PDA

View Full Version : China has been cancelled

00steven
13th June 2012, 15:19
Jenna Fryer has confirmed on Twitter. It looks like Pocono or a second Texas could be the replacement.

anthonyvop
13th June 2012, 15:36
Just waiting for the release to see what is the official reason.

Phoenixent
13th June 2012, 15:42
Jenna Fryer has confirmed on Twitter. It looks like Pocono or a second Texas could be the replacement.

Oh I hope it's Pocono that gets the nod. If we get Pocono on the schedule along with Fontana if it's a 500 miler we might have another Triple Crown winner since 1978. All we need is for Dario to win two more 500 mile events in one year. That would be very cool!!!!!!

mr_swiss
13th June 2012, 16:52
According to USA Today it's the international beer festival that got the nod over the race.
Don't they go nicely together?

heliocastroneves#3
13th June 2012, 17:09
HELL YEAH, POCONO! Would have loved a street race in China but seeing the amount of ovals on the schedule this year.... My choice is POCONO! :D

FIAT1
13th June 2012, 17:56
Road America with ALMS weekend would be the best in my opinion.

MAX_THRUST
13th June 2012, 18:18
Pocono would be interesting if it were a 500, however Road America would be great. I think an oval would be good for the series. It is a shame that Vegas couldn't be used but after last years obvious issues with that track that will never happen.

heliocastroneves#3
13th June 2012, 19:18
It is a shame that Vegas couldn't be used but after last years obvious issues with that track that will never happen.

Don't be surprised if Vegas will be back in 2013 with the oval package they have now. ;)

Nikki Katz
13th June 2012, 19:34
Huge surprise, totally didn't see that coming when it was announced last year....

Hopefully there'll be a replacement after Fontana, as the season ends stupidly early this year.

Anubis
14th June 2012, 00:00
Caught a bit of the Pocono Cup race last weekend and must admit the place looks totally different with the repaving and whatnot. Would be an interesting race. Similar to the old Rio "roval" maybe? I'll be honest and say I'd prefer Road America, as that's one of my favourite tracks, regardless of series.

jimispeed
14th June 2012, 02:21
IndyCar calls Eddie Gossage about 2012 finale at Texas Motor Speedway - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/8048732/indycar-calls-eddie-gossage-2012-finale-texas-motor-speedway)

SarahFan
14th June 2012, 03:43
Indycar don't cancel races downtown told me so!

How about Thursday night at pheonix before the cup cars?
Wasn't that thrown out there a couple years ago?

00steven
14th June 2012, 03:50
Indycar don't cancel races downtown told me so!

How about Thursday night at pheonix before the cup cars?
Wasn't that thrown out there a couple years ago?

I agree, Phoenix has been tested at and would be great to see again.

DanicaFan
14th June 2012, 06:46
Im glad its gone. I wasnt crazy about going there anyways. Let's replace it with a good oval.

GravettFan99
14th June 2012, 19:02
:uhoh:
I was wondering what it would be like with IndyCar heading to China, but seeing this... too bad.

anthonyvop
14th June 2012, 22:21
good oval.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? :)

beachgirl
15th June 2012, 00:41
Actually, JIMHO, since Texas did work out well, and all the drivers were pleased with the track and the aero changes (except Ed, so I won't count him), I'd like to see them go back for a second time this year. If Eddie and Randy can make nice, and work it out, I think it would be good to have another oval. And I'm not particularly fond of ovals. But the Texas race this year was one of the best oval races I've ever seen. I'd gladly watch another there.

DBell
15th June 2012, 15:24
We should have had a poll when this race was announced to see how many here thought this race would never happen. I'm guessing over half would have said no go.

RA makes the most sense as a replacement. An available Sunday at an already planned event, it would seem the easiest route to go. Plus it's at a track that

nigelred5
15th June 2012, 16:24
season finale at TMS...

DBell
15th June 2012, 16:26
We should have had a poll when this race was announced to see how many here thought this race would never happen. I'm guessing over half would have said no go.

RA makes the most sense as a replacement. An available Sunday at an already planned event, it would seem the easiest route to go. Plus it's at a track that many fans have been clamoring to back to. Starting an event from scratch at this late date would be a chore to get done and get a crowd to show up.

Just completing my post above. For some reason the end got wiped out.

anthonyvop
15th June 2012, 18:23
As much as I love Road America as a track another race "down the street" from another poor performing race in an already over-saturated region isn't what IndyCar needs

DBell
15th June 2012, 20:36
season finale at TMS...

