PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Canadian Grand Prix Thread

Tazio
29th May 2012, 06:51
Pirelli will be bringing the same yellow branded soft “primes” and red branded super soft “options” My guess is we are looking at a two stopper!

airshifter
29th May 2012, 10:55
I would think a two stopper would be the norm, but I think we have seen single stop strategies from some teams in recent years. Combined with "maybe rain" situations such as Monaco it could lead more teams to single stop.

I usually enjoy the Canadian race, even if there isn't a great deal of passing as a norm.

Hawkmoon
29th May 2012, 12:03
Montreal is normally much harder on the tyres than Monaco so I would think 2 stops would be minimum with 3 more likely.

Lotus and Mercedes should be strong in qualifying as they are quite quick in a straight line but I think this one might be a Red Bull vs McLaren affair in the race. I don't expect Ferrari to be that strong unless the planned updates work very well.

F1boat
30th May 2012, 10:08
I hope for many stops and a thriller like in Spain, not another procession. But if the tires are strong enough for one stop, the race I think will be very boring.

Jake Stephens
30th May 2012, 21:41
Hopefully the race matches the drama of last year! :)

AndyL
31st May 2012, 10:23
Hopefully the race matches the drama of last year! :)

I liked the idea of having a dinner break in the middle of the race, I hope they keep that in for this year too :)

Wasted Talent
31st May 2012, 10:47
Hopefully I won't be wrong but long straights plus DRS means overtaking should be a bit easier than average so teams will be able to go more aggressive on tyres so 2-3 stops. Might mean some drivers opt out of Q3.

Also a chance there will be some rain over the GP weekend, but we can't expect a repeat of last year's rain and drama....................can we????

WT

F1boat
31st May 2012, 15:40
I hope that the race will be 2 hours and will not end in some ungodly hour...

Bagwan
31st May 2012, 16:11
Regarding the possible disruption by the disgruntled students , they have made an offer of terms to settle the dispute , and we now wait to see if some kind of compromise will be adopted .

Perhaps the pressure put on by naming the weekend as a target has had more effect than in Bahrain .

F1boat
1st June 2012, 08:53
Naming the weekend as a target is bullying and it is ridiculous.

Bagwan
2nd June 2012, 12:55
Posters are up all across Montreal , apparently , advertising where the protestors are to gather , before invading the subway .
It is not looking good .

As far as using the GP weekend to push this agenda , I can sorta see the point behind this , if I'm reading it right .
The students see a large gathering being advertised , for basically frivolous entertainment reasons , when they , themselves are being oppressed by new laws , designed specifically to counter thier own large gatherings , organised behind what they see as essential needs .

This has been a major fluff for the Charest government .
Instead of quelling the protests , the reactionary law change has cemented the wall of linked arms .
They now fight for a principle , rather than just against a fee increase .

Tazio
4th June 2012, 14:18
Posters are up all across Montreal , apparently , advertising where the protestors are to gather , before invading the subway .
It is not looking good .

As far as using the GP weekend to push this agenda , I can sorta see the point behind this , if I'm reading it right .
The students see a large gathering being advertised , for basically frivolous entertainment reasons , when they , themselves are being oppressed by new laws , designed specifically to counter thier own large gatherings , organised behind what they see as essential needs .

This has been a major fluff for the Charest government .
Instead of quelling the protests , the reactionary law change has cemented the wall of linked arms .
They now fight for a principle , rather than just against a fee increase .

They have now announced that they have cancelled the Thursday proceedings.

"Considering the various disruption threats made public recently, the free admission and the naturally open character of the open house day revealed some risks that we could not ignore," said promoter Francois Dumontier.

"We wish to express our sincere apologies to the F1 fans and, among them, a good share of our spectators who appreciate this annual gathering with the world championship teams," he added.

Despite the cancellation, Dumontier insisted Montreal is safe for race-goers.

F1: Canada GP Calls Off Events Amid Security Threat (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-canada-gp-calls-off-events-amid-security-threat/)

jens
4th June 2012, 14:29
So... let's try to predict anything? :D At least on paper it looks a suitable circuit for Mercedes. McLaren should be competitive as well. On the other hand Lotus and Red Bull seem to be going well in very hot conditions, but Canadian GP is probably not going to be one of these. So it may be a challenging weekend for these teams.

D28
4th June 2012, 14:48
The circuit Gilles Villeneuve is particularly vulnerable to disruption by demonstrators as the majority of spectators arrive by the Metro. From the above posts is appears some sort of disruption is inevitable; let's hope police take a firm stand to ensure those holding tickets can easily gain access to the circuit. Todays cancellation is certain to embolden the protesters.

F1boat
4th June 2012, 15:11
So that is the new generation of "freedom fighters". Dangerous loonies who ruin the fun of fans and families who wait for this race the whole year. And they are always presented as the good guys! Nauseating.

Bagwan
4th June 2012, 16:26
So that is the new generation of "freedom fighters". Dangerous loonies who ruin the fun of fans and families who wait for this race the whole year. And they are always presented as the good guys! Nauseating.

You do realise that the government has serious issues that need to be sorted out here , don't you ?
This marching has been going on for over a month , every day , and even with major events like the GP and the Comedy and Jazz festivals approaching quickly , nothing is sorted .
In fact , the situation is far worse now than ever , with new oppressive laws enacted .

That , Mr. Boat , is what is truly nauseating here .

If Charest fixes the problem today or tomorrow , then Thursday could be back on in a flash .
I hope that happens .
But the organisers have said that they've been working closely with the police on "contingency plans" for weeks , meaning , essentially , that they had little faith that any of this would be over , long ago .

Certainly , with this cancellation , a pall has fallen over the Montreal GP , and it's sad .
But , it's a pawn in a much bigger game .

Who knows , maybe it's check-mate ? And , the government will now back down .

schmenke
4th June 2012, 18:12
Tickets for the event have been sold, hotel accommodations have been booked. Revenues for local businesses have been planned.

In the event of a cancellation, financial compensation worth millions of $’s will be required for thousands of people, ultimately reimbursed by the taxpayer... the same taxpayer that the “students” are requesting fund their tuitions. I do hope that they realize the shot that they’re potentially taking in the foot... :s

D28
4th June 2012, 18:34
Schmenke"In the event of a cancellation, financial compensation worth millions of $’s will be required for thousands of people, ultimately reimbursed by the taxpayer.."It is only a free pre-race viewing event that has been cancelled; there is no consideration of cancelling any other part of the race meeting. The Canadian Grand Prix wil go ahead whatever demonstrators may do.

A FONDO
4th June 2012, 19:16
The more pit stops the better. But I'm sure saving tyres in qualifying will continue, until officials finally take measures.

