PDA

View Full Version : Rd 3 V8 Supercar Preview - Silverstone

Peter Vuko
30th March 2007, 15:25
Well it's time to preview our 1st International track for the year - Silverstone in our beloved "mother country!" A tough track with some tricky corners & bends but I like it! As a part of the practice I would like people to try both Free Set ups & Default Modes on time trial. Post your best times on this thread over the next week. The "pommy drivers "should have an advantage but don't under estimate the boys from Oz!!

I'll start the ball rolling. I took the #1 Supercheap Auto's Commodore for a test( except it was actually the "Fuch's" Commodore because you can't get the Supercheap Holden on V8 Internationals!) Here are my best times so far:

Free Set Up: 1m.20.74..........Default: 1m.22.46

harvick#1
30th March 2007, 16:59
me and this track are not getting along very well :(

my default time was 1m23.92 :s

Alfa Fan
30th March 2007, 17:27
And bringing up the rear with a fastest lap of 1:26.46 on default setup and 1:25.23 on free setup....

I am evil Homer
30th March 2007, 17:51
Default: 1:21.34
Free: 1:19.60

The Falcon's going well so far - the first bend is crucial to carrying speed, as is the last complex to get a good speed up the straight. Feels very odd driving a V8 around and in default set-up it's a bit of a pig.

Free set-up is much better - didn't go for uber soft tyres because they'd be shot in a lap.

Looked @ the Codies site again...1:11 :D :D yeah okay!

Brown, Jon Brow
30th March 2007, 18:22
I havn't unlocked silverstone yet :s
I'm currently at Brands Hatch on the pro-career mode.

Jon Brown is looking forward to racing in England as he will have the home crowd on his side after an impressive podium last time out :D

Alfa Fan
30th March 2007, 18:33
Team Kit-Kat Racing are counting the cost of the repair to Alfa Fan's Ford Falcon after it was spectacularly rolled in todays testing at Silverstone.

On the approach to Maggots, the British V8 Supercar backmarker lost control of his car, spinning though the gravel trap, before the car inverted itself.

Eye witness reports verify that the car rolled a total of three times before coming to rest in the infield.

Despite immediate concern for the welfare of the driver, Team Kit-Kat Racing are pleased to announce that Alfa Fan was uninjured in the crash and plans to compete in this weekends race.

racer69
30th March 2007, 19:40
Is there a cheat to allow you to unlock this part of the game?

Adam Sloma
30th March 2007, 23:02
1:22.18 - default
1:19.75 - free

harvick#1
31st March 2007, 00:00
I ran only a 1m23.53 seconds :s on a free setup

can someone please give me some pointers on a set-up or something

Peter Vuko
31st March 2007, 00:25
Here are the current fastest practice times at Silverstone. Homer & Sloma leading the way:
.............Free Set Up..........Default
1.Homer.. 1m.19.60.*..........1m.21.34
2.A.Sloma 1m.19.75.............1m.21.18*
3.P.Vuko...1m.20.74.............1m.22.46
4.harvick...1m.23.53.............1m.23.92
5.AlfaFan...1m.25.23.............1m.26.46
*Fastest Lap

real_illusions
31st March 2007, 00:45
Just did a few laps on default. The tyres go yellow very quickly round here. The circuit is very fast and the rumble strips in places aren't very forgiving.

1.Homer......1m.19.60.*..........1m.21.34
2.A.Sloma....1m.19.75.............1m.21.18*
3.P.Vuko......1m.20.74.............1m.22.46
4.harvick......1m.23.53.............1m.23.92
5.AlfaFan......1m.25.23.............1m.26.46
6.R_illusions...n/a....................1m.25.35
*Fastest Lap

:)

Adam Sloma
31st March 2007, 00:53
1.Homer......1m.19.60.*..........1m.21.34*
2.A.Sloma....1m.19.75.............1m.22.18
3.P.Vuko......1m.20.74.............1m.22.46
4.harvick......1m.23.53.............1m.23.92
5.AlfaFan......1m.25.23.............1m.26.46
6.R_illusions...n/a....................1m.25.35
*Fastest Lap

tannat
31st March 2007, 00:55
Is there a cheat to allow you to unlock this part of the game?

OOPS! I don't believe I've unlocked it either...

maxu05
31st March 2007, 03:26
Hi all,
After missing round 2 due to sponsorship difficulties (I had to fly to Shanghai at short notice), my team is now loaded onto the 747, and ready to test tomorrow at Silverstone. This will be a new circuit for the team, but we are determined to learn the track asap, and gain some valuable points in the race. See you at the track.

dcr22B
2nd April 2007, 09:58
I've had a small pre-test so far and my times are as follows:

1:24.84 - default
1:22.76 - free

I am evil Homer
2nd April 2007, 10:03
I don't think there's a cheat to just unlock this. Could take a look at gamefaqs.com as they have codes on the site.

johnny shell
2nd April 2007, 14:31
I usually unlock championships via the world tour mode, but the international V8 series isn't on world tour, so I'm having to do the pro career for touring cars. and international V8 is the last championship.

I set the grids to easy and each race to 1 lap, but it still takes a while to work through every track of every championship leading up to it.

here's a tip though - if you have to finish, say, 6th in the championship to move forward, once you get a big enough lead start withdrawing from the races at the start.

I am evil Homer
2nd April 2007, 15:09
Had a few PMs about set-up and this circuit - best advice I can give is dig out the set-up PV posted last season and play around with that. I use that as a basis and then softened the springs slightly, and didn't run as low as normal.

