PDA

View Full Version : Oh The Pain - Goodyear and Reid

disko
8th July 2012, 18:50
I am about to abort. Will someone please put us out of our misery an get rid of these clowns. The true demise of Indycar. How can you get exited with these morons representing the sport.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

SoCalPVguy
9th July 2012, 00:48
I am about to abort. Will someone please put us out of our misery an get rid of these clowns. The true demise of Indycar. How can you get exited with these morons representing the sport. uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

It doesn't matter because nobody ever sees them anyway on Versus, um, NBC sports, channel1256.

SoCalPVguy
9th July 2012, 03:19
You get strange reception on your TV. This one was on ABC. ;)

LOLOLOL I was wine tasting in the Santa Ynez valley (think of the movie Sideways) and didn't get to see it ;-)

drewdawg727
9th July 2012, 11:19
I honestly didn't believe yesterday's broadcast was all that bad ....
At least they can pronounce the driver's names correctly. I heard plenty of excitement in their voices and they seemed really on top of it and I think they caught a great glimpse of the entire field all race long.

Only thing that bugs me about ABC is that they refuse to show any replays of incidents (Power/Newgarden). And the one they do show is from a high-above view where you can barely see what happened.

FIAT1
9th July 2012, 12:55
I honestly didn't believe yesterday's broadcast was all that bad ....
At least they can pronounce the driver's names correctly. I heard plenty of excitement in their voices and they seemed really on top of it and I think they caught a great glimpse of the entire field all race long.

Only thing that bugs me about ABC is that they refuse to show any replays of incidents (Power/Newgarden). And the one they do show is from a high-above view where you can barely see what happened.

Agree on high above, it's useless. Indycar tv should learn from F1 on camera position and how to properly broadcast motor race, and they need someone in the booth who can sell it with enthusiasm.

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 14:10
Interesting starter..

Because IMO the only thing worse then the announcing is the directing...

Yesterday's broadcast was horrendous IMO... Borderline unwatchable

Indycar is the only racing I follow passionately. . It's all I have time for..

I haven't watched f1 in years.... But caught the first 30 min yesterday because of the start time...... I was blown away... The broadcast the announcers the cars the speed ... No comparison and Indycar is no where near

Anubis
9th July 2012, 14:27
Interesting starter..

Because IMO the only thing worse then the announcing is the directing...

Indycar is the only racing I follow passionately. . It's all I have time for..

I haven't watched f1 in years.... But caught the first 30 min yesterday because of the start time...... I was blown away... The broadcast the announcers the cars the speed ... No comparison and Indycar is no where near

Didn't see the race, but thinking back to the Detroit coverage, I think this is a very valid point. Compared to Monaco, there was just no impression of speed at all. If V8 Supercars can convey speed and excitement at their street races, it must be possible for Indycar? Is it purely a question of resources?

drewdawg727
9th July 2012, 14:40
Interesting starter..

This, in my opinion, is a bit too far overboard...and I think that people who are THAT overly critical with the broadcast should really focus more on the racing, and look for their own battles to watch on track.

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 15:07
I Dont think it's overboard at all..

Can you name me another sport that has worse coverage?

I'd like to take a peek...

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 15:37
I can absolutely compare it to F1... And if that is the standard not only should I be... But so should Randy on down

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 15:39
If I accepted mediocrity out of my employees I would be out of business

Reid and Goodyear are not only the worst announcers in racing .. They are the worst in sport

I challenge any of your to provide footage (easy enough with YouTube etc) of a sport being presented worse than Indycar

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 16:19
incredible table tennis deuce battle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJxolELh94&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Here's some Olympic ping pong ..

Check out the 2:50-3:15 mark... Unbelievable

anthonyvop
9th July 2012, 17:56

Lets be honest.

F1 is significantly quicker than IndyCar so of course it will look faster on TV

And the Budget for one broadcast is probably more than the budget to air the entire IndyCar season. You get what you pay for.