N. Jones
4th June 2012, 19:54
I hope for many stops and a thriller like in Spain, not another procession. But if the tires are strong enough for one stop, the race I think will be very boring.

I don't think there has ever been a procession at Canada, so no worries there.

Did you know that the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix is the third most watched sporting event in the world, after the Super Bowl and the final of the FIFA World Cup?

schmenke
4th June 2012, 20:15
...Did you know that the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix is the third most watched sporting event in the world, after the Super Bowl and the final of the FIFA World Cup?

Didn’t realize that.
Undoubtedly facilitated by the time zone favourable to both the Americas and prime-time evening viewing in Europe.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th June 2012, 20:31
I don't think there has ever been a procession at Canada, so no worries there.

Did you know that the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix is the third most watched sporting event in the world, after the Super Bowl and the final of the FIFA World Cup?

It must 4th because the UEFA Champions League Final gets more viewers than the Super Bowl.

ioan
4th June 2012, 21:10

Do you realize how irrational your post is?
If it wasn't for some loonies there is a chance that you would still be living in communist Bulgaria and wouldn't even have the right to watch F1!
Nauseating! :rolleyes:

F1boat
5th June 2012, 09:23
Do you realize how irrational your post is?
If it wasn't for some loonies there is a chance that you would still be living in communist Bulgaria and wouldn't even have the right to watch F1!
Nauseating! :rolleyes:

Ioan, you can't seriously compare cyber bullies with people, who were send to concentration camps, I sincerely hope. Besides, you surely realize that the commies were betrayed from within but the modern "capitalists" in Eastern Europe. However, this is a topic for the Chit Chat forum.

F1boat
5th June 2012, 09:25
You do realise that the government has serious issues that need to be sorted out here , don't you ?
This issues IMO must be sorted in an election day or with peaceful, legal protests, not with ruining the time of fans and families who have payed for it with hard-earned cash.

Bagwan
5th June 2012, 16:19
This issues IMO must be sorted in an election day or with peaceful, legal protests, not with ruining the time of fans and families who have payed for it with hard-earned cash.

Up until recently , the protests , which consisted of thousands of people peacefully walking along main arteries of the city , whilst shouting slogans and waving banners and signs , were legal .
Now , at least a portion of the protesting is against that fact that the spontaneous protests are now illegal .

It should have been no surprise that the public would react in this way , given that the students are thousands of sons and daughters of mostly Canadian , many French/Canadian families , who are to foot the bill for the increases .
To not seemed to have listened to the group during protesting that has gone on for over a month , and then to suppress the collective voice has landed the government in a mess .

It is , indeed , sad that a great weekend in a world-class city may be spoiled to an extent , but I think there's perhaps more to it than what's on the surface .

Some in Montreal are now so cynical as to the government stance in all of this , that it is believed that there was no plan to settle the dispute , but rather , to paint the protestors in a bad light by running them into a few of the summer events .

So , yes it sucks , but we are talking about the oppression of free speech .
Blaming the students is a bit too simple .

Malbec
5th June 2012, 17:15

Errr thats exactly how the whole process started, with legal peaceful protests. Bagwan can correct me on this but it is the government's violent response that has caused an escalation.

Bagwan, is it true that it isn't just students now involved in the movement but people from other walks of life too? Whats the level of local support?

Robinho
5th June 2012, 18:13
if we've got violent responses to peaceful legal protests, then should we campaigning for the GP to be taken away the same as we did for Bahrain?

fandango
5th June 2012, 18:19
I don't know much about the planned protest. I can see their point, but I hope it all gets sorted out.

As for the race - Schumacher. He's got the car, he's got the history of winning there. He's driving on form, perhaps. If he doesn't win, it'll have to be for a good reason, something properly beyond his control.

schmenke
5th June 2012, 18:54
Up until recently , the protests , which consisted of thousands of people peacefully walking along main arteries of the city , whilst shouting slogans and waving banners and signs , were legal .
Now , at least a portion of the protesting is against that fact that the spontaneous protests are now illegal .

It should have been no surprise that the public would react in this way , given that the students are thousands of sons and daughters of mostly Canadian , many French/Canadian families , who are to foot the bill for the increases .
To not seemed to have listened to the group during protesting that has gone on for over a month , and then to suppress the collective voice has landed the government in a mess .

It is , indeed , sad that a great weekend in a world-class city may be spoiled to an extent , but I think there's perhaps more to it than what's on the surface .

Some in Montreal are now so cynical as to the government stance in all of this , that it is believed that there was no plan to settle the dispute , but rather , to paint the protestors in a bad light by running them into a few of the summer events .

Um, no Baggie, there has been nothing peaceful about the recent protests in Québec, but I do agree that the students are not to blame.

The protesters’ spokesman, Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, is the leader of the high-profile radical provincial student body CLASSE.

At the prompting of Nadeau-Dubois, the protesters have caused public damage from day one, and continue to do so. They demonstrate no sympathy to the local merchants or citizens whose property they destroy.

Protesters show up donned in balaclavas looking for provocation then accuse the police of harassment when arrest attempts are made.

They have recently filed their planned routes in advance with the local authorities only to end up marching in a completely different direction, fluanting the regulations to which they agreed, further instigating confrontation.

Nadeau-Dubois has actively organized picket lines in front of university campuses physically barring students from entering classes.

The government’s proposed tuition increases, the catalyst for the recent “student” protests, are meager. The average tuition increase amounts to less than $265 per year for the next five years.
Please consider that university tuitions in Quebec are the lowest in North America, even with the proposed increases.
I find ironic when I see many protesters taking video footage with their smart phones which cost more than the proposed tuition increases.

The government has increasingly tried to negotiate with the student body in good faith but the leaders of CLASSE continue to reject or ignore any proposed discussions.
No one is “suppressing the collective voice” Baggie. This is utter nonsense. The marches are permitted to continue, however the government has had to pass emergency legislation to try to regulate the activities in attempt to minimize further public damage.
The idea of "suppression of free speech", as you put it Baggie, in the most liberal province in one of the most democratically free countries in the world is laughable.

It's interesting to note that Nadeau-Dubois, who attended private school as a child, received a scholarship grant from the provincial government in 2008 for $20,000 for his university studies. When questioned by the press of the potential contradiction between the receipt of this grant and his recent protests of tuition costs, he declined to comment.

I graduated from university in Quebec and at the time students were well aware, and grateful, for the low tuitions funded by taxpayers. I remember a tuition increase mid-way through my curriculum and although a few grumblings were heard by students, we never thought of protesting with violence in the streets. I’m sure the vast majority of students feel this way today.

