PDA

View Full Version : National publicity on Homestead

indycool
28th March 2007, 15:47
Looks like the IRL made a pretty big splash for its opener.

You hafta be a subscriber to read the whole thing on these two, but the Wall Street Journal had this story:

http://online.wsj.com/google_login.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com% 2Farticle%2FSB117468302414847202.html%3Fmod%3Dgoog lenews_wsj

The New York Times had this one:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70613FC3D540C7B8DDDAA0894DF4044 82

Plus ABC World News Sunday had a report on the ICS and Ethanol. Firestone had a double-page ad in the March 26 issue of Sports Illustrated featuring 18 drivers in uniform with sponsor logos and also pages 2-3 of National Speed Sport News (perhaps among others).

Plus Mario Dominguez and Nelson Phillippe attending the Homestead ICS drivers' meeting (for whatever speculative reason) and now we hear Andrew Ranger is signed with a CASCAR team.

Things are a little different this year.

ChicagocrewIRL
28th March 2007, 18:39
THANKS IndyCool

I wish every IRL fan were as passionate about the series as you. If they were, the IRL would be kicking NAPCARs butt.

grungex
28th March 2007, 20:52
now we hear Andrew Ranger is signed with a CASCAR team.

What does this have to do with the IRL or Homestead? :confused:

indycool
28th March 2007, 21:14
I guess it means that Ranger, unlike Phillippe and Dominguez, is not showing up at IRL races kicking tires and/or possibly looking for a deal to run.

grungex
28th March 2007, 21:26
Neither am I. So what?

Sandfly
28th March 2007, 23:00
Ethanol is a sham - just like the IRL. Does get the granola head medias attention though.

Bob Riebe
28th March 2007, 23:23
Ethanol is a sham - just like the IRL. Does get the granola head medias attention though.

I generally do not agree with Sandfly on anything, but this time he is closer to the truth, than not.

Indy is coming and the bio fuel, girl drivers, BS will get attention, by the automotively asininely ignorant press, but once Indy is gone, so will all the press.

Things are different this year, but different does not mean better.

Bob

indycool
28th March 2007, 23:31
Very well, Grungex. Thank you for the additional information.

grungex
29th March 2007, 05:56
Make sure you report it back to Anton.

indycool
29th March 2007, 06:41
Sorry, don't even have his number.

Hayden Fan
29th March 2007, 22:43
Made a big splash in the media, but with only 715 paid tickets, it didn't buy any fans.

call_me_andrew
30th March 2007, 00:06

I'm sorry that your stock in ExxonMobil is down.

Jag_Warrior
31st March 2007, 20:49
THANKS IndyCool

I wish every IRL fan were as passionate about the series as you. If they were, the IRL would be kicking NAPCARs butt.

I saw several of those reports and the first thing I thought was, the switch to ethanol has paid good dividends right out of the gate.

As for the passion of IRL fans, many seem to be pretty passionate. But other than European soccer fans and maybe some American baseball and football fans (Yankees, Red Sox, Redskins, Cowboys, etc.) nothing compares to the passion of NASCAR fans. When you hear that a guy shoots his best friend over a race result, another dots his wife's eyes because she rooted for the "wrong driver" or a widow has the number 3 painted on the side of her dead husband's casket, these are fans who are on a different level. :eek:

There's a reason AT&T is suing to get in/stay in NASCAR.

Jag_Warrior
31st March 2007, 20:53
I generally do not agree with Sandfly on anything, but this time he is closer to the truth, than not.

Indy is coming and the bio fuel, girl drivers, BS will get attention, by the automotively asininely ignorant press, but once Indy is gone, so will all the press.

Things are different this year, but different does not mean better.

Bob

No argument from me on the long term future of ethanol (or Danica, for that matter). But as a wise man once said: no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.