PDA

View Full Version : Push to pass...

FIAT1
27th June 2012, 19:41
....or not.I don't know if I like this.

Notes: Push to pass to return for five races (http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/06-June/6-27-INDYCAR-to-reintroduce-push-to-pass)

00steven
27th June 2012, 21:01
Don't like it at all.

GRW1983
27th June 2012, 23:46
This should add another dimension to the DW12. Hopefully, a little more overtaking will happen. By the way, anybody know when IndyCar will introduce a standing start? I thought Toronto was a possibility according to some reports.

jimispeed
28th June 2012, 02:52
Sounds good to me, but is it enough power? If so, who will hit it first, and then brake last? If it's used well, then it will be a great tool. I loved how it was used in Champcar.

anthonyvop
28th June 2012, 03:01
Like it for road and street courses. Hate it for Oval races.

They do need to bring in Standing starts on all races. It would accomplish to things. First off it is much more exciting and 2nd it would solve the ridiculous problem with the sloppy starts we have now.

garyshell
28th June 2012, 04:35

They do need to bring in Standing starts on all races. It would accomplish to things. First off it is much more exciting and 2nd it would solve the ridiculous problem with the sloppy starts we have now.

I like the idea and agree it would be more exciting, but I am surprised at how much better the rolling starts have been this year. Not nearly as sloppy as in the past. Not sure I agree with standing starts on ovals though.

Gary

DBell
29th June 2012, 19:36
So if I understand this article correctly, they are going to reduce the boost pressure from 160 kPa to 150 kPa and when PTP is engaged, that will take the boost level back to 160 kPa. On other words, they are taking away 50 HP full time to allow 50 HP to be available for PTP. This is unbelievably stupid. The racing is already good, with regards to passing, so why do we need this gimmick at all? To take away 50 HP from an engine that many think needs more power for an unneeded gimmick like PTP is a head scratcher.

GravettFan99
29th June 2012, 23:16

I agree about the standing starts on all races idea, but even with standing starts-if someone stalled the car, it can cause some carnage and bent bodywork. :rolleyes:

GRW1983
29th June 2012, 23:22
I agree about the standing starts on all races idea, but even with standing starts-if someone stalled the car, it can cause some carnage and bent bodywork. :rolleyes:
Hopefully, nobody would stall as the cars have anti-stall. Although, that's probably why we haven't seen a standing start yet, as the anti-stall technology hasn't really worked so far this season. I reckon we'll see a standing start as soon as IndyCar are confident the anti-stall will work correctly.

anthonyvop
1st July 2012, 02:19
Hopefully, nobody would stall as the cars have anti-stall. Although, that's probably why we haven't seen a standing start yet, as the anti-stall technology hasn't really worked so far this season. I reckon we'll see a standing start as soon as IndyCar are confident the anti-stall will work correctly.

Early in the season there were some issues but as of late I haven't heard of anyone having problems with standing starts after a pit stop.

Mark in Oshawa
1st July 2012, 09:15
So if I understand this article correctly, they are going to reduce the boost pressure from 160 kPa to 150 kPa and when PTP is engaged, that will take the boost level back to 160 kPa. On other words, they are taking away 50 HP full time to allow 50 HP to be available for PTP. This is unbelievably stupid. The racing is already good, with regards to passing, so why do we need this gimmick at all? To take away 50 HP from an engine that many think needs more power for an unneeded gimmick like PTP is a head scratcher.

I don't like it either...but like anything else, lets see what pans out...
I would love them to be talking 900 hp and getting 950 to pass with....but that is a perfect world....

jimispeed
1st July 2012, 11:04
Whu pushes it first........who brakes last.......who is the most strategic

Champ car Push to Pass button at Portland - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfZL2e7-azs)

Champcars formula...

SPECIAL: Inside Push-to-Pass (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/special_inside_push-to-pass/)

GRW1983
1st July 2012, 11:10
Early in the season there were some issues but as of late I haven't heard of anyone having problems with standing starts after a pit stop.
I don't think after pit stops are the problem. Even if drivers do stall in the pits, they are quickly restarted so it's less noticeable. It seems, this season, to be mainly when a driver spins, he/she almost invariably stalls. I want to see standing starts introduced, but I reckon IndyCar won't introduce them until it's sure that the anti-stall is working correctly. Also, I'd hate it if you did a perfect 25 car standing start & then had a spinner 3 laps later & they stalled, bringing out a needless caution.

Ideally, you want anti-stall to work at ALL times of a race, not just in the pits or at the start. I know there were some issues at the start of the season, but it would nice to have some form of update as to how it's progressing. At the moment though, I feel that the anti-stall isn't quite there yet, but I hoped to be proved wrong.

00steven
2nd July 2012, 01:09
Hopefully they don't try standing start until they know it will work. They probably should make sure engines fire first. That being said, I'm all for standing starts on road and street courses.

anthonyvop
2nd July 2012, 04:07
Hopefully they don't try standing start until they know it will work. They probably should make sure engines fire first. That being said, I'm all for standing starts on road and street courses.

We all know that standing starts work. Every pit-stop ends with a standing start.

heliocastroneves#3
2nd July 2012, 10:37
Well, I have some ideas which are related to standing starts and push to pass, etcetera.

Push to pass

Use this only on the following tracks:

- Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
- Sonoma Raceway

Standing starts

Do this only on the following tracks:

- Streets of St. Petersburg
- Streets of Long Beach
- Streets of Sao Paulo
- The Milwaukee Mile
- Edmonton City Centre Airport
- Streets of Baltimore

I cannot explain why but on the other tracks, I don't think standing starts will be that great to watch.. The selection of tracks on where they should use push to pass, is completely based on the tracks where I have seen the most boring IndyCar races in the past 5 years. Of course that might change, as the races at Barber Motorsports Park weren't that spectacular in 2010 and 2011 as well but I saw a very enjoyable race on the track, this year.

FIAT1
2nd July 2012, 12:58
Well, I have some ideas which are related to standing starts and push to pass, etcetera.

Push to pass

Use this only on the following tracks:

- Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
- Sonoma Raceway

Standing starts

Do this only on the following tracks:

- Streets of St. Petersburg
- Streets of Long Beach
- Streets of Sao Paulo
- The Milwaukee Mile
- Edmonton City Centre Airport
- Streets of Baltimore

I cannot explain why but on the other tracks, I don't think standing starts will be that great to watch.. The selection of tracks on where they should use push to pass, is completely based on the tracks where I have seen the most boring IndyCar races in the past 5 years. Of course that might change, as the races at Barber Motorsports Park weren't that spectacular in 2010 and 2011 as well but I saw a very enjoyable race on the track, this year.

Milwaukee standing start? Think again.

anthonyvop
2nd July 2012, 16:02
Milwaukee standing start? Think again.

Why not?

I have asked before and nobody has given me one logical reason why you cannot have a standing start on an Oval.

Just imagine Indy. 33 Cars tearing blasting off down that canyon!

FIAT1
2nd July 2012, 18:03
Why not?

I have asked before and nobody has given me one logical reason why you cannot have a standing start on an Oval.

Just imagine Indy. 33 Cars tearing blasting off down that canyon!

Why not go in opposite direction and go right instead of left?

anthonyvop
2nd July 2012, 21:24
Why not go in opposite direction and go right instead of left?

Remember I want to add a "bus Stop" chicane to the back-straight to add some excitement.

bugeyedgomer
2nd July 2012, 21:31
Remember I want to add a "bus Stop" chicane to the back-straight to add some excitement.

Add one of these too
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0617/as_hot_wheels576.jpg

Marbles
5th July 2012, 21:01
I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the return of the Push to not get Passed button... uhm... perhaps I just did. This season has been refreshing enough with a new chassis, competition between engine manufacturers and decent, solid on track action but what I found most refreshing of all was passes were being made without such gimmicks as buttons that you could press or rear wings that fly open.

Could the way Indycar is implementing it really be a backdoor way of attempting to extend engine life? Would less overall HP do this even though engine revs would stay the same?

And why are we still calling it P2P? Ferchrissakes, why use three words to describe a damn button, especially when they don't describe it properly?! Can we just call it a Boost Button. It describes the buttons function to a tee.

SoCalPVguy
5th July 2012, 22:35
it is NOT push to pass" button. It is "Push to get back to the boost that we had before they reduced it so the button will bring you back to where you were before" button.

dumb dumb dumb Is TGBB involved in this ?

GRW1983
6th July 2012, 16:15
According to Robin Miller, there won't be any standing starts this year. We'll have to wait till 2013. A shame really, that they can't at least trial it at Baltimore as a pre-cursor to next year, especially as the technology for it is on the cars. I'm guessing that the anti-stall is still not quite 100% effective.

FIAT1
2nd August 2012, 16:42
it is NOT push to pass" button. It is "Push to get back to the boost that we had before they reduced it so the button will bring you back to where you were before" button.

dumb dumb dumb Is TGBB involved in this ?

.....but, there is more.

IndyCar adding 5-second delay to push-to-pass - Sports- NBC Sports (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48455035/ns/sports/)

anthonyvop
2nd August 2012, 21:06
.....but, there is more.

IndyCar adding 5-second delay to push-to-pass - Sports- NBC Sports (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48455035/ns/sports/)

The drivers staged a mini-twitter revolt yesterday

FIAT1
3rd August 2012, 13:38
The drivers staged a mini-twitter revolt yesterday

I'm not surprised ,it's very hard to understand people in Indycar, I liked racing this year without all this manufactured bs, and now they forcing drivers to almost hire acountant to keep up with numbers of push,more push,delay, and who knows what's next. Idiots!

FIAT1
6th August 2012, 12:13
Push to pass is bad idea and new format is useless.

FIAT1
30th August 2012, 14:09
Delay off again.Enough already. Eliminate this garbage and give more hp to begin with ,therefore these people can real race again.

Blancvino
30th August 2012, 14:19
No P2P, (KERS, DRS, F1's gimics), or option tires.

No refuling sans a 500 mile race.