honour of Bradley Wiggins.

Mark
19th September 2012, 12:15
You can indeed change your name once you've signed up. You can also set detailed privacy , if Everyone, Friends, or just you can see your stats for everything, and you can turn off maps too so that it will just show e.g. Henners88 has done 8 miles cycling. But doesn't show where.

Best way is to sign up and have a play with the options.

Edit: Just tried changing my name : it works :D (even when signed in using facebook)

GridGirl
19th September 2012, 12:21
You can change privacy setting so everyone can see certain things such as height, weight, and routes. Alternatively you can set your privacy so that only yourself can see certain things or just your friends. I have some things such as weight that only I can see, my friends can see my routes but people that don't know me can only see my statistics in terms of fastest times set for sports.

Mark
19th September 2012, 14:43
It is strange that I can watch Gregor-y's live progress and then use street view to see exactly where he's riding. Clever stuff; technology ;)

Gregor-y
19th September 2012, 15:33
I didn't know it showed live data on the website. That's actually really cool. I've enjoyed looking at the routes everyone is taking through their own cities and neighborhoods. Going to work I generally leave the trail and head through the middle of town to keep up the variety. Things aren't too crowded in the morning so it is reasonably safe. During the evening rush hour, particularly as it gets darker, it's better to stay on the slightly longer bike path.

Plus going through town avoids this area that gets hit during storms. Last year there was a particularly nasty one that made the news:
HUGE WAVES: Joggers ambushed by walls of water - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3BgWG-9XAs)

When I signed up for Endomondo I never gave it my actual name, though it does require a first and last name so I'm listed as "-y, Gregor."

GridGirl
19th September 2012, 18:30
It is strange that I can watch Gregor-y's live progress and then use street view to see exactly where he's riding. Clever stuff; technology ;)

If I go out running in the dark on my own I get Ibby to stalk me on Endomondo. It's quite handy from a safety point of view as he would know beforehand where I was going and what time roughly when I would be expected to get home. If I deviate hugely from a planned route or stop he would know something was wrong. :)

Mark
19th September 2012, 19:20
I keep trying to get Karen to join for that reason but she hates signing up to stuff.

Mark
19th September 2012, 19:46
I see you Henners :) Good participation this month.

I'd like to hear some ideas on future challenges. I'm not necessarily going to just do month by month most miles. I was considering having a 3 or 4 month long challenge for the winter.

Mark
24th September 2012, 15:09
There's a good participation this month so I've decided to extend this challenge to run until the end of October instead of the end of September.

I've been thinking about doing a winter challenge which would be for Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb (obviously those in the southern hemisphere would be at an advantage but I don't think we have any just now!), good idea / bad idea?

Gregor-y
25th September 2012, 17:07
I could use a challenge to give me some extra motivation to ride this winter.

ioan
25th September 2012, 23:02
My rides last week end have not been the brightest idea, I've been sick for 2 days now, with a sore throat, lots of coughing and a bit of fever.
Hopefully it will go away by the time the week end arrives! :D

Good idea to continue in October, however after that I will really not be in a position to continue, the weather will be a biker's nightmare till March at least.

Mark
26th September 2012, 09:14
Good idea to continue in October, however after that I will really not be in a position to continue, the weather will be a biker's nightmare till March at least.

It's going to be the same here which is why I thought of the extended winter challenge, to encourage us to get out a do something even if the weather is bad!

Mind you; cold and dark I can deal with, ice on the roads - not so good.

ioan
26th September 2012, 19:34
It's going to be the same here which is why I thought of the extended winter challenge, to encourage us to get out a do something even if the weather is bad!

Mind you; cold and dark I can deal with, ice on the roads - not so good.

You're tough Mark. I have nothing against cold, but not on a bike at 30 km/h. I used to ride a bike around the year when I was a student, sunshine, rain or snow, day or night, but nowadays I really shy away from biking under 0 degrees.

Mark
26th September 2012, 19:44
lol. Say that when I've been doing it for a while. I'll prolly give up.

Mark
26th September 2012, 19:57
Realistically I won't be riding in winter proper. I'm going to lose a lot of my hard won fitness (ok fitter than I was!) which I'm not looking forward to!

