PDA

View Full Version : I love The Open

race aficionado
21st July 2012, 17:25
Nothing like those crazy link courses . . . specially when Tiger is doing well.

Have any of you golf playing forum members ever played in any of those famous Open golf courses?

BDunnell
21st July 2012, 18:28
I don't play, but I love the Open. Some wonderful moments already this year, especially Tom Watson's birdie at the last yesterday and the young Indian player (I forget his name)'s hole-in-one today. And I'm glad that the front of the field has closed up a bit, even if I would prefer Woods, whose grumpy demeanour irritates me every time I see it, not to win. Maybe Ernie Els, whose improved form is good to see, will be able to get a challenge together. He's handily placed and going well.

(Oh, and it's worth looking at Mark Calcavecchia's card for today. Talk about an up-and-down round!)

Brown, Jon Brow
21st July 2012, 18:32
I only live about 10 miles from Lytham St.Annes and a few of my friends are working at the Open.

race aficionado
21st July 2012, 18:37
I only live about 10 miles from Lytham St.Annes and a few of my friends are working at the Open.

And why aren't you there too??? :s mokin:

Do you play golf? And also, is this an expensive private course or can any amateur golf enthusiast have the privilege of getting trapped in those crazy bunkers and tall grass?

Brown, Jon Brow
21st July 2012, 18:47
And why aren't you there too??? :s mokin:

Do you play golf? And also, is this an expensive private course or can any amateur golf enthusiast have the privilege of getting trapped in those crazy bunkers and tall grass?

Green Fees (http://www.royallytham.org/green_fees) - expensive, over £100 for 18 holes. At my nearest golf club it's about £16 for a 18 holes. But I don't play golf. :erm:

race aficionado
21st July 2012, 19:16
Green Fees (http://www.royallytham.org/green_fees) - expensive, over £100 for 18 holes. At my nearest golf club it's about £16 for a 18 holes.

Holy Moly! :hmh:

But I don't play golf. :erm:

I haven't played in ages . . . but I love seeing it played so well.

As for this year's Open, it's Scott's to lose. He's been playing solid golf but as with this sport, anything can happen when those nervous jitters start taking over your game.

I'm so much looking forward to tomorrow and the wind that will come with it.

:s mokin:

Brown, Jon Brow
21st July 2012, 19:25
I don't want wind tomorrow! I'm going out for ice-cream :(

donKey jote
21st July 2012, 19:28

I lived at my gran's 7 miles North of the golf course for a while, but that was donkeys ago :bandit:

anthonyvop
21st July 2012, 23:03
The Height or Arrogance renaming it "The Open" when it is in actuality the "British Open"

BDunnell
21st July 2012, 23:17
The Height or Arrogance renaming it "The Open" when it is in actuality the "British Open"

No, it has not been re-named. It has always been known as The Open Championship. The word 'British' does not appear, and has never appeared, in the event's official title. It is an older tournament than the US Open. Therefore the British event has every right to refer to itself as The Open Championship. End of story.

anthonyvop
21st July 2012, 23:56
No, it has not been re-named. It has always been known as The Open Championship. The word 'British' does not appear, and has never appeared, in the event's official title. It is an older tournament than the US Open. Therefore the British event has every right to refer to itself as The Open Championship. End of story.

Nope.

US is much more important than the UK.....Now that is the End of story! :)

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd July 2012, 00:02
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IHmZeGAA2pw/Tw9HHzmr2RI/AAAAAAAAB6I/wcW9a5I8Wk0/s1600/troll%2Bface.jpg

BDunnell
22nd July 2012, 00:06
Nope.

US is much more important than the UK.....Now that is the End of story! :)

So, never mind the history and the facts in your world, then?

race aficionado
22nd July 2012, 18:51
It was indeed Adam Scott's to lose,
and he did.

One of my all time favorites won.

Bravo Ernie Els!!!!

I love The Open.

Sent from a telephone booth in Broadway

BDunnell
22nd July 2012, 19:06
Well, what an ending. Should have put some money on Els, but I can still hardly believe what happened. Not a dramatic, but rather a gradual collapse from Scott. Gripping stuff anyway, though.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd July 2012, 11:40
And the weather held out so I could have ice-cream. Mint choc chip and chocolate cookie flavour. :)

big_sw2000
24th July 2012, 13:24
Out of the top courses in Britain I have played the Belfry and Celtic Manor. Fantastic courses although not Open courses. :)

See they should hold it on the Rolls of monmouth, all its not links

Steve