PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News:Allmendinger Failed Drug Test

slorydn1
7th July 2012, 23:40
Allmendinger suspended for failing drug test: NASCAR announced 90 minutes before the race that #22-A.J. Allmendinger has failed a random drug test and has been "temporarily" suspended. He was randomly selected and tested following the Kentucky race and his "A" sample tested positive. He has the right to request that NASCAR test his "B" sample. Should he refuse to have the "B" sample tested, or if that test is positive, the suspension will become indefinite. Sam Hornish will replace him in the #22 at Daytona.(7-7-2012)
Official Announcement: Driver AJ Allmendinger has been temporarily suspended from NASCAR competition based upon notification of a positive "A" test NASCAR received from the Medical Review Officer as stated in Section 19-11B (6,7) of the NASCAR Substance Abuse Policy. Pursuant to the rule book, Allmendinger has the opportunity to request within the next 72 hours that his "B" sample be tested. NASCAR will follow its policies and procedures set forth in the rule book in dealing with this matter.(NASCAR)(7-7-2012)
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page (http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20120707e)

Hornish to drive the 22 if he can make it back to Daytona in time :eek:

00steven
8th July 2012, 00:28
Not good. I've been a Dinger fan since his Champcar days, quite disappointed right now.

beachgirl
8th July 2012, 00:44
Me too.

Nem14
8th July 2012, 01:32
Don't get to bummed until the 'B' sample gets tested. There can be/are false positives.

If the 'B' sample does come up positive, then you can be bummed.

Sparky1329
8th July 2012, 05:41
Who saw this coming? I sure didn't.

beachbum
8th July 2012, 11:23
I agree with Nem, I'll wait for the B sample before I jump to conclusions.I worked for a company that had quite a few positive resuilts when it first introduced drug testing. I NEVER saw a B test give a different result that the A test. The labs these days are very good and very rarely make mistakes.

The key elements are the drug found, the level, and the response from Dinger. Like most sports, the drugs tested and the levels are pretty strict (as they should be). Seeing anything other than small amounts of restricted prescription drugs after a race when the test was given is a very serious issue. How Dinger handles this will say a lot about him as a person.

I am sure this will be a big story over the next few days and the full story will come out. But it is a sure way to kill a career.

muggle not
8th July 2012, 14:28
Obviously it doesn't look good. However, I agree with most, we need to let it evolve and see if additional info surfaces that would negate the test results. I am really dissapointed if the tests prove that AJ is taking illegal drugs as defined by Nascar..

MD24
9th July 2012, 00:31
DUI a few years ago and now this, what an idiot.

00steven
9th July 2012, 00:50
He wouldn't have to sit out a race if there was nothing to it.

GravettFan99
9th July 2012, 02:18
I'm quite disappointed with A.J., I've been a fan of his since he started NASCAR. http://smileyicons.net/smilies/332.gif He won the Rolex 24-hour race just this year and was in a positive place among the fans, and came close to taking his maiden win in NASCAR not too long ago. I really hope he can find his way out of this one, or all of that is going to change. http://smileyicons.net/smilies/357.gif

Roamy
9th July 2012, 18:14
I would like to know what the substance is. If it is any of the coke, meth etc then I hope he is banned for life. We just don't need this sh!t.

GravettFan99
10th July 2012, 01:08
Allmendinger:"Shell Shocked" by failed drug test (http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8143149/business-manager-says-aj-allmendinger-shell-shocked-failed-drug-test)

Alexamateo
10th July 2012, 01:24
Just speculation on my part, I know gossip says he is recently separated from his wife, so I would imagine he took/did something fairly recently and truly was popped by the random drug testing that they do from time to time. (Just like when I was working for a corporation,and the e-mail went out that said I had two hours to go to such and such clinic for a random screening. ) Maybe it's just the wrong week for something like this to happen. If that is it, he'll go to counseling and be reinstated shortly and on probation.

Now that's with Nascar, I don't know what Penske will do. Truthfully,it depends on if he's looking to get rid of the guy or not. Nascar has more good drivers than seats right now so it puts AJ in a heck of a pinch regardless.

On edit: I was clean when I was randomly tested, when I re-read that, I was not clear in my meaning. :D I just wanted to point out that sometimes people are randomly tested when they least expect it. The other guy that went with me though ( a delivery driver) was popped for pot.

