PDA

View Full Version : 2013 WRC Calendar

Sulland
11th June 2012, 10:51
How many of the organisors will jump ship for 2013 with the €100 000 fee that FIA just added?
You need quite a few good sponsors to compensate for that loss !!

Will any of them jump ship?

AndyRAC
11th June 2012, 11:12
If you can't afford to pay, then you don't bankrupt yourself. Some events may still run as a National event, others are run purely for the WRC's benefit - and therefore won't run. Then again, ticket prices may go up to raise money - I doubt that will be popular.

Barreis
11th June 2012, 11:19
They can put bigger entry fee and that means less priveteers.

A FONDO
11th June 2012, 11:21
So far I'm glad ALL of the event organizers refused this idea, even the richest ones.

rallyfan2000
11th June 2012, 15:10
The last 6 months will prove what the next 6-18 months could be like. It's safe to say that they will come to an arrangement and the FIA will be left to lick their wounds.

tfp
11th June 2012, 23:49
So far I'm glad ALL of the event organizers refused this idea, even the richest ones.

Me too. A bit like mutiny against the FIA, and this has been needed for a while now. The fact that the event organisers want to discuss this at the WMSC and the FIA dont want to listen to the event organisers needs just shows the FIA's ignorance.

Plan9
12th June 2012, 08:06
Are we at the point where we can expect to see a calendar filled with events in the middle east or other wealthy climbs to make up the difference for losing iconic events?

rallyfiend
12th June 2012, 08:11
Are we at the point where we can expect to see a calendar filled with events in the middle east or other wealthy climbs to make up the difference for losing iconic events?

Maybe this is one of the reasons why the WRC is in the state that it is. It clings too much to the past (and crap events) and doesn't adapt to the changing world.

Although the attempt to get an Abu Dhabi event in the calendar was thwarted by the the FIA, so who knows what might happen.

GigiGalliNo1
14th June 2012, 16:12
Screw the FIA. Let's make our own championships! :D

Livewireshock
16th June 2012, 07:08
The official release from the FIA WMSC for the 2013 WRC Calendar. NZ is out and Australia is in but otherwise no changes. Candidate events will be held to rate them for 2014, with Brazil and South Africa in the running for that. I am disappointed that Jordan has been overlooked again, I think it is important to have at least one event in every FIA Regional area.

FIA WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP AND RALLYING

Following discussions with the FIA World Rally Championship stakeholders regarding the 2013 calendar, the WMSC adopted the calendar proposed by the WRC Commission. Events will be hosted in the following countries:

Argentina
Australia
Finland
France
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Italy
Mexico
Monte Carlo
Portugal
Spain
Sweden

The dates will be submitted at a later time, taking logistics and the calendars of the other FIA Championships into account and to avoid, where possible, date clashes.

Candidate rallies will be considered for the 2014 calendar, to ensure their events meet the requirements of a WRC event. These rallies will be run and observed before the end of April 2013. Brazil and South Africa have already expressed their interest in participating.

Red bull
12th July 2012, 09:58
Monte Carlo Rally confirms 2013 date - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101141?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Salist
31st August 2012, 13:29
Any news about WRC calendar of 2013???

A FONDO
31st August 2012, 13:34
Only new thing I know is FIA observers got terrible impressions from South Africa's candidate event so it is out of the question.

Prisoner Monkeys
31st August 2012, 13:57
Any news about WRC calendar of 2013???
A draft calendar was released a few months ago with all the events from 2012 carried over to 2013, with the only change being New Zealand and Australia swapping in and out as per their event-sharing arrangement. No dates have been set aside from Monte Carlo.

Right now, establishing a new promoter is the priority. Trying to grow the calendar without a promoter in place would be a very bad idea.

Only new thing I know is FIA observers got terrible impressions from South Africa's candidate event so it is out of the question.
I hadn't heard that. I knew they were favouring the event in South Africa, but I was under the impression that the plan to expand the calendar was scrapped in the face of the series' ongoing problems with the organisational structure, namely the lack of a promoter.

EightGear
31st August 2012, 14:11
There were taxis and busses on some stages in South Africa...

janvanvurpa
1st September 2012, 01:36

Ah, Good! that means there were lots of spectators. organisers could slap some stickers on and call them Mobile Spectator Points---forward thinking!
That's just what WRC needs.

Prisoner Monkeys
1st September 2012, 01:54
I seem to remember Colin McRae getting rather annoyed back in 1999 when the WRC visited China, because nobody had actually told the locals that there was a rally taking place, and so everyone would come flying around a corner and come face-to-face with an ox.

alleskids
1st September 2012, 10:00
I do not know how reliable it is, but a Portugees rallysites calls Sout Africa rally Rally of 1000 Desastreus
[url=http://autosport.sapo.pt/rali-dos-1000-desastres-teve-lugar-na-africa-do-sul=f107675]“Rali dos 1000 Desastresâ€

tolis
1st September 2012, 10:05
From other evidence that speaks to enter the Rally of Brazil, nothing is known, and that was Paul Noble has revealed nothing so far heard talk of a possible proof of the WRC in their country, leaving yet sure if there will doing, means there are plent

Nobre thinks that Brazil isn't ready to host a WRC round yet.

Prisoner Monkeys
1st September 2012, 11:15
I was under the impression that the plan to expand the calendar was abandond before the FIA could send a delegation to Brazil.

Mind you, I thought the same thing about South Africa ...

