PDA

View Full Version : BBC vs Sky - The Story so Far

Pages : 1 [2]

Wasted Talent
23rd February 2013, 21:09
I didn't say they had adverts during the races now, I speculated about them coming in in future in relation to them going back on an earlier promise not to have the F1 channel as part of their sports package. The bottom line is if you are paying £30 or so a month for a channel, they really shouldn't be interrupted by adverts even if you could switch to an onboard camera for two minutes. That is unacceptable in the extreme, and for the sake of those of you who have bought Sky I hope it doesn't happen. I'm not bothered really just being polite. There is loads of crap on the BBC but I watch very little TV in any case, so what I do watch is being affected. I'm not really getting a return on my money and I'm considering not paying my license fee when I eventually move in to my new house as prosecution is almost impossible. I can't really agree on the 'at least we get a choice' line because I simply don't. My only choice is the BBC and its reduced coverage for half the season, with the alternative simply not being worth the price they charge. Its a no win situation for some of us.

I'm not disagreeing completely with you henners, but just consider that Sky made F1 available to it's subscribers for "free". If you were already paying for Sports or HD then when they got the rights last year the extra F1 channel was added to your viewable programming but the subs stayed the same. They have gone up recently but that is just a reflection of them having to pay more for the Premier League because BT put in a competitive bid.

I'm not saying it's perfect, far from it, but now it is possible to watch a lot of F1 in addition to the pre-existing sports coverage for £10 week. It's a personal descision if that is worth it or not. It will be possible this year to buy a daily ticket for Sky Sports for £9.99 to watch online so you could watch all the races live without adverts mixing BBC and Sky online for £100.

I am getting worried that I sound like Sky's Marketing Director and that is far from the case, believe me

WT

truefan72
24th February 2013, 03:50
Rumours spreading on the web that Georgie Thompson is being dumped from Sky.

Did a decent job for the F1 Show but won't be missed on weekends unless you're desperate to slap the salami post-race.

I will miss those tight outfits
I'm not sure that she did anything wrong, I thought her work was decent
she seemed to make an excellent partnership with Davidson

steveaki13
24th February 2013, 09:11
I will miss those tight outfits
I'm not sure that she did anything wrong, I thought her work was decent
she seemed to make an excellent partnership with Davidson

I thought she did OK too.

Lets be honest I am sure she wasn't an F1 fan before she got the gig and so didnt know anything about it, but she did all she was asked to do, she asked decent questions to ex drivers and looked interested in the answers.

Oh and I am with you on the outfits to Truefan.

henners88
25th February 2013, 08:24
As long as she doesn't end up on the BBC F1 coverage this doesn't affect me one bit. The rumour is she is joining Jake over at BT for the premiership coverage. She seems to have a knowledge of football whereas F1 was something good to go on her CV.

Dave B
25th February 2013, 09:53
Both of Sky's females are awful. Georgie always looks like she's just going through the motions of reading pre-prepared lines, and Natalie gives the impression of being more interested in shoes than tyres. They're both a county mile ahead of simpering dimwit Beverly Turner, but could both learn a lot from Lee McKenzie or even Louise Goodman, both of whom are proper motorsport journalists first and foremost.

Regarding adverts on Sky, I'd be amazed - not to mention disappointed - if they appeared during green flag running. That's simply not their MO, they don't do it with any of their other sports. They do currently drop a handful of ads into free practice, but you can still watch one of half a dozen other feeds on the red button so you don't need to miss anything.

henners88
25th February 2013, 10:25
Regarding adverts on Sky, I'd be amazed - not to mention disappointed - if they appeared during green flag running. That's simply not their MO, they don't do it with any of their other sports. They do currently drop a handful of ads into free practice, but you can still watch one of half a dozen other feeds on the red button so you don't need to miss anything.
I was only speculating on adverts because its something they promised not to do from the very start just like they promised the F1 channel would remain free as long as you took out a HD subscription. Sky don't show adverts in other sports during live coverage but in regards to football there is only 45 minutes of play before a couple of ad breaks at half time. With F1 in a continuous 2 hours and I don't think its out of the realms of possibility for them to sneak adverts in during Safety car periods or red flags. I'm not saying it would happen but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised. It doesn't affect me either way.

Mark
25th February 2013, 10:35
So what's the situation do we have a definitive answer. My brother in law who works for Sky says that F1 is part of the Sky Sports pack for new customers from this year. And for existing customers from next year.

henners88
25th February 2013, 11:41
So what's the situation do we have a definitive answer. My brother in law who works for Sky says that F1 is part of the Sky Sports pack for new customers from this year. And for existing customers from next year.
So those who initially signed up for HD just to get the F1 will lose it from next year unless they opt for sports, or did I misunderstand that?

AndyL
25th February 2013, 11:52
And for existing customers from next year.

If it's right then that sucks, but I can't say it's unexpected.

henners88
25th February 2013, 12:03
I'm sure many fans will stump up the extra £21 a month for the sports pack just like many will also leave.

Mark
25th February 2013, 16:06
We don't have anything except hearsay as we don't have the official info from Sky.

Dave B
25th February 2013, 17:50
I doubt that even the decision makers at Sky have definitive plans for 2014 yet, so I'd take that hearsay with a pinch of salt. I reckon it hinges on what the BBC do and the terms of the new Concorde agreement. If a FTA clause remains once the BBC's contract expires (or they get bored) then Sky may either keep the F1 channel free or subcontract some races out to other broadcasters for a healthy fee.

However if - as increasingly likely - Concorde no longer contains such a clause then I suspect Sky will fully incorporate their F1 coverage into their premium sports lineup. If the teams are getting an increased share of the TV money then the certain drop in UK viewing figures won't be an issue for them, especially if they're seeing an uplift in viewers in emerging markets. As consumers we'll either suck it and pay the money, or find (ahem) other ways of watching.

Mark
25th February 2013, 19:19
I find it hard to believe there won't be at least some F1 on FTA even just highlights.

If it were all on Sky Sports it would be difficult for me as I don't want to pay yet can I run an F1 forum without ever watching F1?!

henners88
25th February 2013, 19:30
I find it hard to believe there won't be at least some F1 on FTA even just highlights.

If it were all on Sky Sports it would be difficult for me as I don't want to pay yet can I run an F1 forum without ever watching F1?!
If F1 disappears off FTA television I won't have any need for an F1 forum either. I won't be going to silly efforts to watch illegally and I certainly won't be paying silly amounts to Sky. They are about to build a race track within a few miles of my house so I'll find an alternative form of motorsport to watch. I think the sad truth is places like this will be dead if the F1 goes off TV completely.

Dave B
25th February 2013, 22:52
I won't be going to silly efforts to watch illegally and I certainly won't be paying silly amounts to Sky.
Silly efforts? Last year the visiting in-laws wanted to watch a Premiership match that wasn't even on Sky and it took, ooh, nearly 10 seconds to have it on the TV in reasonable picture quality and with English commentary, albeit with a heavy middle-eastern accent ;)

EuroTroll
26th February 2013, 05:18
I won't be going to silly efforts to watch illegally and I certainly won't be paying silly amounts to Sky

Is there no option in the UK of watching it on RTL? Their race coverage is pretty good, albeit littered with ads. Gives one the opportunity to do a bit of language learning as well. ;)

henners88
26th February 2013, 07:51
Silly efforts? Last year the visiting in-laws wanted to watch a Premiership match that wasn't even on Sky and it took, ooh, nearly 10 seconds to have it on the TV in reasonable picture quality and with English commentary, albeit with a heavy middle-eastern accent ;)
Well if it really is that easy then I may ask your advice then Dave :)
Having said that I've had access to Sky for the past year on my laptop and only used it maybe 3 times. I like to watch delayed rather than live if given the choice.

Is there no option in the UK of watching it on RTL? Their race coverage is pretty good, albeit littered with ads. Gives one the opportunity to do a bit of language learning as well. ;)
I know a couple of people who bought dishes from B&Q for around a 100 quid and receive RTL whilst listening to 5Live coverage. The other hurdle I have is my wife who doesn't like the thought of a satellite dish on the outside of our house. I'd rather use the internet if possible. :)

SGWilko
26th February 2013, 10:01

No one (in their right mind) would consider you making the right choice - based on financials - for you and your family. That we have such a forum is a benefit, and no-one will think any less of the administrator if he does not pay through the nose just for the benefit of watching F1 live.

henners88
26th February 2013, 10:14
No one (in their right mind) would consider you making the right choice - based on financials - for you and your family. That we have such a forum is a benefit, and no-one will think any less of the administrator if he does not pay through the nose just for the benefit of watching F1 live.
He may not be interested in hosting a forum if it gets to that though that's the danger. I doubt I would want to monitor a forum and pay out money to host the site just so others can continue to talk about a sport I used to watch. Lets hope Sky are forced to drop the coverage through lack of interest in a few years and it can get back on TV properly. We all know Sky do a decent job, but its not a healthy option for keeping the sport popular for future generations. Fingers crossed they see sense and soon.

26th February 2013, 14:00
you missed out on the Virgin media package available here in the UK.I must add im on Virgin and it stinks at £22 to be able to watch F1 per month, over twice what it would cost on sky. I wont be subscribing as I have other sports to do on sundays so when i get home I will watch the hightlights on BBC.

wedge
26th February 2013, 17:59
Both of Sky's females are awful. Georgie always looks like she's just going through the motions of reading pre-prepared lines, and Natalie gives the impression of being more interested in shoes than tyres. They're both a county mile ahead of simpering dimwit Beverly Turner, but could both learn a lot from Lee McKenzie or even Louise Goodman, both of whom are proper motorsport journalists first and foremost.

Natalie did a rather good job for 5live but to on Sky she seems desperate at times to get her interviews aired.

Georgie is next to useless on raceday. Why on earth do you need a presenter for analysis? Saying that she presented A1GP but whethe she was any good I don't know.

Holly Samos was undoubtedly the best of the females.

27th February 2013, 06:55
you missed out on the Virgin media package available here in the UK. I must add im on Virgin and it stinks at £22 to be able to watch F1 per month, over twice what it would cost on sky. I wont be subscribing as I have other sports to do on sundays so when i get home I will watch the hightlights on BBC.

Dave B
28th February 2013, 20:26
The final test will be live on Sky: Sky Sports to show final Formula 1 test live in 3D - Grapevine - F1 - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/105439)
I watched some of the testing coverage today. Sky handled it like a practice session: Croft commentating with guests including Paul Hembrey, Adrian Sutil, and Johnny Herbert; Ted in the pitlane. It was quite informal in tone, and interspersed with driver interviews. Obviously the coverage wasn't up to FOM standards: there were no onboards, less trackside cameras and only the most basic timing, but overall it was a useful programme. It's on for the next three days at 2pm UK time if anybody's interested (and I suspect the viewing figures will reflect that very few are!).

Wasted Talent
28th February 2013, 20:31
I watched some of the testing coverage today. Sky handled it like a practice session: Croft commentating with guests including Paul Hembrey, Adrian Sutil, and Johnny Herbert; Ted in the pitlane. It was quite informal in tone, and interspersed with driver interviews. Obviously the coverage wasn't up to FOM standards: there were no onboards, less trackside cameras and only the most basic timing, but overall it was a useful programme. It's on for the next three days at 2pm UK time if anybody's interested (and I suspect the viewing figures will reflect that very few are!).

I watched some of it too, and listened to it whilst doing other things. The interviews were good, and relevant, as you say it was pretty much like a FP session but with extras. I agree that the viewing figures will be minimal but I doubt that will worry them too much, it is just part of Sky's in-depth coverage.

WT

steveaki13
28th February 2013, 21:10
I wanted to watch it but I had to work.

Will try and catch it on Saturday & Sunday

Natalie.S
28th February 2013, 23:42
Just watched it and must say I enjoyed it very much.
Finally Sky is making the extra effort that the little extra money every month deserves
Will watch the 3D tomorrow, should be fun :)

wedge
1st March 2013, 14:09
BBC 5live F1 preview - 77mins feat. Gary Anderson, Perry McCarthy, James Allen in depth McLaren tour.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/cff1/cff1_20130228-2127a.mp3

(available for next 30 days)

teamleader
3rd March 2013, 16:55
In my country (the Netherlands) the wil not show the races on tv anymore if iam correct.....
so iam forced to watch it on BBC or somewhere else :(

Does any1 know how manny races BBC wil broadcast? OR other free to watch channels in Europe

Natalie.S
3rd March 2013, 18:26
The races are shown on pay TV in The Netherlands but if you don't want to pay then RTL Germany would be your best bet.
It's littered with commercials so you'll miss some 20 minutes of the race but it's free

BBC only cover 9 races live this year but you can always watch the highlights if BBC 2 is available there.

teamleader
3rd March 2013, 19:56
Yeah in the past i swapped during commercials between , RTL 7 (Dutch TV) a Belgian channel and RTL Germany.
But yeah now allot of channel are Pay tv nowadays.... its a shame.. Bernie asks to much money... old #$%!@.

My last option wil be downloading the full race but thats a day later, and u need to be carefull not to see the results online or tv :D

Natalie.S
3rd March 2013, 21:02
It's how sport on TV will be in future
If you want to see it Live, in full with all options you'll have to pay
If you won't or can't pay it will be highlights or delayed

I'd rather pay 40 euro/pound a month than sit through crappy RTL commercial breaks for 20 minutes a race

Also don't worry about waiting a day for downloading a race
There are several sites where one can find it an hour after ;)

donKey jote
3rd March 2013, 21:17
I'm in Germany and I avoid RTL like the pest :p
:andrea:

steveaki13
3rd March 2013, 21:39
After all that waiting I was busy most of the weekend and saw only a bit of Pre Season Testing, but never the less it was an interesting trial. As Sky charge for F1 and have a channel I believe they could show a stream of all day everyday and maybe just have commentary an hour at the start, an hour after lunch and the final hour.

They dont need to worry about figures as it should be part of the pacakge.

Oh well now Testings over it means only one thing. F1 is only 2 weeks away.

henners88
4th March 2013, 09:16
I watched about half an hour of testing yesterday round the in laws before dinner. I can see why it wouldn't get too many viewers as its not exactly the most exciting part of the sport and think you have to be pretty die-hard to watch the whole thing. I suppose its nice to have the option, but I don't think its getting limited viewers simply because Sky are showing it. If the BBC broadcast full testing coverage it would undoubtedly get more viewers, but it wouldn't break any records IMO. Its testing and on the whole its rather dull. If ever there is a need for a highlights program its for testing.

steveaki13
4th March 2013, 18:11
I watched about half an hour of testing yesterday round the in laws before dinner. I can see why it wouldn't get too many viewers as its not exactly the most exciting part of the sport and think you have to be pretty die-hard to watch the whole thing. I suppose its nice to have the option, but I don't think its getting limited viewers simply because Sky are showing it. If the BBC broadcast full testing coverage it would undoubtedly get more viewers, but it wouldn't break any records IMO. Its testing and on the whole its rather dull. If ever there is a need for a highlights program its for testing.

I dont think its something they need put much effort into. Sky send people to the tests anyway, so just run a stream of it and those who wish too can dip in and out to see how testing is going. They have an F1 channel so they may as well use it.

acescribe
6th March 2013, 14:23
Allan McNish joins BBC Radio 5 Live Formula 1 coverage - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105866)

Interesting that the BBC have done done the BBC2 thing when they could have and should have right from 2009.

Mixed feelings about the practice not being online any more (when 'live') ? I have Skygo that I can sneak on at work, but millions who may have otherwise have had the practice on in the background don't!

henners88
6th March 2013, 14:38
Mixed feelings about the practice not being online any more (when 'live') ? I have Skygo that I can sneak on at work, but millions who may have otherwise have had the practice on in the background don't!
Can you not record the sessions and watch them as soon as you get home? Its not like anything can be spoilt with a practice session but it is a pain not to be able to watch at work for you. I don't tend to watch many practise sessions but I think its positive that they've been moved off the red button and onto a mainstream channel. Obviously I'm aware channel 301 (I think) on freeview showed red button coverage in channel form in previous years.

McNish is a good signing by the Beeb, he was very good on Sky and many wanted Sky to snap him up but I suppose they have Davidson. They are welcome to Anthony.

acescribe
6th March 2013, 15:59
Can you not record the sessions and watch them as soon as you get home?
McNish is a good signing by the Beeb, he was very good on Sky and many wanted Sky to snap him up but I suppose they have Davidson. They are welcome to Anthony.

Of course.

But, you miss my point a bit - sitting watching 90 minutes x 2 of practice on a Friday evening is hardly my idea of fun, when procrastinating at work is with it in a window on my screen is ;-)

Yes, BBC Radio coverage will be good with McNish, amazing how often I find myself with that on somewhere whilst the GP is on. It really did not work with Alguersuari last year.

henners88
6th March 2013, 16:54
I understood your point but perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. I used have practise on in the background occasionally when working, but it was more listening than watching for me. I also can't think of anything worse than getting home and watching two practise sessions back to back when it's simply cars going round and round. I doubt I'd be allowed to do that either considering I watch the GP on the Sunday evening usually much to my partners dismay.. :)

steveaki13
6th March 2013, 17:26
I like Anthony Davidson. Ever since he made his debut for Minardi.

henners88
6th March 2013, 17:42
Its also worth noting that the Beeb have signed Tom Clarkson as pit lane reporter alongside Lee. It'll be interesting to see how Suzi takes to the role as main presenter, but Tom is accomplished before he's started IMO. Having been disappointed Jake was leaving it looks like once again the Beeb have a strong line up. Roll on Australia.

steveaki13
6th March 2013, 19:13
Its also worth noting that the Beeb have signed Tom Clarkson as pit lane reporter alongside Lee. It'll be interesting to see how Suzi takes to the role as main presenter, but Tom is accomplished before he's started IMO. Having been disappointed Jake was leaving it looks like once again the Beeb have a strong line up. Roll on Australia.

I might sound like an egit, but who is Tom Clarkson

rjbetty
6th March 2013, 19:40

Oh that must be Tom Clarkson who used to write for F1 Racing when I used to get it every month (back in 99-2000).

Was never sure at the time whether I felt he was good or pompous... :)

steveaki13
6th March 2013, 20:34
Oh that must be Tom Clarkson who used to write for F1 Racing when I used to get it every month (back in 99-2000).

Was never sure at the time whether I felt he was good or pompous... :)

Ah. Thanks very much.

Well I am sure he can do a decent job.

henners88
7th March 2013, 10:38

Tom filled in for Lee during the Olympics as Lee was filling in for Jake whilst he covered the Olympics. He was very good and knowledgeable as an established F1 writer in his own right.

Zico
7th March 2013, 18:23
The cost of watching F1 on Sky in the UK will rise to £510 per season next month.

On April 9th the Sky F1 channel will become part of the Sky Sports package which costs £21 per month on top of a £21.50 per month Sky subscription (excluding offers), with a minimum 12-month contract.

The F1 channel is currently part of the HD pack which costs £381 per year (discounted to £349.50 at present). Existing Sky customers who receive the F1 channel through the HD pack will continue to do so after the move. According to Sky, 4.5 million subscribers have the HD pack.

Sky is also planning to offer on-demand access to Sky Sports via its Now TV streaming website. This service, which does not require a Sky contract, will offer 24 hours’ access to Sky Sports, including the F1 channel, for £9.99.

Nine of this year’s nineteen races will be shown on free-to-air television in the UK. All the rounds are being shown on Sky.

Sky F1 channel price rising to £510 per season in the UK - F1 Fanatic (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/07/sky-f1-channel-price-rise-on-demand-now-tv-stream/)

What a huge increase!, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised.... and 24 hours access to Sky Sports via TV streaming for £9.99 is cut price? :/

christophulus
7th March 2013, 20:38
I think we all knew that was coming. My guess now is that they'll be showing adverts during the races after next season.

acescribe
8th March 2013, 09:09
As if/when they take it off of the HD pack - which is not for this year, but who knows for next, that will be the end of my Sky subscription. I wouldnt have signed up just for sport/F1 anyway, simply had a deal to get an HD box and pack already.

Simply cannot justify that kind of money in these times of austerity and prices rising on everything, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I wonder how many there are who have F1 on the HD pack but NOT the Sports?

Mark
8th March 2013, 09:21

Well I'm one of them. If F1 were to disappear for HD only subscribers I would also look into cancelling my HD sub too.

henners88
8th March 2013, 09:41
Sky F1 channel price rising to £510 per season in the UK - F1 Fanatic (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/07/sky-f1-channel-price-rise-on-demand-now-tv-stream/)
What a huge increase!, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised.... and 24 hours access to Sky Sports via TV streaming for £9.99 is cut price? :/
I think the rise is also a good thing though. Its made any future decisions for me and many others who have looked into the financial means of possibly getting the channel a foregone conclusion. It was a stretch as it was but now its moved completely out of reach. Sky have not confirmed whether existing HD customers will be able to receive the channel without the Sports pack beyond the end of 2013 either. I would imagine if it means customers are suddenly made to pay significantly more, you'll see yet another dramatic drop in Sky's F1 audience as there will be a percentage who will not pay extra. I don't think this makes any difference to Sky because they have the coverage and at the moment its affordable for them, how many people who are watching doesn't matter. It needs the sport and sponsors to care really for an decision to be made IMO. If Sky's audience drops from their 700k average per race to say 400k, you have to ask yourself whether Sky will spend as much money on delivering the coverage to fans? At the moment they are spending huge amounts trying out new things with a large presenting team. If they can see their rivals the BBC pulling in 5 times their audience on a fraction of the budget, are they going to continue maximum effort in the long term? Who knows but I think having such a popular sport on pay TV with full coverage knowing that several million are watching a cut down version elsewhere is always going to end badly. The overall audience is down 3 million after just one year, let see what the effects will be in 3 years time.

I would imagine most of your average Sky F1 audience are not full sports subscribers. Obviously that's just an opinion but there was a poll not so long ago elsewhere hinting at this. I don't think any of my friends who watch F1 on Sky have the Sports pack to go with it? Most of them are my age and if they are spending extra for a package, its most likely the entertainment pack for their children.

Mark
8th March 2013, 09:52
I think if you did a survey of Sports pack customers and asked what the which sport was the main reason they subscribed, I would be very surprised if the results were less than 99% for football.

AndyL
8th March 2013, 11:48
Well I'm one of them. If F1 were to disappear for HD only subscribers I would also look into cancelling my HD sub too.

I've been trying to work out what I would lose by doing that, it's not very clear on the Sky web site. Apparently there is no subscription cost for Sky+ now, so I wouldn't lose that (they may have made a mistake there, to me Sky+ is easily worth the £10 a month extra on its own). However Eurosport is now not in the £21 a month package, it's in the £26 "extra" package, so if I wanted to keep that it looks like I would have to downgrade to extra and only save £5 a month. I'd rate HD generally worth £5 a month so right now I wouldn't downgrade even if they killed Sky Sports F1 tomorrow. Of course things will probably be different again in a year.

henners88
8th March 2013, 12:09
Do Sky customers who don't pay for the HD pack receive any of the FTA HD channels like freeview customers do? I think I already know the answer to the question, but why are free channels not available on their own when other provides don't lump them in with a premium package? I can understand Sky HD channels being on a premium but not free ones.

Mark
8th March 2013, 12:58
I'm not entirely sure, if you look up this question you get a range of answers, and Sky want to make it as difficult as possible to find out.

tbh on my TV while the HD pictures look slightly better most of the time you can't tell the difference so I'd happily save the £120 a year I'm paying and just have SD, as long as I kept all the other features.

yodasarmpit
8th March 2013, 13:23
The cost of watching F1 on Sky in the UK will rise to £510 per season next month.

On April 9th the Sky F1 channel will become part of the Sky Sports package which costs £21 per month on top of a £21.50 per month Sky subscription (excluding offers), with a minimum 12-month contract.

The F1 channel is currently part of the HD pack which costs £381 per year (discounted to £349.50 at present). Existing Sky customers who receive the F1 channel through the HD pack will continue to do so after the move. According to Sky, 4.5 million subscribers have the HD pack.

Sky is also planning to offer on-demand access to Sky Sports via its Now TV streaming website. This service, which does not require a Sky contract, will offer 24 hours’ access to Sky Sports, including the F1 channel, for £9.99.

Nine of this year’s nineteen races will be shown on free-to-air television in the UK. All the rounds are being shown on Sky.

As of yet no one from Sky has confirmed this, in fact Sky are still advertising it being available via the HD package with no need to subscribe to the Sports package.

If I'm proven wrong then so be it, but I have yet to see a single reliable source for this story.

yodasarmpit
8th March 2013, 13:27
Do Sky customers who don't pay for the HD pack receive any of the FTA HD channels like freeview customers do? I think I already know the answer to the question, but why are free channels not available on their own when other provides don't lump them in with a premium package? I can understand Sky HD channels being on a premium but not free ones.
Quite easy to find out, click the link HD Pack - Watch Sky TV Channels in high definition - Join Sky today (http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/high-definition/)

AndyL
8th March 2013, 14:19

Some (the main ones) but possibly not all. Sky's info seems to suggest the HD versions of E4, More4 and ITV2/3/4 are not FTA on Sky.

AndyL
8th March 2013, 14:21
As of yet no one from Sky has confirmed this, in fact Sky are still advertising it being available via the HD package with no need to subscribe to the Sports package.

If I'm proven wrong then so be it, but I have yet to see a single reliable source for this story.

Yes just looking on the Sky web site, they are still advertising that you will get Sky Sports F1 if you take out the Entertainment Extra pack plus HD. Sky Sports not required.

henners88
8th March 2013, 15:54

Sky have confirmed that as of April 9th 2013 the F1 channel will move to the Sky Sports package for new customers only. Those who have the HD and have the channel already will not be affected. What they haven't confirmed is how long the channel will be available to HD customers who don't pay for the Sports Package.

There is plenty of info on this, here is one example:

Sky combines HD and 3D in new basic TV package: UPDATED - Recombu (http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-combines-hd-and-3d-in-new-basic-tv-package_M11199.html)

Quite easy to find out, click the link HD Pack - Watch Sky TV Channels in high definition - Join Sky today (http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/high-definition/)
That link does not answer the question I asked. The advert shows what you get when you take out the HD pack, it does not explain if you get FTA HD channels that other providers provide free of charge. If you don't have the HD pack can you watch BBC 1 HD, no you can't as they restrict you to a SD broadcast. I've just tried this on my father in-laws Sky box. When you click on BBC 1 HD it asks you to upgrade. I think for the money you are paying, you should get free HD channels as paid for in your license fee as standard.

AndyL
8th March 2013, 16:11
Some (the main ones) but possibly not all. Sky's info seems to suggest the HD versions of E4, More4 and ITV2/3/4 are not FTA on Sky.

I should add that of course you need a Sky HD box, which you would either have to pay full price for, or you would have got "free" or cheap if you were previously a Sky HD subscriber for a year.

And I was thinking of someone who is no longer a Sky subscriber (making their box and card effectively a "Freesat from Sky" box), rather than someone who is still a Sky subscriber but not on HD.

henners88
8th March 2013, 16:20
I've just checked further and some of the FTA HD channels like 'Channel 5 HD' do play but are not being broadcast in HD it seems. Its standard definition and the picture is not crisp at all. BBC Wales HD also plays in SD, so perhaps Sky limit the transmission rather than the channels not showing up?

Its also worth adding that not everything shown on these channels is broadcast in HD. I shall test it again later.

yodasarmpit
8th March 2013, 16:27
Sky have confirmed that as of April 9th 2013 the F1 channel will move to the Sky Sports package for new customers only. Those who have the HD and have the channel already will not be affected. What they haven't confirmed is how long the channel will be available to HD customers who don't pay for the Sports Package.

There is plenty of info on this, here is one example:

Sky combines HD and 3D in new basic TV package: UPDATED - Recombu (http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-combines-hd-and-3d-in-new-basic-tv-package_M11199.html)

Where is the reliable source, nothing there that I can see - all I can see is the same story regurgitated around the web without a link to Sky or named Sky source.

That link does not answer the question I asked. The advert shows what you get when you take out the HD pack, it does not explain if you get FTA HD channels that other providers provide free of charge. If you don't have the HD pack can you watch BBC 1 HD, no you can't as they restrict you to a SD broadcast. I've just tried this on my father in-laws Sky box. When you click on BBC 1 HD it asks you to upgrade. I think for the money you are paying, you should get free HD channels as paid for in your license fee as standard.

If you scroll down to "What can you watch in HD" and select "Non Subscription" you get the answer.

henners88
8th March 2013, 16:42
Where is the reliable source, nothing there that I can see - all I can see is the same story regurgitated around the web without a link to Sky or named Sky source.
Sky are very unclear with their advertising at present. They are advertising that you can watch F1 with the HD pack but suggest this offer ends on March 31st 2013. They are careful what they are saying will happen after that date but the national press seem to be under the assumption the changes are how we are predicting here. The fact Sky are not trying to silence the rumours or clarify it should it be wrong is quite telling I think. There are too many usually reliable sources reporting these changes for it to be rubbished IMO. I'm not saying its 100% correct, but its a view I share at this stage.

If you scroll down to "What can you watch in HD" and select "Non Subscription" you get the answer.
Excellent, there's my answer. :up:

Mark
8th March 2013, 16:46
There was some suggestion that the Sky+ functionality (and perhaps On Demand too) would cease if you stopped subscribing to HD. Of course I would still be subscribing to Sky, just not HD :s

henners88
8th March 2013, 16:52
There was some suggestion that the Sky+ functionality (and perhaps On Demand too) would cease if you stopped subscribing to HD. Of course I would still be subscribing to Sky, just not HD :s
What so if you no longer subscribe to HD they may disable your box so that you can no longer record to its hard drive through Sky+? Obviously nothing being announced this is just theoretical question.

AndyL
8th March 2013, 17:09

It used to be that the Sky+ functionality cost you £10 a month if you were on a basic package, or was free if you were on HD, Sky Sports or Movies. It seems now it's free on all packages so you wouldn't lose it if you just dropped back to a standard subscription. But of course you would if you stopped subscribing altogether.

henners88
8th March 2013, 17:13
It used to be that the Sky+ functionality cost you £10 a month if you were on a basic package, or was free if you were on HD, Sky Sports or Movies. It seems now it's free on all packages so you wouldn't lose it if you just dropped back to a standard subscription. But of course you would if you stopped subscribing altogether.
That sounds about right as of course Sky+ when it first came out was quite original as none of its rivals offered it at the time. Now most freeview boxes allow the viewer to record and set series links so its a standard feature offered by all.

Wasted Talent
8th March 2013, 17:42
I've just checked further and some of the FTA HD channels like 'Channel 5 HD' do play but are not being broadcast in HD it seems. Its standard definition and the picture is not crisp at all. BBC Wales HD also plays in SD, so perhaps Sky limit the transmission rather than the channels not showing up?

Its also worth adding that not everything shown on these channels is broadcast in HD. I shall test it again later.

Not sure as to the actual situation but when went back to Sky last year (I subscribed until 3 years ago then stopped) part of the offer was getting the Sky+ box and the dual DMB antenna etc all fitted.

I don't pay anything to Sky for HD (and so don't get it on their channels) but I do get BBC1/2 HD and I suppose others but never checked, and the installer said even if I ended my subsciption I would retain the HD service for the freeview channels that come via the Sky satellite.

I agree £510 does sound, and is, a lot of money, but it is still less than £10 a week and if you do watch sports other than F1 it is a justifiable amount

WT

Dave B
8th March 2013, 18:00
Yes, both the BBC channels and their regional variants, ITV1, Channel 4 and 5, and several others. ITV2,3 and 4 HD need a sub but they're not on Freeview HD anyway.

I have F1 by dint of having the HD pack but no other sports, so if Sky do move that way in the future I'll do what I always do and threaten to cancel - I've had several free boxes and upgrades over the years courtesy of that tactic.

henners88
8th March 2013, 18:02
I agree £510 does sound, and is, a lot of money, but it is still less than £10 a week and if you do watch sports other than F1 it is a justifiable amount

WT
'If' indeed for some people I'm sure. Even if I did watch other sports as well as F1 it would still be out of my reach. Its only a justifiable amount if the person has the spare cash in the first place. Plus I haven't seen Sky with Sports advertised for less than £40 p/m which is what you are suggesting here. If I didn't have a full time job, a mortgage, a car and a hefty commute to work every day, I might be able to afford Sky. Sadly we are not as rich as many would like us to believe.

henners88
8th March 2013, 18:06
I have F1 by dint of having the HD pack but no other sports, so if Sky do move that way in the future I'll do what I always do and threaten to cancel - I've had several free boxes and upgrades over the years courtesy of that tactic.
That tactic is not working as much as it used to. My father threatened to cancel his Sports Pack on two occasions when Sky upped his direct debit price by a silly amount without telling him and they bent over backwards to reduce prices and offer so many months half price etc. He threatened to cancel recently and they said 'no problem'. I've seen quite a few people online saying Sky aren't quite as generous as they used to be as this tactic was becoming the norm. Obviously its different for everybody and may depend who you speak to, but I doubt you'll get a significant discount.

Dave B
8th March 2013, 21:02
That tactic is not working as much as it used to. My father threatened to cancel his Sports Pack on two occasions when Sky upped his direct debit price by a silly amount without telling him and they bent over backwards to reduce prices and offer so many months half price etc. He threatened to cancel recently and they said 'no problem'. I've seen quite a few people online saying Sky aren't quite as generous as they used to be as this tactic was becoming the norm. Obviously its different for everybody and may depend who you speak to, but I doubt you'll get a significant discount.
The trick is to make sure you know rivals' prices inside out so you can make a credible threat. Also be prepared to follow through with it: I've given notice and been called up by the retentions team just before the 30 days ran out.

On a different note, there are classic Australian GPs every evening this week at 8:30, starting on Saturday with 1994.

steveaki13
8th March 2013, 21:37
No suprise, but another nail in the coffin of F1 in the UK.

As I have said before I have sky already as I love Football & Cricket so now get F1 as well, but really Sky are going to kill F1 in the UK.

I hope somehow hope F1 can return to BBC one day.

Dave B
9th March 2013, 09:47
TV Catchup will let you watch the BBC practice sessions online or on mobile. They lost a court case, as expected, but for the moment are still operating. :)

Knock-on
9th March 2013, 16:36
Well, Mr Walker is doing extended coverage this year. I look forward to hearing him. I think he's also reviewing some of his favourite historic races :)

steveaki13
9th March 2013, 18:19
That will be interesting. What sort of stuff will he be doing?

Knock-on
9th March 2013, 19:41
Hasn't it been released :confused: whoops

Can someone delete my post please if I've spoken out of turn.

Wasted Talent
9th March 2013, 19:50
Hasn't it been released :confused: whoops

Can someone delete my post please if I've spoken out of turn.

No. I have seen it elsewhere that MW will be doing some retrospective stuff

WT

Dave B
9th March 2013, 21:55
The BBC announced it a few days back but it wasn't exactly a secret.

Knock-on
10th March 2013, 12:19
The BBC announced it a few days back but it wasn't exactly a secret.

I never said it was a secret but would rather not post something by mistake when it hasn't been oficially released. But, now it's out there, it's OK :)

BDunnell
10th March 2013, 22:44
Well, Mr Walker is doing extended coverage this year. I look forward to hearing him. I think he's also reviewing some of his favourite historic races :)

In his 90th birthday year, no less.

steveaki13
11th March 2013, 20:40
Currantly watching the 2003 Australian GP on Sky F1.

It was a crazy Race

Dave B
11th March 2013, 21:11
Currantly watching the 2003 Australian GP on Sky F1.

It was a crazy Race
Same here. Cristiano Da Matta, Ralph Firman, Justin Wilson... it seems like a lifetime ago! And they're talking about Barrichello being "inexperienced"!

steveaki13
11th March 2013, 22:15
Same here. Cristiano Da Matta, Ralph Firman, Justin Wilson... it seems like a lifetime ago! And they're talking about Barrichello being "inexperienced"!

Justin Wilson was king for the first laps.

Ralph did a great job in Spain.

Da Matta lead the British GP for 20 odd laps

So many memories. It was one of my top 5 seasons since watching F1.

rjbetty
11th March 2013, 22:51

It still seems very recent to me. I remember it all very well. I remember the result of the top of my head
1.Coulthard - 11th on grid
2.Montoya - started 3rd - spun at turn 2 near end
3.Raikkonen - 15th - had to make extra pit
4.M.Schumacher - Pole - scrappy race
5.Trulli - 12th
6.Frentzen - 4th
7.Alonso - 10th - lost out after early damp
8.R.Schumacher - 9th - much worse than Schu Sr
9.Villeneuve - 6th
10.Button - 8th - furious about Villeneuve's alleged mind-games, holding up in pits a la Alonso.

Rubens was the first retirement crashing at turn 5 on lap 5. Blamed the new HANS device. Fisichella and Verstappen retired near the end.
:D

Also I was watching a bit of the 1995 Australian GP on youtube and found it quite amazing that that season is now 18 years ago!

steveaki13
11th March 2013, 23:21
It still seems very recent to me. I remember it all very well. I remember the result of the top of my head
1.Coulthard - 11th on grid
2.Montoya - started 3rd - spun at turn 2 near end
3.Raikkonen - 15th - had to make extra pit
4.M.Schumacher - Pole - scrappy race
5.Trulli - 12th
6.Frentzen - 4th
7.Alonso - 10th - lost out after early damp
8.R.Schumacher - 9th - much worse than Schu Sr
9.Villeneuve - 6th
10.Button - 8th - furious about Villeneuve's alleged mind-games, holding up in pits a la Alonso.

Rubens was the first retirement crashing at turn 5 on lap 5. Blamed the new HANS device. Fisichella and Verstappen retired near the end.
:D

Also I was watching a bit of the 1995 Australian GP on youtube and found it quite amazing that that season is now 18 years ago!

Or you were just watcing it like us. ;)

Seriously though that is great recall, Schumacher also had all the barge boards falling off his car.

henners88
12th March 2013, 08:27
The BBC's season preview show for anyone interested.

BBC Radio 5 live - 5 live Formula 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007m6lj)

Mark
12th March 2013, 09:42

I still have that on video somewhere, I've watched it many times!

Mark
12th March 2013, 14:05
I've just noticed that the BBC isn't covering Monaco live this year :(

henners88
12th March 2013, 14:10
I've just noticed that the BBC isn't covering Monaco live this year :(
I don't think that's a particularly bad thing Mark. Highlights for that race will cut out a lot of the dead laps and with Monaco there's usually plenty. Monaco is usually a race which I fast forward through a little when watching delayed anyway.

rjbetty
12th March 2013, 15:41
Or you were just watcing it like us. ;)

Seriously though that is great recall, Schumacher also had all the barge boards falling off his car..

Noooo I don't have Sky. :D
If you think that's good, I can recall further back in even more detail. The above post was entirely from memory, though Alonso and Trulli may have started 12th and 10th rather than the other way round? I also get mixed up with qualifying 1 where Alonso and Trulli were 9th and 10th, both making mistakes at turn 1. I remember quali 1 so clearly cos I was so excited watching it at the time. :D

I really can be a nerd sometimes. :)

Dave B
12th March 2013, 18:42
I don't think that's a particularly bad thing Mark. Highlights for that race will cut out a lot of the dead laps and with Monaco there's usually plenty. Monaco is usually a race which I fast forward through a little when watching delayed anyway.
I agree, actually, even though it's sacrilegious to say it. Monaco is an awful racing circuit kept alive only because of history and vanity. If Tilke drew up a similar track in a desert somewhere, he'd be carted off to a rubber room and not allowed to use adult cutlery until he'd calmed down a bit.

Dave B
12th March 2013, 18:43

Noooo I don't have Sky. :D
If you think that's good, I can recall further back in even more detail. The above post was entirely from memory, though Alonso and Trulli may have started 12th and 10th rather than the other way round? I also get mixed up with qualifying 1 where Alonso and Trulli were 9th and 10th, both making mistakes at turn 1. I remember quali 1 so clearly cos I was so excited watching it at the time. :D

I really can be a nerd sometimes. :)
You are Karun Chandhok and I claim my five pounds. :p

rjbetty
12th March 2013, 20:09
I agree, actually, even though it's sacrilegious to say it. Monaco is an awful racing circuit kept alive only because of history and vanity. If Tilke drew up a similar track in a desert somewhere, he'd be carted off to a rubber room and not allowed to use adult cutlery until he'd calmed down a bit.

In recent years I can understand why people might feel like this. I've fallen out of love with the circuit to a significant degree since the 2003 changes. This is very sad because actually, the Monte Carlo circuit is the reason I got into F1 in the first place in 1997.

I actually don't much enjoy driving it on F1 2011 because now it's all about aiming for the kerbs (some even seem painted), like driving in a car park. The wall has been taken out of St Devote - This allowed Vettel to cut past a load of cars at the start of the 2012 race. If the wall had been there, either Seb would have had to retire or he would have had to queue up properly along with everyone else. As it turned out, this corner cut surely allowed Sebastian to secure a result that in retrospect won him last year's title...

rjbetty
12th March 2013, 20:19
You are Karun Chandhok and I claim my five pounds. :p

Haha I've actually never got to hear the famous Chandhok. So is he a walking encyclopedia?

Ok I want to try a challenge for everyone. If one of you say a year for any race in Melbourne, between 1996-2012. I'll see if I can remember the full grid and race result, without Google or anything else, just from memory!

(This is the second driver to my knowledge I have been accused of being, following Matthew Wilson. Wonder how many more I can get. :p )

EDIT: Any year except 2008 and 2009 cos I didn't watch F1 at that time.

IceWizard
12th March 2013, 22:11
Agreed, with virtually no overtaking the best thing about Monaco is the odd crash for which the highlights will be fine. Not having Monaco live means that the likes of Montreal, Spa, Monza and Suzuka are all live on BBC, the four best tracks on the calendar for me.

steveaki13
13th March 2013, 07:34
Haha I've actually never got to hear the famous Chandhok. So is he a walking encyclopedia?

Ok I want to try a challenge for everyone. If one of you say a year for any race in Melbourne, between 1996-2012. I'll see if I can remember the full grid and race result, without Google or anything else, just from memory!

(This is the second driver to my knowledge I have been accused of being, following Matthew Wilson. Wonder how many more I can get. :p )

EDIT: Any year except 2008 and 2009 cos I didn't watch F1 at that time.

Australia 2002

henners88
13th March 2013, 08:20
Agreed, with virtually no overtaking the best thing about Monaco is the odd crash for which the highlights will be fine. Not having Monaco live means that the likes of Montreal, Spa, Monza and Suzuka are all live on BBC, the four best tracks on the calendar for me.
Indeed, and if you factor in that there is a fair chance that race will have a safety car period, you've got got the best part of the race in highlight form. Monaco seems to be perceived as the jewel in the calendar but that may be because it pulls in extra casual viewers who might not tune in at any other time. The glitz and glamour attract. The TV companies can fight all they like about Monaco, but I'd be more than happy to keep Monaco as highlights for the coming years and have a much better race live instead. Its nice having Canada back this year IMO.

For some reason I had it in my head that the Australian GP was next weekend rather than this one coming! As it turns out we have no plans this weekend and it looks like I'll be able to watch it during the day. I could actually watch it on Sky this weekend due to where I am staying, but then again its a new line up on the Beeb and I'm quite excited to see how they adapt without Jake. I won't want to watch the race twice and I'm not exactly endeared to Sky, so its an easy choice.

SGWilko
13th March 2013, 09:23
not allowed to use adult cutlery until he'd calmed down a bit.

Why does Rhuprect have a cork on his fork?

henners88
13th March 2013, 14:33
I agree with the principle of what Martin is saying here and it should have been done as soon as social media became mainstream IMO. Its not the solution to the bigger problem though. What he's sort of saying here is the sport has suffered because of the move to pay TV with regards to viewing figures, but instead of addressing this by making it more affordable to FTA broadcasters, they should just focus on delivering snippets through the likes of youtube and social networks. That may be more profitable for them in the short term, but its not addressing the problem in the same way. Suggesting TV shouldn't be the sole issue is just lazy. You're not going to get more exposure from people if they are unable to watch the races, regardless of how many adverts and online video's they may see.

pitpass - F1 must adapt warns Whitmarsh (http://www.pitpass.com/48529-F1-must-adapt-warns-Whitmarsh)

F1 has created this problem, and now they are puzzled as to how to solve it. Quite laughable really.

steveaki13
13th March 2013, 17:39
I'm not exactly endeared to Sky.

You kept that quiet Henners :eek: :p :

henners88
13th March 2013, 17:43
You kept that quiet Henners :eek: :p :
lol :p :
Well my hatred for Sky isn't likely to reduce as long as they have the coverage so be prepared for me to rant some more over the coming years! lol :)

steveaki13
13th March 2013, 18:08
lol :p :
Well my hatred for Sky isn't likely to reduce as long as they have the coverage so be prepared for me to rant some more over the coming years! lol :)

I understand because it has ruined F1 in the UK for many.

However dont turn into a Garry Walker. :p (Saying how Sky is a useless TV provider and anyone could do it if they had their equipment)

rjbetty
13th March 2013, 18:24
Australia 2002
GRID
1.Rubens Barrichello (Ferrari)
2.Michael Schumacher (Ferrari)
3.Ralf Schumacher (Williams)
4.David Coulthard (McLaren)
5.Kimi Raikkonen (McLaren)
6.Juan-Pablo Montoya (Williams)
7.Jarno Trulli (Renault)
8.Giancarlo Fisichella (Jordan)
9.Felipe Massa (Sauber)
10.Nick Heidfeld (Sauber)
11.Jenson Button (Renault)
12.Olivier Panis (BAR)
13.Jacques Villeneuve (BAR)
14.Mika Salo (Toyota)
15.Heinz-Harald Frentzen (Arrows)
16.Allan McNish (Toyota)
17.Enrique Bernoldi (Arrows)
18.Mark Webber (Minardi)
19.Eddie Irvine (Jaguar)
20.Pedro de la Rosa (Jaguar)
21.Alex Yoong (Minardi)
22.Takuma Sato (Jordan)

RACE
1.M.Schumacher
2.Montoya
3.Raikkonen - went wide at turn 1 exiting pits, losing 2nd
4.Irvine
5.Webber - technical problems all race, but held 5th brilliantly
6.Salo
7.Yoong
8.de la Rosa - lots of problems
Rtd.Villeneuve - back wing fell off again as in '99
Rtd.Sato - Ran 6th for a while
Rtd.Trulli - Ran 2nd early on but went on Button's oil
Rtd.Button - Got out of turn 1 but car succumbed to injuries
Rtd.Coulthard
Rtd.Barrichello - silly weaving
Rtd.R.Schumacher
Rtd.Heidfeld - also Nick's fault I think
Rtd.Massa - Innocent
Rtd.Fisichella - "
Rtd.Panis - "
Rtd.McNish - "
DSQ.Frentzen - stalled on grid
DSQ.Bernoldi - ditto

That's probably the easiest year I remember!

EuroTroll
13th March 2013, 19:01
If you seriously just recalled that, that's pretty damned amazing! :up:

rjbetty
13th March 2013, 19:04
Haha yeah I did! If there's one thing I'm good at, it's remembering stuff, data and stats, even from long ago. I just need to find a use for it...

Try another year and I'll put the grid and result as quick as I can from memory (1996-2012 but not 2008-09 ok!)

steveaki13
13th March 2013, 21:34
GRID
1.Rubens Barrichello (Ferrari)
2.Michael Schumacher (Ferrari)
3.Ralf Schumacher (Williams)
4.David Coulthard (McLaren)
5.Kimi Raikkonen (McLaren)
6.Juan-Pablo Montoya (Williams)
7.Jarno Trulli (Renault)
8.Giancarlo Fisichella (Jordan)
9.Felipe Massa (Sauber)
10.Nick Heidfeld (Sauber)
11.Jenson Button (Renault)
12.Olivier Panis (BAR)
13.Jacques Villeneuve (BAR)
14.Mika Salo (Toyota)
15.Heinz-Harald Frentzen (Arrows)
16.Allan McNish (Toyota)
17.Enrique Bernoldi (Arrows)
18.Mark Webber (Minardi)
19.Eddie Irvine (Jaguar)
20.Pedro de la Rosa (Jaguar)
21.Alex Yoong (Minardi)
22.Takuma Sato (Jordan)

RACE
1.M.Schumacher
2.Montoya
3.Raikkonen - went wide at turn 1 exiting pits, losing 2nd
4.Irvine
5.Webber - technical problems all race, but held 5th brilliantly
6.Salo
7.Yoong
8.de la Rosa - lots of problems
Rtd.Villeneuve - back wing fell off again as in '99
Rtd.Sato - Ran 6th for a while
Rtd.Trulli - Ran 2nd early on but went on Button's oil
Rtd.Button - Got out of turn 1 but car succumbed to injuries
Rtd.Coulthard
Rtd.Barrichello - silly weaving
Rtd.R.Schumacher
Rtd.Heidfeld - also Nick's fault I think
Rtd.Massa - Innocent
Rtd.Fisichella - "
Rtd.Panis - "
Rtd.McNish - "
DSQ.Frentzen - stalled on grid
DSQ.Bernoldi - ditto

That's probably the easiest year I remember!

I am amazed. I understand that was an easier year due to the carnage.

Things I can add from memory about that race was.

-I remember Button getting T boned in turn 1, but the front wheel was locked and cars sidepod was destroyed and on fire, I think he retired at turn 3.
-Coulthard got slower and slower with gear selection problems and went wide at turn 15 several times.
-The Arrows were running about 8 laps down and one was DSQ due to leaving the pits under a red light and one for mechanics on the grid?
- Sato has issues all weekend and only gets a few laps in the rain in Quali and is +22 seconds odd.

I also remember Irvine was so far down in Quali he was speechless then he had an easy race in 4th all day.

Natalie.S
13th March 2013, 23:33
F1 has created this problem, and now they are puzzled as to how to solve it.
There's no problem, there's just a new business model for F1 and Whitmarsh explains the changes and challenges.

The terrestrial business model for F1 has come to an end.
Selling it twice, once live, in full and with several add-ons on Pay TV a second time on FTA but as highlights or a delayed race, is where the money is.

FOM and the teams have already adjusted, now it's just (some) sponsors and fans who need to get used to the different status quo.
Will need a bit of tweaking here and there but surely they'll manage.

Quite laughable really.
To me the laughable bit is those who keep fulminating about a done deal. :rolleyes:
F1 Live is off FTA (at least partially) for the long run.
Better put effort in securing the funds to have access to Sky than to moan and whine about what you can't/won't have/afford

henners88
14th March 2013, 08:41
I understand because it has ruined F1 in the UK for many.

However dont turn into a Garry Walker. :p (Saying how Sky is a useless TV provider and anyone could do it if they had their equipment)
Indeed and its decline in popularity will only be felt a few years from now when Sky are lucky to get half a million viewers, and the BBC's highlights are on at 11pm and nobody is bothered.

Dave B
16th March 2013, 19:21
I watched the BBC qualifying show out of curiosity, to see how they'd provide "highlights" of only 20 minutes' action. The show itself was ok, but good grief what have they done to The Chain? There was so much engine noise and SFX drowning it out that I literally couldn't hear parts of it.

Coulthard Fan
16th March 2013, 19:49
RJBetty Why didn't you watch 2008/2009?

Coulthard Fan
16th March 2013, 19:54
I like Sky's coverage I love Damon and Johnny, starting to warm to Simon Lazenby thought he was a bit bland in his first year.
I will quite happily watch Sky's coverage when BBC only have highlights but when BBC have full races I will always watch their coverage.

I always loved Suzi on the gadget show and moto gp so I'm looking forward to watching BBC coverage.

wedge
18th March 2013, 19:00
Suzi seemed to be out of her depths at times - by that I mean she doesn't quite seem to get the nuances of the sport. There was a telling moment when DC saved a dead air moment mid-interview with Eric Boullier.

She came across as being rather nervous and haste. I suppose its just getting into the swing of things.

henners88
18th March 2013, 19:13
She'll get into things. The reaction so far has been mostly good and she did a fairly good job :)

Natalie.S
18th March 2013, 21:08
Suzi seemed to be out of her depths at times - by that I mean she doesn't quite seem to get the nuances of the sport. There was a telling moment when DC saved a dead air moment mid-interview with Eric Boullier.

She came across as being rather nervous and haste. I suppose its just getting into the swing of things.
Yep it was poor but she'll get the hang of it, hopefully by the time the BBC can show a race live :D

acescribe
18th March 2013, 23:01
Much the same as Simon Lazenby on Sky, he was a rabbit in the headlights throughout much of last year but is already much better this year. Suzi will get up to speed a lot sooner.

Mark
19th March 2013, 20:04
Jake Humphrey is now presenting a series about children's bedtimes.

AndyL
19th March 2013, 20:34

I guess he is pretty well qualified to talk about how to keep an over-excitable little-'un under control, after working with Eddie Jordan for so long.

acescribe
20th March 2013, 08:55

Word is he is being lined up to replace Phillip Schofield on 'This Morning' on ITV too...

henners88
20th March 2013, 10:13
Word is he is being lined up to replace Phillip Schofield on 'This Morning' on ITV too...
Good luck to him I say. He's a new father and is suddenly earning more money and having the luxury of being at home to enjoy his family. The offers are rolling in it seems. :)

Dave B
21st March 2013, 20:48
To be fair, you could replace Philip Schofield with a cardboard cutout of Philip Schofield and pretty much nobody would notice. Write the names of a few alleged paedos on its back and hey presto it's just like the real thing.

rjbetty
21st March 2013, 21:03
I feel bit sorry for Suzi Perry. It all seems pretty awkward as she seems aware that she has spent time taking jibes at F1 in the past, and she seems like she doesn't want to ssem like a hypocrite now she is presenting F1. It looks a little awkward. It looks like she's been attacked quite a bit, but I like her and hope she does well.

(I admit I do kinda fancy her *blushes*!!! )

rjbetty
21st March 2013, 21:07
Also, I have to say I think James Allen and Gary Anderson did a very good job on Radio 5 Live (though I only managed to hear half the race last week :s nore :)

steveaki13
21st March 2013, 21:12
I feel bit sorry for Suzi Perry. It all seems pretty awkward as she seems aware that she has spent time taking jibes at F1 in the past, and she seems like she doesn't want to ssem like a hypocrite now she is presenting F1. It looks a little awkward. It looks like she's been attacked quite a bit, but I like her and hope she does well.

A Spambot now with feelings. This is getting dangerous...... oh rjbetty its you. :p :

(I admit I do kinda fancy her *blushes*!!! )

I suspect your not alone on here. :o

henners88
21st March 2013, 21:12
I thought Suzi did absolutely fine. It's been mostly positive to her first show yet she's been analysed way more than Jake ever did after his first show in 2009.

steveaki13
21st March 2013, 21:28
Also, I have to say I think James Allen and Gary Anderson did a very good job on Radio 5 Live (though I only heard half the race last week :s nore :)

Malaysia is later this week. so you can get some sleep before hand. Unless Quali is delayed again. :eek: Dont worry rjbetty If i am on here I will ingage you in stunning debate and keep you awake. :p :

rjbetty
21st March 2013, 21:32
These two have been on my profile recently!

ssrshjmfyqglqygbexe (http://www.motorsportforums.com/members/ssrshjmfyqglqygbexe-438434/),[/*:m:2rv0mcy4]
xqmgclowahbkbyaah (http://www.motorsportforums.com/members/xqmgclowahbkbyaah-438436/)[/*:m:2rv0mcy4]

I'm worried and think they may be after me... :uhoh:

rjbetty
23rd March 2013, 20:35
I was at a friend's house today and managed to catch a bit of Sky's F1 show for the first time - I wasn't that impressed by it, and it kind of had an ITV feel to it, I felt.

wedge
23rd March 2013, 21:51
I thought Suzi did absolutely fine. It's been mostly positive to her first show yet she's been analysed way more than Jake ever did after his first show in 2009.

You do know that Jake had a live show and the highlights is edited.

I found a song about Henners love for the BBC: YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/results?q=jizz#/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY)

henners88
24th March 2013, 08:41
I'm actually watching a race live! My first in quite a while, but only because its an early one. :)

Dave B
24th March 2013, 11:27
Sky have been really good this weekend, and Johnny Herbert's been worth his weight in gold. Pinkham remains the weak link, but I suppose someone's got to ask Skitsinger about her hair.

steveaki13
24th March 2013, 11:35
They never bring us the press conference though. Dont know why. Would like to have seen the Vettel Webber link up

henners88
24th March 2013, 11:45
I'm still recording the BBC as their analysis is so much better. I didn't bother getting up earlier for Sky's build up, sleep was more important after a few beers last night :)

Dave B
24th March 2013, 11:52
I'm still recording the BBC as their analysis is so much better. I didn't bother getting up earlier for Sky's build up, sleep was more important after a few beers last night :)
I too am recording the Beeb's highlights, but I've got 2 WTCC races to watch live and a roast duck dinner to demolish (we're trying not to have the telly on at mealtimes for littl'un) so gawd knows when I'll watch it.

acescribe
24th March 2013, 11:59
and Johnny Herbert's been worth his weight in gold. Pinkham remains the weak link, but I suppose someone's got to ask Skitsinger about her hair.

Johnny getting fiesty with Christian Horner was very good!

henners88
24th March 2013, 12:02
I'm fitting a work top in my brother in laws kitchen at the mo so will watch it tonight. TV at meal times is a no no with kids, you're doing it right Dave ;)

Can't wait for china now, first proper race of the year for the Beeb and it'll feel like the season has finally started properly. Three week wait though.

Mark
24th March 2013, 17:06
I watched the race on Sky and saw bits of the BBC coverage. Ben Edwards was way more excited about the Red Bull fight than they were on Sky.

henners88
24th March 2013, 17:32
Yeah he did seem to go a little crazy when Hamilton pitted at McLaren too. I thought he was going to wet himself lol

steveaki13
24th March 2013, 17:50
Yeah he did seem to go a little crazy when Hamilton pitted at McLaren too. I thought he was going to wet himself lol

Maybe he did. He wouldn't announce it on air.

Dave B
24th March 2013, 18:50
I watched the race on Sky and saw bits of the BBC coverage. Ben Edwards was way more excited about the Red Bull fight than they were on Sky.
He seemed to let his excitement get the better of him, swearing that "they touched" when that wasn't the case. More exciting to listen to than Sky's commentary today, but not as accurate.

Daika
25th March 2013, 18:57
Little bit offtopic, those who have the right to broadcast formula 1, are all those channels behind a paywall? I can only acces the BBC which ofcourse covers half the races. Are there any broadcasters on the open net left?

henners88
26th March 2013, 12:57
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/26/uqynereh.jpg

Dave B
26th March 2013, 13:41
It's not rocket science that an early morning race on a pay channel would be beaten by an afternoon repeat on the county's most-watched channel. 1.35 million is actually a pretty respectable figure, all things considered - some of Sky's Premiership football matches don't get that.

Mark
26th March 2013, 13:44
Quite, not a fair comparison. Wait until they are both covering live races again. Which they will be for China - even then BBC will always get more just due it being top of everyone's EPG.

henners88
26th March 2013, 13:48
It's not rocket science that an early morning race on a pay channel would be beaten by an afternoon repeat on the county's most-watched channel. 1.35 million is actually a pretty respectable figure, all things considered - some of Sky's Premiership football matches don't get that.
The Malaysian race wasn't too early in comparison to the Oz race the previous week. In fact lights went out at 8am and TV figures tend to suggest this is a prime slot for a weekend as more people tend to watch TV in the morning's and evening during said meal times. In fact its one of Sky's best figures to date as they tend to attract less when races are shown live at lunch times.

I think the madness is in the BBC's figure. A large percentage of those viewers did not have access to the whole race which is why restricting so many people is stupid IMO. I'm talking about this from a fans perspective, not a Sky viewer who suddenly cares about how much money this deal pulls in for the sport and not needing to worry about those who have to make do.

henners88
26th March 2013, 13:49
Quite, not a fair comparison. Wait until they are both covering live races again. Which they will be for China - even then BBC will always get more just due it being top of everyone's EPG.
Its not a fully fair comparison no, but it does show how little the channel has had an effect on attracting people across.

Mark
26th March 2013, 14:18
I'd argue the opposite actually. That's a respectable figure for what is - in effect - a subscription only channel.

henners88
26th March 2013, 14:24
Perhaps but that's about as far as it'll ever go. It doesn't justify the outcome we face now however.

steveaki13
26th March 2013, 17:29
. I'm talking about this from a fans perspective, not a Sky viewer who suddenly cares about how much money this deal pulls in for the sport and not needing to worry about those who have to make do.

Wow thanks. I am glad to know that you think us Sky viewers are scum, who dont care about non Sky F1 viewers. :dozey:

henners88
26th March 2013, 18:01
Wow thanks. I am glad to know that you think us Sky viewers are scum, who dont care about non Sky F1 viewers. :dozey:
That is quite an interpretation you've come up with there. :rolleyes:

I didn't single any one person out, but more a blanket opinion I witness all over the internet when this topic is being discussed. I am yet to find a BBC viewer who thinks this is great to have two channels covering the sport. One with a minority viewership that costs silly money, and the other showing a cut down version to over four times as many viewers. I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing how great it is because the sport get more money. Those that have the choice are able to have this perspective because it doesn't affect them and its easier to support something if you are benefiting. Where do people like me fit into that equation? A fan who spends an awful lot of time following the sport and discussing it but has to make do with only half the season live? Myself and millions of others have lost out big time and I will always be negative about this. I don't care if I sound like a broken record because the situation is unchanged and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Dave B
26th March 2013, 18:33
That is quite an interpretation you've come up with there. :rolleyes:

I didn't single any one person out, but more a blanket opinion I witness all over the internet when this topic is being discussed. I am yet to find a BBC viewer who thinks this is great to have two channels covering the sport. One with a minority viewership that costs silly money, and the other showing a cut down version to over four times as many viewers. I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing how great it is because the sport get more money. Those that have the choice are able to have this perspective because it doesn't affect them and its easier to support something if you are benefiting. Where do people like me fit into that equation? A fan who spends an awful lot of time following the sport and discussing it but has to make do with only half the season live? Myself and millions of others have lost out big time and I will always be negative about this. I don't care if I sound like a broken record because the situation is unchanged and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I understand that non-subscribers will feel aggrieved, it's totally understandable when the sport you love suddenly costs more to watch, but we have to accept that's the way sport in general is going. The BBC in particular have been squeezed by the licence fee settlement (I know, The Voice is costing £20 million, I don't get it either) and it's hard to justify F1 as a priority when other broadcasters were competing for the rights.

I don't appreciate the implication that I'm watching races from an ivory tower, scoffing caviar and lighting cigars with £50 notes while laughing at the poor unwashed who can't afford Sky - I'm simply being realistic about the cost of sporting rights. I can't stand caviar.

The viewing figures may seem disappointing, but the main channels have seen a general decline (http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/trend-graph-channel-viewing-share?data_series%5B%5D=1&data_series%5B%5D=2&data_series%5B%5D=4&data_series%5B%5D=5&period_start=17-03-1993&period_end=17-03-2013&button_submit=View+graph)* in their figures anyway as more and more competition from other broadcasters, not to mention gaming and the internet, eat into their dominance. And to be honest, 4.66 million on a Sunday afternoon isn't actually that bad: that would put the F1 show on the cusp of BBC1's top 30 (http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-30?) shows of the entire week.

(*PS, can you spot the Olympics / Paralympics on that graph?! :eek: )

Mark
26th March 2013, 18:34
Money my ass. If both Sky and the BBC were to stop paying for F1 it would have zero implications for F1 or teams finding.

steveaki13
26th March 2013, 18:52
I am yet to find a BBC viewer who thinks this is great to have two channels covering the sport.

What about a Sky viewer who thinks its bad to have two channels.

Henners. I agree completely with your overall opinion on Sky. Its bad for F1 in the UK. I got the Sky coverage, because I already had it for Fooball, Cricket etc.

Dont forget there are some of us who watch F1 on Sky who want it all on the BBC in a real world.

henners88
26th March 2013, 19:37
I understand that non-subscribers will feel aggrieved, it's totally understandable when the sport you love suddenly costs more to watch, but we have to accept that's the way sport in general is going. The BBC in particular have been squeezed by the licence fee settlement (I know, The Voice is costing £20 million, I don't get it either) and it's hard to justify F1 as a priority when other broadcasters were competing for the rights.

I don't appreciate the implication that I'm watching races from an ivory tower, scoffing caviar and lighting cigars with £50 notes while laughing at the poor unwashed who can't afford Sky - I'm simply being realistic about the cost of sporting rights. I can't stand caviar.

The viewing figures may seem disappointing, but the main channels have seen a general decline (http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/trend-graph-channel-viewing-share?data_series%5B%5D=1&data_series%5B%5D=2&data_series%5B%5D=4&data_series%5B%5D=5&period_start=17-03-1993&period_end=17-03-2013&button_submit=View+graph)* in their figures anyway as more and more competition from other broadcasters, not to mention gaming and the internet, eat into their dominance. And to be honest, 4.66 million on a Sunday afternoon isn't actually that bad: that would put the F1 show on the cusp of BBC1's top 30 (http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-30?) shows of the entire week.

