PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Government

Roamy
3rd June 2012, 16:26
I should say Stupid Ass Government
In this thread you post stupid thing you see government do:

India: A town in India has suddenly been overrun by swarms of venomous spiders, leaving two people dead after being bitten.

Read more: 2 people dead after swarms of venomous spiders invade Indian town | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/03/2-people-dead-after-swarms-venomous-spiders-invade-indian-town/?test=latestnews#ixzz1wkAmiiOR)
They are THINKING about spraying with DDT -- Hello what part of deadly are you not getting.

America: Pitbulls and Rotwielers have killed over 140 people in the last few years let alone how many have been maimed and bitten. Hello maybe it is just time to
ban the breeds. Come on honey lets go for a walk - I have the 357 strapped on. I spent a year on a project in Sacramento where we lived on min 10 acre parcels. The people I
leased from had a situation where the neighbors two pit bulls got loose and attacked his wife and their two dogs. She was able to make it back home by fighting off the dogs. When her husband arrived home from work he promptly grabbed his gun and their were two less pit bulls around. Good for him. The police said no problem what so ever.

D-Type
3rd June 2012, 20:44
In respect of the Indian case, don't overlook the religious overtones. In Buddhism andHinduism the philosophy of reincarnation extends to reincarnation as non-human animals. So, within that culture, the offending spiders could be someone's relatives. Hence the need for the government officials to think before taking action.

Rollo
3rd June 2012, 21:19
America: Pitbulls and Rotwielers have killed over 140 people in the last few years let alone how many have been maimed and bitten. Hello maybe it is just time to
ban the breeds.

In NSW, Pitbulls are banned under the Companion Animals Act 1998*. The results of law is such that the rest of your little story wouldn't have even happened. Your're not pitching your case very well.

*http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHome/documents/Information/Restricted_and_Dangerous_Dogs_in_NSW_-_Brochure.pdf

airshifter
4th June 2012, 01:16
In NSW, Pitbulls are banned under the Companion Animals Act 1998*. The results of law is such that the rest of your little story wouldn't have even happened. Your're not pitching your case very well.

*http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHome/documents/Information/Restricted_and_Dangerous_Dogs_in_NSW_-_Brochure.pdf

I think you are missing his point Rollo. You are giving an example of government doing something to fix a potential problem. He is speaking of an instance where another government didn't.... thus "stupid government". ;)

gloomyDAY
4th June 2012, 02:57
Roamy, you're stupid. I've been a caretaker for pitbulls and they're very gentle creatures. The idea of pitbulls being vicious dogs has been caused by "Mr. Vick's Dogfight Shows." The media just sensationalized the story and made pitbulls seem like the villain, when in actuality it had more to do with irresponsible breeders and owners.

Pitbulls have proven to be very good babysitters in American history (http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676). I really don't expect you to know this because I'm sure the extent of your knowledge when it comes to U.S. history is what you see on cable television. A pitbulls innate instinct is to protect its master and their kin with deep affection, and if necessary aggression against any harm.

I really hate being dragged into your mud-slinging fights, but this time I need to school you on some history and common (f)ucking sense. Get your facts straight and quit spouting your nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEEuTcc3XQ

Tazio
4th June 2012, 03:54
Roamy, you're stupid. I've been a caretaker for pitbulls and they're very gentle creatures. The idea of pitbulls being vicious dogs has been caused by "Mr. Vick's Dogfight Shows." The media just sensationalized the story and made pitbulls seem like the villain, when in actuality it had more to do with irresponsible breeders and owners.

Pitbulls have proven to be very good babysitters in American history (http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676). I really don't expect you to know this because I'm sure the extent of your knowledge when it comes to U.S. history is what you see on cable television. A pitbulls innate instinct is to protect its master and their kin with deep affection, and if necessary aggression against any harm.

I really hate being dragged into your mud-slinging fights, but this time I need to school you on some history and common (f)ucking sense. Get your facts straight and quit spouting your nonsense.

ssssssssssssssnap for the win!!! :champion:

Rudy Tamasz
4th June 2012, 07:46
Starter, your point is not convincing. Dogs are animals driven by instincts. Aggression is one of those instincts. Owner never fully control their pet's instincts. Something just triggers the reaction and animals go wild. Even a small dog can get aggressive for no reason, but in this case you can at least mitigate consequences. If a killing machine like a pitbull attacks a human being, the consequences are devastating and damage is beyond repair.

Rudy Tamasz
4th June 2012, 13:40
Pitbulls are capable of making much more physical damage than, say, the Maltese, aren't they?

Tazio
4th June 2012, 14:02
So are Labradors, Setters, Great Danes, etc. Aren't we going to ban those breeds too? :rolleyes: ...... :s ailor: and also the Canari Island Mastiff :eek:

Tazio
4th June 2012, 15:54
In respect of the Indian case, don't overlook the religious overtones. In Buddhism andHinduism the philosophy of reincarnation extends to reincarnation as non-human animals. So, within that culture, the offending spiders could be someone's relatives. Hence the need for the government officials to think before taking action. That is an extremely valid point D-'. I am continually amazed at how we like to project western culture on peoples that are of a completely different persuasion. Check out this video. I think that after watching it I'm of the belief that Hinduism is the least false religion (although I believe all religion is false, some are just more false than others) :confused: ;)
ancient hindu cosmology - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4b8EiY9Vk)

janvanvurpa
4th June 2012, 16:18
Folks give up. This is another one of those stupid arguments that somehow is clear to some major portion of the world and a few people hold a contrarian view no matter how many people are hurt--or in other arguments, killed---no matter how absolutely predictable the whole course of events..

"Dogs (bred to attack and crush the thick skulls of other dogs) do kill people, people kill people"

"Guns don't kill people, people (with guns) kill people (Real easily even if the are subnormal in intelligence, drunk on drugs, or suffering horrible delusions)"

We've all heard the same boilerplate platitudes from those who seem incapable of empathy or imagination every time a pitbull or whatever---who was such a geeeeeeennntle pooochie-poo---rips the face to pieces of some little girl.
It's always "a tragedy" but to barrow a phrase from them "You can take my pitbull when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

Their whims in everything is supreme...

They are the major roadblock to America being a true First World Country.

Mark
4th June 2012, 16:56
But on this, he's right.

schmenke
4th June 2012, 17:19
I don’t doubt that pit bull terriers can be docile dogs and make great pets, not unlike other breeds, but they sadly suffer from a stigma that attracts them to a type of owner who exploits and perhaps encourages the aggressive temperament thereby perpetuating their reputation.

Should pit bulls be banned? Yes, but IMO because of the disposition of a typical owner, not the traits of the dog itself.

janvanvurpa
4th June 2012, 17:26
Just curious, is it possible for you to comment on anything without trying to turn it into a political argument?

It's not political whatever your name is.
Its a social and cultural trait

Just curious, (not really, I know what your opinions are because they are always the same thing only the nouns and pronouns are changed) is it possible for you to comment on anything without thinking everything is a personal attack?

THAT, what you just did, is the problem, the inability of some to think or the lack of imagination to think of the broader consequences of their personal whims particularly around a range of things that even to a student of Psychology 101 are all symbolic weenie extenders, stand ins for power. A short review of one's own experience should be able to confirm that.
Who is vehement about "my guns' and "my giant SUV, Pick up, Chevell, or whatever", "my doberman/pit bull/whatever"?

Sure seems to be a lot of cross over in those groups from what I've seen coast to coast.

Part of one unfortunate syndrome...

janvanvurpa
4th June 2012, 17:27
I don’t doubt that pit bull terriers can be docile dogs and make great pets, not unlike other breeds, but they sadly suffer from a stigma that attracts them to a type of owner who exploits and perhaps encourages the aggressive temperament thereby perpetuating their reputation.

Should pit bulls be banned? Yes, but IMO because of the disposition of a typical owner, not the traits of the dog itself.

But how do we ban mindless stupidity?

schmenke
4th June 2012, 17:49
Mindless stupidity can’t be banned, but regulations can be enforced to prevent potential harm caused by actions from irresponsible people.
Ownership of items that have the potential to cause public harm in the hands of a few negligent people needs to be balanced with the right to own the same items by the greater number of responsible citizens.
If society judges that the potential for serious harm caused by the few outweighs the right of ownership by the many, then laws need to be considered to restrict possession by all.

Roamy
4th June 2012, 18:25

hey idiot - the facts are the facts - and you are a full blown idiot. Soon these dogs will be banned or laws such as the one posted by Rollo will be enacted.

ioan
4th June 2012, 19:55
Unadulterated BS. Pit bulls are wonderful dogs. It's the owners who are to blame. Those who train their dogs to be vicious. The same of german shepherds and dobermans in days past, who were also considered to be vicious dogs. There is a pit bull of my acquaintance who is the most gentle and affectionate dog you could ask for. True that some breeds have tendencies in certain directions - that's why they are called breeds - but the final behaviors are determined by the owners.

Are you mixing a smart dog like the German shepherd with nasty dobermans and pit bulls?!

ioan
4th June 2012, 19:58

Never seen that show nor did I read about it in the media and yet I am pretty sure based on what I've seen with my own eyes that pit bulls are not gentle creatures, not according to what the dictionary would define as such.

ioan
4th June 2012, 20:08
Mindless stupidity can’t be banned, but regulations can be enforced to prevent potential harm caused by actions from irresponsible people.
Ownership of items that have the potential to cause public harm in the hands of a few negligent people needs to be balanced with the right to own the same items by the greater number of responsible citizens.
If society judges that the potential for serious harm caused by the few outweighs the right of ownership by the many, then laws need to be considered to restrict possession by all.

That is certainly the way to do it, just that it is difficult to implement it in a society where driving a car is a right (and every idi0t is allowed to do it after passing a laughable test), where owning a gun is a test (after passing another laughable test) which are much more dangerous then a dog when improperly handled? What if the uneducated majority wants to keep those rights no matter what?

D-Type
5th June 2012, 13:02
On the question of dogs: different breeds were originally bred for different puposes with different characteristics being developed.

Labradors were bred as retrievers. Which is why the breed have a "soft mouth" - there aren't many dogs that can carry an egg in their mouth without breaking it. or our one's party trick: to carry his dinner bowl in at dinner time.

German shepherds were bred as sheepdogs. hence they tend to be more intelligent than some dogs and to be 'one man dogs' - so they respect and obey the shepherd.

Bulldogs were bred for one form of bull baiting - they would bite the bull and hang on - hence the shape of their mouths.

Bull terriers were bred for bull baiting. Hence their quick reactions.

Pit bull [terriers] were developed from the more aggressive bull terriers as fighting dogs. They were bred to be aggressive.

I could go on boring you with the characteristics of other breeds but I think the point is clear. A dog is bred to have certain characteristics that mean it can be trained as a working dog. If trained otherwise or not trained, it's basic nature will come out.

Sadly, this is what has happened with pit bulls, rottweillers, dobermans , german shepherds etc. They have been trained as fighters or guard dogs. But being dogs, they cannot differentiate between one perceived threat and another so they attack. And those who don't understand a dog's nature call it an "unprovoked attack"