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 17:59
Tell me something I don't know Anthony

anthonyvop
9th July 2012, 18:05
Tell me something I don't know Anthony

OK

Ticket sales for the Toronto race were down 11% from the previous year.

Jag_Warrior
9th July 2012, 18:30
Lets be honest.

And the Budget for one broadcast is probably more than the budget to air the entire IndyCar season. You get what you pay for.

But GP2 is not, and (IMO) the average GP2 broadcast this year has been much better than the average ICS race. I don't mean the racing (although I would say that's true too) - I'm just talking about the production values, the direction and the commentating.

But with that said, I wasn't as turned off by the job that Reid and Goodyear did yesterday as I usually am. I mean, it's wasn't what I'd call "good"... just not as bad as the job they usually do. They do need to go though. The sooner the better. Neither has any amount of enthusiasm for what's happening on track. They totally lack the ability to build drama and excitement the way that Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett can during F1 races. These guys have a rapport with each other and the talent to build a storied drama out of even a lackluster F1 race. Reid and Goodyear, even with an action packed race, are about as exciting as watching paint dry.

BTW, I was watching a Pirelli Challenge race on NBC Sports/Verus the other day. Now those guys had some genuine enthusiasm for, and interest in, what was happening on track. I thought they did a great job. IMO, ABC/ESPN are consistent in giving mediocre presentations on (rare) good days and plain bad presentations on most other race days.

SarahFan
9th July 2012, 22:31
OK

Ticket sales for the Toronto race were down 11% from the previous year.

It looked like it

GRW1983
9th July 2012, 23:29
Well folks, at least ABC are done for the year now. NBC Sports have the remaining 5 races. Yes, I know Mid-Ohio is still being broadcast on ABC, but it's with the NBC guys calling it (except Robin Miller for obvious reasons) as well as the NBC director shooting the race, as the ABC guys are covering Nascar that weekend on both Saturday & Sunday. So, no more Marty Reid for 2012. WAHOO!!!!!

00steven
10th July 2012, 00:53
ABC sucks plain and simple. They missed both of Power's moves to getto the front, missed other huge passes, a restart, and didn't show enough replays. Goodyear and Reid were, as always, terrible.

Anubis
10th July 2012, 13:00
Lets be honest.

V8SC is slower, yet the broadcasts convey much, much more excitement, so I don't think it's just a question of outright speed.

As for worse commentating...anything involving Mark Cole or Andrew Marriot. Ever.

anthonyvop
10th July 2012, 13:46
As for worse commentating...anything involving Mark Cole or Andrew Marriot. Ever.

Andrew Marriot is the best

SarahFan
10th July 2012, 14:04
So is it safe to assume since I/we have not seen a single example presented that Indycar is in fact the worst presented sport on the planet?

And that my comments are far from an over reaction?

anthonyvop
10th July 2012, 14:28
So is it safe to assume since I/we have not seen a single example presented that Indycar is in fact the worst presented sport on the planet?

And that my comments are far from an over reaction?

It is all a matter of taste.

For me Michael Waltrip is an abomination and for others he is a godsend. To each their own.

SarahFan
10th July 2012, 14:33
Are saying that for you NASCAR presents the sport worse than Indycar?

anthonyvop
11th July 2012, 00:31
Are saying that for you NASCAR presents the sport worse than Indycar?

No...I am saying I dislike Michael Waltrip. NASCAR has done a great job of dumbing down an already low-tech series for the casual fan by making it all about the driver's personalities.

FIAT1
11th July 2012, 15:01
Perhaps Indycar does not understand their fan base that loves high tech fast cars and racing skill to master that type a machine. I don't particularly give a s ... what Michael Waltrip types are cooking for lunch. Indycar should go back to build and promote cars that make stars not other way orund.

anthonyvop
11th July 2012, 21:49
Perhaps Indycar does not understand their fan base that loves high tech fast cars and racing skill to master that type a machine. I don't particularly give a s ... what Michael Waltrip types are cooking for lunch. Indycar should go back to build and promote cars that make stars not other way orund.

I have to disagree with your there. IndyCar has to cater to the casual fan. They are the ones who pay the bills.

The fan base that loves High-tech abandoned IndyCar years ago when it became a spec series. Frankly I don't see the ICS opening up the rules to promoting innovation by allowing different builders and engines anytime soon. The best you can hope for is for RB to ignore the owners and allow different aero kits for 2013.

FIAT1
12th July 2012, 13:34
I have to disagree with your there. IndyCar has to cater to the casual fan. They are the ones who pay the bills.

The fan base that loves High-tech abandoned IndyCar years ago when it became a spec series. Frankly I don't see the ICS opening up the rules to promoting innovation by allowing different builders and engines anytime soon. The best you can hope for is for RB to ignore the owners and allow different aero kits for 2013.

...and casual fan is? Why not make hockey to be played like bocce ball on ice so casual fan can get a grip on things. Casual fans don't know the diference anyways, therefore it is very stupid to lose fan-atics who know what they want and come to the races for that reason alone year after year. All I'm saying Indycar should go back to what they used to be, series of open competition ,innovation and speed . There is plenty of spec oround for those who like that sort of thing.

SarahFan
12th July 2012, 17:29
Honest question...

In the 90's how much were CART teams paying for a Lola Reynard or swift?

FIAT1
12th July 2012, 19:52
I'm all for that. Now, please explain where the money for all that is coming from.

You need chassis first. That won't be a problem as there are a few companies who would be willing to provide them. The open question is: How much will they cost? Dallara did it, but only with the stipulation that they supply the field. What will the cost be when a company can only hope to sell 20 cars at best (assumes 10 teams with a backup car each)? Your car may wind up being the car to have and you may sell more, nobody knows that going in though. So you're building a car on spec. Which mfg. can, or is willing, to do that in today's economy? How many teams can afford new cars that are priced so that the mfgs. at least break even?

Let's talk engines now. There were exactly three engine builders to step up for the spec motors. All were backed by road car companies and one of those three couldn't cut the mustard. All of the other potential engine builders were not interested in submitting a bid. Some might have if a major company wrote the checks, but you'll notice no other major car company was interested. Can you get someone to build a more powerful engine? Sure, many have the capability and could do it for a price (much, much, higher than is being paid per engine today). But, again, who is going to pay for it?

I'm all for the open competition in cars and motors and am disappointed that we don't have that today. The reality is that the world as a whole has changed and this series more than a little. It is NOT GOING TO GO BACK anytime in the near or middle future. If that's your prime interest in IndyCar, then I suggest you find a new hobby. Many other people have. Me, I'm a fan of racing so I'll stick around because I get the same kick out of watching six FVs battle for the lead on a club track as I get from watching IndyCar or F1.

I understand what you trying to say, and without giving any lectures I allways wonder why Ferrari owners can't be satisfied with Mustang as they should get a same kick right? Good vine or bad vine it's a vine right? Well, if that's what thinking is on George st. they won't go far ,and they will remain to be minor league in motor racing.

FIAT1
13th July 2012, 13:31
Ferrari owners, almost by definition, are owners because they have the resources to pay for them. That is absolutely NOT the case for any but maybe two teams in IndyCar. Big difference.

Yep. that is the case in every series, but when you open competition and enyone can buy parts or kits from vendor of their choice makes things more affordable . Everything in life with more choices prices goes down. I'm not saying that they should replace the car every year, but allow others to compete for parts,kits, and other development pieces. That brings on the conversation, new talent of engineers and tech people want to be part of it, other engine manuf. would take a look, media would be more intrigued .Teams would attract more companies and it would be good for everyone. We have series with few welded pipes, carburated motor and bigger hoods for people who are in to that, I would like Indycar to be a pinacle of American motor racing as it was before where auto manufacturers want to come and develop their product. Keeping at spec will take them nowhere, and I don't care how many ferris wheels you put in enfield. There is trumendus automotive engineering talent in this country that needs a sand box to play in. Give it to them!!!

garyshell
13th July 2012, 20:27
Yep. that is the case in every series, but when you open competition and enyone can buy parts or kits from vendor of their choice makes things more affordable . Everything in life with more choices prices goes down.

You might want to go back to Econ 101 and rethink that. Yes, your premise is true IF, and only if, you have a large enough potential market share over which to spread your development costs. For a new manufacturer, or two or three, to step in they have to factor in how many cars they will sell and distribute the deveopment costs over that number of chassis. The numbers just don't work out. Not if you superimpose the need to keep the costs down because the teams no longer have the big budgets that they once had.

I'd love to see multiple chassis and more engines. I just don't se HOW to make that happen. Who pays for this? And where does the money come from?

Gary

Granatelli
14th July 2012, 14:42
I happen to have liked the coverage of the Toronto Indy. They captured the pit action well and I enjoyed the anouncers, I thought they brought a sense of excitement to the race. I also think the broadcast was better than most nascar broadcasts I have seen lately.

Boogety boogety boogety

DBell
21st July 2012, 23:49
Definitely time for Bob J to hang it up. I just heard him say how sorry the people at NBC Sorts were for the terrific tragedy in Colorado during Edmonton qualifying. I even ran the dvr back and played it again to make sure I heard right. I know Jenkins is dealing with his own family troubles, but that is ridiculous. I have never seen someone on TV who says the wrong word from what he means to say as much as he does. How long do we have to listen to the absent-minded race announcer?

00steven
22nd July 2012, 01:07
How long do we have to listen to the absent-minded race announcer?

5 more races.

anthonyvop
22nd July 2012, 02:37
Definitely time for Bob J to hang it up. I just heard him say how sorry the people at NBC Sorts were for the terrific tragedy in Colorado during Edmonton qualifying. I even ran the dvr back and played it again to make sure I heard right. I know Jenkins is dealing with his own family troubles, but that is ridiculous. I have never seen someone on TV who says the wrong word from what he means to say as much as he does. How long do we have to listen to the absent-minded race announcer?

The use of the word "Terrific" is perfectly applicable and used correctly. I refer you defintion #3 even though #1 is applicable as well.

ter·rif·ic
   [tuh-rif-ik] Show IPA
adjective
1.extraordinarily great or intense: terrific speed.
2.extremely good; wonderful: a terrific vacation.
3.causing terror; terrifying.

Terrific | Define Terrific at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrific)

DBell
22nd July 2012, 14:24
The use of the word "Terrific" is perfectly applicable and used correctly. I refer you defintion #3 even though #1 is applicable as well.

Terrific | Define Terrific at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrific)

:rolleyes: OK, in modern language of the way we speak, how often do you hear terrific used in the way of definition number 3? I would say that is pretty much never. I'm fairly certain Bob meant to say horrific. Point of all this is that Jenkins does this all the time, saying the wrong word from the word he means to say. He's been announcing for a long time and supposed to be a pro, yet he fumbles with his words like someone learning the language. Enough is enough. Mushmouth from 'Fat Albert" would be better at this point.

anthonyvop
22nd July 2012, 14:46
:rolleyes: OK, in modern language of the way we speak, how often do you hear terrific used in the way of definition number 3? I would say that is pretty much never. I'm fairly certain Bob meant to say horrific. Point of all this is that Jenkins does this all the time, saying the wrong word from the word he means to say. He's been announcing for a long time and supposed to be a pro, yet he fumbles with his words like someone learning the language. Enough is enough. Mushmouth from 'Fat Albert" would be better at this point.

Not a fan of Bob Jenkins but I applaud anyone who uses his vocabulary to its fullest. I'll take it over "Boggity, Boogity, Boogity" or "Hot-Rod" any day.

