PDA

View Full Version : The wristwatch thread

iva.rpm
18th May 2012, 16:47
I have a small collection of watches. My favorite one is a Citizen Eco-Drive that my mother gave me as a gift, but I also enjoy wearing my cheap Casio F-91W. I love wristwatches, and I would like to know if there's anybody else here in this forum who enjoys this hobby, too :) .

MrJan
18th May 2012, 18:24
I've got a few, mostly cheapy things. I'm currently wearing a Roamer Incabloc, which used to belong to my grandfather, but my favourite is the Tissot PRC 200 that my dad got me for my 21st birthday. Other than that I've got a Casio F91 in silver (tacky as hell, but I like it), 3 different Swatches, a basic Gul (surfing brand) and one with a picture of Chairman Mao where he waves his hand.

If I won the lottery then I'd immediately blow some of it on an Omega Speedmaster or Tag Heuer Carrera.

iva.rpm
18th May 2012, 18:47
I would love to have a Omega Speedmaster or a Tag Heuer Carrera, too. A Rolex Daytona is also a very cool watch :) .

I'll buy a Orient Poseidon as soon as I can. I've heard that this watch is very rare outside Brazil. Luckily, I live in São Paulo, so I think it will not be hard to find one.

Believe me or not, black Casio F-91W's are very rare here in my country (the silver ones are pretty easy to find). It was very hard to find one for me. I guess Casio stopped selling it in Brazil some years ago.

iva.rpm
18th May 2012, 19:48
The watch I use for special occasions is my Citizen Eco-Drive. It has a big sentimental value.

donKey jote
18th May 2012, 21:22
I'm a Citizen Titanium donkey... got two of them, an older Chronograph and a more recent Saphire. I use whichever I find first when I get up, neither has a big sentimental value. :)

iva.rpm
18th May 2012, 21:53
Mine is a Super Titanium, too! It's a CA0210-51E. Beautiful watch! These watches are very expensive here in Brazil, they cost more than R$ 1000,00 (which means they cost more than US$ 500,00 in Brazil).

donKey jote
18th May 2012, 22:45
:up:
Mine are similar, black dial multi-functions (caliber 6870 and 0580 as far as I can make out). I'm buggered if I can find a meaningful model anywhere on the back though, or at least one that fits to the pics google produces for it :dozey:
They cost me around 200€-300€ I think...

iva.rpm
18th May 2012, 23:03
I paid something like US$ 40 in my cellphone, but my watch is worth more than US$ 750 here in Brazil. Other people would do the opposite. I guess I'm a very weird guy :D .

tfp
19th May 2012, 00:53
I like the watches you see on the advertising with the F1, exept the price, you could buy a cheap car for that money!!

Rollo
19th May 2012, 03:03
I have a 12-year old Seiko which is the forerunner to this: http://www.roachman.com/seiko/quartz/SJW041P.jpg
12 years and it still matches with the pips every time daylight saving/wasting time comes about.

I've not doubt that it wobbles throughout the day, but the heat cycles it gets put through are quite regular and by now the crystal must have aged which has increased accuracy and reliability.

Malbec
19th May 2012, 11:38
I have a 12-year old Seiko which is the forerunner to this: http://www.roachman.com/seiko/quartz/SJW041P.jpg
12 years and it still matches with the pips every time daylight saving/wasting time comes about.

I've not doubt that it wobbles throughout the day, but the heat cycles it gets put through are quite regular and by now the crystal must have aged which has increased accuracy and reliability.

I prefer automatics and I've got three Seiko ones which look a bit like the one in your pic. None of them cost more than £80 and they look smart enough and keep time precisely enough for me.

Would love an expensive watch but its a bit too difficult for me to justify shelling out too much money on something that doesn't do a better job than something much cheaper.

Malbec
19th May 2012, 13:48
I can certainly understand that but in my case a watch isn't just a practical item purely for telling the time, I like the style element of it too. Asda jeans cost £9 and do the same thing as my Levis 506's but one looks alot better than the other IMO. Seiko make nice watches however and I'm not denying they are very stylish in their own right. :)

The fact that I've lost a few watches in my time might have something to do with it too. Losing a £70 watch is bad enough, I don't want to know what its like to lose a £7000 one....

MrJan
19th May 2012, 19:50
Thats certainly a valid point. I've never lost a watch but damaged a few and thats bad enough. :(

Yeah I'm quite clumsy with my watches. My Tissot has a few scrapes on the casing, one of the Swatches has a broken 'buckle' (too tired, can't think of right word) and another is marked where I sprayed myself with mosquito repellant and the chemicals marked the plastic. I like those types of marks though, they all had to the character of the watch.

ioan
19th May 2012, 21:42
I might be the only one around here who doesn't have a wrist watch, and I didn't wear one for the last 10 year at least.

ioan
19th May 2012, 21:43
I've got a few, mostly cheapy things. I'm currently wearing a Roamer Incabloc, which used to belong to my grandfather, but my favourite is the Tissot PRC 200 that my dad got me for my 21st birthday.

Does that mean it was made in PRC?! ;)

iva.rpm
19th May 2012, 21:45
I remember when I got my first watch (it was a Casio W-800-HG). A week after I got it, I hit it on something and it got a big scratch. I was very upset about it. But it is still my everyday watch, and I don't care about the marks on it anymore.

race aficionado
19th May 2012, 23:35
I don't wear a wrist watch since the 90's. Now my iPhone reminds me of the time. I've had some fancy ones but my favorite was a Casio that had a calculator and a storage system to have addresses and phone numbers. It also had a cool and practical alarm.

Sent from my iPhone

Kneeslider
20th May 2012, 05:00
[attachment=1:2f2on98l]tag-heuer-monaco-watch.jpg[/attachment:2f2on98l]Like most on here, I have always admired nice watches, and when I was younger I used to spend quite a while on the look out for something unusual and a little different from what most were wearing. A long time ago, when most were wearing Swatches I had a white Avia Turbo, analogue, which just seemed a little more interesting.

I think that there is a definite correlation between liking cars, motorcycles, and anything to do with engineering and a fondness for things horological.

When I first started to make a bit of money I was on the look out for a Tag Heuer Monaco, the reissue, with a black face and 3 subdials, rather than the more classic McQueen blue face with two subdials. I remember seeing one in the window of a jewellers in London when they came out, and marvelling at such a beautiful thing, and also the price tag! Fortunately, after much Ebay trawling, one turned up for under half the retail price.

That was over 10 years ago now, and more recently I was after another watch. I always liked the look of the Breitling Navitimer series, and I decided that I wanted one with a blue strap and dial, but with arabic numerals. There are always a few on Ebay, mainly advertised by dealers for inflated prices, but I noticed one, which came up for £1500, and my wife bought it for me for my 40th birthday.

Roamy
20th May 2012, 05:17
i have a bunch of cheap sh!t i bought off peddlers But I have one 1982 Ferrari original from cartier - that I am going to frame and stick on the wall

Rudy Tamasz
21st May 2012, 10:37
I wear Sekonda. This brand is made in Belarus, cost me about $30, looks very simple, classic and perfectly suits both business suits and ripped jeans.

I toyed with the idea of buying Graf Zeppelin at about 300 Euro, buth then thought, what the heck, and went for a practical option.

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2012, 11:07
I don't use to wear wristwatches because I don't need them. I have only an Oxette Loisir and an Avon cheap but interesting model. When I wear them I use them as jewelry and most of the times the batteries are off.

In the past I had a bracelet with a special design. Most of the people thought it's a watch and asked me in the street "what time is it?" - and when I said I don't have a watch they looked suspiciously as they thought I fooled them.

BleAivano
21st May 2012, 16:47
I have a pulsar wrist watch. I got it as a high school graduation present in 1997. It still works flawless.

It costed about 1300Sek (143 Euro). I even haven't changed the battery for several years and its still right on time.

http://i.imgur.com/Hh1RK.jpg

anthonyvop
22nd May 2012, 03:17
I am a big watch fan.

My Favorite site index (http://www.racewatches.com/)
Admittedly with a financial interest but still a great place for really unique timepieces.

Waiting for this one to arrive. Mecchanice Veloce Brembo Carbon-Ceramic watch

http://www.racewatches.com/Carbon_ceramic_blue.jpg

22nd May 2012, 05:11
Un grande concessionario che ha avuto il suo inizio durante mentre in qualche epidemia di crack che si ottiene con l' più probabile era è stato davvero così buona a it stato recentemente era veramente conosciuto come "il fantasma" è stata essere altri oneri, la polizia e anche procuratori detto Giovedi . supra shoes roma (http://www.suprashoesinitalia.eu) Corley fornito cocaina a ti consente di il particolare quelli Bloods South Side, anche basso livello concessionari incassato circa 15.000 dollari un favoloso vicino avere le vendite di medicinali, ha detto Kelly. on perfetto fino , di almeno otto telefoni diversi, hanno detto le autoritÃ* scarpe supra (http://www.suprashoesinitalia.eu) Corley è venuto a che fare con all'interno del corso del la cuadro con anche è stato davvero un associato da Supreme Team, che che sempre modo qui avere Queens, il particolare ground zero appartenente al quando si tratta di supplementare York. Crimine sono stati è stato davvero rampante; operativo avere 1990, l' attualmente omicidi ha colpito uno di tutti i tempi alto in . Supra shoes,supra scarpe,supra milano,supra italia,supra footwear italia,supra scarpe itali (http://www.suprashoesinitalia.eu)

schmenke
22nd May 2012, 16:20
The only watch I own is a Seiko automatic somethingorother that I purchased in Hong Kong about 10 years ago. Never wear it. Never felt comfortable with a wristwatch, nor the need for one :mark: .
I can think of a lot of things I'd spend money on before a timepiece :mark:

25th May 2012, 07:43
Citizen Echo- Drive is known for its eye catching looks, Echo-drive is stylish, cool, and a perfect exclusive watch. In short its the most accurate watch in the world as said by citizen.

Adellyne
25th May 2012, 15:50
Meh, I have a few automatic Swatches, two timex plane leather band indiglo watches and another dark metallic metal watch I can't remember the make of. I have a breitling stopwatch if that counts, lol

Dave B
25th May 2012, 17:24
I might be the only one around here who doesn't have a wrist watch, and I didn't wear one for the last 10 year at least.
I'm the same. I generally know the time to within 5 or 10 minutes and I've always got my phone if I need to check. I don't find a watch particularly useful, and think that most of the medium to large designs are the height of tackiness.