View Full Version : Milwaukee Mile Race Thread

DanicaFan
13th June 2012, 16:12
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/milwaukee.jpg

Race 8 of 16

Race - Milwaukee IndyFest

Location - Milwaukee Mile, West Allis, Wisconsin

Date - Saturday, June 16th

Time & TV Schedule - Pre-Race Show - 1:00PM Eastern , Green Flag - Approx. 1:30PM Eastern- ABC

Course Type - 1.015 Mile Oval

Distance - 225 Laps / 228.375 Miles

Practice Sessions -

Friday, June 15th - 11:00-11:30 AM -Group A / All Cars -11:30-12:00 PM Eastern & 2:15 PM -3:15 PM Eastern
Saturday, June 16th - Systems Check -10:00 -10:05 AM Eastern

Qualifications - Friday, June 15th -5:00 PM -6:15 PM Eastern

Milwaukee Mile Track Facts

Length - 1.015 Miles
Banking - Turns -9.25 degrees, Straights -2.5 degrees

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/Milwaukee20Mile.jpg

DanicaFan
13th June 2012, 16:13
2011 Milwaukee 225 Race Information

Race Winner -Dario Franchitti
Race Pole Sitter - Dario Franchitti -170.841 mph
Time Of Race - 1 Hour 56 Minutes 44 Seconds
Average Speed- 117.39 mph
Cautions - 6 for 62 laps
Margin Of Victory -1.427 seconds
Lead Changes - 5

DanicaFan
13th June 2012, 16:15
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/milwaukeeentry1.jpg

00steven
13th June 2012, 16:19
Now this is an oval!

DanicaFan
13th June 2012, 18:50
Yes, I love Milwaukee.

DanicaFan
14th June 2012, 06:45
More penalties were given out and they will be enforced at this race. They are as follows..

Scott Dixon - unapproved engine change at Iowa test
Will Power -unapproved engine change at Texas
Justin Wilson - unapproved engine change at Iowa test
Mike Conway -unapproved engine change at Iowa test
Takuma Sato -unapproved engine change at Texas
Josef Newgarden -unapproved engine change at Texas

booger
14th June 2012, 16:46
Gosh. This race is only 2 days away and the interest here, on an Indycar forum, is overwhelming!

FIAT1
14th June 2012, 17:35
Weather will be great and we are ready for a nice weekend. Can't wait.

FIAT1
14th June 2012, 18:25
Gosh. This race is only 2 days away and the interest here, on an Indycar forum, is overwhelming!

Not many oval fans I guess, until is gone that is, and then they usually come out to give philosophical answers on what went wrong

anthonyvop
14th June 2012, 21:10
Not many oval fans I guess,

That and the fact that the GREATEST RACE IN THE WORLD is this weekend.

Milwaukee is relegated to DVR/space available Status.

DanicaFan
15th June 2012, 04:52
I think this race will be every bit as good as Texas if not better.

DanicaFan
15th June 2012, 04:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrnB6CEtGIQ&feature=g-all-u

heliocastroneves#3
15th June 2012, 14:10
Not many oval fans I guess, until is gone that is, and then they usually come out to give philosophical answers on what went wrong
I'm an oval fan but I can't be there. That's why, at least I am, a little quiet in this topic.. I already have been to Indianapolis and Texas, and I will also go to Fontana on September 15. I hope I can visit The Mile in the future though. :)

numanoid
15th June 2012, 23:23
Turnout today was very good. I think it will be a busy race day.

DanicaFan
16th June 2012, 04:36
Here is the starting lineup..

