PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton close to signing new contract (If he gets to keep his trophies?)

Zico
31st July 2012, 16:04
Incredible... I wasn't aware that McLaren driver contracts specified that they (McLaren) got to keep the drivers race trophies, while the drivers got mere copies. Whats that all about?

"The Hungarian Grand Prix winner is expected to resolve his future over the summer break, with it now appearing almost certain that he will remain at the Woking-based team.

But speaking in the wake of his latest triumph, he has revealed that a 'push point' in the talks with be about trophies, with McLaren having historically always kept its drivers' winning silverware.

"Ron [Dennis] and the team have all the trophies in the cabinet and the drivers get replicas," Hamilton told the British media.

"In a lot of other teams, the drivers get their original trophies. As a racing driver, what you work for and what you want to take home are two things; one is your crash helmet and the other is your trophy. For me, they are priceless.

"I don't care if they don't give me a car [to keep], but those two things are what you put your blood and sweat into, and the team keep those at the moment. So whatever contract I'm having next, that is going to be a push point.

"I don't feel I have a tough decision to make. It is my career I'm talking about however - the last part of my [professional] life. It's the first time I've been in this position, so I guess it still remains an important decision."

McLaren has been aware of Hamilton's demands over the trophies for several weeks, and team principal Martin Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he was confident the matter would not get blown out of proportion.

"I've known Lewis a long time and I think we have a very good understanding on one another," he said. "I think there is a lot of mutual trust and respect - I hope and believe both ways. So I don't see that [the trophies] as a big issue. We will see."

Hamilton's unusual contract request - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/hamiltons-unusual-contract-request-104933124.html)

I think he has a point, dont you?

The Black Knight
31st July 2012, 16:08
Incredible... I wasn't aware that McLaren driver contracts specified that they (McLaren) got to keep the drivers race trophies, while the drivers got mere copies. Whats that all about?

"The Hungarian Grand Prix winner is expected to resolve his future over the summer break, with it now appearing almost certain that he will remain at the Woking-based team.

But speaking in the wake of his latest triumph, he has revealed that a 'push point' in the talks with be about trophies, with McLaren having historically always kept its drivers' winning silverware.

"Ron [Dennis] and the team have all the trophies in the cabinet and the drivers get replicas," Hamilton told the British media.

"In a lot of other teams, the drivers get their original trophies. As a racing driver, what you work for and what you want to take home are two things; one is your crash helmet and the other is your trophy. For me, they are priceless.

"I don't care if they don't give me a car [to keep], but those two things are what you put your blood and sweat into, and the team keep those at the moment. So whatever contract I'm having next, that is going to be a push point.

"I don't feel I have a tough decision to make. It is my career I'm talking about however - the last part of my [professional] life. It's the first time I've been in this position, so I guess it still remains an important decision."

McLaren has been aware of Hamilton's demands over the trophies for several weeks, and team principal Martin Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he was confident the matter would not get blown out of proportion.

"I've known Lewis a long time and I think we have a very good understanding on one another," he said. "I think there is a lot of mutual trust and respect - I hope and believe both ways. So I don't see that [the trophies] as a big issue. We will see."

Hamilton's unusual contract request - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/hamiltons-unusual-contract-request-104933124.html)

I think he has a point, dont you?

It has always been that way at McLaren. I remember Mika Hakkinen wanting to keep his as well and McLaren said that if he didn't like the situation that he could leave the team. I can't imagine McLaren changing this for Hamilton to be honest. They never did it for any other driver, so I don't see why they should do it for him.

ArrowsFA1
31st July 2012, 16:23
I've always thought it tough on McLaren drivers that they don't get to keep their trophies, but it's in the contract they sign so they can't really have any argument.

I do recall one driver (DC I think) saying he'd kept the original trophy from a race win but had convinced Ron that McLaren had the original not a replica :p

Zico
31st July 2012, 17:19
I cant believe I'd never heard of that before. I wonder what the reasoning behind such an unfair clause might be... because they can?

Bagwan
31st July 2012, 18:42
There is no "I" in trophy .
And , there is no "I" in McLaren , either .