Apologies the rant and taking this thread off topic.

schmenke
5th June 2012, 18:57
if we've got violent responses to peaceful legal protests, then should we campaigning for the GP to be taken away the same as we did for Bahrain?

Not even comparable Robinho. Don't go there. :laugh:

F1boat
5th June 2012, 19:48

I still think that there are much better ways of making a political stance then spoiling the fun of other people, who, I repeat, are giving their hard earned cash for that one weekend. And unlike the Bahraini, they are not kings and queens..

Bagwan
5th June 2012, 19:57
Um, no Baggie, there has been nothing peaceful about the recent protests in Québec, but I do agree that the students are not to blame.

The protesters’ spokesman, Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, is the leader of the high-profile radical provincial student body CLASSE.

At the prompting of Nadeau-Dubois, the protesters have caused public damage from day one, and continue to do so. They demonstrate no sympathy to the local merchants or citizens whose property they destroy.

Protesters show up donned in balaclavas looking for provocation then accuse the police of harassment when arrest attempts are made.

They have recently filed their planned routes in advance with the local authorities only to end up marching in a completely different direction, fluanting the regulations to which they agreed, further instigating confrontation.

Nadeau-Dubois has actively organized picket lines in front of university campuses physically barring students from entering classes.

The government’s proposed tuition increases, the catalyst for the recent “student” protests, are meager. The average tuition increase amounts to less than $265 per year for the next five years.
Please consider that university tuitions in Quebec are the lowest in North America, even with the proposed increases.
I find ironic when I see many protesters taking video footage with their smart phones which cost more than the proposed tuition increases.

The government has increasingly tried to negotiate with the student body in good faith but the leaders of CLASSE continue to reject or ignore any proposed discussions.
No one is “suppressing the collective voice” Baggie. This is utter nonsense. The marches are permitted to continue, however the government has had to pass emergency legislation to try to regulate the activities in attempt to minimize further public damage.
The idea of "suppression of free speech", as you put it Baggie, in the most liberal province in one of the most democratically free countries in the world is laughable.

It's interesting to note that Nadeau-Dubois, who attended private school as a child, received a scholarship grant from the provincial government in 2008 for $20,000 for his university studies. When questioned by the press of the potential contradiction between the receipt of this grant and his recent protests of tuition costs, he declined to comment.

I graduated from university in Quebec and at the time students were well aware, and grateful, for the low tuitions funded by taxpayers. I remember a tuition increase mid-way through my curriculum and although a few grumblings were heard by students, we never thought of protesting with violence in the streets. I’m sure the vast majority of students feel this way today.

Apologies the rant and taking this thread off topic.

You never had to deal the kind of increases that these kids are seeing , but still saw grumblings about increases regardless .
And , by the look of it , the vast majority are protesting non-violently .

ioan
5th June 2012, 20:03
Ioan, you can't seriously compare cyber bullies with people, who were send to concentration camps, I sincerely hope. Besides, you surely realize that the commies were betrayed from within but the modern "capitalists" in Eastern Europe. However, this is a topic for the Chit Chat forum.

I'm pretty sure that you are not fully understanding what happened in your country 22 years ago.
It was all about asking for rights and standing up for those rights. This is pretty much the same principle, just applied to another case.

ioan
5th June 2012, 20:08
I still think that there are much better ways of making a political stance then spoiling the fun of other people, who, I repeat, are giving their hard earned cash for that one weekend.

C'mon, is this for real?!
How dare people with social request dare to spoil the fun for those who can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a handful of hours of 'fun'. :s
I'm lost for words when I am trying to express how important is this 'fun' for the future of humanity! :rolleyes:

ioan
5th June 2012, 20:13

University tuition in Europe are for mostly for free! Compared to that 265$ more / year , especially when you don't have that money, might be the difference between make or brake for a young person.

I'll tell you what, I will always support students standing up for their rights because history proves them right and their requests changed the world into a better place. Just think about 1968!

jens
5th June 2012, 20:18
Umm. I don't think it is advisable to start concentrating on political issues here.

schmenke
5th June 2012, 21:08
Umm. I don't think it is advisable to start concentrating on political issues here.

Agreed. Again, my apologies.
I'd be happy to debate further via pm or a separate thread in the CC forum.

Knock-on
6th June 2012, 10:38
Well, my view is the same as with Bahrain. It's got nothing to do with F1 so keep politics out of it.

Looking at the race, it should be a real hum-dinger. Friday looks cold an wet, Saturday a little better and Sunday dry, cloudy and warm. Good luck getting a setup perfected with that lot. Even if the tyres were as predictible as they could be, teams are still going to struggle.

Could be a classic :)

Bagwan
6th June 2012, 13:43
Errr thats exactly how the whole process started, with legal peaceful protests. Bagwan can correct me on this but it is the government's violent response that has caused an escalation.

Bagwan, is it true that it isn't just students now involved in the movement but people from other walks of life too? Whats the level of local support?

There are at least four different student federations involved here , and the most radical is CLASSE .
It is this group that has most of the headlines .

There is a war of words going on right now in the headlines , with some student groups saying the intention is not to disrupt the festivals and events , and the government defiant , not really hearing them , insisting that there will be consequence to disruption .

Even CLASSE has put out word that the only intention is to inform the visitors of thier plight .

And , yes , Bill 78 has caused a lot of ruckus , making the traditional pots and pans clanging by the general population a part of this issue .

These protests have been regularly seeing tens of thousands of people participating .
Add those numbers with the Grand Prix visitors and you have a hell of a logistic problem moving people .

It will be a hell of a sea of people , and I expect , at the very least , to see a lot of red squares , the symbol of the movement , in the crowd .
At worst , the crowd may smell teargas rather than tire smoke .

I am sorry if this is deemed too political , but the reality of this is that it will affect the race , and I expect it to be rather harder to hide the politics of it than it was in Bahrain .

F1boat
7th June 2012, 10:28
I'm pretty sure that you are not fully understanding what happened in your country 22 years ago.
It was all about asking for rights and standing up for those rights. This is pretty much the same principle, just applied to another case.

I am Master of Political Studies. I am pretty sure that I understand the situation pretty well. Your other post shows disrespect to the fans of the sport, who give part of their hard earned cash to enjoy an event, which will likely live with them for the rest of their lives. You are actually posting like a hipster. I still can't understand why you post here if you don't follow the series and no longer enjoy it. To ruin our time in the forum? That's the definition of trolling, really. I really hope that you'll enjoy the GT racing this weekend and will comment something positive, although, given your history here, I doubt it.

BDunnell
7th June 2012, 11:24
I still can't understand why you post here if you don't follow the series and no longer enjoy it.

I wish I could find the relevant quote: it said something like 'You won't see me around here' if Bahrain goes ahead.

ioan
7th June 2012, 21:58
I wish I could find the relevant quote: it said something like 'You won't see me around here' if Bahrain goes ahead.

Did you see me comment on F1 races lately?

ioan
7th June 2012, 21:59
I am Master of Political Studies.

That's a helluva surprise, honestly. The positive thing about it is that explains quite a lot of things.

Your other post shows disrespect to the fans of the sport, who give part of their hard earned cash to enjoy an event, which will likely live with them for the rest of their lives. You are actually posting like a hipster. I still can't understand why you post here if you don't follow the series and no longer enjoy it. To ruin our time in the forum? That's the definition of trolling, really. I really hope that you'll enjoy the GT racing this weekend and will comment something positive, although, given your history here, I doubt it.

As I said in the past, cry me a river! Or man up.

ioan
7th June 2012, 22:04
You've discussed aspects related to races, so the answer is 'yes'. Not speaking personally, but I think you built up the hopes of a few here.

:rotflmao:
Hope you can still sleep at night, when you think that I might somehow post about a social problem in a GP thread every 2nd week. :D

Tazio
8th June 2012, 05:28
I'll throw in with ioan and back his play to the hilt, including that I recognise Robin Hood as the second Don of the original Anglo/Mafia if he posts something to the effect of (the "Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro F1" Team to this point in the season is the least Muppetesque operation of the current F1 field, bar none).
No, I’ll throw in with him if he posts that parenthetical phrase in this thread precisely, and in its entirety.

F1boat
8th June 2012, 08:10
I think that while ioan's heroic battle for social justice and human rights is amusing, it is time to come back to the racing :) If the race goes untroubled, do you think that we will have winner number 7?

pino
8th June 2012, 08:59
Nice suggestion F1boat, let's talk about the race now...how about a win for Massa ? :p :

Bagwan
8th June 2012, 13:46
I hope they get to race .
Twenty or so hooded thugs were arrested last night , trying to disrupt the cocktail party , armed with lightbulbs full of paint .

Not many lines written about it though , as , almost everyone wants to ignore it , it seems .

As far as the race goes , if we get one , maybe we'll get another winner , but I don't think it will be Felipe . Try Kimi .
Renault , having just unceremoniously dumped Bahar , could use the boost , and it would be especially poignant , considering the timing .

Malbec
8th June 2012, 14:01
Renault , having just unceremoniously dumped Bahar , could use the boost , and it would be especially poignant , considering the timing .

Lotus Renault haven't had anything to do with Bahar or Lotus roadcars since earlier this year so I don't think they care much.

Looking forward to the race as well though, especially if the weather is changeable.

Robinho
8th June 2012, 14:16
Lotus Renault haven't had anything to do with Bahar or Lotus roadcars since earlier this year so I don't think they care much.

Looking forward to the race as well though, especially if the weather is changeable.

don't be so sure that this isn't part of the process of Lopez and Genii acquiring Lotus from the new owners of Proton

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Tazio
8th June 2012, 15:10
Nice suggestion F1boat, let's talk about the race now...how about a win for Massa ? :p :It's within the realm of possibility :s mokin:

schmenke
8th June 2012, 15:35
... armed with lightbulbs full of paint ...

How'd they get the paint into the lightbulbs? :cornfused:

A win for Kimi is about due, although I'm predicting a second win for either Moldanado or Alonso :up: .

Tazio
8th June 2012, 15:57
The Boss is looking pretty impressive. The Hamiltonians may have a lot to celebrate come Sunday :up:

truefan72
8th June 2012, 16:22
The Boss is looking pretty impressive. The Hamiltonians may have a lot to celebrate come Sunday :up:

its early, and I've been given false hope before
but yeah, he looks strong, but the Mercedes is ominous, as are the lotus who seem not to show their hand
it will be an interesting weekend

truefan72
8th June 2012, 16:23
vettel might be in trouble for his foolish move on senna

truefan72
8th June 2012, 16:25
HRT's faster than Virgin's ( sorry Marrusia)
Senna, giving us his typical poor perforamnce

Tazio
8th June 2012, 16:36
its early, and I've been given false hope before
but yeah, he looks strong, but the Mercedes is ominous, as are the lotus who seem not to show their hand
it will be an interesting weekendIn my pickems I tipped Nico for the win.

SGWilko
8th June 2012, 16:46
unceremoniously dumped Bahar.

They deserve a medal!

Malbec
8th June 2012, 16:48
don't be so sure that this isn't part of the process of Lopez and Genii acquiring Lotus from the new owners of Proton

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I believe Genii aren't interested because of the £700 million loans attached to Lotus which makes the company almost unsellable. At the moment there are no significant bidders for the business although there are rumours of links to a Chinese car company.

SGWilko
8th June 2012, 16:48
How'd they get the paint into the lightbulbs? :cornfused:.

I suspect they removed them from the light fitting first - although, just how many students it takes to do this is anyones guess! :D

Anyone know what brand/colour paint - no self respecting painter/decorator would use anything other than Dulux........

truefan72
8th June 2012, 19:53
senna just proving once again that he is not good enough for f1.
That Williams is a decent car and with a good driver in the #2, both will probably be consistent top 10 runners
at this point, he is as incompetent, accident & mistake prone as Piquet Jr.

fandango
8th June 2012, 20:01
The "wall of champions" is more of a "cushion of champions" these days...

Garry Walker
8th June 2012, 21:47
Betrayed?

vettel might be in trouble for his foolish move on senna

What did bieber do?

Tazio
9th June 2012, 14:33
Red Bull asked to change brake cooling as well - F1technical.net (http://www.f1technical.net/news/17431?u)

Red Bull Racing have been asked before the Canadian GP to change the design of their front brake cooling system following an FIA inspection on the parts. The FIA considers part of the cooling system an aerodynamic advantages, and hence declares it not in line with the regulations. WTF
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red-Bull-Bremse-Formel-1-2012-Piola-19-fotoshowImageNew-1653cac9-603283.jpg

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red-Bull-Bremse-Formel-1-2012-Piola-19-fotoshowImageNew-9a09a92e-603284.jpg

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red-Bull-Bremse-Formel-1-2012-Piola-19-fotoshowImageNew-5473f891-603285.jpg I'm starting to wonder if Red Bull has been reposed above the rules?

wedge
9th June 2012, 14:39
Vettel gets a reprimand for bumping into Sennay cf. Malaysian GP where Karthikayen was penalised for being on the receiving end of Vettel's error.