Looks like TMS is taking themselves out of the mix as a replacement for China.

Texas Motor Speedway declines to host IndyCar finale (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2012-06-15/Eddie-Gossage-Texas-decline-to-host-finale/55619040/1)

heliocastroneves#3
15th June 2012, 22:01
Please let it be Pocono or Michigan...

Lee Roy
15th June 2012, 23:15
Please let it be Pocono or Michigan...

Wonder what the good folks of Balitmore would think of ICS scheduling a race just up the road at Pocono??

Nikki Katz
16th June 2012, 14:10
I'd prefer it if there wasn't a second race at the same track this season anyway (though I still hope it's retained for next year), but I'd like there to be something

jarrambide
16th June 2012, 17:58
"Just up the road" being three and a half hours away.

Well, that expression is true in certain parts of the country, in my neck of the woods, three and a half hours away is just up the road, heck, sometimes we drive more than an hour without traffic and we are still in the metropolitan area, you do that in New Jersey and you are in a different state.

I have gone to Rangers games, Cowboys games, Stars games, even went to see the Houston Dynamo when they played FC Dallas, every single time it has been a one day road trip, three and a half hours is nothing, which is why the USGP is technically just down the road, don't get me wrong, I usually attend Astros, Texans, and Dynamo games, but for an event you attend 1 or 2 times a year, 3 hours is nothing.

I could see how that race could and will diminish the attendance.

nigelred5
17th June 2012, 16:21
I dont think Pocono would take too much from Baltimore as long as the dates were scheduled several weeks apart, but back to back, THIS year, when Andretti is trying to pull Baltimore together, then hastily throwing together a race at Pocono would be about as foolish as I could imagine. That's a recipe for disaster for both events.

DBell
19th June 2012, 20:29
Miller has an article on Speed that says RA is the only track that makes sense for this year. Have to say I agree with his points in this article.

MILLER: Elkhart Or Bust (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-elkhart-or-bust/)

Lee Roy
20th June 2012, 01:53
. . . . THIS year, when Andretti is trying to pull Baltimore together, then hastily throwing together a race at Pocono would be about as foolish as I could imagine. That's a recipe for disaster for both events.

Don't tell Starter.

FIAT1
20th June 2012, 17:15
Best racing track and would be great for me as I will be there for ALMS. RA should be on schedule period.

heliocastroneves#3
20th June 2012, 22:01
Despite Road America is a beautiful circuit which I'd race very often with rFactor, I'd prefer this (http://www.freep.com/article/20120620/SPORTS16/206200407/1048/rss03) plan. Not because I don't like Road America, but because of the fact we only have 5 ovals on this seasons' schedule. To be clear to you guys, I'm not specifically an oval fan because if the schedule would have been the opposite (11 ovals and 5 road/streets), my choice would have been Road America...

I'm happy if Road America will be the replacement for China but I'll be even more happy if it would be MIS. I don't know whats the best for the series, if Road America is the best for the series, than they would be crazy to not go over there.

DBell
21st June 2012, 02:23
My gut feeling is that there won't be a replacement race. I don't see RA coming up with a sanction fee that will please IndyCar and other tracks will have the same problem. Too short a period of time to get a sponsor(s) to cover the fee for the holding a race and the tracks won't want to cover this themselves. If it was so easy to get that done , then IndyCar would already be at RA, imo.

15 is going to be it for this year.

jarrambide
21st June 2012, 02:31
My gut feeling is that there won't be a replacement race. I don't see RA coming up with a sanction fee that will please IndyCar and other tracks will have the same problem. Too short a period of time to get a sponsor(s) to cover the fee for the holding a race and the tracks won't want to cover this themselves. If it was so easy to get that done , then IndyCar would already be at RA, imo.

15 is going to be it for this year.

The sponsors have a contract that says otherwise, this is not a regular race, this is not about getting the sanction fee or helping the sport or getting fans on the seats, this is about getting #16 without losing that much money or else they lose more money with the sponsors.

FIAT1
24th June 2012, 23:25
looks more like 15 races this year. Randy said that makes sense. I agree, as much as I would love to see RA on schedule, money talks.

anthonyvop
25th June 2012, 01:37
The sponsors have a contract that says otherwise, this is not a regular race, this is not about getting the sanction fee or helping the sport or getting fans on the seats, this is about getting #16 without losing that much money or else they lose more money with the sponsors.

