PDA

View Full Version : London 2012 results and comments only (no politics)

Pages : [1] 2

pino
21st July 2012, 10:56
So what you guys expect from your country ? how many medals ? what's you fave sport discipline ? who will spectated this, when and where ?

I want some answer now ! :p :

pino
21st July 2012, 10:59
btw first thing I expect...Italy to kick as many spaniards as possible :hmph: ;)

Dave B
21st July 2012, 11:14
Brita... Sorry, we're supposed to call them "Team GB", has a decent shot at beating the Bejing medal haul. I'm not sure how much advantage there is in being the host nation (Nigel Mansell famously reckoned it made him faster at Silverstone) but it certainly must be a factor.

As for watching it, we're lucky that the BBC will have 20-something HD channels showing pretty much every minute of action, so I might be glued to the tellybox for most of the fortnight.

donKey jote
21st July 2012, 11:53
btw first thing I expect...Italy to kick as many spaniards as possible :hmph: ;)

maybe they'll actually do better at that sport than at kicking a football :bandit: :p

Rollo
21st July 2012, 13:12
I'm not sure how much advantage there is in being the host nation (Nigel Mansell famously reckoned it made him faster at Silverstone) but it certainly must be a factor.

In terms of numbers, it's worth about 20% of the medal tally:

Hosts with the most: why home advantage brings more Olympic medals | euronews, Sport (http://www.euronews.com/2012/07/19/hosts-with-the-most-why-home-advantage-brings-more-olympic-medals/)
Since 1948 the USSR, Spain, Mexico, Italy, Greece, Finland, the USA, China and Australia all enjoyed their biggest medal hauls on home turf. UK Sport, which distributes money to sports in the United Kingdom, has made a record British medal count its stated target and many believe it will reach that target.

The BBC World Service made mention of this on Sportsworld. Someone bothered to look at the medal tallies and it seems to be a statistical advantage but that might also be because the host nation has comparatively more athletes.

Malbec
21st July 2012, 15:31
So what you guys expect from your country ? how many medals ? what's you fave sport discipline ? who will spectated this, when and where ?

I want some answer now ! :p :

I'm HOPING for the Brits to relax, sit back and enjoy the spectacle however many medals we win.

I'm EXPECTING Brits to whine and whinge about the cost, the effect on commuting in London, the corruption and commercial aspects.

Generally speaking I'm not interested in the Olympics but I do think we'll do better than at Beijing, and hopefully some of the Olympic spirit will rub off on people. I work about 30-40 minutes drive from the Olympics but it feels like its happening in a different country.

BDunnell
21st July 2012, 17:02
I'm HOPING for the Brits to relax, sit back and enjoy the spectacle however many medals we win.

I'm EXPECTING Brits to whine and whinge about the cost, the effect on commuting in London, the corruption and commercial aspects.

Why is the latter a bad thing?

As a sports enthusiast I would like, once in a while, to be able to enjoy a sport or sporting event without feeling guilty for so doing. I can't with F1, for obvious reasons like Bahrain, Ecclestone, etc. I can't with golf because, in some quarters, it is undoubtedly sexist. And I can't with the Olympics because there are significant aspects of its staging to which I object mightily.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st July 2012, 18:53
GB will win gold in all events in which the competitors sit down.

Malbec
21st July 2012, 19:42
As a sports enthusiast I would like, once in a while, to be able to enjoy a sport or sporting event without feeling guilty for so doing. I can't with F1, for obvious reasons like Bahrain, Ecclestone, etc. I can't with golf because, in some quarters, it is undoubtedly sexist. And I can't with the Olympics because there are significant aspects of its staging to which I object mightily.

Sure, there are many sports and sporting events with a dark history or political background.

The thing is though that those negative connotations are linked to the organisation of the sport or event and not the often spectacular sporting achievements made by the athletes themselves. Its possible to separate the two and enjoy the sporting side for what it is and thats exactly what we should be doing.

BDunnell
21st July 2012, 19:47
Sure, there are many sports and sporting events with a dark history or political background.

The thing is though that those negative connotations are linked to the organisation of the sport or event and not the often spectacular sporting achievements made by the athletes themselves. Its possible to separate the two and enjoy the sporting side for what it is and thats exactly what we should be doing.

All fair enough, though I still have my doubts as to whether the UK should be hosting the Games at all.

GridGirl
21st July 2012, 20:58
We are heading down to Hampshire on Friday with a view to cycling some of the road race route and doing a partial recce for when we chase the men's road race around on our bikes on Saturday. We have tickets to the women's road race for next Sunday and after that we will be watching everything else on the television.

race aficionado
21st July 2012, 21:11
Archery, judo and mountain biking are traditionally Colombia’s strongest sports at the Olympics.

We use to have good boxers . . . .

Any bronze medal would be an achievement.

So as you see, we are not strong on that department but if we had Nascar racing in the Olympics, we could get a good ol' solid 20th! :p

N4D13
22nd July 2012, 05:00
London Olympics: Lord Coe's astonishing sponsors outburst - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2012/07/21/london-olympics-lord-coe-s-astonishing-sponsors-outburst-86908-23910798/)

Not that I'd follow the Olympics much, but come on - this is utter b*****it. I'd just like that to be a case of poor journalism rather than actual facts...

Dave B
22nd July 2012, 10:58
May I make a suggestion? Why don't we use the "Don't Mention the Games" thread to discuss the political and corporate side of the Games, and keep this thread for the sporting aspect of it. I guess that's what pino had in mind when he started it. :)

pino
22nd July 2012, 11:09
Great suggestion Dave thanks ! :up:

BDunnell
22nd July 2012, 12:58
I think that would be very sensible.

N4D13
22nd July 2012, 13:20
Point taken. ;)

Alexamateo
22nd July 2012, 17:25

How about those Spain Uniforms! :p

N4D13
22nd July 2012, 17:43

How about those Spain Uniforms! :p
The word in Spain is that Nadal only withdrew from the Olympics when he got his uniform. :D

edv
22nd July 2012, 17:50
As a Canadian, I'm hoping for a top-12 finish in medal haul.
A top-10 would be awesome.
Being realistic.

A.F.F.
22nd July 2012, 19:18
We have realistic chance of winning two medals. One from sailing and one from trap-shooting. That's it, the rest of our athletics are tourists enjoying London athmosphere.

But, my personal interest is women's marathon. :up:

janneppi
22nd July 2012, 19:26
That Spanish tracksuit really is something else. :D I heard it's effects on Spanish athletes mentioned in the radio couple of days ago, but didn't think it's that bad.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd July 2012, 02:42
Well EDV said it best, we Canucks would take maybe 12th as a good Summer Olympics. We really cranked up the programs in winter sports for Vancouver and it spoiled us a little. We need to remember most summer sports for Canadians are deeper, require some good things to happen and a little luck. Some favourites will fail,and some new star will likely emerge.

Top Canadian hopes are Adam van Koverdan (Flat water Kayak), Simon Whitfield (Men's triathalon, his last Olympics and he is carrying the flag), the Men's 8 rowing, the Women's 8 rowing, Carol Huyn (wrestling), Alexander Depatie (Men's diving), Dylan Armstrong (shot put) Curtis Myden (swimming). It should be interesting for us....we have to adjust our expectations because 2 years ago man did we get spoiled in Vancouver.

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2012, 08:54
Unfortunately romanian's fav sports ( pushing carts at hypermarket and girding the barbecues ) aren't ( yet) olympics.

Otherwise gone are the times when our girls from the gymnastics team ruled the competition. However, with the return of golden coach couple Bellu-Bitang we might get some medals on beam or floor.
Then we have some chances with fencing, rowing ( 8+1 women is a romanian speciality ) and canoe.

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2012, 08:58
But, my personal interest is women's marathon. :up:

Oh, I forgot about this. Last time the winner was romanian ( Constantina Dita Tomescu ) and to my knowledge she's still competing.

Mark
23rd July 2012, 14:26
The ones I'm most interested in are the road cycling - which is one of the first events, on Saturday. And of course the 100 metres, to see how Bolt gets on this time.

I say it every Olympics but 2 weeks is too short, if the Football World Cup (which is one sport) can last a month, then surely the Olympics justifies it?

