PDA

View Full Version : hi-tech in cars -the learning curve cunundrum

race aficionado
6th July 2012, 17:52
I haven't bought a car in ages and when I rent the cars are basic boring automatics.

I saw this article and I found it very interesting now that it involves cars and all the new tech gadgets that have inundated our daily lives.

What say you? is it too much, too fast? Or is it: you better stick with the program or you will be left behind grandpa!

Bumpy road as hi-tech in cars amazes, perplexes - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57467534/bumpy-road-as-hi-tech-in-cars-amazes-perplexes/)

Malbec
6th July 2012, 18:05
I haven't bought a car in ages and when I rent the cars are basic boring automatics.

I saw this article and I found it very interesting now that it involves cars and all the new tech gadgets that have inundated our daily lives.

What say you? is it too much, too fast? Or is it: you better stick with the program or you will be left behind grandpa!

Bumpy road as hi-tech in cars amazes, perplexes - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57467534/bumpy-road-as-hi-tech-in-cars-amazes-perplexes/)

I can't stand this kind of stuff, its just more kit that keeps drivers' eyes off the road and staring at some screen instead.

Just give me a CD player and a radio with an air-con if its hot and I'm perfectly happy.

Zico
6th July 2012, 19:07
As above, I dont really care much for Hi tech gizmos, maybe I am being left behind in the technology stakes but I dont feel Im missing much tbh, I also like to service and maintain my own cars so simplicity is best for me.

I was given an Android smartphone for my christmas last year.. I immediately unlocked/jailbroke it, installed a custom ROM and explored its capabilities for 2-3 days, ever since its been used soley as a phone to make calls and the odd text... If I bought a modern high tech car I reckon the same would happen with that also.

Gregor-y
6th July 2012, 21:45
Ergonomics have really been a low priority for carmakers lately.

ioan
6th July 2012, 21:49

It is amazing how automotive constructors manage to earn a fortune by making larger margins on gizmos then on their own cars.
It all depends on people being stupid enough to pay foe overpriced electronics like for example 6000 Euro for a BMW multimedia center which can't do more than a 300 Euro smartphone or a tablet can.

airshifter
7th July 2012, 05:27
Personally I think cars have reached a point of tech overkill in some areas. No matter how nice you make it, to some extent it's still a car. Good built in navigation and bluetooth might be great for people that spend a lot of time behind the wheel, but at the end of the day I'd rather have better steering input and brake feel.

I also agree with Gregor-y that basic ergonomics are bottom of the barrel in a lot of todays cars.

race aficionado
7th July 2012, 18:58
I do love the GPS feature.
It saved my marriage.

Sent from my iPhone

Jag_Warrior
7th July 2012, 20:27
I guess for the younger generation of buyers (who live & die on their smartphones and tablets), this stuff is OK. But even for them, if done wrong, it can tank your quality ratings and reputation:

Technology complaints were a big reason Ford dropped recently from 5th to 23rd in overall customer satisfaction.

The only auto tech that I like/require, other than a good sound system, air conditioning and basic controls, would be GPS. To me, the rest of it is superfluous.

Mark
7th July 2012, 21:05
In built GPS is nice bit useless. Best to get it on a smartphone as its updated every few months. As opposed to every 10 years...

race aficionado
7th July 2012, 22:14
I use it in my iPhone and of course I connect it to the car's power supply because that baby eats the battery real fast.

Sent from my iPhone

janneppi
8th July 2012, 00:28
In built GPS is nice bit useless. Best to get it on a smartphone as its updated every few months. As opposed to every 10 years...
Indeeds, I've used my Nokia's in-built navigation for automobile and pedestrian routes for three years with pretty good success. Sure, a ready installed navigation looks sleek, but as you say it's not necessary up to date, at least not free.

ioan
8th July 2012, 19:30

Exactly, especially when you consider that Audi asks 250 Euro for an updated set of maps.

schmenke
11th July 2012, 15:19
I've never owned a vehicle equipped with GPS/navigation system, but I can't help but feel it would likely be the least used feature :s .
I can understand its benefits for a taxi driver or delivery person, but I can't think of it being particularly useful for the average driver. I certainly couldn’t see myself paying for the gizmo for the few times that I’d likely use it during a typical year.

Gregor-y
11th July 2012, 17:24
At the last rally I attended I had to lead about 30 cars full of timekeepers and marshals to a stage. I plotted it all out with a road map but one of the captains had GPS and wanted to try it out. So I followed them and watched as they turned off the main road on to a dirt track three miles before the turn I had noted. The road had 'Dead End' signs posted so while they turned I kept going and thankfully everyone else did the same and we were able to get everyone in position.

At another event I was helping some friends and they crashed in a blizzard on the second day. We packed up our stuff in the service park (not having any spares for what was broken) and went off in search of the stage. The truck had GPS and sent us on two four mile loops of the same country roads before we convinced the driver it wasn't working properly and we actually had been this way twice before. The falling snow and distance scale on the GPS system didn't let him see that we were circling.

That said I think it could be useful in cities where street names change every block or streets aren't laid out on a recognizable pattern. You just would need to balance looking at it against dealing with the chaotic traffic those kinds of cities have.