View Full Version : No French F1 GP for 2008

ioan
29th March 2007, 16:48
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=30905
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=30898

zoostation
29th March 2007, 16:52
hmmm if true then im in two minds.

i dont like magny cours at all as a track, however im not to keen on losing more european races.

andreag
29th March 2007, 16:54
According to pitpass.com, the French Motor Sporting Federation (FFSA) has confirmed that its Committee, which met on 21st March, has unanimously decided to suspend the inscription of the French Grand Prix on the 2008 calendar. This means that for the first time since 1955 - the year of the Le Mans tragedy - France will not host a round of the Formula One World Championship.

The article also said that the FFSA Committee will re-examine the situation during its next meeting in July 2007.

Is this a first pass to that "Disneyland GP" recently rumored?

I don't like Magny Cours too much, but I'm afraid to find out a worst alternative.

EuroTroll
29th March 2007, 17:22
Damn Frenchies. Serves them right for not voting for the EU Constitution. ;)

Roamy
29th March 2007, 17:24
hmmm if true then im in two minds.

i dont like magny cours at all as a track, however im not to keen on losing more european races.

Well get used to it. You purged all the great little countries and made one big government sh!t pie. People who live on the edge like F1 and the like to drink, smoke and **** - all the things you want the government to regulate. I can see no more that 5 euro races in the near future. We are in the same boat they can sh!tcan indy as far as I care. so I vote for a couple of races in Mexico colombia, argentina. when fun is not sterilized!!

EuroTroll
29th March 2007, 17:38
Well get used to it. You purged all the great little countries and made one big government sh!t pie. People who live on the edge like F1 and the like to drink, smoke and **** - all the things you want the government to regulate. I can see no more that 5 euro races in the near future. We are in the same boat they can sh!tcan indy as far as I care. so I vote for a couple of races in Mexico colombia, argentina. when fun is not sterilized!!

I think you over-dramatize, fausto. In terms of drinking, somking and ****ing, European countries are still very different.

Go to Holland, for example. ;)

Of course, they're about to be run over by Muslims. :D

harvick#1
29th March 2007, 19:01
time to run the F1 cars at Lemans :D

zoostation
29th March 2007, 20:28

errrr ??

sorry i dont get what you mean tbh :s

Roamy
29th March 2007, 20:37
yes zoo my point precisely

zoostation
29th March 2007, 20:47
yes zoo my point precisely

now im even more confused?

are saying that europe is crap? if so fair enough but is it worse than... say columbia?
:s

BTCC2
29th March 2007, 21:11
Is this to make way for Singapore perhaps?

tintop
29th March 2007, 21:17
This is terrible. How can they not have a French Grand Prix? I learned to race on that track 20 years ago when it was kind of a dump, but it was still an exciting circuit if not a little dangerous (student died in the class before me).

Suppose this has nothing to do with the circuit though, F1 would rather prostitute itself for lifeless tracks in the desert and empty stands as long as the royalty payments are big enough.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th March 2007, 21:52
Magny Cours is the worst circiut currently in F1

:D

blakebeatty
29th March 2007, 22:13
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=30898

Sacrebleu!

BeansBeansBeans
29th March 2007, 22:22
Magny Cours invariably provides a dull spectacle, so I personally won't miss it. However, it concerns me that this trend for scrapping established European races (Imola / Magny Cours) could spell the demise of the British Grand Prix.

I wonder if Bernie's mooted suggestion of staging the French Grand Prix at Circuit Paul Ricard behind closed doors (ie - No spectators permitted) could now come to fruition?

Ian McC
29th March 2007, 22:50
when it was kind of a dump

I get the impression it still is, and that's the problem.

Ian McC
29th March 2007, 22:50

I have one of whatever he is smoking.

tintop
30th March 2007, 19:27
I get the impression it still is, and that's the problem.

It was pretty sleepy and run-down when we were there with Winfield in the late 80's. The coolest part of that program was the transportation that they provided us from Chateau-to-track: Peugeot Rally cars that were part of their off-road training school. Far more of a code brown experience than the actual race school especially when driving home on the tree-lined dirt roads with students after a "spirited" night at the local Inn. :p

I suspect the isolation and lack of facilities (logistics) are the driving forces behind this unfortunate event.

V12
31st March 2007, 00:32
I think you over-dramatize, fausto. In terms of drinking, somking and ****ing, European countries are still very different.

Go to Holland, for example. ;)

Of course, they're about to be run over by Muslims. :D

So is the rest of Western Europe, except Spain and Italy maybe.

I for one would hate to lose the French GP - simply for the fact that it was the first one - call me old fashioned but i want to see MORE races in Europe and Latin America - rather than go to a bunch of bland government sponsored circuits halfway around the world so that a few hundred proper fans can turn up with a bunch of rich hangers on following the latest fashion so that Bernie can comment on what a brilliant job Hermann Tilke has done with the "facilities" in between having another sly dig at Silverstone and Spa :mad:

CarlMetro
31st March 2007, 01:02
Oh well, never mind. One less boring racetrack on the calendar. All we got to do now is pray the same thing happens to Barcelona and Hungaroring. Lets hope we get something a bit more exciting in its place :)

Roamy
31st March 2007, 01:15
now im even more confused?

are saying that europe is crap? if so fair enough but is it worse than... say columbia?
:s

well columbia is the sh!t river between oregon and washington. However Colombia is a vibrant beautiful country with gorgeous women and much spirit.
A F1 race in Cartagena would not be for the meek.

tintop
31st March 2007, 03:10
Oh well, never mind. One less boring racetrack on the calendar. All we got to do now is pray the same thing happens to Barcelona and Hungaroring. Lets hope we get something a bit more exciting in its place :)

By their same logic you'd lose your grand prix. It has very little to do with the track, it's more about the accoutremonts and pocket money for Bernie than good racing or tradition.

ArrowsFA1
31st March 2007, 09:59
Magny Cours is no great loss. It always was a political creation stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Ian McC
31st March 2007, 11:10
It's true that most of Europe is being left behind by the rest of the world in terms of circuits and facilities.

BeansBeansBeans
31st March 2007, 11:21
It's true that most of Europe is being left behind by the rest of the world in terms of circuits and facilities.

The likes of Silverstone simply can't compete with the Government-funded facilities being created in Turkey and the middle-east. The BRDC just can't match them in terms of spending.

tintop
31st March 2007, 12:19
The likes of Silverstone simply can't compete with the Government-funded facilities being created in Turkey and the middle-east. The BRDC just can't match them in terms of spending.

Exactly, but is that what it's all about, fancy awnings for empty stands and convenient jetports for lazy royalty (and Bernie)?

Facility whoring to the highest bidding centrally controlled regime is hardly making F1 better. Not saying that the odd venue in a new place is a bad idea, but to do it at the expense of the sport's traditional sites in France, Britain, Italy, Belgium, Germany etc. Is a tragedy IMO. I'd happily give up the crappy track in the States to save a venue in Europe (of course I'd rather they went back to the Glen, but that's not super deluxe enough for them).

China, Malaysia, Bahrain, Singapore are a snore IMO.

savage86
31st March 2007, 12:52
I think Bernie is forgetting just about all of F1 is based in Europe.
He kills F1 in Europe he kills F1, Simple as that.
Also if he gets rid of the British GrandPrix the British Motor sport industry might also go down the pan.
Maybe this is just a ploy to get the track moved to Lemans, hope so!