A.F.F.
23rd July 2012, 20:50
Oh, I forgot about this. Last time the winner was romanian ( Constantina Dita Tomescu ) and to my knowledge she's still competing.

I wish her the best :up:

My interest is a finnish female runner because she started competing very late and have done so just a few years now. And she is 35 yrs old. She doesn't have a chance to win a medal but I cheer for her because I love to run myself and she inspires me :)

race aficionado
25th July 2012, 18:08
Watching woman's soccer- USA Vs France.
Good quality football and many players that are pleasing to the eyes.

Sent from my living room.

race aficionado
25th July 2012, 18:29
Surreal as it sounds, when I was a young boy in Colombia, the thought of girls/women playing football was an impossibility. It was a man's game and it was just part of the culture for it to be that way.
How times have changed and these women would have kicked my butt even in my better days.

I salute them.

Tazio
25th July 2012, 19:51
Big scare from France for our Gurls!!! Let the Smack-down begin! ;)

BleAivano
25th July 2012, 20:57
the host nation staff have already screwed up. At the start of the N. Korea vs. Colombia.
ON the stadium tv-screens the South Korean flag was displayed. The NK's were very upset and
is said to have refused to play.

The North Korean women's football team have walked off the pitch at Hampden Park in Glasgow in a row over flags.
The action was apparently in protest at the South Korean flag being mistakenly displayed beside players' names on a s
creen prior to their Olympic football match.

BBC News - N Koreans walk off after flag row (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18991619)

So if the forum is down tomorrow, i then know why (GB bombed by N.Korea). ;)

Bezza
26th July 2012, 11:05
I will be supporting GREAT BRITAIN of course. However, this TEAM GB lark winds me up. What year did they start calling it that? I refuse to utter the words from now one. We are Great Britain, the same as Germany are Germany and France are France etc!

odykas
26th July 2012, 11:20
News | The Olympics has its first giant gaffe already after wrong Korean flag displayed (http://www.joe.ie/london-2012/olympics-news/the-olympics-has-its-first-giant-gaffe-already-after-wrong-korean-flag-displayed-0027211-1)

http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/tomato.gif http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/tomato.gif http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/tomato.gif

gadjo_dilo
26th July 2012, 12:09
I can't imagine north korean women playing football.

Tazio
26th July 2012, 14:06
Well the put a serious beat-down on Columbia. The Asians sides are quite good, and at least represent obstacles to another total U.S. domination.

Mark
26th July 2012, 14:14
So if the forum is down tomorrow, i then know why (GB bombed by N.Korea). ;)

We're hosted in Paris, so it's all fine :D

Malbec
26th July 2012, 14:18
I can't imagine north korean women playing football.

Why not? IIRC China's football team is a real powerhouse while Japan won the last world cup. There isn't a reason for the North Koreans to be much worse.

Tazio
26th July 2012, 14:39
Why not? IIRC China's football team is a real powerhouse while Japan won the last world cup. There isn't a reason for the North Koreans to be much worse. Beside the obvious reason that it takes women out of abject poverty. In the womens game disapline is paramount and is a major contributing factor in why the Asians field very good sides.

race aficionado
26th July 2012, 15:13
[quote="Dr Giacomo Rappaccini"]Well they put a serious beat-down on Colombia. /QUOTE]
Yep, they won fair and square.

Tazio
26th July 2012, 15:17
WASHINGTON -- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is calling on the International Olympic Committee to commemorate the massacre of Israeli athletes by Palestinian gunmen at the Munich Games in 1972 with a moment of silence at the opening ceremony of this year's Games in London.

A senior State Department official said Wednesday that Clinton wrote to committee President Jacques Rogge to ask the IOC to hold an "appropriate memorial event" in London for the victims.

A diplomatic source familiar with the letter sent to Rogge on Tuesday said Clinton specifically urges the IOC to reverse its decision not to hold a moment of silence to mark the 40th anniversary of the tragedy at Friday's opening ceremony in London.

The official and the diplomatic source spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to describe the private correspondence.

Rogge says the opening ceremony is not appropriate for such a commemoration but the IOC is honoring the 11Israeli athletes and coaches killed in Munich at other events. Rogge participated in one such event on Monday.

In London, IOC spokesman Mark Adams confirmed receipt of Clinton's letter and said his organization had responded without providing details of the response. But, he noted that the IOC was already "marking this moment -- the blackest in the history of the Olympic movement in a number of ways."

Clinton is the latest in a number of U.S. officials, politicians and others who have weighed in on the matter. Israel has been pushing the IOC for a moment of silence as have political figures in Germany and Jewish groups around the world.

A committee started by a Jewish organization in Rockland, N.Y., has gathered more than 100,000 signatures for the moment of silence and counts President Barack Obama among its supporters. The IOC considers itself an ad hoc department of the United Nations. Anti-Semitism is frowned upon unless The Body (IOC) does it themselves. The Memorializing of 1972 Israeli wrestling team might annoy the oil producing nations. Eki where do you stand on this issue??? I remember watching that as it unfolded. The U.S. had to hustle Mark Spitz (the greatest international swimmer in history) out of Germany post haste! Maybe someone on this forum can tell me if their is strong public sentiment one way or another amoung the Poms.

race aficionado
26th July 2012, 15:20
Watching Spain Vs Japan.

I just learned that the rules for age are: under 23 but allowed 3 older players if desired.

Whoa! Japan scores!

pino
26th July 2012, 15:22
Dr Giacomo...please let's keep politics and other issues off here thanks :)

race aficionado
26th July 2012, 15:28
Vamos España!!!

Japan now has not only one more goal, but also one more player than Spain.

Ay Caramba!

I already have Olympics fever. :)

Tazio
26th July 2012, 15:53
Dr Giacomo...please let's keep politics and other issues off here thanks

Maybe we should define what "comments, results, and more..." includes :dozey: Thanks

pino
26th July 2012, 16:17
Maybe we should define what "comments, results, and more..." includes :dozey: Thanks

That includes OL sport disciplines only !

Tazio
26th July 2012, 17:07
That includes OL sport disciplines only !May we make historical comparisons i.e. so, and so just broke ______'s record. If so does that mean we can't postulate about what one athlete may have acomplished if his/her/their country did not boycott the OL :confused: "

pino
26th July 2012, 17:38
Do as you like as long you don't bring politics in here.

pino
26th July 2012, 17:41
Now back to OL...Spain vs Japan 0-1 :eek:

race aficionado
26th July 2012, 17:50
I missed the end of the game.
1-zero?
Some catching up to do for the españoles then.

I'll soon be back home to continue watching the other games.

Sent from somewhere in Queens using Tapatalk

Tazio
26th July 2012, 18:06
Now back to OL...Spain vs Japan 0-1 :eek: Are you suprised? The smart money says it is going to come down to a rematch of the 2011 world cup that Japan won in a PSO No?

Malbec
26th July 2012, 18:18
Are you suprised? The smart money says it is going to come down to a rematch of the 2011 world cup that Japan won in a PSO No?

No, that was the women's team (they beat Canada 2-1 yesterday). Today's matches are all men's football and the Japanese beat Spain 1-0 (should have been 4/5-0) with three men fresh from having won Euro 2012....

Tazio
26th July 2012, 18:41
That is a surprise, while I have you here and you seem to have some good sport's insights, what do you think Rafa's real reason is for pulling out?
BTW what makes me think that Spain will rebound from this and advance ;)

pino
26th July 2012, 19:04
Brazil is the team to beat in men's football so let's see what they can do tonight ;)

Mark
26th July 2012, 21:20
Starting now. Any more politics posts will be deleted without warning and if necessary infraction points handed out. If you want to get political there is a thread for that not here.

gadjo_dilo
27th July 2012, 07:35
The games haven't started yet but we already lost a few medals.
Our hope in W gymnastics is injured and she can't compete.
Now I've really lost my interest in OG.

Tazio
27th July 2012, 08:57
Perhaps off topic with the restrictive guidelines but I think this is appropriate due to London Olympic connection:
Born in 1926 in San Francisco, Ann Curtis a renowned swimmer who won two gold medals at the 1948 Olympics, the last time the event was held in London has died. She was 86.
It was Curtis' only Olympics. She took medals in all three events she competed in: gold in the 400-meter freestyle, gold in the 4x100-meter relay and silver in the 100-meter freestyle. She was elected to the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 1966.
Another outstanding west coast athlete, she represented her country admirably.
Rest in Peace

Brown, Jon Brow
27th July 2012, 20:46
Was it the British mens football team playing last night or the paralympic team?