This is because of the curbs in some sections that are pretty tough on tyres if you use hard spring settings....they'll be yellow in just a few laps.

Crucially at Silverstone you have to get the flow right out of the corners because there are some pretty big straights. OBviously with traffic this isn't always possible, but here's a quick guide (can you tell i've been on a track day here :D ):

Turn 1, Copse, should be flat - but don't concern yourself with hitting the inside apex....keep the speed high by lifting the throttle slightly. enter the corner mid track and try and get the car out towards the outside rumble strip.

Same deal with Maggots, foot to the floor omn entry - aim for the rumble strip on the right kink, then as you turn left, change down to 5th gear for Becketts Corner (maybe 4th if you over run :D ).

Chapel 5th gear flat all the way down the Hanger, lift slightly for Stowe - again, don't worry too much about the inside apex - carrying the speed is more important. And don't whatever you do brake for the corner as you'll los a good 15km/h/

Club - 2nd in, 3rd as you start to turn right out of Club and up the straight towards Farm. Farm, 4th, run the curbs inside and out and go to the outside of Abbey.

Bridge - flat in 5th

Priory - 5th aim for the inside curb and just let the car move to the outside in preparation for the tight left into Luffield.

Luffield - I think I was in 3rd, 4th as you exit and power through Woodcote and across the line.

johnny shell
2nd April 2007, 16:03
here's peter's set-up advice from last year. I had a few spare moments at work so my employer graciously let me spend a few minutes searching through the forums :D

The setting up of the car is quite simple. I virtually have the same suspension/anti-roll/camber settings for my DTM ,V8 & GT cars. Basically, I use 100% HARD settings for rear/front for both anti-roll & suspension.I also normally lower the ride height to zero. I like my cars nice & firm -just like my women!! Anyway.. I use + .5 for Toe rear/front, -2.5 camber for front & -.5 for the rear. The things that need a lot of thought are the Downforce,Transmission gearing, Brake bias & tyre choice.The gearing is most important!!! My method is to take the car around on default settings for 1-2 laps. Observe where your highest speed area is, then look at the revs you are doing in that top gear(normally 6th gear)then go back & adjust your top gear(6th)back until you are virtually red-lining at your braking point at that high speed point.You then go back & adjust the other gears so that they compliment the top gear change & the track. The result is a sometimes dramatic increase in acceleration. I always start with high downforce in the front & medium on the rear. I then gradually lessen the downforce on the front until I feel the car not behaving - in general my downforce is medium front & Low at the rear. In the GT's you can only adjust the rear. Initially in the Corvette I used High(150%) & did low 1m.22's at Silverstone but I ended up using Medium(100%) for the 1m.21.9 & the re-run of the race.At this stage the track will dictate downforce but I don't think the Corvette likes it too low.Brake- biasis a difficult one - on the DTM's & V8's I like to put the brakes to the rear - Sometimes 60/40 , 70/30 & even on some tracks 85/15. On the GT 's at the moment I'm running 60/40 or 55/45. For tyres I use Soft for Qualifying but at Silverstone with 10 laps & a pit stop I used 20% hard & found them just starting to go off on the 5th lap. Its a good idea to practice on your race tyre & qualify using the softest tyre. Well thats all my secrets out - except you have to find the best lines around the track - keep an eye out on your exit speed on vital corners - it makes all the difference!!! I hope you get something out of this - the closer the racing the better the series will be!! Cheers.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd April 2007, 19:22
Surprised to read that Vuko used quite a bit of downforce. I usually use zero downforce.

harvick#1
2nd April 2007, 19:28
I'm gonna try the set-up after work :)

johnny shell
4th April 2007, 15:02
I tell ya, I've been doing a lot better lately running nothing like that set-up.

I think you gotta be pretty good to run a set up that stiff.

if, like me, you aren't as good as him I think you're a lot better off running something MUCH softer.

dcr22B
4th April 2007, 16:19
I've always ran a very stiff set-up but I think my downfall has been the fact that I've taken a lot of downforce off in the stupid notion that it would limit drag.

Looking forward to trying this set-up and hopefully it'll make the difference for me.

dcr22B
5th April 2007, 09:49
Did another test last night utilising some aspects of Peter's set-up and have reduced my free time to 1m 22.25s

Still know where there is time to be found though so hoepfully I can keep at it.

johnny shell
5th April 2007, 14:36
so you don't think taking downforce off these cars helps your top speed?

sometimes I wonder about the physics in Sim mode! the changes don't seem to do much sometimes.

I haven't even been able to start practicing yet - haven't unlocked it. I'm close though.

but it's not a good feeling to be getting a late start! plus I'm going to be out of town for 5 days next week!

dcr22B
5th April 2007, 14:49
I think your speed can be better dictated by your gearing to be honest and I've found the car more stable through the left-right-left-right through Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel onto Hangar Straight since I worked a bit on the camber and monstered the kerbs a wee bit more through the 3rd part of the complex.

Thus far, my main problems are getting the lines right through Club and Abbey without scrubbing too much speed.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th April 2007, 15:14
I'm on the final race of the season trying to unlock this. I lead the standings by 4 points going into the finale at Laguna Seca. It will all be decided in 3laps and I need to win the championship to unlock it :eek:

Brown, Jon Brow
5th April 2007, 23:51
I finally got to the track and testing hasn't been superb. :s

Default - 1:23:45
Free - 1:21:54

I need to follow some of Homers track advice because I have been braking for Stowe. It looks tighter than it is. I think that I can get into the 1:20's but i'll forget about 1:19's :bigcry: