PDA

View Full Version : Indycar Incar Camera Streaming

Leafsfan Torontofan
28th May 2012, 01:20
Espn3 was great with lots of on Board Cameras and incar audio.I really wish Indycar would stream the onboard cameras and incar audio over the net.That is one thing Nascar fans get is Hot pass.I wish Indycar fans could get the same.

garyshell
28th May 2012, 05:18
I was watching the ESPN3.com feeds as well. Really was nice to have that option. I think Indycar is shooting itself in the foot offering only a Verizon app as the only way to see any sort of alternative feeds. It sucks. I had an i{ad with the Espn.com feed, my laptop with timing and scoring and my tv with the race. I'd hear the calls for yellow, first on the laptop, 2 seconds latter on the TV and a much longer delay, close to a lap, on the ESPN3.com feed.

Gary

Jag_Warrior
28th May 2012, 20:18
I can't get ESPN3 because my ISP isn't one of the favored ones. And only recently was DirecTV added to the list of TV providers offering Speed 2. These online viewing options are great. But (IMO) they are still far too limited for series to rely too heavily on them. As for the lack of mobile apps that focus on Indy Car, don't get me started on that.

As for the Verizon app, it's apparently available to Verizon cell phone customers (which I am). But I don't use a smart phone. For apps, I have an iPod Touch which uses WiFi (only), and that service is through Century Link. And from what I can see, even if I had an iPhone or iPad using 3G or 4G cellular, the Verizon app only works on Android devices. Which seems sort of stupid, since the Verizon app would be great on a tablet... and the most popular tablet (by far) is the iPad.

Oh well, maybe there'll be a functioning series website by 2015 and some sort of widely available mobile app by the next decade. I mean, these things take time. No need to rush things. This whole internet thing might prove to be nothing more than a short lived fad anyway. :rolleyes:

But for those lucky enough to get these services, they do sound like fun.

a8ree
28th May 2012, 21:44
I somehow managed to access Dario's cam from Scotland for about an hour of the race yesterday on ESPN3. Absolutely incredible coverage!

Its a pity that it stopped and noticed I wasn't in the US! Shame I can't buy access either

Marbles
28th May 2012, 22:03
Oddly enough, there was a lot of pixelation on the in-car cameras on the ABC broadcast, particularly the first few moments they switched to them. Also, ABC's ineptitude at broadcasting a race competently was exemplified not only by that and the talent challenged play booth but also missing the restarts on more than one occasion. Apparently they were preoccupied by something more important.

Leafsfan Torontofan
30th May 2012, 03:50
I Am extremely frustrated.I can't understand why they don't make a app for IPhone,IPad and android.I have a IPhone but I'm on Sprint and I have a Ipad.You could put live streams incar audio on the app.

nigelred5
31st May 2012, 14:03
I can't get ESPN3 because my ISP isn't one of the favored ones. And only recently was DirecTV added to the list of TV providers offering Speed 2. These online viewing options are great. But (IMO) they are still far too limited for series to rely too heavily on them. As for the lack of mobile apps that focus on Indy Car, don't get me started on that.

As for the Verizon app, it's apparently available to Verizon cell phone customers (which I am). But I don't use a smart phone. For apps, I have an iPod Touch which uses WiFi (only), and that service is through Century Link. And from what I can see, even if I had an iPhone or iPad using 3G or 4G cellular, the Verizon app only works on Android devices. Which seems sort of stupid, since the Verizon app would be great on a tablet... and the most popular tablet (by far) is the iPad.

Oh well, maybe there'll be a functioning series website by 2015 and some sort of widely available mobile app by the next decade. I mean, these things take time. No need to rush things. This whole internet thing might prove to be nothing more than a short lived fad anyway. :rolleyes:

But for those lucky enough to get these services, they do sound like fun.

I had commented in the race discussion threads on another forum that I was experiencing pixelization and buffering problems almost the entire race watching on HD and I eventually lost the ESPN incar feeds altogether. I watched the majority of the first half of hte race in regular definition. Man was that painful. The difference was amazing. I also finally had to stop my DVR from recording. I think I was having bandwidth issues as well as the ABC signal issues because other stations were fine for a while.

Verizon is discontinuing sales of 3G phones so they can eliminate all of us grandfathered on unlimited data plans. If you upgrade or get a new phone and stay with Verizon, they force you into a new plan when you have no choice to go to a 4g phone. All new andriod phones are 4GLTE on Verizon. Verizon didn't really WANT the iphone, but they wanted the business. Tehy make nest to nothing on the actual sale of Apple products, but they make quite a bit on the Andriod equipment.

If they make the APP available on Apple products, we'd all be chewing up their unlimited bandwidth even more.

This is what typing on an ipone is like. i friggin hate the thing and regret the day my wife bought it and would gladly take my old droid back.

nigelred5
31st May 2012, 14:04
I Am extremely frustrated.I can't understand why they don't make a app for IPhone,IPad and android.I have a IPhone but I'm on Sprint and I have a Ipad.You could put live streams incar audio on the app.

Because Verizon is an official sponsor and has exclusive rights and Verizon wants people using their 4g network on andriod, not Apple products...

IIRC, under the wonderful broadcast rights contracts, ESPN has the exclusive rights to live online streaming content, so we only get it when they broadcast a race. ICS doesn't provide much of anything, they rely on their "partners"

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2012, 19:53
I had commented in the race discussion threads on another forum that I was experiencing pixelization and buffering problems almost the entire race watching on HD and I eventually lost the ESPN incar feeds altogether. I watched the majority of the first half of hte race in regular definition. Man was that painful. The difference was amazing. I also finally had to stop my DVR from recording. I think I was having bandwidth issues as well as the ABC signal issues because other stations were fine for a while.