I guess it won't be long till 'The Crash Kid' tag comes back.

Tazio
9th June 2012, 15:24
Red Bull is new Ferrari
:mad:

Tazio
9th June 2012, 15:47
What a mind F###

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2012, 18:04
Mark Webber made the very valid point that there are many of these rule "clarifications" during the course of a season. Perhaps it's simply a case of Red Bull making the headlines because they are the current champions.

pino
9th June 2012, 18:08
Who will take pole from Lewis this time ? :D

pino
9th June 2012, 18:14
Andy Latham or Phil Prew is my guess. The fuel guy is having a coffee. :D

Nice one lol :up: :D

rjbetty84
9th June 2012, 18:28
They deserve a medal!

Oh I second that :D

btw How come Jonathan Legard is back on Radio 5 Live? Did James Allen die?

I haven't been around for a while - and my rjbetty account won't login...

donKey jote
9th June 2012, 18:45
maldonado donkeyed it ...

pino
9th June 2012, 18:55
maldonado donkeyed it ...

Again :s

pino
9th June 2012, 18:57
Would be great a red pole to dedicate to Gilles :D

donKey jote
9th June 2012, 18:58
looks like it''ll bie bieber :s

donKey jote
9th June 2012, 18:59
alo purple s1 :o

gm99
9th June 2012, 19:00
Seeing Maldonado drive in Monaco and now Montreal makes me wonder who was in the car in Barcelona...

donKey jote
9th June 2012, 19:00
balls only P3 :mad:

jens
9th June 2012, 19:13
Can’t help but feel Pirelli modified the tyres due to excessive criticism that no-one could understand the tyres so far. In any case, it looks like we are set to return to „normal order” now with those more durable tyres. Vettel is back to his best form in qualifying. Quartet RBR, McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes seem to rise above others, so the underdogs have now little chance of creating an upset. Button looked decent in Q1 and Q2, but for some reason failed in Q3. In pre-season it was claimed that F2012 is better at heating tyres than F150. Based on Canada it seems to be the case, Alonso is a much bigger threat on Saturday.

truefan72
9th June 2012, 19:13
Again :s

one step forward, two steps back with this guy :|

truefan72
9th June 2012, 19:25
Just caught the end of quali and what a performance for Lewis!! Seeing how strong Red Bull were with Ferrari not too far away, its a fine performance from Hamilton. Lets hope he can leap the Red Bull in the race. :)

me too, but I'll settle for a clean start and staying within 1 second for the firs few laps ten passing him in the drs
he might go for a one stopper tomorrow
Hope he wins :up:

djparky
9th June 2012, 19:33
Seeing Maldonado drive in Monaco and now Montreal makes me wonder who was in the car in Barcelona...

agreed- normal servce has been resumed by the Williams boys :-(

djparky
9th June 2012, 19:34
Can’t help but feel Pirelli modified the tyres due to excessive criticism that no-one could understand the tyres so far. In any case, it looks like we are set to return to „normal order” now with those more durable tyres. Vettel is back to his best form in qualifying. Quartet RBR, McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes seem to rise above others, so the underdogs have now little chance of creating an upset. Button looked decent in Q1 and Q2, but for some reason failed in Q3. In pre-season it was claimed that F2012 is better at heating tyres than F150. Based on Canada it seems to be the case, Alonso is a much bigger threat on Saturday.

alas yes- so all those that moaned about the unpredictability of 2012 can now sleep well at night with the usual order re-established

Malbec
9th June 2012, 19:35
Can’t help but feel Pirelli modified the tyres

Are they new?

Zico
9th June 2012, 21:53
Can’t help but feel Pirelli modified the tyres due to excessive criticism that no-one could understand the tyres so far. In any case, it looks like we are set to return to „normal order” now with those more durable tyres.

Is that just a hunch Jens.. or had Pirrelli been reported to be considering this? Here was me thinking it just be this particular circuit rewarding the most aero efficient cars despite the nature of the tyres. Either way, It certainly will be interesting tomorow. :)
I missed the pickems deadline so here are my 1st three. I have that gut feeling that Vettel will control the race as he wishes, Hamilton will go backwards again, Alonso to finish second after having a brief go at Vettel, Hamilton third.. maybe?.. well, if McLaren keep their eye on the ball for a change. ;)

i_max2k2
9th June 2012, 22:01
Any chance for rain tomorrow?

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 02:08
I hope it rains tomorrow. Grosjean is my pick to win!

i_max2k2
10th June 2012, 05:21

I'm hoping but regarding Grosjean winning, I'll say even with no car on the track on the first lap, he'd still spin a few times by himself ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Tazio
10th June 2012, 07:10
Red Bull have enjoyed a couple of seasons where they have escaped sanctions when they have produced components outside the spirit of the rules and most other teams have enjoyed periods like this. Now they have got a little closer to pushing their luck and they will have to adapt.

True dat'

jens
10th June 2012, 07:58
Is that just a hunch Jens.. or had Pirrelli been reported to be considering this?

Just a guess at the moment. ;) And considering Montreal has been so hard on tyres in past seasons, it sounds quite unusual that now the tyres suddenly manage to hold together for much of the race.

pino
10th June 2012, 08:24
I too won't mind some rain, especially in the first part of the race...just to see who can catch Alonso :p :

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 08:29
I too won't mind some rain, especially in the first part of the race...just to see who can catch Alonso as he slides around-and-around like at Spa 2010. :p :I couldn't agree more. I bet Alonso would collect Hamilton and this place would finally go bonkers for a change.

Tazio
10th June 2012, 10:24
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/150/62bdd4edbfb6496aa1c28029ddcba895/l.png

:s ailor: Totally. He's one of my FGP pilots :)
Like later Glue, storm break, Swami' is overhead. :cool: :cool:

DexDexter
10th June 2012, 12:56

I agree, quite soon we're back to the old days some people missed so much.

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 12:59
Does anyone have a link to live feed? I can't believe Speed is showing a pre-race show, WSBK, and then a post-race show. :dozey:

rjbetty84
10th June 2012, 14:10
I agree, quite soon we're back to the old days some people missed so much.

I sarcastically second that. I remember the captivating 2002 season so well. :rolleyes:

N. Jones
10th June 2012, 14:57
Fox Sports - you suck.

The race is going to start at noon CDT but your going to show the race at 1:00CDT. You can't even show it live???

Ranger
10th June 2012, 15:19
Some suggestions on cyberspace that Red Bull have managed to blow the diffuser off-throttle.

(All of which could be complete tosh, of course...)

http://i.imgur.com/Kk9Jc.jpg

D28
10th June 2012, 16:00
Fox Sports - you suck.

The race is going to start at noon CDT but your going to show the race at 1:00CDT. You can't even show it live???

Hang in there. The scheduled start is for 2:00 Eastern Daylight Time according to Montrealgazette.com. Local TV listings for Fox show a time of 1:30 or 2:00 and the french RDS shows 1:30.
So Fox should be live. I am disappointed that they have the rights, but will have to make do, or watch in french who have extensive coverage.
Last year 1/2 of the broadcast was from SpeedTV, the 2nd half from the BBC feed, so some strange things go on

Good luck

steveaki13
10th June 2012, 16:35
I sarcastically second that. I remember the captivating 2002 season so well. :rolleyes:

Can we not go overboard. For 2 seasons now we had DRS and Pirellis, and the way you are talking every season before that was as dull as dishwater.

Why when someone says they preferred pre DRS and Pirelli F1.( i.e 2010 and back) do people think we are all wishing for 2002 repeats????

I enjoyed 2002, but it wasn't the best I know that, but why does everyone jump in and say because I don't feel quite as easy with F1 in the last couple of seasons. (I do still enjoy it by the way) that I love F1 with one driver pummelling the rest?????

Since I have watched F1 1994,1995,1996,1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2003,2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 have all had cracking battles and racing in my eyes, but not with DRS or Pirelli.

2011 and 2012 I have enjoyed as well, but on threads about the racing I give my honest opinion and unlike some don't rant at people I hope. And yet I still feel alot of people view me as an idiot because I dare to say I preferred it, before. (In fact mostly what I say is I love F1 both ways, however just feel slightly like F1 may be edging in the wrong direction for me as a fan).

I enjoyed 1992,1993,2002,2004 but these titles were a bit one sided. People seem to forget very quickly.

Forgive me.... Rant over

i_max2k2
10th June 2012, 16:41
Does anyone have a link to live feed? I can't believe Speed is showing a pre-race show, WSBK, and then a post-race show. :dozey:

If you have local channels its gonna be on fox, its channel 37 here in Colorado.

N4D13
10th June 2012, 16:42
Alonso has just uploaded a nice picture on Twitter:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4517/sinttuloxkj.png

No prizes for guessing what's wrong with it...

N4D13
10th June 2012, 16:48
By the way, a quick question - is it normal for the Canadian GP to start an hour after qualifying? I'm wondering whether it might have been done as to avoid being at the same time as the European Football Championship, but I'm totally clueless about this.

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 17:03

Classic! :rotflmao: :D :D

i_max2k2
10th June 2012, 17:04
By the way, a quick question - is it normal for the Canadian GP to start an hour after qualifying? I'm wondering whether it might have been done as to avoid being at the same time as the European Football Championship, but I'm totally clueless about this.

Its that way for most races I think, races are usually an hour after quali.

D28
10th June 2012, 17:22
I can't really remember, but I had expected a 1:00 start today, think that is normal. It is possible they wanted the Spain-Italy game mostly out of the way first.

Tazio
10th June 2012, 17:41
Does anyone have a link to live feed? I can't believe Speed is showing a pre-race show, WSBK, and then a post-race show. :dozey: My DVR went bonker$. You do realize that this $ea$on is rigged wor$t than any before it. I wi$h I could explain exactly why! :rolleyes:

steveaki13
10th June 2012, 17:49

Yes he is predicting 1-0. Never going to be a goal. :p ;)

airshifter
10th June 2012, 18:03
Soft pron in the TV?

N. Jones
10th June 2012, 18:09
Hang in there. The scheduled start is for 2:00 Eastern Daylight Time according to Montrealgazette.com. Local TV listings for Fox show a time of 1:30 or 2:00 and the french RDS shows 1:30.
So Fox should be live. I am disappointed that they have the rights, but will have to make do, or watch in french who have extensive coverage.
Last year 1/2 of the broadcast was from SpeedTV, the 2nd half from the BBC feed, so some strange things go on

Good luck

You're right - I just checked F1's official website and the race does indeed start at 1:00pm CDT, so it looks like it will be live after all.

tfp
10th June 2012, 18:11
Grrr! I cant watch this pre race coverage-5 mins of coverage and 5 mins of adverts! Bbc wasnt like this!!

N4D13
10th June 2012, 18:44

Actually, this is not the original picture. Someone told me that it was and I bought it.

The original one is here: https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/211825990454878208/photo/1/large ;)

Nikki Katz
10th June 2012, 18:51
I'm not normally a Jacques basher, but he's been really critical of Alonso's teammates while he was at Renault this weekend, saying that he's not had a good benchmark teammate etc. So, those people would be Trulli, Fisichella, Piquet, Grosjean (who he's been most critical of) and, ehm, Villeneuve???

Garry Walker
10th June 2012, 19:09
Easy victory for bieber, red bull is very obviously the fastest car again. Hopefully Alonso and Hamilton can hold off the much faster RB of webbo

pino
10th June 2012, 19:11
Massa :s

Garry Walker
10th June 2012, 19:15
Awesome racing, with Nico being told to save fuel and tyres. Great, that is what F1 should be about. Saving tyres and fuel. Yep.

jarrambide
10th June 2012, 19:19
Awesome racing, with Nico being told to save fuel and tyres. Great, that is what F1 should be about. Saving tyres and fuel. Yep.

Well, the tyre part I don't have a problem with, it is like breaking in F1, if you don't know how to brake, you lose your brakes in 5 laps, with tires it is the same, if you don't know what you're doing, you lose your tires way before everyone else, the gas conservation, well, that is on his team, supposedly they can figure out exactly how much fuel your car will need, if they don't do it right, they pass the buck to theor driver and ask him to conserve fuel.

Garry Walker
10th June 2012, 19:19
Fuel and tyre management is what the sport has been about since 1950. This is nothing new.

Never to such degree as now.

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 19:22
Actually, this is not the original picture. Someone told me that it was and I bought it.

The original one is here: https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/211825990454878208/photo/1/large ;)

you donkey ! :laugh:

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 19:24
vettel's cooked his tyres... stoopid pirelli :p

tfp
10th June 2012, 20:03
Vettel struggling with Alonso and Hamilton ready to pounce. Get in.

Oh yes:-) did you see the fight with kimi rosberg and perez? That is why I watch this:-)

i_max2k2
10th June 2012, 20:06
Schumacher has no luck what so ever.

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 20:13
Hamilton gets screwed on another pit stop.

Mike Shoe keeps getting broken cars.

Massa looking shameful. Edit: Now he's kicking butt!

Button being lapped by Hamilton.

Boring race initially, but now it's getting fun again.

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 20:20
Are Red Bull and Ferrari really going to the end or pulled a massive blunder? Hamilton catching and a pit stop will put them behind Romain and a SC would screw them completely.Blunder. Hamilton is catching them pretty fast on fresher tires. I really don't want Alonso to win.

tfp
10th June 2012, 20:22
Hamilton hunting the leaders down!!!

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 20:33
Perez vs. Alonso Showdown: Part II

Alonso is like a sitting duck.

tfp
10th June 2012, 20:37
Get in hamilton!!!

truefan72
10th June 2012, 20:38
what a race!
what a race!

yeah!

Hamilton
Grosjean
Perez

I could not expect a better result for the GP and WDC

JasonPotato
10th June 2012, 20:39
Fantastic race. Canada never fails to deliver! Slowly becoming my favourite track. Well done Lewis for the amazing fight back and Grosjean and Perez for a great race and deserve a podium.

Garry Walker
10th June 2012, 20:41
With tyres in recent times maybe, but we've seen races dictated by fuel management in seasons gone by which have had much the same effect as what we are witnessing here. I'm very much enjoying this type of racing.

Fuel management never used to play such a part in most of the 90s.

truefan72
10th June 2012, 20:42
yup

those 2 guys one stopped and were still lightning quick at the end

jens
10th June 2012, 20:45
Wow, what an incredible race! When after the first pitstop the order was Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and they were well in front of others, it seemed nothing was going to happen any more. But it was going to happen in the end! Strategy meant everything today and with skillful strategy even midfield teams managed to put themselves in contention. Grosjean and Pérez on podium - great, great, absolutely fantastic! :up: :up:

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 20:48
Crowd chanting, "Mexico! Mexico!" Goosebumps. Great race!

truefan72
10th June 2012, 20:53
wow paddy lowe throwing button under the bus on sky
can't say I blame him

gloomyDAY
10th June 2012, 20:55
wow paddy lowe throwing button under the bus on sky
can't say I blame himWhat did he say?

truefan72
10th June 2012, 20:58
agreed, he did sorta come around at the end

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 21:05
Whitmarsh said on German TV that with hindsight they might have made a mistake with Button's suspension settings...

Dave B
10th June 2012, 21:06
Wow. If Schumacher fell into a bucket of tits he'd come up sucking his own thumb. :p

andyone
10th June 2012, 21:19
Woow i cant explain how Happy I am.. at Last Hamilton Wins!!! so long Haters... and back to the Championship lead. i cant bealeave Red-bull or Ferrari will do such a bad mistake
But others mistake we Get happy... Awesome job Hamilton

Tazio
10th June 2012, 21:22
WDC standings :
Alonso 88
Hamilton 88
Vettel 85
or am I mistaken? :crazy:

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 21:24
You're mistaken... Alo is on 86 :)

Tazio
10th June 2012, 21:26
That's tight ;)

steveaki13
10th June 2012, 21:45
Hopefully Seb won't be on our screens for the rest of the race and we can watch the racing. The Red Bull has really made leaps in performance over the past few races and hopefully the tyres can save the season from turning into another 2011!!

Be patient and F1 can change, don't need instant results. :)

Not got much of an issue with the tyre saving, but it does bug me about not putting enough fuel in, i know it must save time over the race distance, but you do wonder if they put in a fuller tank and pushed all race, how much they would lose.

Schumacher has no luck what so ever.

No it really is unfair :(

Wow. If Schumacher fell into a bucket of tits he'd come up sucking his own thumb. :p :D

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 21:52
That's tight ;)

almost as tight as Billy's missus was ;) :andrea:

SGWilko
10th June 2012, 22:14

Someones using the rear entrance?

donKey jote
10th June 2012, 22:26
nah, someone's using photoshop. still amusing though :laugh:

Big Ben
10th June 2012, 22:36
Missed this one too.. but I did managed to see Hamilton brilliant move on Alonso... they way he pushed that button was amazing... but even so I was satisfied I went bowling instead.

steveaki13
10th June 2012, 22:46
they way he pushed that button was amazing....

It needs a talented driver to push DRS button like that. What skill. :p

Tazio
11th June 2012, 01:41
almost as tight as Billy's missus was ;) :andrea:
He's not with your missus, because he has an offer he can't refuse. :andrea: :p

truefan72
11th June 2012, 01:43
Not got much of an issue with the tyre saving, but it does bug me about not putting enough fuel in, i know it must save time over the race distance, but you do wonder if they put in a fuller tank and pushed all race, how much they would lose.

I been thinking that all season. :up:

ShiftingGears
11th June 2012, 02:01
Hated this race. Any potentially interesting battles between the top drivers were over before they had begun, courtesy of DRS. When people think of "battles" between Hamilton and Alonso they generally expect more than the inevitability of one driver immediately passing because they pressed a button.

Boring.

airshifter
11th June 2012, 02:25
Easy victory for bieber, red bull is very obviously the fastest car again. Hopefully Alonso and Hamilton can hold off the much faster RB of webbo

So how did that prediction work out for you? :laugh:

Maybe at some point you will admit that when an RB driver does well it's a combination of the car and driver. Until then you can keep hating, and make excuses why other cars end up on top... in the case of this season quite a few other cars at that.

Mark
11th June 2012, 08:39
In contrast I really enjoyed this race. Started watching 10 minutes late, as often happens and usually I can catch up by the end of the race, but this time I didn't as I was glued to it all the way through. I know some people don't like DRS, but for me it means teams can try a strategy where they have to overtake other cars. Otherwise Hamilton would have been stuck behind Vettel and Alonso.

Dave B
11th June 2012, 08:48
Hated this race. Any potentially interesting battles between the top drivers were over before they had begun, courtesy of DRS. When people think of "battles" between Hamilton and Alonso they generally expect more than the inevitability of one driver immediately passing because they pressed a button.

Boring.
I never understand comments like that. Hamilton was able to pass not just because of DRS but also because his two-stop strategy meant he was on much fresher tyres; and if you look at Alonso's KERS usage he was habitually discharging most of it in the first sector and a half, leaving him less able to defend against Lewis who had saved about 50% to use in conjunction with his wing. Yes the pass looked trivially easy when it happened, but a lot of thought went into setting it up.

F1boat
11th June 2012, 09:38
Great drive for Lewis and the faerie tale continues - 7 races, 7 winners.

Tazio
11th June 2012, 10:10
Great drive for Lewis and the faerie tale continues - 7 races, 7 winners.This

ShiftingGears
11th June 2012, 10:23
I never understand comments like that. Hamilton was able to pass not just because of DRS but also because his two-stop strategy meant he was on much fresher tyres;

The first time he used it was when his tyres were two or three laps older than Alonso's.

