DexDexter
22nd July 2012, 14:43
Ki....no Alonso of course!

rjbetty
22nd July 2012, 14:44
Alonso today

N4D13
22nd July 2012, 14:53
What about the donkey? I couldn't single out anyone today, although Seb might be a candidate if that overtake on Button cost him a 25-second penalty. It's not a nice way to throw a podium away, even though it doesn't beat Maldonado.

Tazio
22nd July 2012, 14:53
Hail Caesar
http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20061029elpepudep_3/XLCO/Ies/Fernando_Alonso_recibe_calor_Oviedo.jpg

DexDexter
22nd July 2012, 14:55
What about the donkey? I couldn't single out anyone today, although Seb might be a candidate if that overtake on Button cost him a 25-second penalty. It's not a nice way to throw a podium away, even though it doesn't beat Maldonado.

Grosjean is the clear donkey. Made contact once again with somebody, finished a lap down out of the points while Kimi was 4th. A good driver, but too crash-prone at the moment.

Koz
22nd July 2012, 14:56
Niki Lauda

Honourable mentions to: Alonso, Jenson, Button, Kimi, Rosberg. In that order.

steveaki13
22nd July 2012, 14:58
Driver of the race: Alonso - By a mile. No mistakes. Faultless and we will never know how fast he could have gone.

Other Mentions:

Button - Fine drive 6th to 2nd really. Despite finishing 3rd.
Raikkonen- Fine drive 10th to 4th.
Kobayashi- Done a good job for more points.
Perez - 17th to 6th. Another great job and looked so fast.
Petrov - Battled well in early stages finished a few places ahead of Heikki and held off the faster cars recovering of Senna & grosjean.

N4D13
22nd July 2012, 15:01
Grosjean is the clear donkey. Made contact once again with somebody, finished a lap down out of the points while Kimi was 4th. A good driver, but too crash-prone at the moment.

Fair point. You know, I have this weird thing going on in my mind and it looks like I can only remember the last 20 laps of a race or so. :p

Tazio
22nd July 2012, 15:04
Great drive by button. :up: I think that flat spot cost him the win.

Robinho
22nd July 2012, 15:07
Alonso, with a mention to Button.

Donkeys for Massa, Senna and Grosjean for their 1st lap antics, although I didn't see enough of the last 2 to see who hot who first. Massa's drive into the back of Kimi was schoolboy stuff

F1boat
22nd July 2012, 15:20
Alonso DOTD :) No obvious donkey for me.

Tazio
22nd July 2012, 15:27
Grosjean drove like an idiot ;)

A FONDO
22nd July 2012, 15:34
Noo, he rather drove like Vergne :D

donKey jote
22nd July 2012, 16:49
special mention now to Kimi for P3, and donkey now goes to Vettel :p

edv
22nd July 2012, 17:37
Despite the exciting battles at the front amongst all of the WDCs, I think special mention is deserved by the Saubers and the Force Indias. All 4 drivers played fair and provided some great entertainment.

markabilly
22nd July 2012, 18:43
special mention now to Kimi for P3, and donkey now goes to Vettel :p

I hope you are wearing diapers beneath your kilts......

Dave B
22nd July 2012, 19:54
Hard to argue with Alonso as the driver of the whole weekend. A calm approach in variable weather on Saturday, and a controlled race in which there were only a handful of laps in which he looked remotely under pressure.

Not many donkeys but Massa's start was comedy gold, and Grosjean barely completed a whole lap on the tarmac all weekend.

wedge
22nd July 2012, 22:51
Alonso and Button.

Hamilton for donkey award for wanting to retire after a puncture at the start of the race - even with the benefit of hindsight. What a wimp. :down:

kfzmeister
23rd July 2012, 03:38
Great drive by button. :up: I think that flat spot cost him the win.

No Way! It was Alonso who cost him the win. Couldn't get close in the DRS zone and Alonso deployed KERS in the perfect places. Those were Buttons exact words. :D

kfzmeister
23rd July 2012, 03:42
Alonso and Button.

