SarahFan
27th May 2012, 22:36
Discuss

00steven
28th May 2012, 13:23
?

Phoenixent
28th May 2012, 18:23
Most did not even notice as the Unsers have not spent much time at Indy in the past to at Indycar events due to their own personal struggles. It's sad the a family the has nine Indy 500 wins between the three of them and hold the record for the most laps led at Indy would end up this way.

00steven
28th May 2012, 19:43
I like Al and Al Jr. but don't care for Bobby. That's why I didn't cheer for him during prerace.

SarahFan
28th May 2012, 20:03
Was bobby ?

00steven
28th May 2012, 20:18
Was bobby ?

No, but he was the only one there unless I missed something?

libra65
29th May 2012, 00:34
Lets let them take the time to clean up their personal issues before they tie the Unser name back to Indy car racing.

Eagledale Fan Since 1966
29th May 2012, 02:18
Lets let them take the time to clean up their personal issues before they tie the Unser name back to Indy car racing.

If Pete Rose can continue to be held to a position such that he perpetually is lobbied by fans to be in the Hall of Fame, than Bobby, Al Sr. and Al Jr. should be spoken about with the same passion as the Andretti's and Foyt IMO. Al is a four time winner...Bobby was a star and blew away everybody with that 196mph run...17 miles faster than the previous year...Al Jr. in his prime was among the series best. I could care less about there personal struggles when thinking about their careers at INDY...especially in the era's they achieved them...possibly the last of the true grit talents.

Phoenixent
29th May 2012, 02:21

I think the ICS is part of their problem.... The Indycar series has always promoted the Andretti's above the Unser's even though their are similar in stats as a families go. I think the ICS need to figure out how to get the Unser Family back in as part of ICS. You are talking about Nine Indy 500's, Seven OWS championships, and the one and only Triple Crown winner.

garyshell
29th May 2012, 02:50
I think the ICS is part of their problem.... The Indycar series has always promoted the Andretti's above the Unser's even though their are similar in stats as a families go. I think the ICS need to figure out how to get the Unser Family back in as part of ICS. You are talking about Nine Indy 500's, Seven OWS championships, and the one and only Triple Crown winner.

And more recently a name that has been dragged Thur the gutter by Jr. Sad as it is, he's done enough damage to make it a PR nightmare to try to resurrect the name. I thought he'd cleaned up his act and was ready to try to undo the damage he'd done to the family name and then he did it again. As much of a legacy as Bobby and Sr represent, I am afraid the public will think of Jr first when the name Unser is mentioned. I think ICS knows that and thats why they have shied away.

Gary

Chris R
29th May 2012, 11:47
The other thing is that the Andrettis are all directly involved in the sport at the moment AND there is an new generation of Andretti racing. There are no active Unsers - no team owners, no race promoters, no new generation drivers....

i am not sure the Unser's are getting slighted so mach as the Andretti's are EVERYWHERE because they are doing a little bit of everything....

I also think Al Sr. has never been one for the spotlight so you don't see him so much.... Bobby is a "talker" but has not been much of a "doer" since he retired.... Last but not least, in addition to Al Jr.'s problems - the only time you have seen an Unser in the news in recent years is for something less than good . Bobby's snowmobile issues, Al Sr. and Bobby getting into some sort of altercation with the police etc.... That probably limits their PR value to an extent BUT in the end I suspect it is mor about the Andretti family being in he thick of things these days and the Unser family to being a direct part of Indycar

methanolHuffer
29th May 2012, 17:50
I'm ok with the Unsers' mis-givings. Many of our friends have family that has struggled with chemical problems and/or police incidents. It's a shame, but it really doesn't impact me as a fan of the history of the sport.

I think if Bobby or Al Sr had something to sell, they wouldn't mind being exploited for the benefit of the speedway. Andrettis are willing to take any and all attention to promote themselves as it pays to have your name repeated ad nauseum, especially when there are sponsors to impress and wine to be sold.

Did the Unsers get slighted? I'm not familiar with any stories of this offence. Please link if so.

I bet If the speedway wanted to have any known name show up for the fans, it takes more than a plane ticket and hotel to get them there.

gm99
29th May 2012, 21:48
Whatever happened to "Just Al" (Al III)? He always seemed a decent fellow to me, especially with regard to the support he gave to his sister Cody. Not sure he quite had the talent to really make it in open-wheel racing, though.

call_me_andrew
30th May 2012, 03:44
Whatever happened to "Just Al" (Al III)? He always seemed a decent fellow to me, especially with regard to the support he gave to his sister Cody. Not sure he quite had the talent to really make it in open-wheel racing, though.

I was about to ask the same thing.