MD24
10th July 2012, 05:45
Allmendinger requests testing of "B" sample: Suspended Sprint Cup driver AJ Allmendinger on Monday took the first step in trying to get his failed drug test reversed

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... rce=JAYSKI (http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8143149/suspended-sprint-cup-driver-aj-allmendinger-requests-b-sample-tested&campaign=link&source=JAYSKI)

MD24
10th July 2012, 05:49
Allmendinger requests testing of "B" sample: Suspended Sprint Cup driver AJ Allmendinger on Monday took the first step in trying to get his failed drug test reversed

Suspended Sprint Cup driver AJ Allmendinger requests to have 'B' sample tested - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8143149/suspended-sprint-cup-driver-aj-allmendinger-requests-b-sample-tested&campaign=link&source=JAYSKI)

Jag_Warrior
10th July 2012, 16:52
Like others here, I was shocked to hear about this. I've also been a fan of A.J.'s since he was banging wheels with Paul Tracy in Champ Car several years ago. I most certainly do not condone drug use, but I also don't want to see a promising driver get banned for life over one mistake. Since Grand Am (which I believe is a NASCAR subsidiary) allowed J.C. France to come back after doing nothing more than laying low for awhile (after doing a bad impersonation of Tony "Scarface" Montana on the streets of Daytona), I believe that A.J. should also get a second chance, if these charges are proven true.

Nem14
10th July 2012, 20:17
Mistake?

No second chances when 200 mph, 3400 lb racing machines are involved.

Other peoples lives are at stake, including pit crews and spectators.

For the millions of $$$$$$$$'s these guys get supported with, and the public visibility that goes with the job, there is no excuse, none, zip, nada, for using recreational drugs when you know that random testing is being used.

heliocastroneves#3
10th July 2012, 22:04
NASCAR drivers are idiots, a race car driver shouldn't use drugs at all...

ShiftingGears
11th July 2012, 01:02
NASCAR drivers are idiots

All two of them?

Nem14
11th July 2012, 03:22
NASCAR drivers are idiots, a race car driver shouldn't use drugs at all...Did you know that back in the day several Indy Car drivers regularly used recreational drugs? One driver and his father went to jail for the drug trafficking ring they ran. - John Paul, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jr)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul,_Sr.

Jonesi
11th July 2012, 05:35
Did you know that back in the day several Indy Car drivers regularly used recreational drugs? One driver and his father went to jail for the drug trafficking ring they ran. - John Paul, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jr)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul,_Sr.

Not to mention the Whittingtons and Randy Lanier.

00steven
11th July 2012, 07:15
Not to mention the Whittingtons and Randy Lanier.

Yuuuckkk!

GravettFan99
11th July 2012, 09:16
a race car driver shouldn't use drugs at all...

That statement I agree with, but with the society we live in today, there could be any set of grubby hands that takes the wrong stuff. :s kull: I hope that Test B will provide proof of his innocence, though. I'm still just as shocked as I was when I found this article. :eek:

Jag_Warrior
11th July 2012, 21:20
Mistake?

No second chances when 200 mph, 3400 lb racing machines are involved.

Other peoples lives are at stake, including pit crews and spectators.

For the millions of $$$$$$$$'s these guys get supported with, and the public visibility that goes with the job, there is no excuse, none, zip, nada, for using recreational drugs when you know that random testing is being used.

I appreciate your feelings on the issue. I really do. First, we don't know what the substance was. It should not necessarily be assumed that the drug was "recreational". For all we know, it could have been a prescription drug that was prohibited. I don't know. No one (in the public) does at this point. But let me ask you this, when truck drivers get DUI's, do they lose their CDL's for life? The answer is, no, they do not. Why not? In their case, they're not out there with other racers who have some idea of the various risks involved in being on a race track (though I admit, getting hit by a drunk or drugged racer is NOT one of those agreed upon risks). They're out there with totally innocent members of the public - babies and small children included.

Even though I do not use drugs myself, I do have a rather libertarian view toward drugs and other issues dealing with personal choice. But don't think that I'm am light on drug use among those who can put the lives of others at risk (even and especially drugs that are prescribed... which are actually the source of abuse that many/most people won't/can't recognize). But I also recognize hypocrisy (not by you, but in general). While we can get up in arms about A.J. Allmendinger losing the privilege of driving a race car in a NASCAR sanctioned series for the rest of his life, funny thing is, once he gets this decision, he can still go out, get in his car and drive on the highway amongst all the soccer moms and prom queens that occupy the public highways. Also, not that long ago, a "nice young man" by the name of J.C. France had a night of fun and revelry doing coke and doing a bit of "Clockwork Orange" street racing with his Lambo near Daytona, FL. He got caught by a cop. He got arrested. They found the coke. I'll let J.C. tell you the rest of the story. You can find him (still) at any NASCAR sanctioned Grand Am race. So would it be OK if A.J. raced in Grand Am if his Sprint Cup gig dries up, or would he have to change his name to France? Well, if that doesn't work out, I guess he could always get a CDL and drive a big rig on U.S. highways at some point.

Nem14
11th July 2012, 23:00
We now know it was s 'stimulant' that registered just over the allowable threshold.

We await the results of the 'B' sample test.

Nem14
13th July 2012, 20:27
IIRC in Indy car, driving under the influence (a drug policy) has been an issue longer than it has been in NASCAR. NASCAR had it's regular drug users too in the 80's.

Pretty much the same way NASCAR dragged it's feet about mandating safety features in it's race cars and making safety equipment mandatory for it's drivers.

Chris R
15th July 2012, 13:27
Drug it's feet? As I recall, NASCAR was the first to make the HANS, (or similar safety device) mandatory.

CART = 2000
NASCAR = 2002
Formula 1 = 2003

I think NHRA beat them all to the punch - but not sure.....

I think it is bit unfair to criticize NASCAR for dragging their feet as much as many of us do (they are a big organization who tend to be very deliberate about any changes- - for better or worse) - but it is equally unwise to think they are a leader in any sort of innovation.

Lee Roy
15th July 2012, 18:53
CART = 2000
NASCAR = 2002
Formula 1 = 2003

How about the IRL?

Also according to wikipedia, you're a bit off on CART and NASCAR.

Using that information, CART made the device compulsory for oval tracks in 2001, later requiring the HANS devices for all circuits. Starting in October, 2001, NASCAR mandated either the HANS or Hutchens device head and neck restraint be used, going with the HANS device exclusively starting in 2005.

Chris R
16th July 2012, 03:27
Don't know about the IRL. I saw the Wikipedia article too but it seemed kinda wonky - so I did some more digging - my years were from an article by Dr. Bob Hubbard - one of the developers of HANS...... It is possible that CART started USING them in 2001 after mandating them in the 2000 off-season.... NASCAR was specifically late 2002 so think it was towards the end of the 2002 season they were made mandatory. NASCAR did APPROVE the HANS and Hutchins devices for use soon after Earnhardt's death - I not sure the drivers were allowed to race with them before that...

Chris R
16th July 2012, 11:58
I re-read the article I was reading:The History Of The HANS Device As Told By Dr. Bob Hubbard » Catchfence (http://www.catchfence.com/2006/perspectives/03/27/the-history-of-the-hans-device-as-told-by-dr-bob-hubbard/) - it looks consistent with what you said - first FULL season for NASCAR was 2002 - I thought it was "late" in 2002 but looking again , it doesn't say that specifically - it infers it - obviously the author meant late the previous season(2001)..... he seems to have the same basic issue with CART -but there he states it was approved in 2000 but infers the first full season was 2001....

either way, NASCAR was not the first to mandate it...

My apologies for the mistakes - it is interesting that such a groundbreaking thing is really not covered very well (or apparently, very accurately) by multiple sources (for example, the SI articles gets Hubbard's name wrong, different sources list different dates, the is NO information on the IRL and HANS, multiple places seem to confuse "approving" with "mandating"...)

I know you are a strong supporter of NASCAR and I was in no way trying to "dis" NASCAR - just dig up the facts.....

Nem14
17th July 2012, 00:41
Nascar approved the HANS and the Hutchinson devices for use by it's drivers in 2001, but didn't mandate their use until 2002.

Chris R
17th July 2012, 12:51
AutoRacing1.com - NASCAR Good O'l Boys Page (http://www.autoracing1.com/goodboys/001207HANS4.htm)

some reading from the era - this is pre-Earnhardt death.....

00steven
17th July 2012, 13:09
Steve Olvey's (CART Medical director) book has very good info on the issue of racing safety and is a hell of a read.

Chris R
17th July 2012, 15:32
Steve Olvey's (CART Medical director) book has very good info on the issue of racing safety and is a hell of a read.

The meat of what he says is great, and I loved the book - but unfortunately, it seemed like his fact checking was a bit weak (I don't remember exact stuff but more than once he got years and things like that mixed up - nothing that took away from his overall message and story and nothing that seemed to be purposefully in error - but stuff that makes it difficult to cite his book as a reference of fact.....)

Chris R
17th July 2012, 15:39
NASCAR.com - Competitors voice support for NASCAR mandate - October 17, 2001 (http://www.nascar.com/2001/NEWS/10/17/restraints_reax/index.html)

Here is a NASCAR article with the exact timeline, circumstances of the HANS/Hutchens mandate. it was mandatory from October 17, 2001 on.....

Alexamateo
18th July 2012, 05:21
My goodness Lee Roy, Chris posted a link to a series of articles from 2000 that were written in response to the recent deaths of Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper. While you may not have a high opinion of the website that originally posted the article, it does not mean that everything on there is without merit.

Chris admitted his error of fact from earlier in the thread and is trying to have a conversation, so he posted articles written from the time the debate was going on.?

Would you not think that if someone responded to you in the manner you responded to Chris, that that person was acting like a jerk?