Hamilton for donkey award for wanting to retire after a puncture at the start of the race - even with the benefit of hindsight. What a wimp. :down:

McLaren made him go back out and collect tire data to use for Button's race. Not bad for a number two driver. Lmao...

Tazio
23rd July 2012, 06:29
No Way! It was Alonso who cost him the win. Couldn't get close in the DRS zone and Alonso deployed KERS in the perfect places. Those were Buttons exact words. :D A point well taken! Regardless of what Button said; unfortunately in the U.S. they didn't show this race live, and my comment was based on what I observed from a Sky proxy in a 3x5 inch window while paying much more attention to sector, lap times in another window, and commenting on two forums. After watching it on a proper HDTV with full attention on the racing it is abundantly clear that Fred won this race on merit, which was largely due to getting the pole with a car that some said was not set-up for dry racing, which his race pace proved was an erroneous assumption, not to mention his guile, and superior race craft :up:
Forza Ferrari.....Scuderia Alonso! :D :cool:

F1boat
23rd July 2012, 09:54
Alonso and Button.

Well, he said earlier this week that he exists to win and obviously is not interested in anything else. Now I hope that you can understand why I can't stand the guy, although I admire his talent and respect his achievements in the sport.

F1boat
23rd July 2012, 10:09
He said the car was handling terrible after the damage from the puncture. It wasn't just a simple puncture as some of you are trying to make out, so let's get a few facts straight there. I'm sure there was an element of frustration in his request but you'd have to be a very calm individual and someone who has never lost their temper to judge him to harshly. Come on now. :rolleyes:

As always - I say that I am not a fan and I am blamed immediately :D

The Black Knight
23rd July 2012, 11:08
Alonso. Button - no way. He should have won the race and he was slower than Hamilton for a lot of it even though Hamilton's car was damaged. It was about time he had a good race but no way he was drive of the day. Schuey had a great race, so did Perez and Kobayashi.

Honorable mention to Petrove for finishing 16th in a race where there was only 1 retirement.

Donkey, Vettel for his overtake one Button which was always going to be penalized thus costing him valuable championship points.

odykas
23rd July 2012, 11:46
Button AKA "Can't Pass" ? :crazy:

Alonso, Kimi and Kobayashi for me.

airshifter
23rd July 2012, 11:54
Driver Alonso, with plenty of honorable mentions... Kimi, both Sauber drivers, both Force India drivers... plenty of good drives.

Donkey... the track officials who had no idea that some first turn incidents might leave debris on the track. I can certainly understand that during a race you don't send track workers darting across the track, but you would think any well prepared race would have contingencies to clear debris in the first couple of turns at the race start. This isn't unique to this race but they were lucky only Lewis suffered a puncture, and even more lucky some of that flying carbon fiber didn't injure someone. That was some nasty chunks of stuff flying around!

AndyL
23rd July 2012, 12:33
Button - no way. He should have won the race and he was slower than Hamilton for a lot of it even though Hamilton's car was damaged.

I think your memory may be a bit selective there. Button was lapping considerably faster than Hamilton for the vast majority of the race, bar a handful of laps after each of Hamilton's pit stops. Check out the race history chart on the FIA web site.

The Black Knight
23rd July 2012, 12:53
I think your memory may be a bit selective there. Button was lapping considerably faster than Hamilton for the vast majority of the race, bar a handful of laps after each of Hamilton's pit stops. Check out the race history chart on the FIA web site.

Yeah, I just looked at them and I stand corrected. But even looking at them there the difference, accounting for Hamilton being in a race with back markers and the likes, tehre wasn't a lot for a lot between them when Hamilton had clear air. But you're right, Button was faster for most of the race. He still doesn't get close to drive of the race though. He should have won. Good to see him up there again though!

The Black Knight
23rd July 2012, 13:14
Forgot to mention Massa as the biggest donkey for causing a very avoidable accident at the start of the race. Not good enough from a Ferrari driver.

N. Jones
23rd July 2012, 16:21
Alonso and Button.

That is not the first time Hammy has wanted to retire when he has been down in 18th or so...