Mark
27th July 2012, 20:58
Great opening so far. Nimrod is a perfect tune. :)

Mark
27th July 2012, 20:59
Was it the British mens football team playing last night or the paralympic team?

Paralympics isn't until well after the Olympics is finished.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th July 2012, 21:01
Paralympics isn't until well after the Olympics is finished.

It was a joke :erm:

Mark
27th July 2012, 21:04
Wiggo!!

Mark
27th July 2012, 21:05
Oh Danny Boyle! lol

Mark
27th July 2012, 21:25
Well impressed so far. That was pretty awesome. :D

Malbec
27th July 2012, 21:26
I want to be cynical but actually this opening ceremony is really good, reminding the rest of the world what Britain has contributed while bring great to watch. Excellent stuff so far.

Malbec
27th July 2012, 21:35
Bloody great ormond street, why do they get all the attention?

(edit) now I can see where they fit in, very well done.

Rollo
27th July 2012, 22:26
It would have been neat if the crowd had sung "Abide With Me". Still, it's been at every at every FA Cup and Olympics in England since 1927; that tradition continues

Rollo
27th July 2012, 22:27
The flags of nations as they go past the President of the IOC and the Queen's box, dip. I wonder if the US flag will dip tonight, it didn't at 1908 or 1948.

Tazio
27th July 2012, 23:05
The flags of nations as they go past the President of the IOC and the Queen's box, dip. I wonder if the US flag will dip tonight, it didn't at 1908 or 1948. It is specifically stated "NO POLITICS" But since their seems to be a double standard I will reply:
And on principal don't believe we should have ever felt the inclination since The Declaration of Independence ;) JMHO

Honest Abe Lincoln 1838 Before he held any public office:

In the great journal of things happening under the sun, we, the American People, find our account running, under date of the nineteenth century of the Christian era.--We find ourselves in the peaceful possession, of the fairest portion of the earth, as regards extent of territory, fertility of soil, and salubrity of climate. We find ourselves under the government of a system of political institutions, conducing more essentially to the ends of civil and religious liberty, than any of which the history of former times tells us. We, when mounting the stage of existence, found ourselves the legal inheritors of these fundamental blessings. We toiled not in the acquirement or establishment of them--they are a legacy bequeathed us, by a once hardy, brave, and patriotic, but now lamented and departed race of ancestors. Their's was the task (and nobly they performed it) to possess themselves, and through themselves, us, of this goodly land; and to uprear upon its hills and its valleys, a political edifice of liberty and equal rights; 'tis ours only, to transmit these, the former, unprofaned by the foot of an invader; the latter, undecayed by the lapse of time and untorn by usurpation, to the latest generation that fate shall permit the world to know. This task of gratitude to our fathers, justice to ourselves, duty to posterity, and love for our species in general, all imperatively require us faithfully to perform.

How then shall we perform it?--At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it?-- Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never!--All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

Garry Walker
28th July 2012, 00:55
That is a surprise, while I have you here and you seem to have some good sport's insights, what do you think Rafa's real reason is for pulling out?
Injury, as stated on many occasions. Or do you have any other interesting theories, I am sure we all want to hear.

Nice opening ceremony, with just a few negative aspects.

Tazio
28th July 2012, 03:19
missed it i was working out

Tazio
28th July 2012, 03:35
Injury, as stated on many occasions. Or do you have any other interesting theories, I am sure we all want to hear.
I consider him the best, however I suspect his autism has got him on the verge of a nervous breakdown! ;)

Tazio
28th July 2012, 04:18
Back to you Rollo; the reason America has issues with lowering our Flag to British Royalty is that our whole existence was based on abolishing Monarchy. After succeeding still many "Americans" wanted to make George Washington King. But along with most of the rest of our founding fathers not only was the idea rejected by Washington, our Constitution made a clause (the second amendment) allowing Americans the right to bear arms against a tyrannical government, assuring that at least in the near future our fledgling government would not change under new leadership. That Amendment as most evolved Americans realize is obsolete for obvious reasons. I gave up fighting with the gun nuts a long time ago. Our revolution was nowhere near as profound as The French Revolution, because we overthrew a Monarchy whose seat of power was over three thousand miles away. The French overthrew a Monarchy that had numerous other Monarchies in power on the same continent. So actually they all had a vested interest in keeping that form of Feudal rule in place. It is no longer important to us if you have your little royal charade because you are and have been our bitch for some time. So if we lowered our flag this time, C’est la vie. I think that your royalty should not expect anything more courteous than a handshake from me or any other American that passes their way regardless of what your Commonwealth traditions are.

Tazio
28th July 2012, 07:43
I will be impressed by athletic accomplishment, and have very little concern that I will be disappointed :dozey:

Dave B
28th July 2012, 10:07
Just worth pointing out:

Starting now. Any more politics posts will be deleted without warning and if necessary infraction points handed out. If you want to get political there is a thread for that not here.

:)

ioan
28th July 2012, 14:41
Looking forward to the sporting events now as the opening ceremony was the worse I have witnessed. IMO it was a big salad of whatever they could think about being British. Rowan Atkinson and the Queen were the best in the whole ceremony.

pino
28th July 2012, 15:01
Anyone's following men's road race ? :D

Rollo
28th July 2012, 15:15
Gilbert has done this sort of thing before, going out and making such a massive break that he can't be caught.

Team GB seem at times to be setting the pace of the peloton but if that's the case, I don't know who they'd plump for their medal hopes.

ioan
28th July 2012, 15:55
Well that's it, team GB raced thinking that they can't lose it, yet they get not even one medal out of it, and they also hurt Wiggins chances for the TT.

race aficionado
28th July 2012, 16:20
My Colombian cyclist fell asleep at the end (and was exhausted!) but a Silver medal is reason to celebrate.

Bravo Colombia!!!
Bravo Rigoberto Uran!!!

pino
28th July 2012, 16:39
That's a great result race :up: first silver medal (shooting) for Italy too :D

ioan
28th July 2012, 16:41
My Colombian cyclist fell asleep at the end (and was exhausted!) but a Silver medal is reason to celebrate.

Bravo Colombia!!!
Bravo Rigoberto Uran!!!

He did well and even without the mistake , looking the wrong way for his opponent, gold was difficult to get as I doubt that he would have won in a straight sprint with Vinokourov anyway.

Romania got a first medal at these games, silver, in Ladies Judo -48kg. :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
28th July 2012, 17:00
Looking forward to the sporting events now as the opening ceremony was the worse I have witnessed. IMO it was a big salad of whatever they could think about being British. Rowan Atkinson and the Queen were the best in the whole ceremony.

Well that's it, team GB raced thinking that they can't lose it, yet they get not even one medal out of it, and they also hurt Wiggins chances for the TT.

Are you just going to criticise everything the British do in the olympics?

race aficionado
28th July 2012, 17:12
He did well and even without the mistake , looking the wrong way for his opponent, gold was difficult to get as I doubt that he would have won in a straight sprint with Vinokourov anyway.

You are right Ioan, Vinokourov would have gotten him in the sprint anyway.

All those cyclists are amazing! To do what they all do is admirable. :)

odykas
28th July 2012, 17:21
The opening ceremony had some good moments (Rowan Atkinson and cauldron scene were the best ones) and some not so good moments (NHS and Beckham :evil: were the worst ones imho).

Also, I found many parts confusing (lots of people on stage but no actual meaning) and I failed to find the general message / idea. Instead, it seemed like a set of different stories not connected to each other.

ioan
28th July 2012, 17:26
Are you just going to criticise everything the British do in the olympics?

Nope, only their failures.

ioan
28th July 2012, 17:32
The opening ceremony had some good moments (Rowan Atkinson and cauldron scene were the best ones) and some not so good moments (NHS and Beckham :evil: were the worse ones imho).

Also, I found many parts confusing (lots of people on stage but no actual meaning) and I failed to find the general message / idea but instead it seemed like a set of different stories not connected to each other.