1. #10 Dario Franchitti
2. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
3. #8 Rubens Barrichello
4. #3 Helio Castroneves
5. #5 EJ Viso
6. #11 Tony Kanaan
7. #77 Simon Pagenaud
8. #27 James Hinchcliffe
9. #26 Marco Andretti
10. #4 JR Hildebrand
11. #38 Graham Rahal
12. #18 Justin Wilson
13. #98 Alex Tagliani
14. #12 Will Power
15. #6 Katherine Legge
16. #19 James Jakes
17. #67 Josef Newgarden
18. #83 Charlie Kimball
19. #2 Ryan Briscoe
20. #22 Oriol Servia
21. #9 Scott Dixon
22. #20 Ed Carpenter
23. #78 Simona De Silvestro
24. #15 Takuma Sato
25. #14 Mike Conway

bugeyedgomer
16th June 2012, 15:56
Dario in the 1997 Milwaukee Race 180.455 started seventh

jackmart
16th June 2012, 19:12
They just said one more hour for drying so I wonder where the race will move to.

booger
16th June 2012, 19:35
Curt Cavin Twitter says most likely ESPN News, same channel that finished Belle Isle. But one thing is certain. It won't finish on ABC because it will run smack into the Nationwide NASCAR race. I'll wait and see. Should have went to the June Sprints. They have rain tires.

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 19:40
It was the mix of oval street and road courses that got me into open wheel US racing, I love the ovals and wish we could have a couple of more on the schedule. Wish Nazareth ws still around, that was the wierdest oval track out there. Miss that one.

Love the mile, they should move it back to the week after Indy.

jackmart
16th June 2012, 20:02
Last time someone had a link where it could be viewed. DOes anyone know of a link like that this time?

anthonyvop
16th June 2012, 20:25
The Milwaukee Mile has a seating capacity of 45,000 We have less than 1/2 of the seats filled

http://floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Stick-A-Fork-In-It.jpg

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 20:26
Indy Car - Milwaukee Indyfest Live Stream Online (http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/56243/1/indy-car---milwaukee-indyfest--live-stream-online.html)

Sorry just saw your post

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 20:29
Hope that helps.

jackmart
16th June 2012, 20:32
Thanks^^^

THey just had something acorss the screen before the yellow saying ABC would drop us at 4pm DId anyone catch the move?

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 20:34
Check your private messages, you can find another link there normaly.

jackmart
16th June 2012, 20:36
Weird, did they just say they are going to make nascar move?

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 20:37
I think you are getting different comentary to me...nothing been said as yet on my channel

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 20:44
NASCAR NATIONWIDE ON ESPN NEWS....That is a win for Indy Car. Good Call ABC.

jackmart
16th June 2012, 20:45
^^I got a link to work for backup if ABC drops Indycar, thanks for that!!

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 21:00
Indy Car - Milwaukee Indyfest Live Stream Online (http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/56243/2/indy-car---milwaukee-indyfest--live-stream-online.html)

00steven
16th June 2012, 21:24
Thank you ABC for treating Indycar like garbage. :mad:

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2012, 21:34
Thought for amoment they were going to keep Indy Car on ABC, they obviously stayed with it until the race build up had been done with and switched for the race start. Gutted.

00steven
16th June 2012, 22:03
Great drive by RHR.

heliocastroneves#3
16th June 2012, 22:05
I guess we won't be back here, next year... Let's hope it will be replaced with another good 1-mile oval.

EDIT: Just read we will be back here next year, great!

jackmart
16th June 2012, 22:15
The penalty for Dixon was ridiculous!

booger
16th June 2012, 23:04
One of my friends just called me from Milwaukee. He said the scuttle there is that Andretti Sports Mktg. will be promoting a race at Road America in August. Anybody else hear this rumor?

DanicaFan
16th June 2012, 23:45
I was glad to see Ryan get a win for Andretti.

Here are the final results..

1. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
2. #11 Tony Kanaan
3. #27 James Hinchcliffe
4. #22 Oriol Servia
5. #5 EJ Viso
6. #3 Helio Castroneves
7. #98 Alex Tagliani
8. #20 Ed Carpenter
9. #38 Graham Rahal
10. #8 Rubens Barrichello
11. #9 Scott Dixon
12. #12 Will Power
13. #77 Simon Pagenaud
14. #2 Ryan Briscoe
15. #26 Marco Andretti
16. #14 Mike Conway
17. #83 Charlie Kimball
18. #6 Katherine Legge
19. #10 Dario Franchitti
20. #15 Takuma Sato
21. #19 James Jakes
22. #4 JR Hildebrand
23. #18 Justin Wilson
24. #78 Simona De Silvestro
25. #67 Josef Newgarden

anthonyvop
17th June 2012, 00:45
EDIT: Just read we will be back here next year, great!

Really beginning to understand the owners who wanted to push RB out.

An event that has been given a "2nd chance" time and again will be given another "2nd Chance" WTF is wrong with IndyCar?

jarrambide
17th June 2012, 01:46
Thank you ABC for treating Indycar like garbage. :mad:

It is a good thing that I have ESPN 8 just in case ABC sends IC there next time, but I can't really blame them, it is all about money.

FIAT1
17th June 2012, 02:20
I think I was at different race. There where people everywhere, in my opinion this was second biggest crowd since they rebuild grandstands. With this economy and cancellation of the race and uncertainty I was surprised how many people showed up. Rain did damage some, as people left and it was raining for two hrs ,but most people stayed. I don't understand some of the negative posts and I could care less obout ovals but with limited time to put this together and no promotion in big city like Chicago this race was a success. Infield was packed,but Friday was not free as I had to pay to go infield and many where upset, and they have to fix that with some better package. Cars where fast and with speed ugly bumpers did not matter much. Negatores here have to remember that Milwaukee grandsands where smaller in 90s and Miller beer was giving 1/2 of those for free, therefore ease up on critic and judgment from the couch because Michael has announced that race will be back and with steady date and year long promotion wil be there for years to come as it should because it is great track with great tradition and racing. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but I don't understand why all this doom and gloom all the time even after great event like today.

jarrambide
17th June 2012, 02:26
And just exactly where else are they going to go? Out of all the tracks and promoters just clamoring to get a date. All the pie in the sky suggestions you see on this and other boards are just wishful thinking - Road America, Laguna, Pocono, the Glen. New Hampshire, etc. They all require the track/promoter to WANT them, at a price acceptable to both. Before you talk about where not to go, you darn sure better have a realistic place TO go.

By the way, where are your suggestions for a REALISTIC place for Indycar to hold a race?

I heard they have a brand new track in Neverland, and that the promoter of Narnia and Middle Earth is looking for a race. ;)

FIAT1
17th June 2012, 02:39
WEST ALLIS, Wis. – Michael Andretti drew the loudest spontaneous applause from soggy spectators at the Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by XYQ when he announced that the IZOD IndyCar Series will be back at the Milwaukee Mile in 2013.

Tickets for the race weekend -- scheduled for June 14-15 -- go on sale June 17 (Father's Day). Reserved ticket-holders may renew their seats before July 16 at Welcome to Milwaukee IndyFest (http://www.MilwaukeeIndyFest.com). Tickets will also be available June 18 at the Wisconsin State Fair box office, and by phone at 414-266-7100.

Andretti Sports Marketing announced Feb. 10 that it was assuming promotion of the event at the facility on the grounds of the Wisconsin State Fair Park, which has played host to Indy car racing since 1933 but was plagued by poor attendance in 2011 that put its future in question. Tickets went on sale March 1.

“We weren’t kidding ourselves; we knew this wasn’t something that was going to change overnight,” said Andretti, CEO of Andretti Sports Marketing and Andretti Autosport. “We felt like if we did a really good event this year and displayed it well that the skeptics are going to be the ones who hear how great the event was and we’ll get them to come the next year. Year 2 should be bigger, hopefully, that Year 1. This is a building year.”

Andretti Sports Marketing took a different approach to an oval event by incorporating a festival atmosphere with concerts, a family fun zone, Ferris wheel and the INDYCAR Fan Village in the infield. It appeared to be a hit.