The Black Knight
23rd July 2012, 20:10
Who you support is irrelevant to me, its your wording and opinion I respond to. You suggested he simply complained and asked to retire because of his position. That wasn't his explanation after the race and I'm pretty sure you don't have the inside knowledge to prove otherwise. Call it what you will, but trying to mislead people who have all seen the race isn't particulary bright.

Indeed. There was no suggestion at all that he wanted to retire due to his suggestion, rather the state of his car. His pace was excellent throughout so it's unlikely that he really didn't want to be there.

SGWilko
23rd July 2012, 21:01
As much as I dislike Alonso, if he wins the WDC this year it will be very well deserved. He's just got on with it this year, no moaning when the car was less than its best, week in/week out he's brought home the points.

steveaki13
23rd July 2012, 23:21
He said the car was handling terrible after the damage from the puncture. It wasn't just a simple puncture as some of you are trying to make out, so let's get a few facts straight there. I'm sure there was an element of frustration in his request but you'd have to be a very calm individual and someone who has never lost their temper to judge him to harshly. Come on now. :rolleyes:

Indeed. There was no suggestion at all that he wanted to retire due to his suggestion, rather the state of his car. His pace was excellent throughout so it's unlikely that he really didn't want to be there.

I might not be remembering things in correct order but I thought it went thus...

-Lewis got puncture and entered pits on Lap 2.

-While entering pits on Lap 2. Radio played saying we might as well retire. Thats before he has had a new set of tyres and felt if there was any damage. Of course the car feels terrible with a puncture.

-Then on Lap 3 or 4 he radio'd in again saying car feels weird. Then sets a time as fast as leaders.

- Then continues to race hard and battle his way up the field.Albeit not high enough.

So that seems to suggest he was ready to quit before knowing true extent of the damage to his car. Just because he didn't fancy a race amounst HRTs and Marussia's.

I was disappointed to hear this as just last week on the News he stated I can't promise anything except I will never give up. Which he maybe would have had it not been for the Mclaren team.

wedge
24th July 2012, 00:40
Who you support is irrelevant to me, its your wording and opinion I respond to. You suggested he simply complained and asked to retire because of his position. That wasn't his explanation after the race and I'm pretty sure you don't have the inside knowledge to prove otherwise. Call it what you will, but trying to mislead people who have all seen the race isn't particulary bright.

Put your fanboyism aside:

Ever noticed that when ever Hamilton is forced to confront the media after a sh*t race he likes to wear his shades.

Nor is it the first time Hamilton had obviously had to say the right things with the media.

The only credit he gets out of it is that after the pit stop he knuckled down and drove round his damaged car.

SGWilko
24th July 2012, 09:12
his damaged car.

Which was retired because, ultimately, the team deemed it too dangerous to continue.

Unless you were in the car and could tell by the feel what the damage was, you may want to stick to keyboard tapping! ;)

ArrowsFA1
24th July 2012, 11:07
Ever noticed that when ever Hamilton is forced to confront the media after a sh*t race he likes to wear his shades.
Ever noticed that when ever a driver is forced to confront the media after a race that they like to wear a watch?

wedge
24th July 2012, 11:55
Which was retired because, ultimately, the team deemed it too dangerous to continue.

Unless you were in the car and could tell by the feel what the damage was, you may want to stick to keyboard tapping! ;)

I would love to believe it but I'm too cynical to believe what came out of McLaren. It's far too coincidental that with about 10 laps remaining and nothing to salvage from the easy and correct way out would be to retire. I would rather they held than hand up said they wanted to retire and save the car for the next race but then they would incur the wrath of Charlie Whiting/stewards?

Ever noticed that when ever a driver is forced to confront the media after a race that they like to wear a watch?

It's another case of Button having qualities that you would wish Hamilton to have - that is putting a brave face on things without hiding behind shades. It's one of those intensely annoying things, much like having a conversation with one who can't leave their phone alone.

