PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Bradley Wiggins

Mark
22nd July 2012, 16:28
First ever British winner of the Tour de France!!

And Mark Cavendish four straight wins in Paris!

N4D13
22nd July 2012, 16:50
Congratulations. Perhaps not the most likeable rider, but certainly a great one, and poised for success. Even though Froome has been stronger sometimes, I'd say Wiggins has been the best rider on this TdF and he's earned a well-deserved win.

janneppi
22nd July 2012, 19:40
I watched some stages this year before my vacation, it was good fun. got hope, opened the Eurosport stream, ate a bit then fell as sleep for 30 minutes as nothing happened. Then woke up for the last 40km to watch small group get chased down and some sprinters pulled to the lead.
At least the commentary had some good pieces about history of some of the towns. :)

Mark
23rd July 2012, 14:16
A truly stunning achievement and well done to Bradley. Better than Olympic gold no doubt. :)

Olympic gold may get well publicised, but certainly in the cycling world winning the Tour de France is the pinnacle, it doesn't get any better than that - except for perhaps winning it several times!

big_sw2000
23rd July 2012, 15:58
A truly stunning achievement and well done to Bradley. Better than Olympic gold no doubt. :)

He almost certain of the road time trial Olympic gold as well.
And Cav the Road race gold.

Steve

GridGirl
23rd July 2012, 19:10
I wouldn't say that Wiggins is almost certain of time trial gold. Tony Martin the current time trial world champion had a puncture in the first time trial of the Tour de France hich hampered his ability to challenge Wiggins on that stage. Then again, Tony Martin also broke his wrist on the first day of the tour also but still he will have a good month of recovery time.

Cav isn't certain of the road race either. The entire team need to drag him road to just give him a chance. If they get him there he could do well but he has been beaten on numerous sprints this year.

Tazio
23rd July 2012, 19:36
Well Done :beer:

big_sw2000
23rd July 2012, 21:01
I wouldn't say that Wiggins is almost certain of time trial gold. Tony Martin the current time trial world champion had a puncture in the first time trial of the Tour de France hich hampered his ability to challenge Wiggins on that stage. Then again, Tony Martin also broke his wrist on the first day of the tour also but still he will have a good month of recovery time.

Cav isn't certain of the road race either. The entire team need to drag him road to just give him a chance. If they get him there he could do well but he has been beaten on numerous sprints this year.

I just cant see Tony Martin being fast enough to get Wiggins, i know hes world champion, but i dont think he will. Well atleast hope not any way.
And as long as team GB get Cav up and over box hill twice. And they catch the break away, no one and i mean no one will beat Cav in the Olympic sprint.

Steve

GridGirl
24th July 2012, 07:19
Don't get me wrong as I'd love to see Wiggins and Cav take Olympic glory but as a keen cycling fan I'm just a bit bored of people who only watch the Tour de France each year hanging medals around their necks already. Some of the reporting on the Tour in national newspapers and on mainstream news reports has been appallingly inaccurate over the last few days.

P.S Team GB have to drag Cav round Box Hill more than twice. ;)

GridGirl
24th July 2012, 09:09
I had a picnic up Boxhill on Saturday and the security is already in place. They have a massive Olympic structure and getting about is difficult. It's always a popular place for cyclists for most of the year and rather them than me lol. :)

We are going to try and cycle as much of Box Hill as possible on Friday. They are closing the zig zag section tomorrow though so we cant do the full loop. Grrr :(

big_sw2000
24th July 2012, 09:43
Don't get me wrong as I'd love to see Wiggins and Cav take Olympic glory but as a keen cycling fan I'm just a bit bored of people who only watch the Tour de France each year hanging medals around their necks already. Some of the reporting on the Tour in national newspapers and on mainstream news reports has been appallingly inaccurate over the last few days.

P.S Team GB have to drag Cav round Box Hill more than twice. ;)

Sorry i dont know why i said twice, when its nine times. Blame being tired. And i could not find the edit button.
Im not just someone who has jumped on the Tour de France band wagon. I ve followd cycling for years, weather track or road.
I know what you mean about the reporting, from the press. It the people who expect to see wiggins win the road race that get me, it could happen, but i doubt it.
Maybe im being over coffident, but i cant see Wiggins getting beat on the TT. In fact i would say hes more of a certainty than Cav on the road race.
What ever happens, the Olypics will be big for British cycling. Dont think Emma Pooley and Lizzie Armitstead will be far away either. And secretly ill be cheering on Nicole Cooke.

Steve

Mark
24th July 2012, 10:57
History has a habit of causing upsets at Olympics in all sorts of sports an athlete dominates in the run up, then ends up coming out with Bronze at the games.

Mark
1st August 2012, 16:12
And he tops it all of with a gold medal :D

big_sw2000
1st August 2012, 20:39
FANTASTIC.

All hail Sir Wiggins

Steve