I guess I'll just have to make sure I get back on the bike at the earliest opportunity and put the work in to get up to speed for summer - if we have one!

J4MIE
26th September 2012, 22:53
Or you could do an indoor game of tennis, badminton etc, no excuse in winter time :p : :laugh:

Mark
27th September 2012, 08:39
I think I'll be far too busy those days ;)

Gregor-y
28th September 2012, 15:31
I stopped this morning to help a commuter that hit a goose on the path (it's migration time again). She took a headfirst tumble, chewing up a palm and having her sunglasses driven into her face causing some bleeding around the nose bridge, but the helmet absorbed the really dangerous hit to the left forehead. Still it was about ten minutes before she was able to speak straight and stand without wobbling. The worst thing I've seen with motorcycle -and bike- accidents is the rider thinks they are fine against all advice until they realize they're having a hard time standing and being understood. Luckily we have so many commuters it was only a matter of time until someone with EMT training came along to provide direction with a little more authority than a gaggle of commuters.

The goose seems to have had the better of the crash, other than losing a few feathers. It was airborne so it wasn't run down and was grazing with a flock of about 20 other birds nearby. The bike wasn't damaged, either.

Mark
30th September 2012, 17:30
End of the month and I'm on 264 miles. I'm happy with that :)

Mark
2nd October 2012, 09:31
Current standings with the competition to run until the end of October

1 Gregor-y 384.32 mi
2 Mark 279.07 mi
3 fizzicist 206.73 mi
4 GridGirl 141.57 mi
5 Ioan 119.17 mi
6 Dave Fender 46.03 mi
7 Daniel 21.88 mi
8 henners88 18.53 mi
9 Iain 11.67 mi
10 J4MIE 5.78 mi

GridGirl
2nd October 2012, 13:37
Im quite pleased with my placing seeing as I only went on my bike twice last month. :)

ioan
3rd October 2012, 21:49
End of the month and I'm on 264 miles. I'm happy with that :)

Well you are entitled to be happy, you racked them up yourself! :up:

On my side I've been sick, in bed for the last 5 days, only today I finally managed to get back to work. Those were the worse 5 days of my last few years. Had horribly high fever and couldn't eat a thing. Lost about 3 kgs too. On top of it the weather was gorgeous last week end, it would have been perfect for 2 riding sessions. :(

Mark
4th October 2012, 08:31
Sorry to hear that! And good that you're getting back on your feet.

Gregor-y
4th October 2012, 22:15
There's a strong cold front coming through this afternoon with strong winds and maybe rain for my commute home. Worse, the wind's changed direction so I'll be biking into the wind again just like this morning. Ah well, at least it's not cold enough for sleet.

Mark
5th October 2012, 10:48
Endomondo now allows challenges based on multiple sports.

So for the winter challenge, Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb I propose to have two categories
Cycling - Mountain Biking, Cycling Transport, Cycling Sport
On foot - Walking, Hiking, Running

Thoughts?

J4MIE
5th October 2012, 22:56
Go for it - I think I will still be last though!! :p :

ioan
6th October 2012, 13:45
Endomondo now allows challenges based on multiple sports.

So for the winter challenge, Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb I propose to have two categories
Cycling - Mountain Biking, Cycling Transport, Cycling Sport
On foot - Walking, Hiking, Running

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea.
What about skiing and skating? Shall these be logged under 'On foot'?

Mark
6th October 2012, 18:12
I guess so. It's easier to cover distance on Skis than walking but why not.

Mark
14th October 2012, 15:32
Sounds like an interesting trip! I do find the mindset of reverting to violence quite interesting. As you say giving someone a good kicking doesn't change anything except getting him in more trouble with the police!

I've been out today too. Did my longest single stint on my bike to date 33 miles. I had to shelter under a tree for about 15 minutes half way around as it started lashing it down. It was fine after that but very muddy on the cycle path so me and the bike were covered!

I thought I would be quicker than I was last time I did that route on the Durham Big Ride but I was a bit slower! I reckon because there were other riders then I was trying to keep up. But the difference is this time I feel fine not destroyed!

Gregor-y
19th October 2012, 16:43
Three days of off and on rain are making me stir crazy. It may not be dry tomorrow, but as long as rain is not falling I can at least make another shopping trip on the bike.