ArrowsFA1
24th July 2012, 13:02
...that is putting a brave face on things without hiding behind shades.
My point about the watches is that Hamilton is by no means unique in wearing shades or a watch when meeting the press. It's about product placement not "hiding".

wedge
24th July 2012, 13:24
My point about the watches is that Hamilton is by no means unique in wearing shades or a watch when meeting the press. It's about product placement not "hiding".

It's more than a coincidence he's wearing shades that when he has to face the media when audibly noticeable via muttering, grovelling half heartedly to the media because McLaren has told him to go out there and face the world.

He should grow up, grow a pair of balls instead of - in my eyes at least - sulking like a spoilt brat. I'd rather see a man face the media with conviction, with a screwed up face and the intensity in the eyes of a competitor who enjoys winning and hates losing.

ArrowsFA1
24th July 2012, 14:04
It's more than a coincidence he's wearing shades that when he has to face the media when audibly noticeable via muttering, grovelling half heartedly to the media because McLaren has told him to go out there and face the world.
I don't believe it is, and McLaren do not "tell him to go out there", there is a set schedule of media interviews that all drivers have to attend throughout the weekend which are determined by the FIA. Drivers can be fined for not attending.

DexDexter
24th July 2012, 14:19

Kimi always has shades on, at least on Finnish TV. I would too if I were him or Hamilton.

F1boat
24th July 2012, 16:23
He should grow up, grow a pair of balls instead of - in my eyes at least - sulking like a spoilt brat.

Difficult. As you see, no matter what he does, he is never to blame. He crashes into other people, he was "ballsy", he trolls people who lap him, he was "racy", he blames McLaren for everything, "he exists to win" and so on, and so on. And McLaren always defend him, because he is the favored kid of Ron Dennis. As I said, I have huge respect to his talent and can't help but admire his enthusiasm to the sport - you see the video in which he drivers Senna's car and can not not like him - but I don't buy the stuff that he is the best and perfect etc. He is a very good driver, one of the best and this is no small feat. However he is too arrogant and sometimes really acts like a spoilt brat. Vettel was like this in 2010 and sometimes acts stupid too, but IMO not to such degree.

wedge
24th July 2012, 16:58
I don't believe it is, and McLaren do not "tell him to go out there", there is a set schedule of media interviews that all drivers have to attend throughout the weekend which are determined by the FIA. Drivers can be fined for not attending.

True, but it seems rather obvious that Hamilton had to put a spin on his race by McLaren and doesn't particularly like that restraint.

Valencia this year and obviously Monaco last year.

Difficult. As you see, no matter what he does, he is never to blame. He crashes into other people, he was "ballsy", he trolls people who lap him, he was "racy", he blames McLaren for everything, "he exists to win" and so on, and so on. And McLaren always defend him, because he is the favored kid of Ron Dennis. As I said, I have huge respect to his talent and can't help but admire his enthusiasm to the sport - you see the video in which he drivers Senna's car and can not not like him - but I don't buy the stuff that he is the best and perfect etc. He is a very good driver, one of the best and this is no small feat. However he is too arrogant and sometimes really acts like a spoilt brat. Vettel was like this in 2010 and sometimes acts stupid too, but IMO not to such degree.

He called Hamilton "stupid" for overtaking him.

And similarly about Karthikeyan in Malaysia too.

Tazio
24th July 2012, 18:20
Hamilton is a seasoned pro compared to Vettel (which isn't a glowing endorsement by any means), and he would be untouchable in that car. He needs a change of scenery, and I think Alonso and him ought to continue their mutual admiration gig at Ferrari. If Alonso won this year he and The Boss would have a freakin' ball up in the Scuderia. Regardless of which one came out on top it would give a whole new meaning to
"The Players Ball"... :p imp: Church !!
PLAYERS BALL WASHINGTON DC - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NfUOX2jQJU)

Garry Walker
24th July 2012, 20:43
Well, he said earlier this week that he exists to win and obviously is not interested in anything else. Now I hope that you can understand why I can't stand the guy, although I admire his talent and respect his achievements in the sport.

Already the great late Senna said he was designed to win, not to come second or third. An admirable characteristics I would say.

