PDA

View Full Version : Marussia F1 should they be allowed to race this weekend ?

CNR
5th July 2012, 01:14
After the crash this week there are reports that she was slowing the car down when it suddenly accelerated
if something like this was to happen in pitlane how dangerous could it be

WTF :p imp:

newspapers taking advantage of this by placing in it in 6 day old news links

Mirror.co.uk 6 days ago
Maria de Villota crash: Formula One test-driver may never race again after ... Test drive horror: Marussia Formula 1 driver Maria de Villota "conscious" after crash

6 days ago
De Villota loses eye in F1 crashJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Maria de Villota has lost her right eye after crashing at a straightline aerodynamic test on Tuesday, .

KFMB News 8 5 days ago
Formula One test driver Maria de Villota has lost her right eye after a crash in testing for the Marussia team. Formula One test driver Maria de Villota has lost her ...

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&gl=au&tbm=nws&q=f1#q=Maria+de+Villota&hl=en&safe=off&gl=au&tbs=sbd:1,qdr:w&tbm=nws&ei=DNv0T6e9EOSoiAf2v4DiBg&start=260&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3840776303ae358a&biw=1920&bih=883

Tazio
5th July 2012, 01:29
Hmmmm I'm not aware of their being anything wrong with adding news links to existing artcles.
Like this one:
Lamborghini Sesto Elemento has been sold out (http://www.inautonews.com/lamborghini-sesto-elemento-has-been-sold-out)
It would be different if they added it to the body of the story, but I think I'm missing your point! :confused:
As for racing..............IMO they should carry on.

CNR
5th July 2012, 02:58
Hmmmm I'm not aware of their being anything wrong with adding news links to existing artcles.
Like this one:
Lamborghini Sesto Elemento has been sold out (http://www.inautonews.com/lamborghini-sesto-elemento-has-been-sold-out)
It would be different if they added it to the body of the story, but I think I'm missing your point! :confused:
As for racing..............IMO they should carry on.

they are the google links goto the web link and there is nothing about it in the story

Knock-on
5th July 2012, 03:07
Can we give Maurussia a break here. There is no evidence whatsoever that there was a car failure.

At the moment, our thoughts should be with Maria and I'm sure she would want the team to continue during what is going to be a very difficult weekend for everyone involved.

Tazio
5th July 2012, 03:21
they are the google links goto the web link and there is nothing about it in the storyI went to the link for KFMB (local SD News Station) and as I stated in my last post on this thread it is in the category of the "AP Sorts News" and the link is 3 pages back, not in the body of the story. I think your complaint may be with the Google search engine for identifying that site with the story. If anyone mislead you it is Google, what’s new? News sources are always going to have links to breaking, or current news on their sites regardless of what or when the cover story originates. What's the beef? I don't understand the issue! :confused:

Dave B
5th July 2012, 10:17
The question in the thread title isn't really a consideration. Of course they should be racing this weekend, it appears to have been a freak accident which couldn't be reproduced in a pitlane. There should be a thorough investigation, and I'm sure Marussia are already working on it, but unless there's any suggestion that it's likely to reoccur I can't see any reason to over-react.

Bagwan
5th July 2012, 13:44
While this thread has seemed to leave us all a bit cold , when there's a racer in a hospital bed , CNR has a valid question .
I would assume that the team , after having had Maria safely transported , would be in full-on investigative mode , as this sudden accelleration could never be something that could be allowed to happen in the pitlane .

If there is a simple explanation for what occurred , and they find it quickly , the cars should race .
If not , and an answer isn't found , then taking part should definitely be in doubt .

With so much data flowing from the car at such tests , it should give them lots of evidence to determine what actually happened , so racing this weekend shouldn't be an issue , providing the car isn't too damaged , if it's one of the racing chassis's .

Yesterday , I sent a message to Marussia , asking if they would consider running at Silverstone with "Maria" , instead of the team name on the rear endplate , as tribute to her ; a warm gesture that would be cool .

Tazio
5th July 2012, 14:16
While this thread has seemed to leave us all a bit cold , when there's a racer in a hospital bed , CNR has a valid question .
I would assume that the team , after having had Maria safely transported , would be in full-on investigative mode , as this sudden accelleration could never be something that could be allowed to happen in the pitlane .

If there is a simple explanation for what occurred , and they find it quickly , the cars should race .
If not , and an answer isn't found , then taking part should definitely be in doubt .

With so much data flowing from the car at such tests , it should give them lots of evidence to determine what actually happened , so racing this weekend shouldn't be an issue , providing the car isn't too damaged , if it's one of the racing chassis's .

Yesterday , I sent a message to Marussia , asking if they would consider running at Silverstone with "Maria" , instead of the team name on the rear endplate , as tribute to her ; a warm gesture that would be cool .
Well done Bag's, (the emboldened part) excellent suggestion. Marussia has an extra chassis that they will use for the race while Marussia, and UK authorities (those that handle accidents on private property, I'm sure a Brit can tell you the name of that entity) investigate the accident.

Dave B
5th July 2012, 14:48
...and UK authorities (those that handle accidents on private property, I'm sure a Brit can tell you the name of that entity) investigate the accident.
It would be the Health & Safety Executive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_and_Safety_Executive), but I haven't heard of them becoming involved at this stage.

Tazio
5th July 2012, 15:08
It would be the Health & Safety Executive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_and_Safety_Executive), but I haven't heard of them becoming involved at this stage.I saw in one of the many articles I've read on this subject that it either was, should, or will be investigated by Health & Safety Executive but I can't remember which one. :confused: :p :

Bagwan
5th July 2012, 15:36
As they are , without doubt , most knowledgeable on the car and it's characteristics , the team , overseen by FIA reps , would be first to extract whatever info that can be attained , and that is relevent to the incident .

This information , with technical conclusions , would then be submitted to the appropriate authorities .
They would likely then look at the overall picture , and seek changes , if deemed necessary .

This was testing , and something went very wrong .
They must find the answer before the cars roll out again .
It must be as simple as that .

CNR
6th July 2012, 00:53
BBC News - F1 Marussia driver Maria de Villota in Duxford crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18685789)

BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash, said the car
was slowing down when it "suddenly accelerated" into the back of the lorry

Robinho
6th July 2012, 15:33
I saw in one of the many articles I've read on this subject that it either was, should, or will be investigated by Health & Safety Executive but I can't remember which one. :confused: :p :

It will be

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

driveace
6th July 2012, 21:02
Of course they should race.This was an accident that should not have happened,but I also feel that she was only driving the car because her father was an Ex GP driver.It was only a straight line speed test,also and the error occurred. as she was pulling up behind the team truck. Accidents happen,and this one will be investigated by Health and Safety,and blame apportioned,we must wait for the verdict.In the meantime our thoughts are with the unfortunate lady driver,and her hopefully quick recovery

steveaki13
6th July 2012, 21:12
There should be nothing held against Marussia here.

Even if the car did have a problem. It can't be helped. By that I mean cars have problems in seemly far more dangerous situations in the races.

It seems to me this was an error or terrible accident.

Agree though it would be nice to see Marussia carry a Maria badge on the rear wing.

ioan
6th July 2012, 21:31
The question in the thread title isn't really a consideration. Of course they should be racing this weekend, it appears to have been a freak accident which couldn't be reproduced in a pitlane. There should be a thorough investigation, and I'm sure Marussia are already working on it, but unless there's any suggestion that it's likely to reoccur I can't see any reason to over-react.

You're 'right' a few more dead people are needed until you can elevate this from the 'freak' accident category to something worth investigating!
Massa's accident was a freak accident too, and than Suertees' accident also. How many people have to die, lose an eye, both etc... before people show interest in the fate of those whom they take pleasure from watching every 2nd Sunday?!

looking forward to ArrowFA1 and his like telling us how motorsport is inherently dangerous and that there is nothing wrong with that! :rolleyes:

TheFamousEccles
6th July 2012, 23:31
"Everything I post is my own opinion and I'll always try to back it up!"

**crickets chipping in the silence**

Dave B
7th July 2012, 12:54
You're 'right' a few more dead people are needed until you can elevate this from the 'freak' accident category to something worth investigating!
Massa's accident was a freak accident too, and than Suertees' accident also. How many people have to die, lose an eye, both etc... before people show interest in the fate of those whom they take pleasure from watching every 2nd Sunday?!

looking forward to ArrowFA1 and his like telling us how motorsport is inherently dangerous and that there is nothing wrong with that! :rolleyes:
That's possibly the most ill-informed kneejerk rant I've read in my decade on this forum.

Freak accidents are just that, freak accidents. They will always happen, I'm sorry to say, no matter how many precautions you take. Components will fail, drivers will make mistakes, sometimes a driver will simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time and become involved in somebody else's accident. The laws of physics will stubbornly refuse to change, and brilliant minds will continue to invest time and money into minimising the risks.

I'll let Arrows speak for himself, but the simple fact is that motorsport is inherently dangerous. It always has been, and unless you want to wrap every car and driver in cotton wool and bubblewrap and limit their speeds to walking pace, it always will be. We should of course strive to keep those risks to a bare minimum, but you will never completely remove risk from any sporting activity, hell, any activity, no matter how much wish it were so.

F1boat
7th July 2012, 13:00

Great post, Bagwan, nothing to add really.

Dave B
7th July 2012, 13:05
Many of the teams are running with her "star" logo on their cars or helmets. :up:

Bagwan
7th July 2012, 23:45
Many of the teams are running with her "star" logo on their cars or helmets. :up:

I didn't see that .
Nice gesture . Good on them .

MrJan
8th July 2012, 00:47

Yeah, Marussia have it on the wing mirrors and the BBC showed a shot of Lewis being very precise in putting a sticker onto his helmet :up:

TheFamousEccles
8th July 2012, 04:28
Yes, a nice gesture. I must admit I did'nt notice this on the qually broadcast, I was struggling to stay awake watching 1.5 hrs of rain ;)