PDA

View Full Version : Too many penalties

nik
1st August 2012, 13:20
When did this trend start in F1 to give out penalties for any little incident.

I see Maldonado got a drive through for trying to pass Di Resta and accidently over-steered into him. You seem to get a penalty for anything these days.

Your half an inch of the race track - PENALTY
You accidently touch - PENALTY
Gearbox change - PENALTY
You break wind - PENALTY

I would have loved to see Michael off the front row in Monaco but he had a stupid penalty. If they want to punish you for a gearbox change, wouldn't it be better to take 2 points off the team? Otherwise it just confuses qually for the casual fan, with half the grid not starting where they qualifyed cos of damn penalties.

Stop with the penalties - it's called racing, things happen and sometimes drivers are going to touch each other! :rolleyes:

Tazio
1st August 2012, 13:37
sometimes drivers are going to touch each other!Hopefully in the privacy of their own bedrooms :s tareup: :s pinhead:

steveaki13
1st August 2012, 18:11
I tend to agree.

I think the Penalties for Gearbox and Engines are to drive costs down.

I quite like the points away idea. The team will take a chance on extra engines as they can always make up 10 places, but no team will want to lose points.

ArrowsFA1
1st August 2012, 19:18
Yes there are too many rules governing what teams and drivers can and cannot do resulting in those penalties.

Then again, do we want to go back to the days when Senna went unpunished for deliberately driving into Prost at Suzuka in 1990?

As with everything there has to be a balance somewhere.

steveaki13
1st August 2012, 20:33
Yes there are too many rules governing what teams and drivers can and cannot do resulting in those penalties.

Then again, do we want to go back to the days when Senna went unpunished for deliberately driving into Prost at Suzuka in 1990?

As with everything there has to be a balance somewhere.

I agree Arrows.

This is right it is a balance. I just feel the balance was best in the late 90s early 2000s. Hardly any racing incident penalties, but at least they punished intentional bad driving.

Lets just balance the balance

jens
1st August 2012, 20:35
They ought to give some kind of penalties for engine and gearbox changes if they want to enforce the rule of them lasting for several GP weekends. But we can be open about discussing, which kind of penalty should it be.

About penalizing every racing incident. Well, I remember we had serious discussions about it already in 2008, when Hamilton got a lot of penalties and the most ridiculous one was the incident with Bourdais at Fuji. In 2009 F1 fans were a bit more satisfied as a former driver was added to the panel of stewards.

However, at times we are still getting penalties, which seem like an overreaction. But I think nowadays the governing body wants to enforce very clean racing. And by enforcing harsh penalties they are somewhat achieving it. For instance we don't have such incidents any more like 20 years ago, when it was usual to see some midfield driver wiping several drivers out at the start of a race.

steveaki13
1st August 2012, 21:14
They ought to give some kind of penalties for engine and gearbox changes if they want to enforce the rule of them lasting for several GP weekends. But we can be open about discussing, which kind of penalty should it be.

About penalizing every racing incident. Well, I remember we had serious discussions about it already in 2008, when Hamilton got a lot of penalties and the most ridiculous one was the incident with Bourdais at Fuji. In 2009 F1 fans were a bit more satisfied as a former driver was added to the panel of stewards.

However, at times we are still getting penalties, which seem like an overreaction. But I think nowadays the governing body wants to enforce very clean racing. And by enforcing harsh penalties they are somewhat achieving it. For instance we don't have such incidents any more like 20 years ago, when it was usual to see some midfield driver wiping several drivers out at the start of a race.

As I said above. I like the idea of point deduction as no team would take one unless absolutely needed. Sometimes now a team will change something for a tiny issue and take a grid drop.

I also think we would then not get situations ruined before the race. Like this year at Monaco, I would have loved to see Schumacher start on pole there.

I agree about the early 90s and before where there was some crazy driving, but also I dont think contact is always wrong. Hard wheel banging can be exciting.

I just hope all the penalties don't take the risk and bravery out of F1. We want close wheel to wheel action and if you are at constant risk of a penalty it may change drivers ideas about making moves.

nik
1st August 2012, 22:09
I just hope all the penalties don't take the risk and bravery out of F1. We want close wheel to wheel action and if you are at constant risk of a penalty it may change drivers ideas about making moves.

Exactly! All the drivers are to scared to do some actual racing, because it might give them a penalty if they touch wheels or whatever. It's ridiculous.

Maldonado was the only guy on Sunday to try and overtake, and he got a penalty. All he did was get some over-steer, he corrected it, but it ment sliding in to Di Resta. Where's the common sence. :rolleyes:

Another favourite is "running off the track to gain an advantage." Well don't put stupid car-park size run offs! Put some gravel there.

The FIAs ideal scenario would be 24 cars on the racing line following each other for 90 minutes.