As for wanting to retire, MS did the same at Monaco in 1998. Frustration gets the better of even such greats at times.

my driver of the race : Kimi. Many overtakings and clean as always. He is just perfect in wheel to wheel situations, in that, he very rarely crashes in such occasions.
Alonso was very good too obviously.

F1boat
25th July 2012, 08:22
Garry, I have enormous respect for Senna, but I do not admire such arrogance. I always liked the way Michael talks in interviews. Even in 2004 he never said that he is best of the best, that he exists to win etc. He even told the journos to keep an eye on Jenson! Or Fernando - he always races for points, collects them calmly and in the end tries to win what is possible. He also sounds quite humble in his interviews. Even Vettel, who is a bit of a joker boy did not speak rubbish about his greatness last year. But I suppose that other fans may like other things in drivers...

Mia 01
25th July 2012, 10:36
Kimi for me, the best driver this race. He nearly drove as it was 2005 again.

Part of why Lewis act as he do towards media and other people is perhaps that he envy the likes of MS and Seb. They hold the records who never can be beaten of Lewis. This frustates him as he thinks that it is his god giving right to be on top in all record books.

wedge
25th July 2012, 12:32
As for wanting to retire, MS did the same at Monaco in 1998. Frustration gets the better of even such greats at times.

There's a big difference from retiring mid-race a number of laps down after a mid-race incident and after the first lap because puncture.

ArrowsFA1
25th July 2012, 12:49
There's a big difference from retiring mid-race a number of laps down after a mid-race incident and after the first lap because puncture.
Hamilton did not retire either on lap 1 or because of a puncture

wedge
25th July 2012, 12:53
Hamilton did not retire either on lap 1 or because of a puncture

Sorry, I meant wanting to retire

N4D13
25th July 2012, 12:54
In 1998, they didn't have the rules about engines and gearboxes having to last for several events, nor were the cars as reliable as they are today, which means recovering from (almost) a lap down to score points in the end would be close to impossible. Just sayin'...

wedge
25th July 2012, 13:36
Hamilton has enough experience to know how his car should feel and the damage was confirmed after he retired. In hindsight he was right wanting to retire and really don't know what some of you are trying to prove here? :confused:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. With 65 laps to go and a lap down is there really a need to retire before you've even pitted and changed tyres?

DexDexter
25th July 2012, 21:52
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. With 65 laps to go and a lap down is there really a need to retire before you've even pitted and changed tyres?

A lap down in F1 2012 in dry conditions means the race is over, so why continue for the sake of it? Because it's the right thing to do? If (and I mean if) he felt there was nothing to gain by staying out, people should just respect that. He's the guy who is driving the car and putting his life on the line.

donKey jote
25th July 2012, 22:24
A lap down in F1 2012 in dry conditions means the race is over, so why continue for the sake of it? Because it's the right thing to do?
Free testing?

Tazio
25th July 2012, 22:51
Free testing?Keep it on the Q.T. Donkey ;)
Luca di had Pat Frye fit him for a seat in Valencia. I feel badly for Felipe.....Not :p :

steveaki13
25th July 2012, 23:11
Hamilton has enough experience to know how his car should feel and the damage was confirmed after he retired. In hindsight he was right wanting to retire and really don't know what some of you are trying to prove here? :confused:

I wasn't trying to prove anything really.

It just struck me as strange that he wanted to retire before pitting to repair the puncture. Surely with a puncture you can't tell the state of the car. If he had pitted then the next lap radio'd in and said car is awful then by all means retire.

But that fact he wanted to before that was strange for me.

Koz
26th July 2012, 02:33
Free testing?

And of course that silly eye for an eye thing.

Hold Alonso and Vettel as much as we can. Destroy their race as much as we can. Come on, boy!

wedge
26th July 2012, 14:09
A lap down in F1 2012 in dry conditions means the race is over, so why continue for the sake of it? Because it's the right thing to do? If (and I mean if) he felt there was nothing to gain by staying out, people should just respect that. He's the guy who is driving the car and putting his life on the line.

If the SC came out he would be able to unlap himself as per the rules and with the cars bunched up a better chance at making up places.