Daniel
21st October 2012, 00:04
Sounds like an interesting trip! I do find the mindset of reverting to violence quite interesting. As you say giving someone a good kicking doesn't change anything except getting him in more trouble with the police!
Violence is a funny thing. I myself like to fight men for their women, that's how I won Caroline :up:

Mark
26th October 2012, 13:22
Daniel is currently mounting a challenge to take 3rd place!

Daniel
26th October 2012, 14:20
Daniel is currently mounting a challenge to take 3rd place!

Not quite! But if I get a chance to do a decent ride on Saturday and put in a good ride each day of the week next week then I might!

Mark
26th October 2012, 14:24
61 miles to overtake fizzicist - but that assumes he doesn't do any more miles by Thursday.

Daniel
26th October 2012, 14:25
61 miles to overtake fizzicist - but that assumes he doesn't do any more miles by Thursday.

Well, I have the luxury of being able to take as much time as possible :p

Mark
26th October 2012, 14:26
Given the weather for me at the moment I won't be surprised if you beat me in the winter challenge!

Daniel
26th October 2012, 14:27
Given the weather for me at the moment I won't be surprised if you beat me in the winter challenge!

Well, I will try and ride during the winter no matter what :)

GridGirl
26th October 2012, 14:29
I have hardly done anything for the last few weeks as I've had lung pain, a side strain which meant it hurt to raise and stretch my arms to go cycling and then eventually a cold. Now I'm waiting to find out whether I will be working in a couple of hundred miles away from home next week or flying out to New York to work there instead. Either way it means the only exercise looking likely will involve a hotel gym. :(

Mark
26th October 2012, 14:33
Well, I will try and ride during the winter no matter what :)

Yeah, I'll give it a go but it won't be easy - The cold is one thing, but it's just been a constant drizzle here for the last week. I can already feel a big difference between when I used to go out at least three times a week to now where it's once a week at the most.

Daniel
26th October 2012, 14:34
I have hardly done anything for the last few weeks as I've had lung pain, a side strain which meant it hurt to raise and stretch my arms to go cycling and then eventually a cold. Now I'm waiting to find out whether I will be working in a couple of hundred miles away from home next week or flying out to New York to work there instead. Either way it means the only exercise looking likely will involve a hotel gym. :(

Lightweight! I fell off my bike 3 times the other week and bruised a rib. It still hurts now but I ride nonetheless :p

Daniel
26th October 2012, 14:36
Yeah, I'll give it a go but it won't be easy - The cold is one thing, but it's just been a constant drizzle here for the last week. I can already feel a big difference between when I used to go out at least three times a week to now where it's once a week at the most.

I guess I'm just more tolerant of the weather! A couple of times I went for a ride up at the Brenig the weather was properly nasty. When I was riding across the wall of the reservoir the wind and rain were coming across at me sideways. Something very enjoyable about braving the elements and then coming home and jumping in a warm bath and having a soak.

GridGirl
26th October 2012, 15:25
Lightweight! I fell off my bike 3 times the other week and bruised a rib. It still hurts now but I ride nonetheless :p

I never said I hadn't done any exercise in the last couple of weeks, I have just done very little compared to usual. As it happens I went out and ran a 5km personal best by more than two minutes during that time even though my lungs feel like crap.

Personally, I wouldn't brag about falling off my bike three times. Poor bike maintenance Vs lack of skill? :p

J4MIE
26th October 2012, 17:48
It's too cold walking from the house to the car and from the car to the office, never mind going out to enjoy yourself!

May or may not get an exercise bike/treadmill, and an extra heater to warm up the garage beforehand :\

GridGirl
27th October 2012, 11:20
Just been out running and achieved personal bests for running 1km and 10km as well as distance covered in one hour. Not bad considering I have a cold and kept having to stop every kilometre or so to de-snot! Might go out and try again tomorrow. :D

Mark
27th October 2012, 16:24
Did 17.5 miles but that will be my only cycling this week. Already feeling weaker than before :(

Gregor-y
31st October 2012, 18:50
Has anyone had problems with this application lately? On my last three trips I get to (or home from) work and find it's turned itself off somewhere along the way.