Apparently the general message was: Inspire a generation. I guess it was mostly about inspiring a new generation of young people/children into sport and more specifically into the Olympic values and spirit. I am curious how many kids got the message, as indeed it was just a mix of stories which were thrown on scene one after the other without any try to make a connection between them.

race aficionado
28th July 2012, 17:35
My favorite parts were:
The Queen and James Bond
The Chariots of Fire comedy bit
The OIympic Rings fireworks shower
Sir Paul Mcartney
The final firework display.
And of course, all the volunteers that made it happen and that will never forget this lifetime achievement.

For a lot of the outside world it was hard to relate to what was happening - unlike the proud Brits that saw their history play in front of their eyes.

Now what we are all hooked to is Olympic Fever.

Yes!!!

Sent from my Olympics home headquarters using Tapatalk

Tazio
28th July 2012, 17:40
After upsetting South Korea in mens Archery, It will come down to our boyz versus Mexico or Pino's boyz for the gold! :s ailor:

ioan
28th July 2012, 17:46
You are right Ioan, Vinokourov would have gotten him in the sprint anyway.

All those cyclists are amazing! To do what they all do is admirable. :)

Indeed what they manage to do is great and requires a lot of determination.

GridGirl
28th July 2012, 17:51
Just got back from watching the men's road race at Box Hill. As much as I really wanted Mark Cavendish to win I was so happy that Vinko won. This time last year he's crashed badly at the Tour de France and immediately announced his retirement. Now he's recovered from the broken femur and won a gold medal at the Olympics. That really is a comeback. Saw the last 10km on tv and the commentary was aweful. It shouldn't be a massive shock that someone from Kazakhstan won surely they must have heard of the Astana Cycling team. His lycra kind of gave it away.

Dave B
28th July 2012, 18:02
If we're discussing the opening ceremony there were some great individual moments but very few "wow" moments which stood out. Some of the choreography was outstanding, but the introduction with the rolling hills and the industrial landscape went on far too long. There were some inspired song choices, some classic British tracks and some quirky leftfield belters, but too often the music didn't flow seamlessly: it was more like someone pressing skip on an MP3 player.

Rowan Atkinson was sublime as ever but the sketch dragged on two minutes too long. The Bond stunt was a nice idea clumsily executed: the Queen should be above that nonsense and the pre-recorded bits were riddled with continuity errors (bright blue sky on the interior shots from the helicopter, pitch black on the exterior shots, for example).

I was teetering in the unconvinced camp, finding it neither terrible nor moving, right up until the cauldron was lit. My heart sank when I thought it might be bloody Beckham; Redgrave seemed a safe but uninspired choice; but the upcoming young kids chosen by former champions was a superb and touchingly executed piece of theatre.

Then they wheeled out Paul McCartney, which was the equivalent of a nightclub putting the house lights back on at the end of the night to make everybody go home. The guys a legend, obviously, but as he demonstrated at the Jubilee he just can't hack a live performance any more. Still, at least it wasn't Gary Barlow.

Seb Coe and Jacques Rogges made speeches which did nothing except boost their own giant egos, then Her Maj showed the world how it should be done with a speech that was so short and concise it could have been tweeted in (and on that note, how amazing to have Tim Berners-Lee tweeting live from the midst of the melee!).

Overall a great spectacle which probably confused as many people as it entertained, with some heartwarming moments but not quite enough overall wow.

pino
28th July 2012, 18:25
First gold for Italy in Archery after a close fight vs USA (219-218) :bounce:

:D

pino
28th July 2012, 18:32
...and another gold and silver in women's foil :eek: :D

N4D13
28th July 2012, 18:54
It's good to see that Jack Bauer has taken a break from saving the world and is now trying his luck in cycling. He has come in ninth at the men's road race in the Olympics. :)

Tazio
29th July 2012, 05:36
First gold for Italy in Archery after a close fight vs (USA 219-218)

I demand a recount :angryfire :arrowed: :laugh: Congrats to all the medalists, especially Italy :up:

Garry Walker
29th July 2012, 09:33
I consider him the best, however I suspect his autism has got him on the verge of a nervous breakdown! ;)

On this fast grass Nadal would have stood very little chance against some big-hitters anyway.

On another note, when you are suffering from a really bad hangover, then badminton is actually quite good a sport to follow.

Tazio
29th July 2012, 10:13
On this fast grass Nadal would have stood very little chance against some big-hitters anyway.

On another note, when you are suffering from a really bad hangover, then badminton is actually quite good a sport to follow.

I never drink to excess, could scalp you in Tennis, Badminton and skunk you in Table Tennis :wave:

Garry Walker
29th July 2012, 10:57
I never drink to excess, could scalp you in Tennis, Badminton and skunk you in Table Tennis :wave:

I would destroy you in both tennis and badminton.

pino
29th July 2012, 11:16
And I would humiliate both of you in marathon :p :

Tazio
29th July 2012, 11:42
I would destroy you in both tennis and badminton.How often do you play tennis?

ioan
29th July 2012, 12:54
I wonder why the two of you are not fighting it out on the Wimbledon grass right now?! :p

Tazio
29th July 2012, 13:22
I wonder why the two of you are not fighting it out on the Wimbledon grass right now?! :p My autism has flared up :p :

race aficionado
29th July 2012, 15:59
Another great cyclist event.
Tough with all that rain.

And today? I'm going to watch football going back and fourth between the 2 channels that are showing them.

By the way, I love how on half times they replay the best moments without any commentary, just the natural sounds of the players and the crowd.

driveace
29th July 2012, 15:59
Well Otley Girl Lizzie Armitstead,who we taught to drive at my Driving School,has just won Silver at the womens cycling event .Well done !

race aficionado
29th July 2012, 16:59
Neimar.

Just saying .....

pino
29th July 2012, 17:02
Neimar.

Just saying .....

Brazil will easily win gold ;)

race aficionado
29th July 2012, 17:48
Senegal Vs Uruguay is a good game right now.
Uruguay being one of the favorites has a lot if work to do.
Fun game.

Dave B
29th July 2012, 18:45
Nope, only their failures.

You'll be enjoying the water polo... :p

race aficionado
29th July 2012, 19:54
Vamos España!!
O- oh!!!!

janneppi
29th July 2012, 20:10
Another great cyclist event.
Tough with all that rain.

It was nice to see Finland's Sundstetd be so active in the womens race, too bad she missed the break-away.

Very tough to follow that race, there was F1 race at Hungaboring and UCI donwhill races going on at the same time. :)

About the mens race yesterday, I'm always happy when specialized sprinters don't win, I was looking forward seeing Cancellara make a move that stuns the leading back. He did make one, but not the move I expected. :D

race aficionado
29th July 2012, 21:40
Who would have thunk it.

Men's Spanish football team in an unexpected scenario.
Out of it after just two games.
Ay Carbamba!!!

No Olympic title for this football powerhouse.
That ball was just refusing to go in.

They must be partying in Honduras.
Good for them. :)

And congrats to the Great Britain team.

N4D13
29th July 2012, 21:44
The Spanish football team is out of the Olympics. What a huge disappointment! :(

Malbec
29th July 2012, 21:53
So Brazil and Japan are through, anyone else? 3-1 to Britain tonight.

How did the Spanish team take it? At the end of the match with Japan the players were so pissed off they were just pushing over the Japanese players whenever they were in the way. Wasn't impressed by that.

Tazio
29th July 2012, 22:36
Dana Vollmer wins gold, and sets new world record for 100-meter fly.
Viva la France ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
29th July 2012, 22:42
So the Great Britain football team team looks like a proper team now. But defeat to Uruguay will probably put them out. I still believe they could fluke a bronze medal. Cleverley, Bellamy and Sturridge all looked class.

GridGirl
29th July 2012, 22:47
Loved seeing the women's road race today. It was definately worth getting completely and utterly soaked to the skin and shivering cold for. Over 600 miles driving, 20 miles cycling, 10 miles walking, a few alcoholic beverages drunken, two road races, one silver medal and my weekend Olympic adventure is over. Great memories and no complaints from me. Winning isn't everything. :)

Tazio
30th July 2012, 04:45
Dana Vollmer wins gold, and sets new world record for 100-meter fly.
Viva la France ;)
Another Franco-American ;) wins gold setting an Olympic record of 99/100 :eek: in women’s Skeet’s, tying the world record, and becoming the first American to win individual medals in 5 straight Olympics. That's pretty good shootin' Tex'. Men’s "Roundball" not as dominant as I was expecting, only knocking off France by 27…… Scary Movie!! Kevin Durant, And Carmelo Anthony are beasts! :eek:
American women gymnasts on top after the quali round, can't wait for the medal rounds to start in earnest, expectations are high. Who will be this meets darling/s?

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 07:51
The opening ceremony was interesting to watch but I'm not a fan of such events. Maybe because when I was very young I had to be a part of such deployments and that meant a lot of time to waste with rehearsals in the burning sun.

Otherwise our gymansts aren't doing very well and the two rowing crews couldn't qualify directly. Wonder if we'll get more medals.

Ioane, what have you done yesterday? You were or were you not?

Tazio
30th July 2012, 08:48
The opening ceremony was interesting to watch but I'm not a fan of such events. Maybe because when I was very young I had to be a part of such deployments and that meant a lot of time to waste with rehearsals in the burning sun.

Otherwise our gymansts aren't doing very well and the two rowing crews couldn't qualify directly. Wonder if we'll get more medals.

Ioane, what have you done yesterday? You were or were you not?
Gadji I never watch the openning ceremonies regardles of where they are being held. Sad Katalina made the mistake on the floor, but I think Romania, and maybe even Katalina will medal medal if they get over their jitters. I'm watching them (on replay) right now :)

Tazio
30th July 2012, 09:16
Katalina is in the all around and Jordan Weaver isn't that doesn't seem fair. At least the reining world champion is in the floor competition where I will be very surprised if she doesn't take gold with a thorough beat-down. :amgel:

Tazio
30th July 2012, 09:17
Katalina is in the all around and Jordan Weaver isn't that doesn't seem fair. At least the reining world champion is in the floor competition where I will be very surprised if she doesn't take gold with a thorough beat-down. :angel:

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 09:49
Dottore, I'm afraid you confuse Larisa Iordache with Catalina Ponor. Larisa and Sandra are in the all around (with 0 chances). Larisa who's seriously injured isn't in any apparatus final. Too bad as she's european champion at floor and vice-european champion at beam.
The only chance for a medal is Sandra Izbasa - who BTW is very beautiful - at vault and floor. Catalina who generally is great at beam and floor had a really bad day yesterday. With a bit of chance and more concentration she can get a medal at beam.

As for Jordan Weaver missing the all around it's not our girls fault. What about the girls who are on the last places?

Tazio
30th July 2012, 10:22
My point is that Jordyn Wieber placed in P4 and they take 24 qualifiers. I did not mean to say it was your gurls fault, only that she outscored everyone except two girls on her own team and one Russian. BTW Yes I was mistaken, ponor qualified for "The Beam". I hope she does well. In the all around, and team, we look very strong! Remember Nadia's first Olympics? I do!! :facelick: :angel: BTW I like Gabby Douglass.

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 10:43
Remember Nadia's first Olympics? I do!! :facelick: :angel:

The routines were probably easier than now but she was really perfect.
Nadia comaneci-first perfect ten in history (1976 Montreal) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2YT-PIkEc)

She was perfect at bars and now none of our girls can do this apparatus. For years.
Wonder why.

Tazio
30th July 2012, 11:04
The routines were probably easier than now but she was really perfect.
Nadia comaneci-first perfect ten in history (1976 Montreal) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2YT-PIkEc)

She was perfect at bars and now none of our girls can do this apparatus. For years.
Wonder why.She was the prototype!

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 14:30
Unbelievable! A gold medal for us: Alin Moldoveanu at sample 10 meters air rifle. This is an unexpected one.

pino
30th July 2012, 15:12
Unbelievable! A gold medal for us: Alin Moldoveanu at sample 10 meters air rifle. This is an unexpected one.

Congrats it was a close fight vs our man Campriani :up:

Malbec
30th July 2012, 15:16
Wonder why.

Something to do with the collapse of Communism and the inability or unwillingness of the government since to spend much on sports perhaps?

Its no coincidence that Britain's medal haul has increased with government spending and ditto that for China.

Speaking of which its China vs Britain synchronised diving now...

Tazio
30th July 2012, 15:21
When did Beach Volleyball become popular in Jolly Olde?

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 16:06
Something to do with the collapse of Communism and the inability or unwillingness of the government since to spend much on sports perhaps?

Its no coincidence that Britain's medal haul has increased with government spending and ditto that for China.

But our gymnasts were still great and olympic champions even after communist period despite the financial problems. The couple of coaches Mariana Bitang-Octavian Bellu is probably the most succesful in their branch. However, the bars are our low point. These days our girls are specialized in one or two apparatus but because of the bars we can’t be succesful in the all around.

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 16:10
Congrats it was a close fight vs our man Campriani :up:
Thanks. You have more chances than us to get gold medals in other sports.

But, surprise, surprise....
Right now one of our girls is fighting for gold at judo!!!!!!!!!

Malbec
30th July 2012, 16:31
First controversy of the London games?

Ye Shiwen's world record Olympic swim 'disturbing', says top US coach | Sport | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012)

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 16:39
Oh, just silver at judo....

But it's not that bad. 3 days, three medals.

Tazio
30th July 2012, 17:00
Devastating loss in overtime for Australia at the hands of France in Women's Roundball.
Action paced edge of your seat however. All futile however, because
Woman's Basketball is the closest thing we had to a done deal before they even got on the plane for a team gold. Russia against Brazil is about to start, and our commentators are trying to hype it as a game between we should worry about, but Australia is the only team with a realistic chance to upset our gurlz

Tazio
30th July 2012, 17:11

Ye Shiwen's world record Olympic swim 'disturbing', says top US coach | Sport | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012)Hmmmm <scratches chin>

It was her final 100m of freestyle, in which she recorded a split time of 58.68sec, that aroused Leonard's suspicion. Over the last 50m she was quicker than Ryan Lochte, who won the men's 400m IM in the second-fastest time in history.

ShiftingGears
30th July 2012, 17:40

Ye Shiwen's world record Olympic swim 'disturbing', says top US coach | Sport | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012)

Indeed. Quite an unbelievable time.

ShiftingGears
30th July 2012, 17:42
Devastating loss in overtime for Australia at the hands of France in Women's Roundball.
Action paced edge of your seat however. All futile however, because
Woman's Basketball is the closest thing we had to a done deal before they even got on the plane for a team gold. Russia against Brazil is about to start, and our commentators are trying to hype it as a game between we should worry about, but Australia is the only team with a realistic chance to upset our gurlz

Disappointing loss, I don't think it was devastating. France played very well, while Cambage and Jackson being fouled out certainly didn't help. It was amazing that Australia made it to overtime.

Tazio
30th July 2012, 17:51
Disappointing loss, I don't think it was devastating. France played very well, while Cambage and Jackson being fouled out certainly didn't help. It was amazing that Australia made it to overtime.I hope you are right. That shot made from beyond half court as time ran out was the most rediculous dream of a prayer I've seen in some time :crazy:

Funniest story of the games IMO so far:

LONDON -- A Brazilian judoka accidentally broke his Olympic bronze medal when he brought it into the shower. Now he's fighting to have it replaced.

Felipe Kitadai said he was carrying the medal everywhere. He took it with him to the shower as a joke, then dropped it while trying to keep it from getting wet.

Brazilian judoka breaks Olympic medal in shower - Olympics - CBSSports.com News, Medal Count (http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/story/19687240/brazilian-judoka-breaks-olympic-medal-in-shower)

Tazio
30th July 2012, 22:31
Where is R.A. can't believe the sucker-punch of Abby Wambach, that resulted in a two game suspension. Your gurl should be sent home :down: It's cool though our women are studs.

http://p.twimg.com/Ay9rDbUCQAEKQGl.jpg

janvanvurpa
31st July 2012, 00:21
Hmmmm <scratches chin>

Did she finish first?
OK then. Gold.

Sore loser much the American coach?

Tazio
31st July 2012, 02:32
Did she finish first?
OK then. Gold.

Sore loser much the American coach?That coach did not have a swimmer participating in the race.

The American John Leonard, executive director of the World Swimming Coaches Association, said the 16-year-old's performance was "suspicious"

"We want to be very careful about calling it doping," said Leonard

Sore loser much the American coach? Either your wife, (or Yoda) is posting with your screen name ;)

Rollo
31st July 2012, 13:33
Germany holds on to win the team event at the equestrian and Team GB gets a silver with Zara Philips getting an Olympic medal.

Tazio
31st July 2012, 14:36
Vincent Hancock continues the US domination of Skeet Shooting becoming the first Olympian to win two gold medals in this discipline Shooting 148/150. He had a perfect score in the final round.

Tazio
31st July 2012, 14:46
Beautiful one touch for Sweden's first goal against Canada.

race aficionado
31st July 2012, 14:55
Where is R.A. can't believe the sucker-punch of Abby Wambach, that resulted in a two game suspension. Your gurl should be sent home :down: It's cool though our women are studs.

http://p.twimg.com/Ay9rDbUCQAEKQGl.jpg

Nobody likes a "shiner".

Watching Canada Vs Sweden.

Abby will be fine. ;)

Tazio
31st July 2012, 14:59
Nobody likes a "shiner".

Watching Canada Vs Sweden.

Abby will be fine. ;)

Speak for yourself I think it's hot :dork: :s tareup:

Tazio
31st July 2012, 16:11
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal goal goal goal goal goal goal qooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal de la Canada

84th minute :eek:

race aficionado
31st July 2012, 16:25
These are great soccer players.

A.F.F.
31st July 2012, 16:49
And I would humiliate both of you in marathon :p :

And I would you in half a marathon :p :

Tazio
31st July 2012, 17:23
Au revoir Columbia pour le moment.

race aficionado
31st July 2012, 18:25
I can't stop watching women's soccer. Every time I go to see other events, I eventually come back.

Watching USA Vs PRK

Tazio
31st July 2012, 19:39
I can't stop watching women's soccer. Every time I go to see other events, I eventually come back.

Watching USA Vs PRK

Women just took team gymnastic gold, big surprise :dozey:

Mintexmemory
31st July 2012, 22:02
GB 1 Brazil 0 - that is all - keep calm and carry on

Tazio
31st July 2012, 22:08
GB 1 Brazil 0 - that is all - keep calm and carry onGreat victory could have easily been 3-0, Amazing.

D-Type
31st July 2012, 22:12
I thought the Italian beach volleyball players were better looking than the GB ones. But the result was still pants!

Tazio
1st August 2012, 05:07
I thought the Italian beach volleyball players were better looking than the GB ones. But the result was still pants!I'm already looking forward to 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6rZT8N1XI&feature=player_embedded

odykas
1st August 2012, 09:03
Beach volley is one of my favourite olympic sports ;)

CaptainRaiden
1st August 2012, 11:21
When is Michelle Jenneke running again?

I'm just a fan of her assets as an athlete and her talent as a hurdler.

Mintexmemory
1st August 2012, 11:52

That's just perverted!! Next you'll be saying that Sharapova's forehand is all that interests you!

Tazio
1st August 2012, 12:41

:s ailor:

Mark
1st August 2012, 16:12
Bradley Wiggins Olympic time trial champion :D Fantastic!

Mintexmemory
1st August 2012, 16:24
Bradley Wiggins Olympic time trial champion :D Fantastic!

Ta Wiggo, he just recouped most of my losses on Cav!

CaptainRaiden
1st August 2012, 23:41
That's just perverted!! Next you'll be saying that Sharapova's forehand is all that interests you!

Chill bro. I'm an actual fan of Michelle Jenneke unlike all the other perverts. I've been closely examining her warm-up routine (what many call a dance, pfft) all day by hitting the replay button on that video. Very intriguing...........the technique...

Sharapova's forehand requires some tweaks, which I can make when I'm teaching her golf.

janneppi
2nd August 2012, 15:15
Congrats to Nasser Al-Attiya for his bronze in mens Skeet, hopefully Chris Atkinson doesn't crash his car in Finland too much this weekend. :D

Tazio
2nd August 2012, 15:24
It's turning into a dynasty. Our women continue their dominance in Crew 8's. The Otay Lakes Olympic Training Center is about 15 miles from where I live (a fantastic Largemouth Bass fishery BTW). We are doing fairly well (with over 30 medals) for the most obese country in the world. Track and field hasn't even gotten underway. This is turning into a laugher. :angel: ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd August 2012, 19:52
3 Golds for Great Britain today.

pino
2nd August 2012, 20:00
Congratulations :up:

BDunnell
3rd August 2012, 00:12
Congrats to Nasser Al-Attiya for his bronze in mens Skeet, hopefully Chris Atkinson doesn't crash his car in Finland too much this weekend. :D

Must say, his all-round sporting exploits are pretty impressive. He may not be a top-level WRC driver, but no-one else in the sport can claim also to be an Olympic medal-winner.

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 01:04
3 Golds for Great Britain today.Well done GB also came within inches of another in men’s crew 4's just foiled by South Africa. US brought in so much gold today we may have to put some in Federal Reserve gold vault. Special props to Gabby Douglas for gold in women’s gymnastics all-around,
plus a couple swimming (Phelps, and co.) records and a mess of other junk ;) :crazy:

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 08:27
Special props to Gabby Douglas for gold in women’s gymnastics all-around,

I was expecting to say something like " Mustafina fell off the beam and is taking bronze and Aly Raisman ....etc. etc. " :laugh:

I feel sorry for Komova.

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 09:14
I was expecting to say something like " Mustafina fell off the beam and is taking bronze and Aly Raisman ....etc. etc. " :laugh:

I feel sorry for Komova. Komorva had a great floor to end the competition so that makes it especially hard for her, I felt sorry for her as well, she was very elegant, and came so close. I think I may feel sorrier for her to have to spend so much time with the biggest head-case of a teammate in Mustafina, what a psycho :laugh:

BTW they finally showed Nadia breifly on the US broadcast making a quick comment right before the last event, I'm still in...... :love: :heart:

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 09:39
Nadia has become a very confident person, very different of the shy girl she was as a gymnast. I suppose it's because she choose to live in USA.
In my opinion she looks older than she is but she's a very nice person always supporting our girls and making lobby for our country.

I think Sandra has chances for a medal at floor.

BTW, how is it possible to have a first name like McKayla?

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 13:49
BTW, how is it possible to have a first name like McKayla?

To give you the short answer]Girls Names:[/B]
Ailey
Ainsley
Averill
Becker
Bellamy
Blythe
Braley
Bronte
Calloway
Carney
Chastain
Connolly
Delaney
Dempsey
Destry
Devereux
Fallon
Flannery
Fraley
Fuentes
Garcia
Gates
Gatlin
Gibson
Halsey
Harper
Jenner
Leighton
Liotta
Loria
Marley
Mason
McCarey
McCartney
McLayne
Monet
Mundy
Nilsson
Odell
Piper
Raleigh
Sloane
Tandy
Tierney

Boys Names:
Addison
Aiker
Akren
Alcott
Alden
Altman
Archer
Asher
Ashton
Ausburn
Barclay
Barrett
Barrick
Baxter
Beckett
Bennett
Benson
Bentley
Benton
Berkley
Blakely
Bogart
Boone
Branigan
Branson
Brantley
Brewster
Bricker
Brighton
Brock
Bronson
Broxson
Bryant
Bryson
Burke
Burton
Calder
Calhoun
Callahan
Caruso
Chaplin
Clayton
Cortez
Crosby
Cruz
Darwin
Davis
Decker
Dennison
Dixon
Donovan
Dugan
Easton
Edison
Erickson
Farrell
Finn
Fitzgerald
Forrest
Frasier
Grady
Granger
Griffin
Hagan
Hansen
Hardy
Hayes
Hendrix
Jagger
Jameson
Jarrett
Jenson
Kahler
Keaton
Keirnan
Kessler
Kingsley
Larson
Lennon
Lennox
Lincoln
Lyndon
Maguire
Malone
McAllister
McKormick
McLeod
Mercer
Monroe
Morrison
Nelson
O' Keefe
Paxton
Peirce
Pierson
Rafferty
Redmond
Reed
Remington
Rowan
Ryder
Sawyer
Sheridan
Slater
Tate
Tucker
Weston
Wharton
Whelan
Wilson

As for Nadia she has a sort of earthy, sensual, mysterious, haunting form of beauty (sort of like a character out of a Nathanial Hawthorne story ;) ) that is not common in Anglo dominated societies like the USA. Plus she is probably close to 10 years younger than me so that makes her a young hottie. These things are relative :s mokin:

http://rashmanly.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/nadia-comaneci_11.jpg

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 14:03
To give you the short answer; parents may name their offspring whatever they chose. Contrary to what many will tell you The US is still a free country :laugh: There are many traditional surnames that are very popular first names in the U.S. I call them people with two last names.

