PDA

View Full Version : Interviews on the podium

Dave B
8th July 2012, 14:42
Fantastic idea having the driver interviews on the podium. The public get to hear from the drivers, and there's actually some emotion on display rather than the sterile PR nonsense usually spouted in press conferences. :up:

Mark
8th July 2012, 20:36
This deserves it's own thread. Good idea? Should all the races be like this?

Certainly the delay between podium and press conference often means TV stations focus elsewhere. I especially remember ITV (boo hiss) hardly ever showing the press conference at all.

steveaki13
8th July 2012, 20:50
At first I thought it was a bad idea, but once Sir Jackie had completed the questions and seeing the reaction of the crowd. I really thought it worked well. I don't think it will replace press confrence, which is as said above a team statement almost and more the media.

So that will stay, but I think for the fans at the trackside it is a good idea.

I dont know if this was a one off for the Britsh GP or its a wider idea thats going to be implemented all over?

steveaki13
8th July 2012, 20:53
I especially remember ITV (boo hiss) hardly ever showing the press conference at all.

Yes when you think back on ITV days, what with ads and alot of pieces pre race about nothing. Then the lack of any coverage after the event. I don't how we used to stand it. We would pull our hair out if it went back to that.

The BBC is now the pinicle. But compared to ITV, Sky do a great job too.

christophulus
8th July 2012, 21:01
Great idea. BBC said that it's going to be the same at all of the races, as they've had the new podium built specifically for F1 so it'll travel around each of the races. I imagine they'll try and get a local driver/celebrity to do the interviews each time? Can't imagine Jackie Stewart wants to do the gig at all of the races!

anthonyvop
8th July 2012, 22:44
Winner circle interviews are status quo in the USA. Wonder when the FIA was going to pick up on it.

Dave B
9th July 2012, 08:15
It's a far better idea. Better for the fans, who get to see and hear the people they've queued up to watch; and better for viewers at home as we get to hear some actual emotion rather than the filtered version 15 minutes after the flag when the drivers have been briefed by their teams.

My only minor gripe about Silverstone's new podium was the way the flags appeared like the Countdown Conundrum, rather than being gracefully hoisted.

Mark
9th July 2012, 09:40
Indeed, was going to mention the flags, if this is a standard podium now this is disappointing. IMO flags should be flown, not painted on a bit of plastic.

Interviews straight after the race are excellent, IMO. I know in American racing they literally push a microphone in their face the moment they exit the car, it's only recently there's been TV coverage of what happens on the way to the podium, used to be this was when commentators had to fill time until they appeared.

Same with the press conference, it does provide a neater package you know that you have the race, podium and interviews and then it's finished :)

ArrowsFA1
9th July 2012, 09:57
It worked really well, and was far better than the post-race driver press conference which has become dull as dishwater.

I do wonder if future podium interviews will be conducted in the local language or english though.

Mark
9th July 2012, 12:02
Press conferences are always in English first and AFAIK drivers interviewed in their own language after that. That may continue but it's not like there isn't ample opportunity after the race for interviews especially if they go straight to interviews after the podium rather than being in the press conference.

But I suppose it is an issue for broadcasters, they will likely have to provide a translation as it happens.

Franky
9th July 2012, 13:46
But I suppose it is an issue for broadcasters, they will likely have to provide a translation as it happens.

Translation? During the 17 or so years I've followed F1 on TV, the only translations I've heard are brief summaries after the English comments. Really don't see an issue with it. The "big" nations might have some problems tho.

wedge
9th July 2012, 14:37
This deserves it's own thread. Good idea? Should all the races be like this?

Certainly the delay between podium and press conference often means TV stations focus elsewhere. I especially remember ITV (boo hiss) hardly ever showing the press conference at all.

They made more of an effort than the BBC did.

IIRC it was the 1993/92 Belgian GP where they switched back to F1 coverage for the press conference only to find out it was being conducted in French and switched back to Grandstand studio! Bunch of amateurs!

And whilst ITV took F1 coverage to another level the consistency of post race TV coverage needed greater depth and quality.

wedge
9th July 2012, 14:43
Press conferences are always in English first and AFAIK drivers interviewed in their own language after that. That may continue but it's not like there isn't ample opportunity after the race for interviews especially if they go straight to interviews after the podium rather than being in the press conference.

I question whether someone like JYS would be good choice? Is he up there on the podium in a corporate role or as a journalist?