(*PS, can you spot the Olympics / Paralympics on that graph?! :eek: )
I find it hard to be realistic Dave I admit. Maybe in future years they will make the sport completely exclusive where you have to attend races to see it live with snippets on youtube for the die-hard fans? No TV coverage whatsoever would really push it into the boundaries and gain that luxury following it desires. Sounds completely stupid but I would have said the deal we have now is stupid if I was asked 5 years ago. I have no interest in following a sport I may end up having a very limited access to in the future. I stopped following football because it became increasing difficult to support a team through newspaper articles and the odd Champion's League match on a Wednesday night. Plus leaving school and no longer playing it meant my interest diminished. I couldn't tell you where Liverpool sit in the league now and never read the back pages of the newspaper. I still get excited if I catch the odd match, but can't justify my time to it anymore. If the BBC lose the rights to all live F1 I will reluctantly stop following, discussing, and reading about it. No point. I stopped watching F1 in 2002 when I went off to university and it became boring (IMO) during Schumacher's dominance. I came back to it for the 2005 season and have seen its popularity recover only for it to go this way. If highlights are pulling in top 30 ratings then that's great. I just want to watch 100% of every race without being ripped off. If I could afford Sky no doubt I would still be bitter about this but at least have some of the blow cushioned by the fact I still get to watch the races. Its easier to have a more 'realistic' perspective when you are unaffected.

I just hope the price continues to rise and we are faced with the sport back in its old place, unpopular. We've supported it going this way and we will have to deal with it I suppose. I'm having one of those days where I'm really angry about this and ranting. Apologies.

henners88
26th March 2013, 19:40
What about a Sky viewer who thinks its bad to have two channels.

Henners. I agree completely with your overall opinion on Sky. Its bad for F1 in the UK. I got the Sky coverage, because I already had it for Fooball, Cricket etc.

Dont forget there are some of us who watch F1 on Sky who want it all on the BBC in a real world.
I was well aware of your opinions on this from previous discussions. This is why I was surprised to see how you interpreted my post. Its not very often I read opinions like yours when you have the best of both worlds and its refreshing to read. :)

steveaki13
26th March 2013, 19:52
I was well aware of your opinions on this from previous discussions. This is why I was surprised to see how you interpreted my post. Its not very often I read opinions like yours when you have the best of both worlds and its refreshing to read. :)

Sorry Henners. It was just reading that line annoyed me a little, and I posted a bit too quickly. I understand you and others view. Trust me although I watch F1 on Sky, I am well aware that F1 in Britain is heading for a crash and that is sad. Considering how much of F1 is based in the UK. Regardless of where the money comes from. Most workers and things involved are British.

As I have said before If F1 can ever come back to BBC, it will be better for everyone and the sport. Which are the two most important things (The fans and the Sport)

Lets hope something can be done, because losing dedicated fans like Henners and others on here, wont do F1 any good.

henners88
26th March 2013, 20:18
I suppose I am technically a Sky viewer now as since the 9th of January this year I have lived in a house that has access to the Sky channel. Not for much longer though hopefully and I'll be in my new house. I have watched a couple of things in this time including the Malaysian GP. I chose not to watch the Oz GP as I wanted the BBC experience for the season opener.

Dave B
27th March 2013, 18:54
I'm having one of those days where I'm really angry about this and ranting. Apologies.
No apology necessary. You're passionate about your opinion and argue it eloquently.

Anyway, must go: my valet is here to top up my champagne. :p

henners88
28th March 2013, 07:45
No apology necessary. You're passionate about your opinion and argue it eloquently.
If it comes across as passion that's good. To me its more frustration and desperation lol.

Anyway, must go: my valet is here to top up my champagne. :p :
I might treat myself to some bread sticks and Bucks Fizz seeing as in two and half weeks time I will be rich in having the coverage fully live. I'll be a king like you gentlemen all too briefly :p

yodasarmpit
9th April 2013, 14:49
Looks like egg on my face, and Sky have introduced Entertainment Extra + as a means of viewing non movie and sport content in HD.

Resulting in the F1 channel residing in the sports package, although existing customers remain able to view F1 on the original HD package for the time being.

henners88
9th April 2013, 15:02
Today is the last day new subscribers can purchase Sky and take advantage of the HD pack for viewing F1. Indeed new customers after today will have to purchase the whole Sports pack to view F1 in future. They have their plateaued audience so it makes no difference to Sky.

henners88
11th April 2013, 08:25
A carefully edited video by the BBC but my respect for Lee has gone up after seeing this and what she wrote after the Oz GP concerning Kimi.

BBC Sport - Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen gives BBC the cold shoulder (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21909762)

I'm a big fan of Kimi's driving but he can come across as arrogant and rude a lot of the time. He's never made any secret of his hatred for talking to the press, but its part of the job unfortunately for him. If I was Lee or the producer in charge I would refuse to interview him from now on. I get most of my answers from his on track performance and enjoy his wins without hearing what he has to say to be honest.

henners88
16th April 2013, 09:57
Interesting quote from Bernie a couple of days ago. He's had the opinion for a long time that viewing figures are not in the least bit important to Formula One, yet suggested a scheme to Sky to offer this:

“I said [to Sky] you can guarantee that when you put a Sky box in the house, although it is only for F1, people are going to say ‘why can’t I watch the rest’ and they will sign up,” he said.

“Children will say ‘my friends at school watch this so why can’t we?’ Sky are very good with that kind of idea. It would use F1 to drive their subscriptions.”

Free F1 Sky boxes would drive subscriptions says Bernie Ecclestone | City & Business | Finance | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/391773/Free-F1-Sky-boxes-would-drive-subscriptions-says-Bernie-Ecclestone)

Offering the sport for free to boost viewing figures with a little temptation along the way. I'm not surprised Sky declined to comment as its against their business principles. Perhaps offering the channel at a considerably reduced rate stand alone on freeview would get a few more people watching Mr Ecclestone?

Its comments like this that prove how important it is for F1 to remain on FTA.

henners88
3rd June 2013, 12:49
A chap I work with told me this morning he believes Sky are in the process of starting to remove the F1 Channel (SSF1) from customers who do not have the full sports package. If true it means anybody who simply has the HD pack and was allowed to continue receiving the channel after the move to sports in April will lose the channel unless they pay the extra £20 a month. Been looking around and there is no official confirmation from Sky but its rumoured amongst users on Twitter so this chap wasn't imagining things. The story has started from somewhere much like when they stopped offering it to new HD customers. It'll be interesting to see if there is any truth in it after all.

Lets face it its harsh and I would be mighty pee'd off if I had bought Sky for this one channel, only for it to be removed some months later but we have discussed this happening many times before. A friend of mine has done this and said although he's only 5 months into his contract, he'll remove Sky completely if they change the terms and conditions by taking this channel away. They do cover themselves by stating they can change these terms at any point and can raise the cost with little warning, but as a consumer you also have rights and can withdraw a service you have purchased at any point. Much like phone contracts, nothing is set in stone.

Expect audiences to fall further guys and gals lol. Questions have already been asked after the first few races of the season as figures have dropped yet again and I wouldn't mind betting many F1 fans will not feel pressured into upgrading further. This begs the question, what power does Bernie have to terminate a contract with the likes of Sky if audience figures fall again to unreasonable levels? Sky don't care how many are watching and neither did Bernie until less people actually tuned in to watch. It would be interesting to see how the sport responds as this latest 'rumour' could inflict quite a bit of damage to the sports popularity in the UK IMO. :)

Mark
3rd June 2013, 13:47
I think that's just speculation, after all it's a natural conclusion to reach after they moved it onto the sports pack. Whatever happens I can't see any changes for this year. But for next it's quite possible.

I still wouldn't be subscribing to it.

henners88
3rd June 2013, 14:22
I think that's just speculation, after all it's a natural conclusion to reach after they moved it onto the sports pack. Whatever happens I can't see any changes for this year. But for next it's quite possible.

I still wouldn't be subscribing to it.
Oh its speculation at this stage. The rumours turned out to be right about the change in April and perhaps there is no smoke without fire concerning this latest rumour? I can't see Sky making any changes during an F1 season as that would be very stupid for marketing reasons. Plus there was a lot of advertising including an official Sky promotion twitter account to try and raise subscriptions amongst F1 fans in the run up to the SS switch. They couldn't exactly take it off those people after a couple of months I wouldn't have thought. Like yourself Mark I'm guessing the changes will come at the end of this year with perhaps a little bit of notice in the meantime. People like my friend who took out a subscription a few months ago will be able to cancel their subscription after 12 months anyway. Something he was considering.

I'm having FreeSat installed soon as I can't get more than 12 freeview channels where I now live unfortunately. We phoned a few companies to quote for TV, Phone and TV and Sky could do no better than £36 a month all in. With FreeSat its a one off payment and installation (£230), and we can get a faster Broadband deal with our old Supplier TalkTalk for £20 a month. Sky aren't attracting people because they simply aren't competitive and taking services like the F1 channel off existing customers doesn't do them any favours whatsoever. With the amount of complaints and negative publicity they've had, you'd think they'd at least try and reach out to F1 fans to get them on board, but its just an impressive edition to their portfolio and I really hope it gets taken off them. We've tried having F1 on pay TV, it hasn't worked and is a failed experiment. Audience figures are dropping off, Bernie is applying pressure and unrealistic suggestions to give people Sky for free which isn't in their model, and he's locked in a long term contract with them. I have to chuckle to myself as we all knew this was going to happen, although it has happened a lot sooner than I'd hoped. :)

Mark
3rd June 2013, 15:04
tbh I'm finding that especially now the weather is a bit nicer, my weekends are absolutely packed and just don't have time to sit down and watch a Grand Prix live. So highlights are ideal. If I thought I could save some money by downgrading now I'd consider it.

steveaki13
3rd June 2013, 16:37
Stupid decision to take F1 off freeview. I would love to see how Bernie really feels about all this.

I would say if Bernie gets his money he probably wouldnt care, but if its affecting other sectors of his F1 pie, he is gonna be getting mad.

henners88
3rd June 2013, 17:23
tbh I'm finding that especially now the weather is a bit nicer, my weekends are absolutely packed and just don't have time to sit down and watch a Grand Prix live. So highlights are ideal. If I thought I could save some money by downgrading now I'd consider it.
I'm with you there Mark. The Monaco race had poor viewing figures on Sky with a peak tuning in for the highlights on the BBC and I'd put that largely down to the weather. It was one of the hottest days do far this year and I doubt many people were going to waste it just to watch a live race. I've just moved in to a brand new house with plenty to do including getting ready for a little one in October. I think it's highly likely my commitment to the sport and places like this are going to diminish somewhat, but that's life. I'll no doubt pick my interest up again a few years down the line and hopefully F1 will still be covered by a FTA channel.

Sky making it more expensive to existing viewers and no longer offering it as part of the HD pack is just putting people off. I'd rather save the money and use it for more important activities with the family.

It's not official they are taking the F1 channel off non sports subscribers, but its been expected and rumours are gathering some weight. I feel sorry for those more committed than me and who also have a limited disposable income. As long as Bernie gets paid eh? :)

Bezza
4th June 2013, 13:07
The whole situation at the moment is a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

People want it back free-to-air. So, do you want standard of ITV coverage back again - you know, where we witnessed exciting races totally ruined by adverts (San Marino 2005!!!!) - or should I say exciting adverts ruined by F1...(in ITV's eyes).

What we have now works for me. Realistically the cost per month is a very, very cheap utility bill if you already have a Sky subscription. I think a lot of people don't watch it on Sky out of pure pride.

I currently watch both! BBC if it is on live on both, and Sky if not, then watch highlights. Although for Monaco, I was away so watched the BBC highlights straight away.

henners88
4th June 2013, 14:06
People want it back free-to-air. So, do you want standard of ITV coverage back again - you know, where we witnessed exciting races totally ruined by adverts (San Marino 2005!!!!) - or should I say exciting adverts ruined by F1...(in ITV's eyes).
I think it would be a mistake giving the coverage back to ITV at the price of reduced quality. The BBC have done a fantastic job and are recognised for increasing F1's level of popularity over the past 4 and half seasons. They couldn't justify the extortionate amount Bernie and Co demand for coverage and had no choice but to either drop it completely or share it. In an ideal world Bernie would have offered it to them at a reduced price seeing as they give the sport the exposure it deserves, something Sky are incapable of doing due to their outreach. At the time money was more important and Sky were willing to pay the premium even if many of us could see that viewers were going to drop considerably. Now we have a situation where Bernie is being forced to go back on some of his earlier smug comments and admit the drop in viewers is perhaps a problem after all.

What we have now works for me. Realistically the cost per month is a very, very cheap utility bill if you already have a Sky subscription. I think a lot of people don't watch it on Sky out of pure pride.

I currently watch both! BBC if it is on live on both, and Sky if not, then watch highlights. Although for Monaco, I was away so watched the BBC highlights straight away.
What we have works for anybody who already had Sky or were rich enough to upgrade. There are a large number of fans who have chosen not to receive Sky based on their principles but there are many others who enjoy watching the sport but simply can't afford it. At present I don't pay anything to watch TV apart from the license fee. I don't have a monthly subscription to any cable or satellite service, therefore the jump to Sky would be a £40 a month bill, which I can't justify for 10 races a year nor can I really afford it. That also isn't a 'very, very cheap utility bill' for some of us. I get every channel I desire apart from the F1 channel. If Sky offered this one channel for a limited fee (£10 a month) I think they would steal much of the die-hard fans amongst us. As it stands greed has taken over and they are in the process of restricting the channel even further. No longer offering it to new HD customers and perhaps taking it off customers who once had it. I can't even say I think their coverage is streets ahead of the BBC because it isn't. I know quite a few people who have the channel but watch the BBC when live without question. That must indicate Sky have failed somewhat and you only have to look at the viewing figures when both channels have the race live to see they lose viewers. I read somewhere that Monaco figures were down compared to recent years. The weather and the fact the BBC didn't have it live were obvious reasons. Sky had an average of 560k with the BBC getting 3.13m peaking at 4.16m. It didn't give a peak for Sky. That is massive and something is going to have to be done about it.

Its a right mess and finally its being realised by the powers that be. Sky don't care because as far as they are concerned they have a multi year contract and its just another channel in their sports portfolio. The BBC may have reduced coverage but they are still the primary choice for viewing F1 in the UK and are most important in terms of out reach. Its very easy to defend the present deal when it doesn't affect you too. If by a miracle the BBC are given back the exclusive rights at a discount, I do hope they keep the current line up. I'd hate to see the likes of Kravitz and Brundle automatically taking their old jobs back. I was very bitter about all this in the early days but I have bigger distractions in my life now, but would be lying if I said I didn't take some pleasure in seeing this agreement fail somewhat. My interest will naturally dwindle over the next few years but that's life. If the sport feels it can turn itself into a specialist interest event with only 500k followers in the UK and survive, then good luck to them. Its going much the same way as cricket and boxing but with an outlay that's huge and sponsorship is more important than ever. Time will tell.

Dave B
4th June 2013, 19:49
That's why I wish Bernie would stop tinkering with start times to "suit" a European audience. I actually like having early morning races, or an evening one like the upcoming Canadian GP, so it leaves the main part of the day free.

For Monaco, btw, we stuck a telly and a laptop in the garden and enjoyed the best of both worlds :D

henners88
4th June 2013, 20:11
That might be one bonus of all the European countries selling out to satellite tv companies, the majority live audiences will be in the Far East. It'll be better for those lucky enough in Europe to get the coverage because all the races will be tailored to suit china ie early mornings. Mark can sell this forum to a Chinese consortium for a tidy profit and we can reminisce about the good old days, when we are not getting sun tans.

henners88
5th June 2013, 09:45
It seems Sky have 'officially denied' that they are taking the F1 channel off HD subscribers:

UPDATE on June 3rd – Sky have officially denied that there will be any package changes for current customers regarding Sky Sports F1.

Are current Sky (http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/are-current-sky-hd-pack-only-customers-with-sky-sports-f1-set-for-a-shock/)

That's either a massive relief or confirmation it will happen at the end of the season depending on which way you look at it. They officially denied the F1 channel was being made part of the Sports Package in June last year.

henners88
12th June 2013, 14:27
Good news for Sky viewers:

*Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September. In accordance with our standard terms, prices may rise by up to 10% in the initial contract term.

It is 'your home of Formula One' so is more than worth the extra money IMO. I am shocked by how much it has risen in just 13 months though. You could watch F1 for £31.25 p/m in April 2012. Now you have to subscribe to Sports and later will have to include the price hike into the equation. I'll pass lol. :D

Mark
12th June 2013, 16:27
And you wonder why people aren't so bothered about F1 any more. Bernie and Sky have a lot to answer for.

steveaki13
12th June 2013, 19:46
This is pretty much unsuprising.

F1 is being ruined on and off track.

Poor show really.

christophulus
14th June 2013, 23:16
This is exactly what everyone predicted would happen when the deal was announced. I watched Sky's full coverage of the Monaco GP this year at my parents' and was less than impressed, certainly would feel like I wasn't getting value for money if I was paying for it.

henners88
15th June 2013, 08:26
I kind of feel sorry for the Sky presenters in this situation. All the promises of this exclusive channel and exciting new features and they are barely scraping a quarter of the overall viewers. People like Brundle were instantly recognisable for their roles as F1 broadcasters, but are in danger of falling into the category of the forgotten ones within a few years. I suppose I don't really feel sorry for them as such, they chose this for themselves.

I just hope the Beeb don't give up completely on F1. If it remains like it is I think it's fan base will continue to either maintain or grow. Sky's is falling and will no doubt fall again by next season and it'll be down to Bernie to decide whether fans watching is important after all. This social media and mobile device rubbish is not the way fans want to watch. You can't get into a sport like F1 unless you are seeing the whole race. The sooner they realise that the better.

steveaki13
15th June 2013, 08:43
You do find it hard to see F1 being able to carry on like this for the long term. I mean in 5 -10 years can Sky F1 still hold all the cards?

I think alot will depend on who controls F1 after Bernie goes to the large money pot in the Sky.

Alot of F1 could change after that and this is an issue that may need to be resolved.

AndyL
15th June 2013, 13:57
It could be worse: it could be going to BT and disappearing from both terrestrial TV and Sky package channels entirely, like MotoGP.

Bezza
2nd July 2013, 18:01
Just watched the Sky highlights and BBC highlights to compare, and realized how bad David Croft has become!! Absolutely woeful. He sounded bored all race, despite it being a thriller. They missed Vettel conking out, because they were going to Kravitz AGAIN, and then Croft didn't seem to know what was going on. He failed to capture the excitement of the moment completely.

In contrast, watching it on the BBC was a pleasure. Edwards and Coulthard caught the moment perfectly and eloquently.

Leading me to think watching BBC highlights is better than watching the live races on Sky...

henners88
3rd July 2013, 09:44
I had a bit of a nightmare on Sunday as I set my father in laws Sky box to record the GP on BBC 1HD. Got home around 5pm hoping to tune in and the flaming thing hadn't recorded it! I logged in to iPlayer and waited until gone half 7 before the highlights came online. I had missed the start on the TV so watched highlights online. For some reason they didn't release the full race re-run on iPlayer until the highlights had finished. As it happened the highlights were good enough anyway.

I can't say I've bothered too much with Sky at all this season. I've lived in a house since Christmas that has had full access to the channel but as I've said countless times, I think the BBC do it so much better and will watch them as first choice every time. Suzi has got a lot better, although she still fluffs the odd line. Its still only her third live broadcast so I think she needs more time. I can live with her making a few mistakes as she's quite a warm character and it doesn't bother me so much. Plus from past experience you know when she is comfortable in a role, she is a damned fine presenter.

I've seen a few discussion lately about drivers being particularly cold towards Brundle on grid walks. He used to get some quite rude responses long before his cash dash, but it seems Vettel in particular is brief with him. Was it Austin last year where he snubbed Brundle live on air when he tried to interrupt DC's interview with the 'but we are live David'...? lol. Anyway, the Beeb did a fantastic job last weekend with my particular highlight being DC driving Jim Clarks Lotus. What a segment. Loved the old mechanics sharing their stories and the enthusiasm on DC's face. Towards the end you could tell he had forgotten the camera's were rolling and was simply caught in the moment. Brilliant stuff. :)

wedge
3rd July 2013, 13:23
Suzi has got a lot better, although she still fluffs the odd line. Its still only her third live broadcast so I think she needs more time. I can live with her making a few mistakes as she's quite a warm character and it doesn't bother me so much. Plus from past experience you know when she is comfortable in a role, she is a damned fine presenter.

Can't say that I agree. As likeable as she is at times Suzi Perry is getting on my nerves. At times she seems utterly clueless, not paying attention and it seems half the time on air she seems bewildered and struggling/hurrying her lines.

So its a no, she is not getting a better at all.

henners88
3rd July 2013, 14:27
Can't say that I agree. As likeable as she is at times Suzi Perry is getting on my nerves. At times she seems utterly clueless, not paying attention and it seems half the time on air she seems bewildered and struggling/hurrying her lines.

So its a no, she is not getting a better at all.
That's fine wedge, our opinions are all subjective. I've noticed a noticeable improvement from my point of view and openly admit her likeability means I am not as critical or perhaps notice the mistakes as much as others. I prefer the laid back approach of the broadcast so the odd mistake gives it the human feel for me. DC fluffs his words more often than not and he is a knowledgeable contributor even if presenting is not his main profession.

wedge
3rd July 2013, 16:12
Ben Edwards made a lot of mistakes in his commentary - one that sticks out in mind was "Lawrence Hamilton"!

But then one senses a sort of charm to his errors unlike say Toby Moody's efforts with BTCC.

samreddevilz
3rd July 2013, 18:19
I prefer BBC always. It sounds trustable to me. No close comparison yet.