Here you should be gypsy to have such a name. :laugh:

As for Nadia she has a sort of earthy, sensual, mysterious, haunting form of beauty (sort of like a character out of a Nathanial Hawthorne story ;) ) that is not common in Anglo dominated societies like the USA. Plus she is probably close to 10years younger than me so that makes her a young hottie. These things are relative :s mokin:

http://rashmanly.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/nadia-comaneci_11.jpg
No offence but you're really weird....Can't find anything sensual or mysterious in her but as our latin ancestors say, de gustibus non est disputandum.
Don't know your age but she's definitely 51. Young hottie??!!???
When you'll be 70 yo the young hotties will be 60.

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 14:35
Here you should be gypsy to have such a name.

No offence but you're really weird....Can't find anything sensual or mysterious in her but as our latin ancestors say, de gustibus non est disputandum.
Don't know your age but she's definitely 51. Young hottie??!!???
When you'll be 70 yo the young hotties will be 60.
I guesed she was about 49 or 50. You can learn my age by clicking on my screen name :|
Stop trying to ruin my fantasies damn'it :bigcry: :)

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyX3bgeFys7XkuRvgYWPRou0fdJUSEx qZDZEcg9urVzXILf1kH6w

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/UNESCO+First+Global+Summit+Cervical+Cancer+R6WZBlJ 3R2el.jpg

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 14:38
Sorry, have a nice weekend and many, many, many gold medals for USA.

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 14:44
We're about to get a new medal. We're in the final at ...I don't know to say it , but it's about fencing.

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 17:41
"The Predator", as some of us in the US like to call her is punishing Azarenka
That could change though!

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd August 2012, 19:27
4 Golds so far today Great Britain.

As it stands we are 3rd in the table. Highest we'll ever get.

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 21:46
+ Murray won. The Predator overpowered Azarenka with ground strokes 6-1/6-2! GB and USA are guaranteed at least silver in Singles.

Monty Python - Dirty Vicar - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9SYX7TSJ0)

Tazio
3rd August 2012, 22:27
3rd in the table. Highest we'll ever get.
That depends on your definition, obviously you were merely stating that over-taking the US or China would take more than a Herculean effort. This is your gig. How do you really want to remember it?. I watched your women institute Catenaccio against Brazil, and it worked. Because really you were always moving forward, and susceptible to counter attack you sensed early on Brazil was suffering otherwise you went full blown Catenaccio, should have won at least 3-0. Be afraid!! Be afraid that your brain-trust does not let your team simply play to its strengths. Right now you have as much finesse as any team, but you can be out physical’d, or so it would seem. You need innovation I think you will get it, and if you get it the way I think you're starting to get it, you will be destiny’s darlings. Dig that!!

Tazio
4th August 2012, 15:31
http://images.sportsworldreport.com/data/images/full/2012/08/01/3250-serena-williams.jpg

The Predator ..........6 6
The Other American 0 1

Tazio
4th August 2012, 16:44
First Canadian Gold :up:
O canada - Canadian National Anthem (lyrics) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqqSHbLUpXc)

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 17:17
Honduras making it interesting ....

Let's see how Brazil reacts. :)

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 17:39
When it's 11 Vs 10 the game changes.

And it does: 1-1

Tazio
4th August 2012, 17:46
Honduras making it interesting ....

Let's see how Brazil reacts. :)

Sent from my Olympics home headquarters using TapatalkLooks like they're tied at half!

Tazio
4th August 2012, 17:52
Honduras is screwed I missed the red card what happened RA
Just saw the replay that second yellow card was chicken**** on behalf of the ref. IMO

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 18:05
Like they say in Brazil:
"holly crap!"

Tazio
4th August 2012, 18:07
Then the penalty kick, this is some match 2-2

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 19:27
Go England!!!

I want to see them play Brazil. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 19:48
Go England!!!

It's Great Britain! :p

Tazio
4th August 2012, 20:43
Ouch!!! (the collision in front of the goal)

Tazio
4th August 2012, 21:24
Extra time :s mokin:

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 21:28
As most of our team is English I hope it doesn't go to penalties.

Tazio
4th August 2012, 21:30
OMG how did he miss that header?

Tazio
4th August 2012, 21:35
Damn Korea are taking this seriously, and GB hasto hustle at home for christ's sake. This has turned into a real corker!

Tazio
4th August 2012, 21:42
The announcer with a British accent just
just said that UK has turned losing in the quarter-finals of international play into an art-form :s ailor:
103rd min.

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 21:42
C'mon Brits!!!

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 21:50
The last time England's football team has reached this far at the Olympics was the year I was born - 1954.

That's a loooooooooooong time ago!

Tazio
4th August 2012, 21:55
The UK doesn't seem to be as insanely fit as S. Korea, but they are a little more sofistcated with set play sense :confused: :p : :D

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:02
penaly kicks!

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 22:03
Penalties. :s

In other news GB have won 3 Golds on the track tonight. Ennis- Heptathalon, Farah - 10,000m and Rutherford - Long Jump.

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:05
The last time England's football team has reached this far at the Olympics was the year I was born - 1954.

That's a loooooooooooong time ago!

hey that is the year I was born :confused: :s ailor: What's your sign? :laugh:

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 22:06
I hate penalties. :s

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 22:07
I'm a goat and I don't want any Brit goats right now in this penalty game ender.

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 22:09
I dislike penaltys too.

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:09
This match was a tie, period.

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:11
This is drama, not Football :dozey:

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 22:12
Well that's that :(

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:12
No!!

race aficionado
4th August 2012, 22:14
:(

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:15
The annoucer just said about Korea (in a British accent)they showed some "bottle"

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 22:16
Well I'm used to this feeling. How predictable.

Penalty defeats-
2012 v S.Korea - Olympics
2012 v Italy - Euros
2006 v Portugal - World Cup
2004 v Portugal - Euros
1998 v Argentina - World Cup
1996 v Germany - Euros

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:42
I'm a goat and I don't want any Brit goats right now in this penalty game ender.

Sent from my Olympics home headquarters using TapatalkYour profile reads like a Columbian drug lord's. Make up your mind your profile says you were born in 55,56, But if you were born in 1954 you are old 3 months older than me. What year did you start growing younger? I started at 40, that makes me 22 ;)

Tazio
4th August 2012, 22:53
Viva Mexico!

janvanvurpa
4th August 2012, 23:04
hey that is the year I was born :confused: :s ailor: What's your sign? :laugh:
(harumph) Kids.
harumph.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2012, 23:06
Great Britain have won more golds today than any other nation with 6 medals! :eek:

Wasted Talent
4th August 2012, 23:13
Great Britain have won more golds today than any other nation with 6 medals! :eek:

:) :) :)

Tazio
4th August 2012, 23:18
Excellent!! American feeds aren't saying squat. But their is the issue of Muarry!!!! Right now I'm wearing my Roger Federers shirt. saaanap :dork:

race aficionado
5th August 2012, 00:10
Your profile reads like a Columbian drug lord's. Make up your mind your profile says you were born in 55,56, But if you were born in 1954 you are old 3 months older than me. What year did you start growing younger? I started at 40, that makes me 22 ;)

I'm a 1956 model with some now apparent memory issues.
But the date of England's last advance to this stage in the football event was 1956.

Let's see how many more years before they advance to the semis.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 00:51
But the date of England's last advance to this stage in the football event was 1956.

OK you are the younger :cool:

Dave B
5th August 2012, 09:24
^ One of the greatest sporting evenings ever at the Olympic stadium and you lot were watching a bunch of millionaires kick a ball around. :eek:

BDunnell
5th August 2012, 12:09
I do think we should have left football out of the Olympics or at least not entered ourselves.