Mark
31st October 2012, 19:46
Yep. I cycled all of 1 mile on Sunday but it managed to stop tracking after 100 yards and then start again 0.1 miles before the end. Odd. All I can think is it was because I didn't blank the screen as I've never had any problems when I've done that.

They've just released a new version for iPhone today. Hopefully this will improve matters.

Mark
1st November 2012, 09:28
The September / October challenge has finished, congratulations to everyone who took part - especially Gregor-y who managed 669.61 miles in 2 months!

Final standings
1 Gregor -y 669.61 mi
2 Mark 488.83 mi
3 fizzicist 249.41 mi
4 GridGirl 222.74 mi
5 Daniel 166.06 mi
6 Ioan 146.38 mi
7 Dave Fender 48.30 mi
8 J4MIE 39.72 mi
9 Iain 34.37 mi
10 Henners88 27.60 mi

Mark
1st November 2012, 10:41
For the next challenge I've decided to split it up in into different categories, as it's much easier to put the miles on a bike as it is on foot, so there are seperate challenges for 'By bike' and 'On foot'. There's a seperate overall category but that's done by the amount of calories you've burned in the meantime.

Challenges:
Most miles by bike : Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/jVdr9MPUz-o)
Most miles on foot : Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/j31laWt7p3g)
Most calories : Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports (http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/o_Xmyzhvkr0)

I was originally going to run it for 4 months over the winter but the interest comes at the end so this one is 2 months again and will take us to the end of the year.

Good luck!

Mark
7th November 2012, 14:05
Is Uwe Kopka a member of this forum?

Gregor-y
7th November 2012, 16:22
He's put a lot of miles on so far this month whoever he is.

monty123
19th December 2012, 10:43
I would surely like to take part in this competition and i would like to know the procedure of participation. I would like to know that what are the eligibility criteria for this.

Mark
19th December 2012, 10:57
Sorry your poor attempts at spam have failed.

Mark
19th December 2012, 11:16
I think it's fair to say coming towards the end of the current challenges that cyling is rather one sided this time

1. Gregor-y 320 miles
2. Mark 49 miles
3. tfp 4 miles
4. GridGirl 0.75 miles

On foot is slightly closer

1. GirdGirl 98 miles
2. Gregor-y 60 miles
3. Mark 55 miles
4. J4MIE 40 miles (most of which are fake I think ;) )

Overall calories

1. fizzicist 19,361 (not sure what he's been doing to get this!)
2. GridGirl 9,503
3. Mark 9,116
4. J4MIE 1,807
5. tfp 236

Gregor-y
19th December 2012, 17:53
Well, this is the 260-somethingth day Chicago has had no snow. It's been around freezing in the mornings and after sundown but pretty warm during the day. I only got so much walking in because I was on vacation last week and the city was very convenient on foot.
http://imageshack.us/a/img202/8043/frontoqw.jpg

ioan
19th December 2012, 23:38
I think it's fair to say coming towards the end of the current challenges that cyling is rather one sided this time

1. Gregor-y 320 miles
2. Mark 49 miles
3. tfp 4 miles
4. GridGirl 0.75 miles

On foot is slightly closer

1. GirdGirl 98 miles
2. Gregor-y 60 miles
3. Mark 55 miles
4. J4MIE 40 miles (most of which are fake I think ;) )

Overall calories

1. fizzicist 19,361 (not sure what he's been doing to get this!)
2. GridGirl 9,503
3. Mark 9,116
4. J4MIE 1,807
5. tfp 236

Looks like you guys are having fun.
Owing to the crap weather, the amount of work and traveling done lately I have a big fat 0 on my name to date, though i could have logged some kms of walking around a few rather exotic middle east cities, the only issue was the rather steep data services costs.
Hopefully I'll do some skiing soon to catch up with you lot.

Robinho
24th December 2012, 09:49
Right kids, how do I play, I've just started cycling a little, instead of running, and I've just downloaded and used endomondo for the 1st time today

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mark
24th December 2012, 11:02
Have a look at my post from 1st Nov and see if you can join the challenges there. Although they don't have long to run until the end of the year!

Robinho
24th December 2012, 11:26
I get an access denied on the cycling page, I can see the on foot page though. I assume you will run a new challenge in the new year?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mark
24th December 2012, 11:37
Yes. We had to make some of them private as there were random people joining the challenges for some reason.