Looking at the second time he passed Alonso, he was going at the same speed on the straight until he got into the DRS zone.

He passed because of DRS.

wedge
11th June 2012, 11:49

Based on the first stint, McLaren had the better car in Canada.

In contrast I really enjoyed this race. Started watching 10 minutes late, as often happens and usually I can catch up by the end of the race, but this time I didn't as I was glued to it all the way through.

F1 doesn't need the overtaking-fest that we had in Bahrain and Spain.

I know some people don't like DRS, but for me it means teams can try a strategy where they have to overtake other cars. Otherwise Hamilton would have been stuck behind Vettel and Alonso.

In 2007 Sato passed Alonso around the outside, in a Super Aguri, without the aid of DRS.

I never understand comments like that. Hamilton was able to pass not just because of DRS but also because his two-stop strategy meant he was on much fresher tyres; and if you look at Alonso's KERS usage he was habitually discharging most of it in the first sector and a half, leaving him less able to defend against Lewis who had saved about 50% to use in conjunction with his wing. Yes the pass looked trivially easy when it happened, but a lot of thought went into setting it up.

Goes to show F1 doesn't need to rely on DRS.

If DRS is supposed to be a work in progress then in future Montreal and Spa definitely don't need DRS.

F1boat
11th June 2012, 11:57
The DRS worked well, IMO, allowed the fastest cars to use their advantage. Better than the follow-the-leader processions in the past.

ShiftingGears
11th June 2012, 12:10
Hamilton was all over the back of Alonso through sector 2 and the chicane before the DRS zone however. It was clear to any observer that Lewis was close enough to make a pass stick even without the aid. Fresher tyres were more of a factor leading up to the pass IMO.

Hamilton got into the lead in the first place after the pitstops thanks to DRS - had it not been used, Alonso's tyres would have been up to temperature and Hamilton would've had to battle past Alonso for laps in order to make the two-stopper work. So DRS arguably enabled Hamilton's strategy to work, both times without any sort of quality battle between world class drivers.

Murray Walker used to say "Catching a driver is one thing, but passing him is quite another". Here it was one in the same, not allowing for any defensive driving or daring overtakes.

wedge
11th June 2012, 12:22
Hamilton got into the lead in the first place after the pitstops thanks to DRS - had it not been used, Alonso's tyres would have been up to temperature and Hamilton would've had to battle past Alonso for laps in order to make the two-stopper work. So DRS arguably enabled Hamilton's strategy to work, both times without any sort of quality battle between world class drivers.

Murray Walker used to say "Catching a driver is one thing, but passing him is quite another". Here it was one in the same, not allowing for any defensive driving or daring overtakes.

It probably would have been a different race entirely.

Defending his position would probably have taken life out Alonso's tyres for a one stopper to work.

N4D13
11th June 2012, 12:27
It probably would have been a different race entirely.

Defending his position would probably have taken life out Alonso's tyres for a one stopper to work.
Right, but a one-stopper didn't work even without defending his position. Even if Hamilton didn't pass Alonso on the track, he might have been able to overtake him by pitting before Fernando and using supersofts. It might have been a different race, but I don't think Alonso would have won this one.

SGWilko
11th June 2012, 14:45
The first time he used it was when his tyres were two or three laps older than Alonso's.

Looking at the second time he passed Alonso, he was going at the same speed on the straight until he got into the DRS zone.

He passed because of DRS.

Hamilton's rear wing was barn door-esque compared the other teams, banking on better grip to aid braking and relying on DRS for the overtakes.

Garry Walker
11th June 2012, 16:10
So how did that prediction work out for you? :laugh:

Maybe at some point you will admit that when an RB driver does well it's a combination of the car and driver. Until then you can keep hating, and make excuses why other cars end up on top... in the case of this season quite a few other cars at that. Hamilton was just the better driver yesterday. Bieber should have at least been 2nd, but he was beaten.

I never understand comments like that. Hamilton was able to pass not just because of DRS but also because his two-stop strategy meant he was on much fresher tyres; and if you look at Alonso's KERS usage he was habitually discharging most of it in the first sector and a half, leaving him less able to defend against Lewis who had saved about 50% to use in conjunction with his wing. Yes the pass looked trivially easy when it happened, but a lot of thought went into setting it up. Yeah, keep telling that to yourself. DRS kills overtaking.

Hamilton was all over the back of Alonso through sector 2 and the chicane before the DRS zone however. It was clear to any observer that Lewis was close enough to make a pass stick even without the aid. Fresher tyres were more of a factor leading up to the pass IMO. Without DRS there wouldn't have been any overtaking the first time.

Based on the first stint, McLaren had the better car in Canada.No.

In 2007 Sato passed Alonso around the outside, in a Super Aguri, without the aid of DRS.
And everyone remembers that great passing move. Who will remember these DRS moves? No one, they completely devalue overtaking.

schmenke
11th June 2012, 16:17
You're mistaken... Alo is on 86 :)

Fyi, Drivers standing as per the old 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system:

Sebastian Vettel 25
Lewis Hamilton 24
Fernando Alonso 24
Mark Webber 22
Nico Rosberg 19
Jenson Button 16
Romain Grosjean 14
Kimi Räikkönen 12
Pastor Maldonado 10
Sergio Perez 10
Kamui Kobayashi 3
Felipe Massa 1
Paul di Resta 1
Bruno Senna 1

wedge
11th June 2012, 16:48
No.

Your reason because.....

Vettel did 4 laps in the high 1m 19s, Hamilton managed 3 laps in that range yet he was more consistent than Vettel doing low 1m 20s which enabled him to close the gap and arguably the better car over a 2-stopper stint.

ArrowsFA1
11th June 2012, 16:53
Who will remember these DRS moves? No one, they completely devalue overtaking.
:up:

jens
11th June 2012, 17:08
Bieber should have at least been 2nd, but he was beaten.

Well, with better strategy he indeed could have been at least second.

Garry Walker
11th June 2012, 17:41
Your reason because.....

Vettel did 4 laps in the high 1m 19s, Hamilton managed 3 laps in that range yet he was more consistent than Vettel doing low 1m 20s which enabled him to close the gap and arguably the better car over a 2-stopper stint.

Hamilton simply is the more consistent and better driver and was that for sure yesterday.

schmenke
11th June 2012, 17:53
... Who will remember these DRS moves? No one, they completely devalue overtaking.

:up:

wedge
12th June 2012, 00:04
Hamilton simply is the more consistent and better driver and was that for sure yesterday.

We've seen Hamilton post inconsistent lap times because he doesn't quite have the handle of the car over a stint.

Haters gonna hate.