“There was a huge crowd this morning and long lines coming in,” Andretti said. “We heard this was a late (ticket-buying) crowd and I can understand. They want to see proof, and I think all the buzz that’s been going around the past week with the block party, the autograph sessions and the drivers in the community has brought people out (race) morning.

“(Similarly) the sponsors, some of whom got burnt in the past, wanted to see how well this event came off. I expect a lot more corporate interest for next year.”

Taking over the Milwaukee event included an element of sentiment. Michael Andretti won nine times at the track, and the 1991 race featured an all-Andretti podium: Michael, cousin John and father Mario.

“It means a lot to our family,” Michael Andretti said.

Andretti Sports Marketing, which was started in 2011, also took over promotion of the IZOD IndyCar Series event on the temporary street circuit in Baltimore, which will be held Labor Day weekend. For tickets and event information, go to Home Page | Grand Prix of Baltimore 2012 (http://www.RaceOnBaltimore.com).

“We have the experience of the past (as Andretti Green Promotions) with the two races we promoted, but operationally this race has gone so smoothly it’s scary. For our first time back (as a promoter) it’s been great,” Michael Andretti said.

anthonyvop
17th June 2012, 04:00
I think I was at different race. There where people everywhere, in my opinion this was second biggest crowd since they rebuild grandstands.

Milwaukee has 45,000 seats and it was about 1/3 filled(I am being generous) so do the math.

With this economy and cancellation of the race and uncertainty I was surprised how many people showed up. Rain did damage some, as people left and it was raining for two hrs ,but most people stayed. I don't understand some of the negative posts and I could care less obout ovals but with limited time to put this together and no promotion in big city like Chicago this race was a success. Infield was packed,but Friday was not free as I had to pay to go infield and many where upset, and they have to fix that with some better package. Cars where fast and with speed ugly bumpers did not matter much. Negatores here have to remember that Milwaukee grandsands where smaller in 90s and Miller beer was giving 1/2 of those for free, therefore ease up on critic and judgment from the couch because Michael has announced that race will be back and with steady date and year long promotion wil be there for years to come as it should because it is great track with great tradition and racing. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but I don't understand why all this doom and gloom all the time even after great event like today.

We have heard similar excuses before and frankly it has been sounding like a broken record for some time now.

Einstein had it right

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Come on guys. It is time to let it go.

FIAT1
17th June 2012, 04:43
Good news,looks like RA is in play and I will be there .Superb

IndyCar - Michael Andretti saves the day in Milwaukee - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/8061714/indycar-michael-andretti-saves-day-milwaukee)

FIAT1
17th June 2012, 04:57
Milwaukee has 45,000 seats and it was about 1/3 filled(I am being generous) so do the math.

We have heard similar excuses before and frankly it has been sounding like a broken record for some time now.

Einstein had it right

Come on guys. It is time to let it go.

yeah, I saw you there counting, hope you do the same next year, but please buy a ticket and show up!!

Jag_Warrior
17th June 2012, 05:29
The penalty for Dixon was ridiculous!

I didn't see the race so I can't have an opinion. But it looks like the officials agree with you:

IndyCar official admits mistake on Dixon penalty (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gegixmmavwwwdSVuXuUrkKZzg8Gg?docId=21d99f2f6 cab48e499f9d3f56ac1c076)

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) — Scott Dixon was confused and annoyed. As it turns out, he had every right to be.

Dixon was penalized for jumping a restart Saturday in the IndyCar race at the Milwaukee Mile, and race director Beaux Barfield acknowledged afterward that he shouldn't have been.
"I'm actually very excited to see what the hell they're talking about," Dixon said after the race. "I'm disappointed."

After explaining the situation to the team, Barfield acknowledged the mistake publicly, noting that a failure in their timing and scoring system caused them to look at the wrong replay. A clock was off by 36 seconds, throwing off their system.

According to Barfield's explanation, what officials mistakenly looked at was a replay of a previous restart — one that was waved off by officials at the time and didn't count. Dixon did commit a potential infraction on the restart that didn't count.