Oh, no — I'm delighted we entered and have under-performed, because it's great for attention to be focused on the activities of articulate, dedicated, well-behaved sportsmen and women rather than boorish, overpaid footballers. The contrast is stark.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 13:34
^ One of the greatest sporting evenings ever at the Olympic stadium and you lot were watching a bunch of millionaires kick a ball around. :eek: I acutually saw both. My personal feeling is that what was accomplished in track, and field was inspiring, especially the Long Jump. However as a country of people IMO you should own your entire team. :angel:

Addis Ababa !!

Tazio
5th August 2012, 14:08
For someone like myself who said the Olympucs isn't my thing and an event I would avoid, I seem to have watched an awful lot of it due to my wife. I have to say I've enjoyed it and yesterday was brilliant for Britain.

I do think we should have left football out of the Olympics or at least not entered ourselves. We've had so much football this year with major events and it appears to be a dominant story in British Olympic news and I think this should be about celebrating other sports. I got offered free tickets to a football match in the Millennium Stadium the other day (Friday), but I was actually glad I turned it down and watched history being made on TV instead. Unexpectedly I'm enjoying it so far. :) So as the host country you think you should have left out (arguably your national pastime), I think they should have left Baseball in the OL because that would have been the only baseball I've paid attention to all season. BTW The Predators just took women’s doubles in another of your national pastimes.
I threw my Federer T-shirt into the dirty clothes pile, and am pulling for Andy "the man", not the Pom.
http://www.altergroup.com/alter-care-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sour_grapes.jpg

I'm going hard for Mexico now.

Alea iacta est

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 15:03

It's unlikely that BRITAIN will get to the semis any time soon as we normally don't enter the Olympic football. This was a one-off.

I find it quite depressing that British people like to laugh at our footballers when they lose, just because they aren't football fans themselves.

I found it quite strange supporting a British football team for the first time. It doesn't seem that long that Welsh players like Aaron Ramsay were playing in a competitive match at Wembley against England.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 15:21
I was happy for football to be included and the womens football, but I don't think we should have entered a male team. Our women have done much better than our men and have been pushed into the shadows.

I have to disagree here. Yes, the woman beat Brazil, but they are essentially the England team (1 or 2 Scots) that have been playing together for years. The GB mens football team was a team that only got together a few weeks before the start of the tournament and were unable to select the English players who played in the Euro's. And despite this they still managed to play positive football that England were too afraid to try at the Euro's and still didn't lose a game in the tournament.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 15:37
I was happy for football to be included and the womens football, but I don't think we should have entered a male team. Our women have done much better than our men and have been pushed into the shadows. The amount of coverage it has got, leaving Beckham out, and all the hype that went along with it was just overshadowing alot of the other coverage and thankfully we have been knocked out and the press can come down to reality here. We have nothing but football on our news all year and have only just had the Euro's, so IMO I would have liked football to have got a low key mention amongst all this.

Your image about sour grapes suggests I am disappointed we are out of the football, and thats not the case at all. Now you've read this you've probably realised that anyway. :) As I said I wish they left baseball in the OL, a game I played until I was 44. A game that during its season has our sports media overloaded. However I have watched probably 1/2 of one inning the entire season. The fact that your tabloids /news outlets over expose the **** out of Football, should not have any effect on your proud countries participation on the OL stage. IMO

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 15:39
I still don't understand the walking event. How is walking a sport?

race aficionado
5th August 2012, 15:39
^ One of the greatest sporting evenings ever at the Olympic stadium and you lot were watching a bunch of millionaires kick a ball around. :eek:

Don't worry Dave, I record various events at the time and then select what I want to see.
And yes, Olympic stadium events are superb and exhilarating.

How much fun is this to be able to take a brake from our Earth's mess to celebrate our humanity. These athletes are an inspiration and a reminder of what we can achieve with passion, hard work and dedication.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 15:45
The GB mens football team was a team that only got together a few weeks before the start of the tournament and were unable to select the English players who played in the Euro's. And despite this they still managed to play positive football that England were too afraid to try at the Euro's and still didn't lose a game in the tournament.Precisely he same situation with the US Basketball Team. It is also why they're vulnerable.

race aficionado
5th August 2012, 15:56
Any body watching tennis?

Tazio
5th August 2012, 15:56
I still don't understand the walking event. How is walking a sport? It actually requires strength, and endurance but more importantly technique. Watch it, the walkers do everything they can to haul a$$ except have both feet off the ground at the same time.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 16:02
I do think we should have left football out of the Olympics or at least not entered ourselves. We've had so much football this year with major events and it appears to be a dominant story in British Olympic news and I think this should be about celebrating other sports. I got offered free tickets to a football match in the Millennium Stadium the other day (Friday), but I was actually glad I turned it down and watched history being made on TV instead. After just having had Wimbledon, I suppose you think that having Tennis at Wimbledon is a worthless waste of time as well :dozey: :dozey:

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 16:03
It actually requires strength, and endurance but more importantly technique. Watch it, the walkers do everything they can to haul a$$ except have both feet off the ground at the same time.

I don't doubt that it requires technique, fitness and skill but it is just the most bizarre thing to compete in. People aspire to become a champion sprinter, tennis player, cyclist etc, but champion walker?

Big Ben
5th August 2012, 16:04
http://media.rtv.net/image/201208/w620/sandra_izbasa_74156100.jpg

Gold for Romania in gymnastics :D

Tazio
5th August 2012, 16:09
I don't doubt that it requires technique, fitness and skill but it is just the most bizarre thing to compete in. People aspire to become a champion sprinter, tennis player, cyclist etc, but champion walker? I haven't followed it in a long time but it used to be dominated by Mexico, and suspect that their culture embraced it as such.(a championship sport)

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 16:14
Murray wins gold!!! :D

Tazio
5th August 2012, 16:14
Any body watching tennis?

Yes Murray bitch-slapped Federer.

race aficionado
5th August 2012, 16:24
That was indeed a royal whooping.

I for one am very happy for him and his fans.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 16:31
I didn't expect Murray to sing the national anthem, but he did. :up:

Tazio
5th August 2012, 16:34
Why Scottish separatist sentiment??

Brown, Jon Brow
5th August 2012, 16:38
Why?

He's a proud Scot and the national anthem of the UK is associated more with England than Scotland. (And the full version of God Save the Queen has the line 'Rebellious Scots to crush'.)

Tazio
5th August 2012, 16:51
He's a proud Scot and the national anthem of the UK is associated more with England than Scotland. (And the full version of God Save the Queen has the line 'Rebellious Scots to crush'.) lol it took me about 10secs to remember that. China US in Womens Roundball I really hope we spank them! :angryfire : :)

CaptainRaiden
5th August 2012, 17:10
Track and field. Finally the interesting part of Olympics (for me) has begun. :p

CaptainRaiden
5th August 2012, 17:10
Men's 100 meters finals tonight. Who wins it? Bolt, Gay or Blake?

Tazio
5th August 2012, 17:31
Bolt!! US 61 China 36 at the half

race aficionado
5th August 2012, 17:57
On this end of the pond we try to avoid Olympic results (like the 100 meter dash for example) - then we get to see a pre packaged prime time event.
We do get to see many live events during the day but definitely the time difference sucks.
It's all about the money (duh!).
I wish we could see all events live and not have to cover our eyes and ears for spoiler alerts.

That's the end of my rant.
Now I will thankfully return to my Olympic TV viewing.

Tazio
5th August 2012, 18:17
On this end of the pond we try to avoid Olympic results (like the 100 meter dash for example) - then we get to see a pre packaged prime time event.
We do get to see many live events during the day but definitely the time difference sucks.
It's all about the money (duh!).
I wish we could see all events live and not have to cover our eyes and ears for spoiler alerts.

That's the end of my rant.
Now I will thankfully return to my Olympic TV viewing.

Women's hoops US 114 China 66 :)

Tazio
5th August 2012, 19:19
+ Murray won. The Predator overpowered Azarenka with ground strokes 6-1/6-2! GB and USA are guaranteed at least silver in Singles.Yet we both took, and I emphasize took gold
:s ailor: snap!!