Mark
9th July 2012, 14:46
Yes, of course up until 1996 when they lost the coverage to ITV, BBC's pre and post race coverage wasn't fantastic. In fact you'd never usually see any presenters on camera, they would normally just go straight to the world feed and Murray Walker saying "Welcome to a sunny Silverstone".

ITV stepped it up but they did introduce adverts during the race, and the awful awful studio at the track with Jim Rosenthal. It was certainly an attempt to try and have football style punditry in F1 where it just doesn't fit. It was much better when Rosenthal was given the boot and Steve Rider was brought in and they started presenting from the paddock, although PC Blundell left a lot to be desired.

Essentially the format the BBC and Sky are using at the moment is the one ITV finally established during the last few years of their coverage, but BBC and Sky put a lot more effort into it. But lets not forget all the times ITV showed the race, had an advert, 10 minutes of wrap up - with no official interviews and then went off to show a repeat of 60 Minute Makeover or something.

Mark
9th July 2012, 14:47
I question whether someone like JYS would be good choice? Is he up there on the podium in a corporate role or as a journalist?

I think he was there in his capacity as three time World Champion and race winning team owner.

ArrowsFA1
9th July 2012, 14:49
Here's the thing...Were these interviews primarily for the benefit of TV or the crowd at the circuit?

I can't see the German crowd at the next GP being too happy about interviews being conducted in English if it's the latter, and will all drivers be expected to be multilingual in future in case they're on the podium?

schmenke
9th July 2012, 14:53
2012 FIA Sporting Regulations
Article 46.1

"The drivers finishing the race in 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions and a representative of the winning
constructor must attend the prize‐giving ceremony on the podium and abide by the podium
procedure set out in Appendix 3 (except Monaco); and immediately thereafter make
themselves available for a period of one hour and 30 minutes for the purpose of television
unilateral interviews and the press conference in the media centre."

wedge
9th July 2012, 15:06
Yes, of course up until 1996 when they lost the coverage to ITV, BBC's pre and post race coverage wasn't fantastic. In fact you'd never usually see any presenters on camera, they would normally just go straight to the world feed and Murray Walker saying "Welcome to a sunny Silverstone".

ITV stepped it up but they did introduce adverts during the race, and the awful awful studio at the track with Jim Rosenthal. It was certainly an attempt to try and have football style punditry in F1 where it just doesn't fit. It was much better when Rosenthal was given the boot and Steve Rider was brought in and they started presenting from the paddock, although PC Blundell left a lot to be desired.

Essentially the format the BBC and Sky are using at the moment is the one ITV finally established during the last few years of their coverage, but BBC and Sky put a lot more effort into it. But lets not forget all the times ITV showed the race, had an advert, 10 minutes of wrap up - with no official interviews and then went off to show a repeat of 60 Minute Makeover or something.

I've still got taped races from the ITV era. In most instances it was about 3hrs and 10mins on a Sunday. If for whatever reason they couldn't show the press conference then at least they tried to grab interviews.

I think he was there in his capacity as three time World Champion and race winning team owner.

If it was say Austria 2001 & 2002 how would he/one have handled it?

His recent defence of his Bahraini buddies were not fully appreciative.

Mark
9th July 2012, 15:44
You raise a good point however that now the interviewer is going to be known too, rather than just a disembodied voice.

Dave B
9th July 2012, 15:48
ITV certainly raised the standard of coverage from the previous BBC era, and on their day they were fairly good. Their scheduling often let them down though, and the slightest delay (safety cars, poor weather) would see them scurry away almost as the chequered flag was waving. It was doubly bad on early evening races because heaven forbid they delay their precious soaps. Add to this their almost non-existent internet presence at the time and the total lack of red-button facilities, and the BBC had a fairly easy act to follow.

Much as we moaned about adverts, and much as we moan about subscriptions now, it's probably a good thing that the coverage occasionally switches channels as it forces all concerned to raise standards.

Dave B
9th July 2012, 15:50
2012 FIA Sporting Regulations
Article 46.1

"The drivers finishing the race in 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions and a representative of the winning
constructor must attend the prize‐giving ceremony on the podium and abide by the podium
procedure set out in Appendix 3 (except Monaco); and immediately thereafter make
themselves available for a period of one hour and 30 minutes for the purpose of television
unilateral interviews and the press conference in the media centre."
The press conference still took place afterwards:
Post-race press conference - Britain - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101097)

:)

wedge
9th July 2012, 16:13
Add to this their almost non-existent internet presence at the time

Depends what you mean by it.

Broadband is easily affordable and cost effective these days not to mention its pretty much sacrilege not to have videos.

James Allen's and and Ted Kravitz's articles showed them in better light, especially the latter who wasn't the 'tea boy who got a lucky break'.

Dave B
9th July 2012, 17:57
Depends what you mean by it.
I mean that at the time their website was little more than a handful of articles and news stories with pretty much zero in the way of rich media - no highlights, no catchup, no live streaming, no timing, no alternative feeds. Much of that was down to the technology at the time and lack of demand - even the BBC was only dipping a toe in the water with multimedia content on their website.

Mark
9th July 2012, 19:39
Remember it wasn't that long ago that Formula 1 itself didn't have a website. Formula1.com was a fan site and the only official information online was press releases and official results on the FIA website.

schmenke
9th July 2012, 19:45
The press conference still took place afterwards:
Post-race press conference - Britain - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101097)

:)

Thanks.
Promptly following the podium ceremony the local television coverage here cut away to air the Tour de France :mark:

Mark
9th July 2012, 19:47
I don't think the BBC showed it either.

Garry Walker
9th July 2012, 19:48
What exactly does this add to F1?

steveaki13
9th July 2012, 20:49
I think above posts have said it all.

I have only watched F1 since the early 90's but have collection since the later 80s. So I can only speak first hand since then, but here goes.

I think F1 coverage has always evolved and improved.

I believe (correct me if i am wrong) that pre 1978 BBC only showed classic races, then in 1978 they decided to show every race and thus coverage improved.

BBC then got a bit complacent. Even into the 90's they didn't change much about their coverage.

And as bad a press as ITV get (taking out ads) they actually did an OK job. They bought in an hours pre show and although some articles on their shows was a bit bizzare, we got a wider picture of the upcoming race. Then they got Brundle down on the grid and we got to see a different angle on the F1 preparations.

They then got Steve Rider and Blundell down in the pitlane and paddock, which led to BBC and Sky doing the same.

Then BBC got the rights and now upped the game to a fantastic new level, no ads. A more detailed hours build up, and practice sessions (which to be fair ITV could really never broadcast in the early days. Only when ITV2,3 & 4 came around I suppose) live.

The BBC is pretty much as good as it could get. Sky have taken many of the ITV/BBC features on and do a similarly good job. The only thing Sky could do to give F1 a further boost (from their & Bernies point of view), was the F1 channel, where you get old races. Extra reaction and weekly updates.

All in all F1 can't get much better really. Other than all races back on BBC.

ArrowsFA1
10th July 2012, 08:19
If it was say Austria 2001 & 2002 how would he/one have handled it?
That would have been an awkward situation for any interviewer and the drivers :eek:

wedge
10th July 2012, 12:17

Raw emotion from the drivers.

In America they have the Winner's Circle.

Ironically, the broohaha over coverage of press conferences they're generally rather dull affairs rarely offer clues, emotion, insight.

But then for someone like Hamilton the press officers AKA PR hacks offers a check on the drivers.

Ranger
10th July 2012, 14:17

If you are watching at home: probably not.

The reaction of the crowd during those interviews was phenomenal. It was definitely better than televising a sanitised press conference.

I have been to a Formula 1 race and unless you are a VIP, the value for money is not a lot.

Anything that further satisfies the sport's paying audience within reason is a good thing.

ShiftingGears
10th July 2012, 14:57
I enjoy the fan/crowd interaction. Something about it makes it more endearing than press conferences. If I had known there would be the podium conference I would have stayed tuned to watch it.

wedge
23rd July 2012, 13:46
Good ol' Niki Lauda: "A Spanish driver in an Italian car winning the German Grand Prix!" :D

Tazio
23rd July 2012, 14:16
I like them, and I thought both JYS, and Niki were very entertaining. :up:

steveaki13
23rd July 2012, 22:28
Its good they found drivers who have alot of experience.

Wonder who will do it in Hungary???

Zsolt Baumgartner. Is my bet. :p :

Tazio
23rd July 2012, 22:52
Stirling Moss could get up on the podium and tell them what pussies they are :p :

donKey jote
24th July 2012, 11:38
Good ol' Niki Lauda: "A Spanish driver in an Italian car winning the German Grand Prix!" :D

Alonso said "yeah, a Spanish driver in a Italian car designed by a Greek" :p

odykas
24th July 2012, 12:58
Alonso said "yeah, a Spanish driver in a Italian car designed by a Greek" http://www.motorsportforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/%7Esiochos/smilies/bowdown.gif http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/%7Esiochos/smilies/bowdown.gif http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/%7Esiochos/smilies/bowdown.gif