Wahhhhh .

kfzmeister
31st July 2012, 20:07
There is no "I" in trophy .
And , there is no "I" in McLaren , either .

Wahhhhh .

Apparently, there's an "I" in Ali G. :D

Mark
31st July 2012, 20:57
I can't see McLaren changing their traditions now.

The Black Knight
31st July 2012, 20:58
Apparently, there's an "I" in Ali G. :D

Apparently, there's an "I" in Trophies - plural, which is what Lewis wants to keep - his TROPHIES!

gloomyDAY
31st July 2012, 21:46
I can't see McLaren changing their traditions now.I never knew about this "tradition". This is pretty stupid and I feel bad for McLaren's drivers. Maybe if McLaren change this policy it won't take another decade to win another WDC.

steveaki13
31st July 2012, 23:14
I think it was Brundle who said he has the original second place throphy after his nice drive in the 1994 Monaco GP.

I think he still has it and Mclaren have a copy.

tfp
31st July 2012, 23:53
It isnt just the driver that won the race, its the team that produce the equiptment capable of winning the race....

I am evil Homer
1st August 2012, 09:05
Yes they do....but the team also gets a trophy for being the winning constructor. At the moment McLaren is keeping 2 trophies per race win.

TBH I think Hamilton is more than within his rights to say "i'll have the original, you have the copy in your trophy cabinet".

ShiftingGears
1st August 2012, 11:28
I can't see McLaren changing their traditions now.

Perhaps not while Ron Dennis is around.

Hawkmoon
1st August 2012, 12:03
Only McLaren would come up with a policy like that. Or perhaps I should say only Ron Dennis would come up with a policy like that. Never has there been a more anally retentive figure in the history of sport.

ArrowsFA1
1st August 2012, 13:17
Never has there been a more anally retentive figure in the history of sport.
Very successful though :D

Hawkmoon
1st August 2012, 14:00
Jean Todt gave him a run for his money but Dennis wins it.

Todt wasn't even close. Todt would stop at nothing to win, sure enough, but I never got the impression that he cared whether his drivers grew a beard or got tattoos. Dennis on the other hand would have blown a valve if his drivers tried it on. Just ask Kimi and DC.

Very successful though :D

True enough. There's no denying the man knew how to run an F1 team and I respective him for it but you gotta admit, he was a bit of a w_nker. :)

Knock-on
2nd August 2012, 13:31
Calling Ron anally retentive is not exactly an insult; more of a compliment.

This man has been a figurehead, an inspiration and a mantra for McLaren since he joined the team in 1980. His singleminded detirmination, workaholic approach and desire for perfection is legendary and has helped galvanise McLaren to be the globally envied outfit it is today.

Walking around the MTC you can see that strive for perfection in every facet whether it's in the presentation of the historic and current cars, the trophy lined corridors, the assembly of the new road cars or the preperation of the F1 cars. McLaren is a large corporation but more than just about any other organisation, is associated, identified with and inspired by one man.

Yep, if that anal, then I think that's a compliment.

As for the trophy issue, then that's something between McLaren and Lewis but personally, I love the fact that the real ones are held at Woking. I was lucky enough to get my mits on the 88 Hungrian GP drivers and constructors trophy a few years back and just holding and moving them scared me sh&tless because I know this was the real thing. However, I can also see Lewis's point of view. He won the drivers trophy and it's therefore his.

This wont be a big sticking point no matter how people want to blow it up. Lewis will re-sign with McLaren. He was never going anywhere else and long may it continue.

F1boat
2nd August 2012, 14:30
For me the situation is very funny, two big kids (Ron and Lewis) want to keep their toys at all cost. It will be funny if their successful partnership ends because of that silly argument. :D

The Black Knight
2nd August 2012, 14:35
Well, the way I see it there is the constructors and drivers trophies. The team should keep the constructors and the driver the teams. It's a team effort and that's why the constructors trophy is there but the driver is the key and they put their lives and everything on the line for both themselves and the team. They deserve to keep the drivers trophy at the end of the day. That's what it is there for.

kfzmeister
2nd August 2012, 14:36
I would love to see McLaren not budge and neither Lewis. That would leave Lewis without a drive. Then where would he go?

kfzmeister
2nd August 2012, 14:41
Well, the way I see it there is the constructors and drivers trophies. The team should keep the constructors and the driver the teams. It's a team effort and that's why the constructors trophy is there but the driver is the key and they put their lives and everything on the line for both themselves and the team. They deserve to keep the drivers trophy at the end of the day. That's what it is there for.

Would the drivers then have two different statements during the press conference? One could be where they thank the guys/boys/team and the other where they could just be all selfish and say "Yeah boiiiii, i got my trohpy. I drove a great race and kicked some arse today, slicing and dicing my way to the front, like i knew i could. The tires were going off, but i man handled them and it was like driving on ice, but i did it anyway"!
Yeah, that would be a great day. :)

truefan72
2nd August 2012, 15:47
Only McLaren would come up with a policy like that. Or perhaps I should say only Ron Dennis would come up with a policy like that. Never has there been a more anally retentive figure in the history of sport.

sigh...agreed

truefan72
2nd August 2012, 15:50
I would love to see McLaren not budge and neither Lewis. That would leave Lewis without a drive. Then where would he go?

your obvious distaste for Hamilton is rather tiresome.

The Black Knight
2nd August 2012, 17:06

Probably Massa's seat in Ferrari most likely. I'm sure they would jump at the chance and Domenicalli didn't rule out talks with Hamilton either and both Hamilton and Alonso have said they wouldn't mind working with each other again.

Would the drivers then have two different statements during the press conference? One could be where they thank the guys/boys/team and the other where they could just be all selfish and say "Yeah boiiiii, i got my trohpy. I drove a great race and kicked some arse today, slicing and dicing my way to the front, like i knew i could. The tires were going off, but i man handled them and it was like driving on ice, but i did it anyway"!
Yeah, that would be a great day.

Reductio ad absurdum

kfzmeister
2nd August 2012, 17:34
your obvious distaste for Hamilton is rather tiresome.

Sorry, i can just see his small brain causing him a loss of a seat at Macca. Don't take it personal. :D

kfzmeister
2nd August 2012, 17:37
I hope he sticks it out and wins a few more championships with McLaren

I would love to see a Ferrari and a McLaren fairly evenly matched in performance and Lewis and Alonso have a go. :D

Bagwan
2nd August 2012, 17:41
The team pays this man a ghastly amount of money to drive for them .
If this man wishes to keep getting the paycheque , he should sign , trophy or no trophy .

Obviously , this is a sticking point for many , and so it has become the norm for the team to go so far as to have replicas made , to satisfy the hunger for these dustable items .

Knock-on
3rd August 2012, 11:49
Probably Massa's seat in Ferrari most likely. I'm sure they would jump at the chance and Domenicalli didn't rule out talks with Hamilton either and both Hamilton and Alonso have said they wouldn't mind working with each other again.

Please don't even joke. Lewis in a Ferrari would break my heart.

I pray Lewis stays with McLaren all his career but if he decides to move, I would prefer it's to HRT than Ferrari. Uhhhh!!!! Makes my skin crawl.

Bagwan
3rd August 2012, 13:35
Why only ask for his future trophies ?
Why not ask the team for all his previous winning trophies ?

zako85
4th August 2012, 07:59
Haha.. I didn't know about the trophies.. I always wondered what happens with the trophies that drivers received.

I can imagine the frustration of Hamilton. Imagine how athletes would feel if their gym demanded the Olympic medals (I am almost sure this happens in some parts of the world)

Bagwan
4th August 2012, 16:07
Rumoured details of the contract have recently become available(when I thought them up) .
If Hamilton wins the title , he will be offered the chance at getting all of his trophies for the year .

Should he win , he will be lined up at the distance away from his trophies , one at a time , alongside exact replicas . This distance will be equal to his average starting position for the year away from the start/finish line , averaged over all the tracks raced .
Lewis must then decide which trophy is the real one , and then , if he can manage to hit it with the supplied rifle , gets to take it home .
Still to be worked out is the exact calibre , and whether he gets to use a scope or not .

Tazio
4th August 2012, 18:04
It was revealed a couple of weeks ago in a BBC article that although Alonso is full of praise for Hamilton and says he would have no problem with him as a teammate in the future, he does have a veto in his current contract preventing him as a teammate. Highly confusing I think you'll agree but I doubt even Luca would rock the boat that much and have a potential disaster on his hands. I know Luca pushed Schumacher out of Ferrari, but Alonso is delivering results and personally I don't think having Lewis would be constructive for the team. I don't support any particular team and have always been a drivers man, but I would struggle to cheer on a Ferrari. It would be painful to see Lewis in Scuderia overalls and he's already driving for what I feel is the greatest team in the sports history right now. I hope he sticks it out and wins a few more championships with McLaren, or in a dream scenario, a Williams. :D Have you seen Fred's Contract?

kfzmeister
4th August 2012, 19:20
Have you seen Fred's Contract?

Does this even matter? I mean seriously. We've seen what Alonso is capable of doing with a sub-par car. We've seen what he can do with a team this year. He's clearly the best there is. Why on God's earth would anyone even consider pairing him up with Ali? They clearly are after a number two driver. Alonso will bring home the bacon. Forget this nonsense about Hamilton coming to Ferrari. Ever! Same with Seb. I don't care what anyone says. It is just good for F1 publicity to continuously stir the pot. Alonso has a long term contract and it just makes no sense.

SGWilko
4th August 2012, 20:04
Reductio ad absurdum

Romano et Domum.... ;)

Tazio
4th August 2012, 21:01
Does this even matter? I mean seriously. We've seen what Alonso is capable of doing with a sub-par car. We've seen what he can do with a team this year. He's clearly the best there is. Why on God's earth would anyone even consider pairing him up with Ali? They clearly are after a number two driver. Alonso will bring home the bacon. Forget this nonsense about Hamilton coming to Ferrari. Ever! Same with Seb. I don't care what anyone says. It is just good for F1 publicity to continuously stir the pot. Alonso has a long term contract and it just makes no sense.The team wants the WCC and having the two best pilots would be helpful. Now that they are both more mature I think they would get on just fine. Plus Hamilton will probably be a lot more relaxed at a team that isn't so proper. I dig "The Boss" regardless of who he drives for, and you are right that it doesn't matter if Fred has the clause in his contract or not because he will not exercise it if Ferrari want LH badly enough.

Zico
4th August 2012, 23:13
Teams are well aware of the unrest having two number one drivers paired together can cause and within reason would avoid it.

Alonso Veto contract clause or not, I just cant see Ferrari wanting Hamilton or Vettel beside Alonso... and if they have any sense they shouldn't go even if Ferrai did. I can see Perez or maybe even Di Resta replacing Massa and that should probably strengthen them sufficiently to have a stab at the constructors championship if next years car is strong.

Whether he gets is trophies or not I think Hamilton will be staying at McLaren... he simply doesn't really have anywhere to go as far as top tier teams are concerned.

Tazio
4th August 2012, 23:29
Teams are well aware of the unrest having two number one drivers paired together can cause and within reason would avoid it.

Alonso Veto contract clause or not, I just cant see Ferrari wanting Hamilton or Vettel beside Alonso... and if they have any sense they shouldn't go even if Ferrai did. I can see Perez or maybe even Di Resta replacing Massa and that should probably strengthen them sufficiently to have a stab at the constructors championship if next years car is strong.

Whether he gets is trophies or not I think Hamilton will be staying at McLaren... he simply doesn't really have anywhere to go as far as top tier teams are concerned.

Except Ferrari!...Viva Mexico!!

ShiftingGears
5th August 2012, 05:53

That would be quite something.

Zico
5th August 2012, 09:01

No chance!... If Lewis moves to Ferrari for next season I'll run a mile up the huge hill opposite my home in the buff! :p

F1boat
5th August 2012, 11:26
Lewis won't go to Ferrari, until Alonso is there. Don't kid yourselves.

F1boat
5th August 2012, 11:30
I think that he waits for Schumacher's move... if the German retires he may try his luck with Mercedes, but honestly I think that he will stay with McLaren.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 15:00
I don't think anybody here seriously thinks he will.
;)

Tazio
5th August 2012, 15:18
Apart from you of course :p I think he will eventually drive for Ferrari. Although I really don't think that he will for 2013, I don't think the reasons I've heard here preclude it however.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 16:44
Hopefully 'if' he drives for Ferrari all his great years will be over. I couldn't imagine cheering for a Ferrari even if I don't support any particular team.Well that's the most pompous statement I've read in some time. ;)
I don't think you get it: Ferrari would have no interest in LH after
all his great years will be over"

kfzmeister
5th August 2012, 19:33
Well that's the most pompous statement I've read in some time. ;)
I don't think you get it: Ferrari would have no interest in LH after.....all his great years will be over

That pretty much seals his never going there, doesn't it? :laugh:

Tazio
5th August 2012, 20:34
:s ailor: snap ;)

I'll just grab my coat and.....

Garry Walker
7th August 2012, 20:21
It has always been that way at McLaren. I remember Mika Hakkinen wanting to keep his as well and McLaren said that if he didn't like the situation that he could leave the team. I can't imagine McLaren changing this for Hamilton to be honest. They never did it for any other driver, so I don't see why they should do it for him. Yeah, they didn't change it for people like Senna or Prost, why would they change it for someone like Hamilton?

I cant believe I'd never heard of that before. I wonder what the reasoning behind such an unfair clause might be... because they can?
Unfair? What is unfair about it? They pay insane amounts of money to the driver, they provide him with a top level car, what more can he ask for.

I never knew about this "tradition". This is pretty stupid and I feel bad for McLaren's drivers. Maybe if McLaren change this policy it won't take another decade to win another WDC.
If I was a teamboss I would enforce the same rule. But yeah, sure, if they change that policy, the titles will just start coming in. LOL.

It is clearly one of the most clever ideas Ron has had.

Zico
7th August 2012, 20:50
They pay insane amounts of money to the driver, they provide him with a top level car, what more can he ask for.

To be allowed to keep his own trophies? :p

Mark
7th August 2012, 20:51
No chance!... If Lewis moves to Ferrari for next season I'll run a mile up the huge hill opposite my home in the buff! :p

We'll hold you to that!

Mark
7th August 2012, 20:53
To be allowed to keep his own trophies? :p

It's not like this is a new development at McLaren. And it was Lewis' personal choice to go and drive for that team.

Zico
7th August 2012, 20:57
It's not like this is a new development at McLaren. And it was Lewis' personal choice to go and drive for that team.

Yep, I do actually agree. Having not heard about it before I was just a bit shocked that they even had this 'tradition'.

Hawkmoon
8th August 2012, 13:56
It is clearly one of the most clever ideas Ron has had.

I'm not so sure it's been that clever. McLaren have won 3 WDC in 20 years. Keeping the driver's trophies doesn't seem to have helped that much. :)

Ranger
8th August 2012, 14:50
Yep, I do actually agree. Having not heard about it before I was just a bit shocked that they even had this 'tradition'.

Red Bull also do it... as they are entitled to do, because they build the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXlRZfmvOZM&feature=player_embedded

If Senna and Prost didn't get to keep their original trophies then I'm as sure as hell that Lewis shouldn't.

Zico
8th August 2012, 16:30
Red Bull also do it... as they are entitled to do, because they build the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXlRZfmvOZM&feature=player_embedded

If Senna and Prost didn't get to keep their original trophies then I'm as sure as hell that Lewis shouldn't.

Are these the drivers originals though? Maybe I missed it...
With most teams the drivers trophy is awarded to and belongs to the driver. The constructors win their own trophies and thats the way it should be. I can see some value in keeping the trophy cabinets full at the team factories but does it have to be the drivers original ? I think thats a bit unnecessary and twisted.

On the other hand... Yep, if Senna and Prost didn't get theirs then why should Lewis expect anything different When its written in to contracts and the driver has accepted the situation then fair enough but you use the word "entitled"?... only legally Imo.

Bagwan
8th August 2012, 16:47
The problem here is obviously that , during the trophy ceremony , they put them down and spray the champagne .
It's then that the team steals it away and locks it in the glass cabinet , out of reach .

Lewis should be all for Bernie's medals idea , because it would hang around his neck , making it harder for evil Ron's henchmen to grab it .

If he likes trophies , though , I guess the only way to do it would be to slip it into his Pussy-cat dolls backpack he could put on in the ready room .

Tazio
8th August 2012, 17:05
No chance!... If Lewis moves to Ferrari for next season I'll run a mile up the huge hill opposite my home in the buff!Bookmarked! :)

Tazio
8th August 2012, 17:19
Lewis should be all for Bernie's medals idea , because it would hang around his neck , making it harder for evil Ron's henchmen to grab it .

Not sure I would want Beelzeboss to receive medals; he may hang someone like Igornado by the neck (until dead) with one of them. :)

Ranger
13th August 2012, 06:14
Are these the drivers originals though? Maybe I missed it...

They are originals. At 2:54 you can see the 2010 Monaco trophy that was damaged (http://www.f1-gp.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/monaco-grand-prix-2010-webber.jpg) on the ceiling of the rostrum.

With most teams the drivers trophy is awarded to and belongs to the driver. The constructors win their own trophies and thats the way it should be. I can see some value in keeping the trophy cabinets full at the team factories but does it have to be the drivers original ? I think thats a bit unnecessary and twisted.

Unnecessary and twisted?

Top teams spend at least $200 million+ per year and employ 300+ people building a car they hope will simply compete for victory.

Of those 300+ employees, two are paid a combined salary of $15-$40 million per year by the team, in addition to sponsorship they earn elsewhere.

It is the team's prerogative to keep the driver's trophies if they want. It isn't like the team don't pay for the replica trophies to be made for the drivers either.

On the other hand... Yep, if Senna and Prost didn't get theirs then why should Lewis expect anything different When its written in to contracts and the driver has accepted the situation then fair enough but you use the word "entitled"?... only legally Imo.

Ninety percent of the time, a superior driver can't win in an half-decent F1 car, but a half-decent driver can win in a superior F1 car.

That's the weighting behind my opinion anyway.

Garry Walker
13th August 2012, 18:14
It has always been that way at McLaren. I remember Mika Hakkinen wanting to keep his as well and McLaren said that if he didn't like the situation that he could leave the team. I can't imagine McLaren changing this for Hamilton to be honest. They never did it for any other driver, so I don't see why they should do it for him.

I never knew about this "tradition". This is pretty stupid and I feel bad for McLaren's drivers. Maybe if McLaren change this policy it won't take another decade to win another WDC.

They are originals. At 2:54 you can see the 2010 Monaco trophy that was damaged (http://www.f1-gp.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/monaco-grand-prix-2010-webber.jpg) on the ceiling of the rostrum.

Unnecessary and twisted?

Top teams spend at least $200 million+ per year and employ 300+ people building a car they hope will simply compete for victory.

Of those 300+ employees, two are paid a combined salary of $15-$40 million per year by the team, in addition to sponsorship they earn elsewhere.

It is the team's prerogative to keep the driver's trophies if they want. It isn't like the team don't pay for the replica trophies to be made for the drivers either.

Ninety percent of the time, a superior driver can't win in an half-decent F1 car, but a half-decent driver can win in a superior F1 car.

That's the weighting behind my opinion anyway.

Great post.

kfzmeister
13th August 2012, 18:15

Damn! Immediately, two drivers come to mind! :D

J4MIE
18th August 2012, 23:46
It's not as if the Santander trophies are worth winning anyway.....,

steveaki13
24th August 2012, 07:36
No the Santander throphies are all identical and bland as ****, who'd want more than one.

Malbec
27th August 2012, 21:36
Lewis is running out of cards to play and McLaren's hand is only getting stronger.

The only threat he can use is that he'll walk to another team if McLaren doesn't give him what he wants. RBR is fully booked up for next year and noone is going to believe he's going to end up at Ferrari alongside Alonso with their history, if Fernando even decides not to veto that move. Where else is anywhere near as good as McLaren over the long term? Or is he going to threaten them with a sabbatical? Good luck to him if he does.

Time to sign Lewis or torpedo your own career if you don't.

Koz
28th August 2012, 06:08
Lewis is running out of cards to play and McLaren's hand is only getting stronger.

The only threat he can use is that he'll walk to another team if McLaren doesn't give him what he wants. RBR is fully booked up for next year and noone is going to believe he's going to end up at Ferrari alongside Alonso with their history, if Fernando even decides not to veto that move. Where else is anywhere near as good as McLaren over the long term? Or is he going to threaten them with a sabbatical? Good luck to him if he does.

Perhaps to Lotus, with Kimi coming to Mclaren?

The Black Knight
28th August 2012, 10:21

This post is all over the place. Threaten a sabbatical? Let us live in the real world for a minute.

Lewis has a few options open to him:

1) No one knows what will happen with MS in Mercedes yet

2) Alonso and Hamilton get on very well and are friends, despite what the press might try to tell you, and should Massa leave it is very possible he will move. I'd love to seem them as teammates again. I'm also unconvinced that Alonso has a veto clause in his contract. I have never seen any confirmed reports of this and it seems to be nothing other than rumor and conjecture. If you were Ferrari, whom would you choose, Massa or Hamilton? No contest - Hamilton wins every time.

Even if Alonso has a veto, it may not be a good idea for him to use it for his own position within the team. If Ferrari want someone, they'll get him.

3) Long term wise, it has been about 13 years since McLaren won a constructors championship. Unless they can turn that around very quickly I think Hamilton needs to move on. There is no point in being the nearly men year after year after year. That doesn't win you championships.

4) He has the option of trying for a shorter term contract, such as one year and see what options are open to him in 2013.

5) There is the possibility, although slim, that he could move to Lotus. Their line up isn't confirmed either.

So his options don't look too bleak to me really.

Knock-on
28th August 2012, 11:49
Saying that, he'll still be at McLaren ;)

Malbec
28th August 2012, 20:02
1) No one knows what will happen with MS in Mercedes yet

Sure he could go to Mercedes and its unlikely he'll ever win a championship again. Mercedes is not a top team. McLaren, Ferrari and RBR are.

If you were Ferrari, whom would you choose, Massa or Hamilton? No contest - Hamilton wins every time.

I'd choose someone else completely. PdR, Perez, Kobayashi, Webber (yes I know he's signed up already). maybe Hulkenberg. Someone quick who has no history of having serious problems with Alonso. Its too much to risk and I think Ferrari are happy with having one very fast driver and one slightly slower one (Though Massa is taking the mickey a bit in this respect). Also Hamilton is likely to be asking for a lot more than Massa is, where would the money come from?

3) Long term wise, it has been about 13 years since McLaren won a constructors championship. Unless they can turn that around very quickly I think Hamilton needs to move on. There is no point in being the nearly men year after year after year. That doesn't win you championships.

Through those 13 years McLaren have nearly always been in the championship hunt and I may be mistaken but Hamilton won a championship himself with them no? No other team has been anywhere near as consistent in being at the front, not even Ferrari.

4) He has the option of trying for a shorter term contract, such as one year and see what options are open to him in 2013.

Very true.

5) There is the possibility, although slim, that he could move to Lotus. Their line up isn't confirmed either.

Why would he? Like Mercedes Lotus simply hasn't delivered enough championship challenges through their recent history to suggest they'd be as good a place to be as McLaren. Their funding is shaky, less stable than any of the other frontrunning teams. The only reason he'd go there is if he knew he could move on to RBR a year later.

Malbec
28th August 2012, 20:02
Saying that, he'll still be at McLaren ;)

Yep, they're just quibbling over the details...