SarahFan
22nd July 2012, 17:40
Didnt hear the cooment

But DBell is clearly right

nigelred5
22nd July 2012, 21:08

I use Terrific in the same manner all the time.

Terrific - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrific)

also:

Horror- ific
Terror-ific

Pretty much the same thing.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd July 2012, 02:34
To complain about ABC's coverage of Indycar, ya, I agree with Ken, it sucks. To say NBC is as bad? No...they aren't bad. Not great, not bad. Today's Edmonton show was miles better than the Toronto show was 2 weeks ago. We saw almost every major pass live, you had a sensation of speed, and Bob Jenkins, distracted and on his last few broadcasts as he is is still better than Reid; and no one can be as bad as Goodyear.

The F1 telecasts rock because they can spend the money to do what they want and do their own show. No one working an F1 race in the TV truck does anything else, Bernie does a house feed for everyone week in, week out. If F1 didn't do it right, there would be heads rolling for the money spent.

ESPN/ABC are bad, no two ways about it. Their Indy500 coverage is tolerable with the sound off, for at least they spend the money to get that track right, but hey, they have only been doing races there 50 years....I would hope they would get it right visually.

Indycar wants better TV, they will have to spend the money. Money they need to find...

Jag_Warrior
23rd July 2012, 18:42
The F1 telecasts rock because they can spend the money to do what they want and do their own show. No one working an F1 race in the TV truck does anything else, Bernie does a house feed for everyone week in, week out. If F1 didn't do it right, there would be heads rolling for the money spent.

ESPN/ABC are bad, no two ways about it. Their Indy500 coverage is tolerable with the sound off, for at least they spend the money to get that track right, but hey, they have only been doing races there 50 years....I would hope they would get it right visually.

Indycar wants better TV, they will have to spend the money. Money they need to find...

As far as the world feed, I agree with you. But if you are able to see what Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett do every race weekend, and how well prepared they (always) are, that has little to do with F1 or Bernie. That's all on Speed/Fox Sports and their team in Charlotte. Each one of them seems to have a defined role. And each one of them fills that role about as good as any broadcast team I have ever seen. When one of them finally retires, I'll probably start drinking. I'd gladly pay just to sit (quietly) in the studio and watch them work their magic - I wonder if they'd let a feller do that? Hmm... With ICS, I can kind of see that Jenkins fills the role that Varsha has at Speed. He's not as good or polished as Varsha, but at least I can recognize his role. But poor Jan... Poor ol' Jan (I guess) is supposed to be sort of like Matchett. I met Beekhuis many years ago. He's a smart fellow. He's a knowledgeable fellow. And he's a very nice fellow. He really is. But for whatever reason, "Professor B" lacks the basic ability to share the information and data that is (obviously) in front of him. As for Dallenbach, well, he's just sort of there. I think you could pretty well replace both Jan and Wally with Tommy Kendall and do even better. Kendall has twice the TV personality as those two combined, and he understands technical issues well enough to do at least as well as Jan (especially since he doesn't/won't/can't tell us what he's seeing anyway). When you watch F1 and ICS in Canada, who does your broadcasts?

And yeah, I fully agree with you. Either ICS or NBC Sports (or both) needs to get off some coin and make these broadcasts better and more exciting. The racing has actually been pretty good lately.

disko
24th July 2012, 01:42
He's been working on his broadcasting skills on Speed with Tanner - not to bad. Brings his true opinions to the table kinda like Ol Uncle Bobby. Might just work, it would definitely bring the 'racer' back into the mix. Hell, put him and Kendall on a broadcast and work out the bugs. Can it be better than goodyear, reid and cheever? Hell ya. I'd even pay you to bring Varsha in for the 500.

Come on - give the viewers a break and bring some exitement to the broadcast. Nascab shows enthusiasm in the show. Goodyear and reid are tired, old clowns.