Nem14
1st August 2012, 22:31
It's gotten so political and PC, it's become ludicrous.

kfzmeister
2nd August 2012, 01:39
In Pastor's case, they are letting him know that they're watching him. They were doing the same when Hamilton's driving and bumping people was getting out of hand. I don't see a problem with that. It's like any sport, refs have to make relatively quick decisions and sometimes they get it wrong and sometimes they get it spot on. I'm certain that the average leans towards the appropriate side pretty strongly. No need to get the panties all bunched up. :)

Hawkmoon
2nd August 2012, 08:00
When asked, many people site the Villeneuve vs Arnoux battle at Dijon in '79 as one of, if not the, greatest duels in F1 history. Both drivers hit each other and cut the occaisional corner and everybody needed a change of shorts afterwards it was so exciting.

If we applied today's rules to that battle both drivers would have been penalised into last week. I know times change but I think they have gone too far and need to dial it back a bit.

MatthewF1
14th August 2012, 14:24
For mechanical penalties like gearbox and engine changes there should be a time penalty enforced after the race. Either 10 or 20 seconds would be fine. For example, Hamilton in Spain this year had to start from the back because the car was not fuelled properly. Let him start from the front and have a proper race. The number of points he loses will depend on how well he races, with the possibility of finishing 20 seconds ahead of everyone else and taking full points.

kfzmeister
14th August 2012, 15:14
For mechanical penalties like gearbox and engine changes there should be a time penalty enforced after the race. Either 10 or 20 seconds would be fine. For example, Hamilton in Spain this year had to start from the back because the car was not fuelled properly. Let him start from the front and have a proper race. The number of points he loses will depend on how well he races, with the possibility of finishing 20 seconds ahead of everyone else and taking full points.

I disagree. Penalties are given for those infractions so that teams do not gain a strategic advantage by purposely replacing engines/ transmissions or under fueling a car to put it on pole.

edv
14th August 2012, 15:48
I read the thread title and thought the OP was raising a glass to toast!
I was wrong.

MatthewF1
14th August 2012, 15:50
I disagree. Penalties are given for those infractions so that teams do not gain a strategic advantage by purposely replacing engines/ transmissions or under fueling a car to put it on pole.Under fueling a car gains about a 10th of a second. Would have to be a brave team to willingly gain a 10th in qualifying at the cost of 20 seconds in the race.

kfzmeister
14th August 2012, 18:35
Under fueling a car gains about a 10th of a second. Would have to be a brave team to willingly gain a 10th in qualifying at the cost of 20 seconds in the race.

Hamilton got away with it in Canada, once. Last time, they put the hammer down on him. I'm sure we won't see that again!
Should we discuss transmissions and engines next?

Garry Walker
14th August 2012, 19:19
That was between Massa and Bourdais, not Hamilton. But I agree the penalty on Bourdais was beyond idiotic, he wasn't even at fault.

However, at times we are still getting penalties, which seem like an overreaction. But I think nowadays the governing body wants to enforce very clean racing. And by enforcing harsh penalties they are somewhat achieving it. For instance we don't have such incidents any more like 20 years ago, when it was usual to see some midfield driver wiping several drivers out at the start of a race.The only reason we don't have such accidents is that we have less incompetent idiots in the field and the average level of racers is far higher. But clean racing is boring. Dogfights are far more interesting, where very little room is given and both guys are at the very limit.

TheFamousEccles
15th August 2012, 14:36
It seems that the break has gone on long enough :o hplease:

nik
16th August 2012, 13:54
I read the thread title and thought the OP was raising a glass to toast!
I was wrong.

Yes....i've just noticed.

Too many!!

Big Ben
16th August 2012, 20:28
Maybe there are too many penalties but perhaps Maldonado is not the best example... he's a very persistent idiot.

A FONDO
18th August 2012, 10:04
When did this trend start in F1 to give out penalties for any little incident.

It all started when HAM appeared on the scene and started crashing everybody, thinking he is still on the simulator with a "Restart" button.

Knock-on
18th August 2012, 21:53
Crashing into everyone? That's Pastor you're thinking of. Btw, the McLaren simulator is pretty good but the Mobil 1 one is much more likely to spit you off ;)

ArrowsFA1
19th August 2012, 07:07
It all started when HAM appeared on the scene...
So, no penalties in F1 prior to 2007. Interesting :dozey:

airshifter
19th August 2012, 19:37
So, no penalties in F1 prior to 2007. Interesting :dozey:

Crazy penalties did not affect WDC standings when Aryton Senna was driving! You heard it on the internet so it must be fact! ;)

ArrowsFA1
20th August 2012, 08:10
Anyone else remember Eddie Irvine and Mika Hakkinen being given bans in 1994 for causing accidents?