PDA

View Full Version : Happy 2nd, I mean 4th of July

Tazio
4th July 2012, 16:51
Happy 2nd, I mean 4th of July. Have a great holiday America :up:

John Adams' famous letter of July 3, 1776, in which he wrote to his wife Abigail what his thoughts were about celebrating the Fourth of July is found on various web sites but is usually incorrectly quoted. Following is the exact text from his letter with his original spellings:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.

race aficionado
4th July 2012, 21:55
Hey Brits!
Your asses were kicked out of these shores a couple of hundred years ago so on this end of the world it's time to party with a delicious barbecue and some noisy colorful fireworks.

Let's paaaaartyyyyyyy.

:)

Sent from my iPhone

janvanvurpa
4th July 2012, 22:42
Always wonder why this day is celebrated, and not the END when victory was done and certain. I bellive maybe 1 in 1000 know the war went on into September 3, 1783.

And, aside from one horrible state in the NE, nobody celebrates, and few know, the day the shooting started that led to this day.
(15 months before)

Odd, iddnit?

Tazio
4th July 2012, 23:30
Always wonder why this day is celebrated, and not the END when victory was done and certain. I bellive maybe 1 in 1000 know the war went on into September 3, 1783.

And, aside from one horrible state in the NE, nobody celebrates, and few know, the day the shooting started that led to this day.
(15 months before)

Odd, iddnit?
Are you referring to the multi-national military maneuver that culminated in the devastating defeat of the British Forces under (the sore loser) Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, by the French and Continental Forces under the overall command of George Washington?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b8/Surrender_of_Lord_Cornwallis.jpg/800px-Surrender_of_Lord_Cornwallis.jpg

Thank you:
Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, Comte de Rochambeau
Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette
François-Joseph Paul, marquis de Grasse Tilly, Comte de Grasse

Odd, iddnit?
Not really most of the founding fathers saw this as a momentous event, although I love this line:

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin
at the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
:s ailor: snap!

Tazio
5th July 2012, 02:17

(15 months before)

Odd, iddnit?

And BTW The Battles of Lexington, and Concord were taught all the way out here in California. It's elementary school curriculum!

janvanvurpa
5th July 2012, 07:54
And BTW The Battles of Lexington, and Concord were taught all the way out here in California. It's elementary school curriculum!

Yeah back when youse was a kid. back when California schools were among the best in the nation, before prop 13, but ask people now under 50 "what day did the shooting start?" and see how many can answer..
One girl: December 7? with that awful rising nasal whining

What year "I dunnoooooo 1962?"
I swear to god.

Tazio
5th July 2012, 13:41
Yeah back when youse was a kid. back when California schools were among the best in the nation, before prop 13, but ask people now under 50 "what day did the shooting start?" and see how many can answer..
One girl: December 7? with that awful rising nasal whining

What year "I dunnoooooo 1962?"
I swear to god.
Amen Brother!
Although things started going south before prop 13. My parents were both educators is San Diego, according to my father when the parents in the PTA started telling credentialed teachers how to run their classes it had a very negative impact, and convoluted the systems used by the dedicated educators like him. In fact it led to him resigning and spending more time as a Navigator in the U.S. Merchant Marines, and teaching nautical navigation at a merchant marine academy extension.

GravettFan99
6th July 2012, 01:00
Hey Brits!
Your asses were kicked out of these shores a couple of hundred years ago so on this end of the world it's time to party with a delicious barbecue and some noisy colorful fireworks.

Let's paaaaartyyyyyyy.

:)

Sent from my iPhone

lol, what a way to put it. http://smileyicons.net/smilies/528.gifFair enough! ;)
Happy -belated- Independence Day! :D