PDA

View Full Version : a question about time speed distance rally.

Prasun Hazra
7th July 2012, 17:32
As Clerk of the Course of a time speed distance rally I want to know my duties during the rally.

D-Type
7th July 2012, 18:19
I'm not sure what you mean by a "time speed distance" rally. presumably it is a traditional rally where drivers have to cover each stage in a set time to average a set average speed. Is it a rally where they get penalised only for lateness or is it one where they get penalised either for lateness or for earliness?

I have a copy of an old FIA Yellow Book. It refers primarily to a race meeting, but in principle the requirements will also apply to a rally. It defines the responsibilities of thethe different office holders: Stewards of the Meeting,the Clerk of the Course, the Secretary of the Meeting, Timekeepers, Scrutineers, Observers, Judges of Fact, etc. The minimum for a meeting is two Stewards, the Clerk of the Course and Timekeepers.

Essentially the Clerk of the Course isresponsible for the organisation of the meeting. As the Yellow Book puts it: "The Clerk of the Course is is responsible for conducting the meeting in accordance with the Official Programme" It then lists his duties morefully. They are too numerous to list here but in essence he has to make sure all the other officials are present and properly equipped, that drivers are eligible, receive protests and pass them to the Stewards and generally run the meeting.

You really need a current copy of the Yellow Book. I'm not certain, but I think you should be able to find a lot of current information on the FIA web site.

D-Type
7th July 2012, 21:58
Yes, the regulations are on the FIA website see
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/23B5546FE9DCF64CC12579D000290C7C/$FILE/2012.02.03_Code%20Sportif%20International%20%28FR-EN%29.clean.pdf
Chapter X Section 142 states actual duties but you may have to look around for rally-specific issues.

(I see a meeting now needs three Stewards not two, presumably so they can vote on tricky decisions)