PDA

View Full Version : Bottas to replace Senna

George6890
13th May 2012, 16:33
Hello, everyone,

Nice to see we all think it's great to see Williams back on top with Maldonado!!

Anyway, I've been trawling the internet for press releases (namely for Massa's excuses) and came across this F1: Salo believes Bottas to replace Senna soon | News | Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/salo-believes-bottas-to-replace-senna-soon/?v=2&s=1)

What do we all think?

I like Bruno and think with the exception of receiving the thrashing of his life this weekend, he's been doing a good job for Williams. His drive in Malaysia was exceptional in wet conditions and he's been racing pretty well generally. I think, it's just his qualifying that lets him down. Other than that, he's a good peddler and an exceptionally nice young man to deal with. Surely he doesn't deserve to be replaced so early on, right?

jens
13th May 2012, 18:06
The difference is that Senna has some money behind him, while Bottas doesn't. I think it depends on how highly does Williams rate Bottas. Senna has had a couple of good races so far this season, but I don't think he has the consistency. If Williams believes Bottas can be a genuine top driver, then perhaps they would make the change for 2013. During 2012? Hard to tell, for that Senna would really have to underperform on a consistent basis like his fellow countryman Massa does.

christophulus
13th May 2012, 18:08
I think the money is the key, Senna brings backing from Embratel and whoever. I think Bottas will be in for 2013 though.

Stuartf12007
13th May 2012, 21:06
not gonna happen, Give Senna a chance please.

Nikki Katz
13th May 2012, 21:09
That's rubbish, he's not going anywhere, he's only had five races and outperformed Maldonado in some of those. One bad race doesn't lead to someone getting sacked. Plus his name's Senna.

steveaki13
13th May 2012, 21:31
Senna could win round the streets in a couple of weeks. Then what....haha

He has a big future though.

CNR
13th May 2012, 22:30
should we believe anything from motorsport<.>com ?
just ask mark

Marbles
13th May 2012, 22:51
Well, Maldonado hasn't exactly set the world on fire up until now and I'm sure he's going to leave that Australia race off his resume. In my own mind, I can't say I have a good measure of either driver yet.

ShiftingGears
13th May 2012, 23:51
I think he's being fanciful, to be honest.

Hawkmoon
14th May 2012, 04:37
Maldonado vs Senna - 2012

Australia
Maldonado - Q: 8, R: DNF
Senna - Q: 14, R: DNF

Malaysia
Maldonado - Q: 11, R: DNF
Senna - Q: 13, R: 6

China
Maldonado - Q: 13, R: 8
Senna - Q: 14, R: 7

Bahrain
Maldonado - Q: 21, R: DNF
Senna - Q: 15, R: DNF

Spain
Maldonado - Q: 1, R: 1
Senna - Q: 17, R: DNF

Maldonado has had Senna's measure in qualifying but the races have been fairly even until Spain. I'm no fan of Senna as I think his name is writing checks his talent can't cash but replacing him now doesn't make much sense.

senna 88
14th May 2012, 09:21
Hello my name is Guy, I've just joined this forum after reading this thread.
I don't see why Frank would want to be rid of Bruno Senna so early on in the season just because of one bad collision that was not his fault, it was caused by an OAP on the track. As people have said previously other than this weekend Bruno has been good with Williams so far. I mean, they aren't talking about replacing Maldonado seeing as compared to Senna so far he's actually done worse, bar this weekend.
What Bruno Senna needs is Bottas not looming over his shoulder like a vulture (maybe the Friday morning P1 should alternate between Senna and Maldonado, one weekend Bottas uses Malonados P1, then the next weekend Senna and so on...?) Senna needs a secure seat so he's not under so much pressure to perform.
I don't believe that Frank would want to lose out on the money Senna brings with him via Embratel (especially after AT&T pulled out last year).
I think it's too early to tell about 2013.

Guy.

longisland
15th May 2012, 11:18
I don't know much about Bottas; he seems quick from the news I've read. Anyway, it's Bruno's first season in a new team so lets give him the benefit of doubt unless he really cock up big time in the next few races. People seems to have very short memory, last season Maldonado was lebelled by many as a pay driver with no real talent and was heavily critisized for throwing away the race in Australia. Having won the Spanish GP, he was now being compared to Montoya, arguably one of the quickest and the most talented drivers in the 90s. Same happened to Rosberg, many questioned whether if he really have what it takes to be successful in F1 after failing to secure a win over hundred races. Jenson, like Mansell, was a prernnial under achiever before winning a WDC.

DexDexter
15th May 2012, 13:20
I like Bruno but IMO Williams have had a great car for the whole season, it's just that the drivers haven't performed before last Sunday. IF Kimi had chosen Williams, they would have got more than one podium by now so in that sense I'd understand if Williams replaced Senna with another driver.

SGWilko
15th May 2012, 13:52
IMO Williams have had a great car for the whole season.

Personally, I think it is development and understanding the whole car/tyre/exhaust/track interface that has seen the Williams rise to this level.

With KERS and the way it is hervested, if you have an exhaust layout that blows across the diffuser bu using the airflow from the sidepods to 'wash' it downwards, as soon as you come off throttle, you lose a chunk of aero and risk locking the axle on braking.

The whole package has to be there for it all to come together on race day.

F1boat
15th May 2012, 18:45
I hope that Bruno stays and I agree that he needs more time with the car. It is ridiculous to compromise his every race for Bottas. It would have been better if Bottas spent some time in GP2.

DexDexter
15th May 2012, 20:15
I hope that Bruno stays and I agree that he needs more time with the car. It is ridiculous to compromise his every race for Bottas. It would have been better if Bottas spent some time in GP2.

Better for whom? For Senna yes, but for Valtteri learning F1 circuits is much more valuable than racing against the current fat-wallet Gp2 field.