PDA

View Full Version : Is Ferrari's veto still valid

seppefan
10th June 2012, 16:00
The French Court ruling this week has exposed a hidden fact among the rank and file of F1; that hidden fact is in the form of a veto privilege that was given to Ferrari upon breaking ranks with the GPWC in 2005 and resigning the Concorde Agreement. This veto gave Ferrari the power to affect the FIA regulations rulings and was the main focus of their bid to seek and injunction against the FIA regarding the 2010 regulation changes recently published.
Apparently Sir Frank Williams had not known of this “veto” power Ferrari possessed and one can presume that other teams were not privy to it as well. Shades of back room dealings via the FIA and FOM. Sir Frank was nonplussed by the veto option Ferrari posses as he seems to think it offers an unfair advantage saying:

“I think many of us thought it mainly made a commercial advantage and that would be what they deserve,” said the Williams F1 team boss.
“They’ve had many years under this Concorde agreement and the previous one in a very privileged position, which if it had been known previously would not have gone down very well, I think, with the competition authorities in Brussels,” added Williams.
“Ferrari don’t really need this help. They’re a very, very strong and wealthy team. “It will be a great shame if they do go but if they go, I hope that it won’t be in a fit of pique.”
this veto, which MAx says has expired, is also being suggested as the means of a law suit that Bernie Ecclestone could use should Ferrari decide to not enter the series in 2010. Rumor suggests that Bernie recognizes the Courts ruling as acknowledging the veto power Ferrari posses and this would also indicate that they are in fact obligated to the remainder of the Concorde Agreement which expires in 2012. Ferrari see it differently of course. The regulations changes without respect of the due process offered Ferrari is something they would argue negates the Concorde Agreement and ushers in a breach of contract. The legal battles may just be starting and how odd that would be for a sport void of such trivial, litigious notions. Anyone interested in racing anymore? I hear NASCAR, ALMS, Indycar and Le Mans are putting on a great show.

zako85
12th June 2012, 19:44
Regardless of whether Ferrari has veto power, it still gets preferential treatment in various ways. For example, they're rumored to receive a bigger cut of Formula 1 profits (adjusted for performance) than any other team in the coming years. Take a look here: F1 boss Ecclestone says series prepared to add two or three races, increase revenue to teams - Autoweek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120529/F1/120529800)

"Under the terms of the current contract, the teams share 47.5 percent of the underlying annual profits from Formula One's trades in race-hosting fees, TV broadcasting rights, corporate hospitality and trackside advertising. It is believed that Ferrari gets an additional 2.5 percent. ....

From 2013 through 2020, the base prize fund will remain at 47.5 percent, but Red Bull and McLaren will each receive an additional 2.5 percent, and Ferrari will get an extra 7.5 percent. Mercedes has yet to sign the new Concorde Agreement, as it believes it is deserving of an additional percentage, as well."

2.5 percent is approximately $12.5 million. 7.5 percent is three times that much.

How can this be a fair competition if Ferrari gets a bigger share of F1 profits than other teams? In fact, I am against the system that sets aside a budget to be given to some teams but not others, so I still don't like it that Red Bull and McLaren will be receiving some money besides that base price money, but not the other teams.

SGWilko
12th June 2012, 20:07
How can this be a fair competition if Ferrari gets a bigger share of F1 profits .

Don't fret over it, they keep pi55ing it up the wall year in, year out, so who cares as they clearly haven't worked out how to use it to their advantage yet! :p

Malbec
12th June 2012, 20:24
Ferrari's veto has been long known about. As to whether its still valid, I suspect that if it was they'd have vetoed the switch to smaller turbo engines as soon as it had even been thought about so no, I don't think it is.

schmenke
12th June 2012, 22:36
There’s nothing posted in this thread that isn’t already common knowledge.

As for Ferrari’s veto… it’s a moot point as the current Concorde Agreement expires at the end of this year :mark: