PDA

View Full Version : Michael Andretti the new NASCAR Dodge Team???

Lee Roy
18th May 2012, 01:15
CUP: Sources - Michael Andretti Could Join Dodge Lineup (http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-sources-michael-andretti-could-join-dodge-lineup/)

Hopefully Fox Sports isn't the fantasy world that Fox News is.

Could there be another IndyCar organization testing the NASCAR waters?

Multiple sources have told FOXSports.com that that one of the latest candidates for Dodge Motorsports could be Michael Andretti, owner of Andretti Autosport.

With Roger Penske’s departure from Dodge at the end of the 2012 season, the door is opened for new organizations to enter the fold. In addition to Andretti, Richard Petty Motorsports and Furniture Row Racing are the top contenders to field Dodges in 2013. An announcement regarding Dodge’s lineup, as well as its engine building plans, could come as early as the weekend of the NASCAR races at Michigan, June 15-17.

Andretti currently fields three full-time teams in the IndyCar Series with drivers Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay and James Hinchcliffe. Ana Beatriz is running a limited schedule. Hinchcliffe and Hunter-Reay are currently third and fourth, respectively, in the IndyCar points standings.

Michael Andretti, the 1991 IndyCar champion, holds the record for most wins in CART with 42. As an owner under the Andretti Green banner – the precursor to Andretti Autosport – he won three IndyCar championships. Andretti teams have also won 39 races, including two Indianapolis 500s.

Andretti also operates an extensive farm system of open-wheel drivers in Firestone Indy Lights, the Star Mazda Championship Series and the USF2000 Championship Series. However, it is unlikely that Andretti would use open-wheel talent for a NASCAR venture. Two names mentioned as possibilities to drive for the team are Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch, both of whom have established relationships with Dodge.

Andretti Green expedited Honda’s entry into the Indy Racing League for the 2003 season. In September, Andretti announced the team was switching to Chevrolet. Ilmor Engineering, which currently builds engines for Andretti Autosport, has been mentioned as a possible supplier for the group in NASCAR, although its plate could be full with its current IndyCar responsibilities.

Sparky1329
19th May 2012, 05:14
Hmmmm. Interesting.

Roamy
20th May 2012, 05:29
Hope he sign Jacques Villeneuve - Jacques just signed with Penske to do the two nationwide road races

Lee Roy
20th May 2012, 17:55
Hope he sign Jacques Villeneuve - Jacques just signed with Penske to do the two nationwide road races

I hope not. JV is one of my two all time favorite drivers. He was great in Indy Cars and Formula One, but he's an accident on it's way to happen in a stock car.

00steven
25th May 2012, 22:57
Not going to happen.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd June 2012, 06:02
Lee Roy, I don't think JV is coming to NASCAR on a full time basis either, but I do think he would figure it out....Iam not sure when he was running trucks that he ever really had a truck that was very good. Could be wrong..he could be a waste of time, but on the road courses he can tear it up.

That said, if Andretti came to Cup, they would need a few guys with some pedigree. Kurt Busch will be out there, and if you can put up with his stupidity, and the sponsors can, then he is at least capable of winning a race. Not sure who else would be out there and willing.....but I am sure if Andretti came to NASCAR, with Dodge backing, there would be some decent drivers coming out of the woodwork.