I have not had the privilege to read the actual contract between IndyCar and IZOD(Like most people) but something tells me that while 16 might be an important number it probably isn't a total deal breaker. More likely some penalties in the form of less payments are involved.

jarrambide
25th June 2012, 01:47
I have not had the privilege to read the actual contract between IndyCar and IZOD(Like most people) but something tells me that while 16 might be an important number it probably isn't a total deal breaker. More likely some penalties in the form of less payments are involved.

You did notice I didn't say they lose all the money Sherlock, I never implied they had to give all the money back, there are penalties, that is how these contracts work, as I said this is not about the feem this is about getting to #16 without losing that much money, key words are "that much".

If they can stage a race without losing that much money, they will stage it or else they lose way more because of the penalty, of they can't stage it without losing tons of money, then they will take the penalty, my point being that it wasn't about making money or even breaking even in this case.

anthonyvop
25th June 2012, 03:46
You did notice I didn't say they lose all the money Sherlock, I never implied they had to give all the money back, there are penalties, that is how these contracts work, as I said this is not about the feem this is about getting to #16 without losing that much money, key words are "that much".

If they can stage a race without losing that much money, they will stage it or else they lose way more because of the penalty, of they can't stage it without losing tons of money, then they will take the penalty, my point being that it wasn't about making money or even breaking even in this case.

Do you know the actual money involved?

Do you even know if the 16 race minimum is actually in the contract? I hear a lot of talk but no confirmation.

jarrambide
25th June 2012, 03:51
Do you know the actual money involved?

Do you even know if the 16 race minimum is actually in the contract? I hear a lot of talk but no confirmation.

No, I don't know the actual amount, yes, I do know there is a 16 race minimun clause in the contract, but then again Anthony, you don't care, you make your mind before even writing something and will answer accordingly.

anthonyvop
25th June 2012, 06:05
No, I don't know the actual amount, yes, I do know there is a 16 race minimun clause in the contract, but then again Anthony, you don't care, you make your mind before even writing something and will answer accordingly.

I am just expressing an honest opinion. I have heard so much talk about the 16 race Minimum but have yet to hear of anyone of importance from either party confirm it. Listening to RB of late it wasn't even mentioned so one cannot be criticized for questioning if it is actually true

So How do you know that there IS a clause in the contract with IZOD mandating a 16 race minimum schedule?

FIAT1
25th June 2012, 21:03
Fontana 500 last race. IZOD said it's ok. Me too!

IndyCar sticking with 15 races, won't replace China date (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2012-06-25/China-race-not-being-replaced/55811386/1)

booger
25th June 2012, 21:15
Too bad. We were looking forward to an Indycar race at Road America.

garyshell
25th June 2012, 21:57
So How do you know that there IS a clause in the contract with IZOD mandating a 16 race minimum schedule?

From this maybe:

Series sponsor Izod said it supported IndyCar's decision not to add a 16th race, which is required as part of its deal.

00steven
26th June 2012, 01:17
Ashame to be down to 15. Maybe we can have 20 next year...

(fingers crossed)

anthonyvop
26th June 2012, 02:51
From this maybe:

Citation?

garyshell
26th June 2012, 04:17
Citation?

The article that Fiat1 referenced:

IndyCar sticking with 15 races, won't replace China date (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2012-06-25/China-race-not-being-replaced/55811386/1)

Gary

heliocastroneves#3
26th June 2012, 09:01
Yeah, but some good news is that the race at Fontana will be a 500 mile race! :)

GRW1983
26th June 2012, 13:23
Too bad. We were looking forward to an Indycar race at Road America.

Me too, but if we have 15 races this year, but can go to Road America for 2013 & beyond, then I'll take that. Bottom line is that IndyCar shouldn't rush RA just to get 16 races and, potentially, get it wrong & hurt any long-term prospects.

FIAT1
26th June 2012, 14:35
Me too, but if we have 15 races this year, but can go to Road America for 2013 & beyond, then I'll take that. Bottom line is that IndyCar shouldn't rush RA just to get 16 races and, potentially, get it wrong & hurt any long-term prospects.

Agree. Indycar should make Milwaukee date after Indy and RA in August with ALMS like old days. RA is amazing place and Indycar not racing there is a crime.

anthonyvop
27th June 2012, 03:26
The article that Fiat1 referenced:

Gary

Thanks. Don't know how i missed that.