Verizon is discontinuing sales of 3G phones so they can eliminate all of us grandfathered on unlimited data plans. If you upgrade or get a new phone and stay with Verizon, they force you into a new plan when you have no choice to go to a 4g phone. All new andriod phones are 4GLTE on Verizon. Verizon didn't really WANT the iphone, but they wanted the business. Tehy make nest to nothing on the actual sale of Apple products, but they make quite a bit on the Andriod equipment.

If they make the APP available on Apple products, we'd all be chewing up their unlimited bandwidth even more.

This is what typing on an ipone is like. i friggin hate the thing and regret the day my wife bought it and would gladly take my old droid back.

I ended up with Verizon when they bought Alltel a couple of years ago. And to be honest, I've been pretty satisfied so far. The customer service has been worlds better than Alltel... which seemed to have a tendency to hire brain damaged teenage girls to handle all of their customer service. To make up for the last flub (which happened under Alltel before they took over), Verizon gave me a pretty generous monthly customer loyalty credit until the year 2035 or something like that. My plan is to probably be dead by then anyway, so I'll probably stick with them. Plus in my area, they have the best coverage.

You are right that Verizon (as well as all the others) makes very little, if anything, on the iPhone upfront. Like all the others, they make their money on the contracts, especially the (new forced) tiered contracts. But from what the Sprint CEO said, iPhone users actually consume less cellular data than Android users - and they churn out less often. iPhone users consume less data than Android, says Sprint CEO (http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/21/sprint-iphone-interview/). Plus, iPhone owners use Wi-Fi more than Android owners in U.S. and U.K. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/02/iphone_owners_use_wi_fi_more_than_android_owners_i n_us_and_uk.html) And that's what bothers me about this Verizon Indy Car app. Having an iPod Touch, I can only use Wi-Fi. The same is true of many iPad owners (in Q1 2012, 9 out of 10 tablets sold were Wi-Fi only). So given these facts, what I don't understand about the Verizon Indy Car app is them NOT offering it on iOS devices, which would more than likely access it by Wi-Fi... since this would have no negative affects on the 3G or 4G cellular networks. Compared to MLB or NFL apps, even if the the Indy Car app was mostly used on cellular, it would be such a tiny user base that it still shouldn't hurt anything. I haven't downloaded any of them, but there appears to be a dozen or more NASCAR apps accessible to iOS users. And the Softpauer F1 app is about as kick-@$$ as an app can be. But every single Indy Car app that I've tried has either been a crash prone joke or not updated since the day it was released.

You know my past. You know what a true hater of all things IRL I was. So as I have tried to turn over a new leaf and get more into the new Indy Car Series, I have been frustrated at every turn when it comes to timing & scoring, team info, etc. Hell, remember years ago when PacWest(?) had a shop cam??? You could log into the team's site and watch them work on the cars and actually watch a car being built up for a race. This was back in the late 90's, I think. And here we are 10 or 12 years later, and we can't even get a frickin' app for the series... from a series sponsor?! To me, this is like watching a caveman dropped off in the city of Rome and barely being able to build a campfire.... while the Romans are installing running water in their homes.

I don't want this to sound like a rant, but I'm probably too late. :D But would the powers that be at the ICS PLEASE get off their sad a$$es and get with the 21st century???!!!

nigelred5
1st June 2012, 00:58
I totally agree agout the customer service and coverage on Verizon. I've had and still do have cell and blackberry service on other carriers, but my personal phones have been on and probably always will be on Verizon. I've beena customer since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile and my phone had a crank and a shoulder strap.. The problem as I understand it, is the Indycar app is a VERIZON app, not an INDYCAR app. It's part of Verizons sponsorship activation as I'm told. IIRC, the app also may not run on 3G which the majority of Verizon's iphones still are.

Verizon knows well that Iphones out of the box are programmed to use wifi whenever available, quite the opposite of Android phones as the articles show. Verizon finally made the agreement to carry iPhones because there are tons of folks that buy the overmarketed hype from Apple and for some reason prefer them to the Android OS. I agree it is more stable, but it's also far more limited.

Verizon makes no money if folks are using Wifi. They make a ton on folks using their 3G/4G.

Jag_Warrior
1st June 2012, 19:49
I don't personally have anything against the Android OS. From what I've seen, it's very similar to the Apple iOS. But at some of the facilities that I visit, Android devices are barred from their networks. There are apparently continuing issues with malware in some Android apps and some organizations (and individuals) are leery of it when there might be issues of data leakage or mining. I think Google could do a better job of vetting and reviewing apps to make sure that the developers aren't just giving away an app that has a true intention to compromise the security of the device.

Speaking of apps and racing, have you ever seen or used the Softpauer F1 app (http://www.softpauer.com/f1site/)? It's available on the Apple OS, Android and even Blackberry. What did you think of that? It's not cheap, but I loaded it on my girl's iPad last year and it was pretty amazing - well worth the cost IMO. Something along these lines is what I think the series needs to do. If Verizon can't/won't do it, at the end of the day, the success of the series is up to the series. It wouldn't have to be as intense as the Softpauer F1 app. But they could go in this general direction and REALLY improve the at-home viewer's experience. Of the major racing series (F1, NASCAR, ALMS, NHRA), Indy Car and its teams seem to have the weakest mobile offerings. In fact, even the ICS website is still pretty sad. They could do better. And in this day and time, having these offerings is a basic necessity. In 1999, you could get away with having a weakish online presence. But not now.