Mark in Oshawa
23rd July 2012, 03:03
Getting back on topic, someone above said AJ was split from his wife, which may have him a little lost and maybe he did do something he shouldn't have. I am hoping it isn't that, and his wife Lynn is a semi local gal, I am sad to hear about her leaving him.

He will get a second chance if he does his Mea culpa's and is honest about how the drug got there. I get the feeling however he is claiming it is something like an energy/vitamin cocktail that did this, since it was a stimulant. I get the impression this isn't a Jeremy Mayfield thing, and there could actually be a rational explaination.

call_me_andrew
25th July 2012, 05:17
B-sample tested positive!

AJ Allmendinger indefinitely suspended by NASCAR after B sample test | From the Marbles - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/aj-allmendinger-indefinitely-suspended-nascar-b-sample-test-010124910--nascar.html)

00steven
25th July 2012, 06:20
There go's his career...

MD24
1st August 2012, 17:10
Penske Racing announced today that AJ Allmendinger has been released as driver of the No. 22 Dodge Charger in the NASCAR Cup Series. Allmendinger was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR last week for a positive drug test

Penske Racing - News (http://penskeracing.com/news/index.cfm?cat_id=605&cid=51281)

rabf1
2nd August 2012, 17:04
"There go's his career... "

Yes, unless he really did fail by a tiny fraction and it can be shown it was an unintentional consequence from an energy drink or some type of legitimate supplement.

As such, I don't understand why he doesn't just disclose what the "stimulant" was, what the exact amount was that showed up on the test, and his theory about where it came from.

I am evil Homer
7th August 2012, 11:41
I doubt he's allowed to disclose it. As for how it got there and in that amount - I believe that investigation is still ongoing.

MD24
7th August 2012, 17:38
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- AJ Allmendinger tested positive for prescription Adderall, the suspended NASCAR driver told ESPN in an exclusive interview Tuesday.
Adderall is typically prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Allmendinger said. He does not have ADHD and therefore had no prescription.
He explained that he had been out in Louisville, Ky., the Wednesday before the Quaker State 400 race at Kentucky Speedway and was tired.

AJ Allmendinger tested positive for prescription Adderall - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8243320/aj-allmendinger-tested-positive-prescription-adderall&campaign=link&source=JAYSKI)

Nem14
7th August 2012, 20:10
"A friend, Allmendinger said, handed him a pill and stated it was a workout supplement that would give him energy. Allmendinger ingested the pill. "

Career FAIL.

Some friend huh?

Sparky1329
8th August 2012, 05:23
With friends like that, who needs enemies!

JasonD
8th August 2012, 18:04
I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for AJ. Any fool that would take a random pill from a friend has to be one of the dumbest tools out there. He shouldnt be allowed to walk down the street by himself let alone drive a car at 200mph.

I do wonder though, how often are drivers "randomly" tested? Could this have been a setup by someone, or did someone know/see AJ take something which prompted a phone call to NASCAR and a subsequent test? I dont know if there is any merit to that theory...

In the end, he deserved what he got for being so fracking stupid. If AJ considers himself an athlete like many professional drivers do then he never would have taken some random pill.

rabf1
8th August 2012, 19:23
"I doubt he's allowed to disclose it."

Of course he is "allowed" to disclose it and finally did. Adderall is a drug I would expect a race car driver to take if he is trying to cheat. It significantly enhances your concentration and focus. Basically, it puts you "in the zone." His story is not believable. I think he would have been better off if he just admitted he took it to try to enhance is performance. Its not like he tok meth or cocaine or something.

gerkebi
8th August 2012, 20:19
I think he ought to start courting Shire Parmaceuticals for sponsorship when he completes the program.

wedge
9th August 2012, 15:01
I feel so bad for Roger Penske.

Not even 12 months and another driver has got to go and needs to find another driver.

nigelred5
10th August 2012, 12:15
some pair of sons he's got there too....

Jag_Warrior
13th August 2012, 17:56
some pair of sons he's got there too....

You got that right. Maybe A.J. can come to the ICS and drive for Greg. They can bring on that pharmaceutical company... and Depends underwear. They could call the entry the PeePee Express.

MD24
15th August 2012, 21:19
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- It is highly unlikely that AJ Allmendinger's positive test for amphetamines resulted from a single pill taken one time, as the suspended Sprint Cup driver recently stated, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

AJ Allmendinger's Adderall defense disputed by source - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8271710/aj-allmendinger-adderall-defense-disputed-source&campaign=link&source=JAYSKI)

Nem14
19th September 2012, 03:33
NASCAR has re-instated AJ.

I wonder about the status of his FIA license.

Alexamateo
19th September 2012, 04:33
He was Penske's guest at Fontana Saturday night. Some are saying he might still end up being a Penske employee.