But Dixon didn't do anything wrong on the subsequent restart that ended up counting and should not have been penalized.

"It was obviously the wrong call, based on the reality of the situation," Barfield said. "But based on the clock leading us the wrong way, technology completely got us."
Barfield took responsibility for the mistake, and said officials with Dixon's Chip Ganassi Racing team were "very gracious" when presented with an explanation.

heliocastroneves#3
17th June 2012, 13:42
Was a great race but too bad that Dixon got a penalty. He could have been the leader in points, if he wouldn't have been penalized...

jackmart
17th June 2012, 21:32
I LOVE Indycar but I feel like the rules are so frustrating. First you can use illegal parts, get more downforce and win, now you can be forced to serve a pseudo penalty.

Marbles
17th June 2012, 22:50
A decent race considering us folks to the north got the Coles Notes version. TSN 2 cut out about 50 laps and rejoined the race under a long caution... oookay. The stands looked close to half full but I'm just guessing... couldn't count past 20 before they'd switch cameras on me. I'm sure if Andretti carries forward with this momentum, next years race will be a lot more popular.

Since Indycar incorrectly punished Dixon, does he get a 5 grid spot bonus at the next race?

booger
18th June 2012, 20:27
Milwaukee ABC affiliate left race on to conclusion...good call Channel 12!

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2012, 07:53
It is rather sad. One guy just see's this as more evidence as Indycar as dead, and the rest of us have grown to ignore him, because while we may admit the stands are half empty, only one guy is waving the pom poms for it to happen....

I missed the race, reality got in the way, and I had the PVR on LeMans Duty. They need to put this race back after Indy, and tell Gossage to realize tradition was messed with and he can do as well if they hold his race later.....but then again, maybe Milwaukee just needs a better job on the promotion side. Andretti's do learn from experience...it is year two where I will judge their effort, but if they cant do it, it isn't savable...

FIAT1
19th June 2012, 14:41
It is rather sad. One guy just see's this as more evidence as Indycar as dead, and the rest of us have grown to ignore him, because while we may admit the stands are half empty, only one guy is waving the pom poms for it to happen....

I missed the race, reality got in the way, and I had the PVR on LeMans Duty. They need to put this race back after Indy, and tell Gossage to realize tradition was messed with and he can do as well if they hold his race later.....but then again, maybe Milwaukee just needs a better job on the promotion side. Andretti's do learn from experience...it is year two where I will judge their effort, but if they cant do it, it isn't savable...

Traditional date would be great especially if they ad RA in August,but fathers day weekend would be fine as long as they keep at steady and on Saturday.

numanoid
19th June 2012, 18:13

It's not just us. Lots of media reports were saying that attendance was way up this year and it was a great start to bringing back the fans in Milwaukee. It may take 2 more years, but most took this race and the Indyfest events as a very good sign.

Anubis
19th June 2012, 19:39
Wasn't there and didn't see it, so can't comment about the race as such, however, surely having an active team owner promoting races is better than outside organisations? Andretti has "skin in the game", so to speak, so you'd have thought he'd be less likely to mess people around and/or rip people off, as ultimately it hits him in his capacity as a team owner. I don't especially like the guy, but he deserves respect for stepping up to take the risk IMO, and I hope he can make it (and Baltimore) work.

FIAT1
20th June 2012, 18:33
A.J. Foyt: Return to Milwaukee Mile a success (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/columnist/foyt/story/2012-06-19/AJ-Foyt-Return-to-Milwaukee-Mile-a-success/55699322/1)

Mark in Oshawa
22nd June 2012, 16:23
It's not just us. Lots of media reports were saying that attendance was way up this year and it was a great start to bringing back the fans in Milwaukee. It may take 2 more years, but most took this race and the Indyfest events as a very good sign.
Hey...I wont knock the event. I think the Andretti's will get there....but Milwaukee and people in Wisconsin need to remember what a gem they have in that historic track...