OldF
2nd September 2012, 15:12
There should be a candidate rally in Brazil in September (SA WRC leg shelved till 2014? | Wheels24 (http://www.wheels24.co.za/Motorsport/WRC/SA-WRC-leg-shelved-till-2014-20120613) ).

“Brazil is also in line and planned to hold a candidate rally in September and the result of the "shoot-out" would have given the winner a WRC slot in 2013 and the loser a possible slot in 2014.”

This was written 13.6 so it was before the WMSC’s decision 15.6.2012 World Motor Sport Council (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2012/Pages/WorldMotorSportCouncil.aspx). Maybe plans have changed.

“Candidate rallies will be considered for the 2014 calendar, to ensure their events meet the requirements of a WRC event. These rallies will be run and observed before the end of April 2013. Brazil and South Africa have already expressed their interest in participating.”

Barreis
2nd September 2012, 15:17
Nothing before 2014. We're lucky that we have championship at the moment after all troubles with promoter.

Co-driven
2nd September 2012, 17:26
What I heard is that there will be a candidate event here in Brazil around April'13. There is another information that Mouton was here a few months ago and went over a few possible stages, the same ones that were part of the rally back in 1980's on the events here, including the one she won.

There are 3 different teams working for hosting a WRC event in Brazil, and two of them are a lot similar: the rally would start in São Paulo and end in Rio de Janeiro. That idea was of Mouton's taste, as it follows the endurance format that FIA is looking for.

That's what I know and have heard so far. Probably at the end of the year we'll have an idea whether the candidate event will happen or not, as the 2013 calendar will be published. This event would count as the first event of the 2013 championship.

OldF
2nd September 2012, 19:04
What I heard is that there will be a candidate event here in Brazil around April'13. There is another information that Mouton was here a few months ago and went over a few possible stages, the same ones that were part of the rally back in 1980's on the events here, including the one she won.

There are 3 different teams working for hosting a WRC event in Brazil, and two of them are a lot similar: the rally would start in São Paulo and end in Rio de Janeiro. That idea was of Mouton's taste, as it follows the endurance format that FIA is looking for.

That's what I know and have heard so far. Probably at the end of the year we'll have an idea whether the candidate event will happen or not, as the 2013 calendar will be published. This event would count as the first event of the 2013 championship.

Thanks Co-driven.

Prisoner Monkeys
3rd September 2012, 11:23
This event would count as the first event of the 2013 championship.
Am I to understand that a rally in Brazil would come before the Monte Carlo, then?

Livewireshock
3rd September 2012, 13:25
This event would count as the first event of the 2013 championship.

That would mean a mid January date and would conflict with the immensely popular Dakar Rally in neighbouring Argentina, Chile and Peru. While it is a separate motorsport discipline, it shares many common aspects. Thus it may limit corporate backing, media and spectator numbers to some degree about which event to support in South America.

rallyfiend
3rd September 2012, 16:08
Am I to understand that a rally in Brazil would come before the Monte Carlo, then?

Given that the reference is to the 2013 calendar - which has already been set - one can easily deduce that this is in reference to the Brazilian Championship.

The candidtate event would be the first round of that Championship

Co-driven
3rd September 2012, 19:09

Sorry, I think I wasn't totally clear on that. The candidate event would be the first event of the Brazilian Championship, as rallyfiend deduced.

navtheace
11th September 2012, 17:46
Any news on this or does it look like a no go since Abu Dhabi pulled their sponsorship of the WRC back a little?

OldF
11th September 2012, 19:40
Haven’t seen any comments about this from any reader of the Autosport magazine.

MTV3’s web site 6th of September.

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtv3.fi%2Furheilu%2Fralli%2Fuut iset.shtml%2F2012%2F09%2F1611506%2Ftasta-riippuu-citroenin-jatko-mm-rallissa)

The dominating team in WRC, Citroen, is rapidly gaining the funding for next season, tells Autosport magazine's latest issue.

Citroen has revolved around the wild rumors, because in the summer it was revealed that the French car manufacturer's sales had dropped by 13 per cent. Team Manager Yves Matton admitted at the time that Citroen needs more outside money to run its rallying operations.

The French team need to get as much as 60 percent of the money from the outside. The team will probably succeed in this - thanks to the State of Qatar.

“We're not far from the 60 percent, but we still have to wait for the contract to be signed. Qatar is one of the participants with whom we are negotiating. But it is too early to finalize things for next year”, team boss Matton told to Autosport.

Nasser Al-Attiyah drives this season with Citroen, supported by the State of Qatar. He admits that Qatar is interested in sponsoring the Citroen.

“We're not buying the team, but we would like the team to be Qatar Citroen World Rally Team. Things will become clearer in September. We don’t just want a tag on the car, we want something for Qatar. But our dream is that we do not stop at 60 percent, but we are sponsoring full 100 per cent”, al-Attiyah said.

EightGear
11th September 2012, 20:38
Autosport was also saying Mini could return as a full manufacturer next year with Prodrive. But that's not really news,they were only saying Prodrive is still trying to get the budget needed.

kober
12th September 2012, 01:06
Autosport was also saying Mini could return as a full manufacturer next year with Prodrive. But that's not really news,they were only saying Prodrive is still trying to get the budget needed.Part of the solution will be to have one paid driver and one pay driver :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed - Mini WRC are just too good to be ditched like that.

veegog
12th September 2012, 10:16
If Prodrive wants to have a full season in 2013, what about the Italian team then ? I have the feeling that they will have some cars as well. Who will be the official team then ?