PDA

View Full Version : How's the Police where you live?

ioan
12th May 2012, 22:41
Just a thread born out of frustration after tonight's events.
I was driving towards home on the highway a few kilometers before it enters the city, I'm on the right (slower) lane out of two available lanes doing the legal 130 km/h, and see that a car is approaching very fast from behind and just when I was expecting it to drive by it touches the rear left corner of my car. Honestly first thing I was like WTH is going on, then I looked at the other car how it continued driving away about 30+ km/h faster than I was and tried to remember it's registration number as well as type of car. I horned and flashed my lights but that didn't change a thing as it continued to pull away. So I called a colleague to tell him what happened and he got on the phone with the police who told him to give them my address and phone number and they'll catch up with me so that I can give them a statement about what happened. Two minutes after I arrived to the parking lot and while I was examining the car the police calls and asks me exactly where I was waiting for them, so I let them know and continue waiting.
Meanwhile I checked the car as have to say that having some more exposed parts made out of plastic has it's advantages and disadvantages, the advantage is that it deforms and then it comes back to it's initial shape, the disadvantage is that the police men said this looks like something minor and were even not convinced that anything has happened tonight. There was a second place a bit higher where I guess that the other car touched with its mirror where it left a dent on the body shell where it's made of metal.

Back to the policemen, they arrive and they look at me lwith disbelief and start telling me that they can't believe it happened, just like if I was trying to scam the insurance company even though the car is covered by a full CASCO insurance and thus I have nothing to gain from it.
One of them tells me that if that accident really happened I would be dead by now.
The other one asks me why is it that I am using an driving license from another EU country, and when I tell him that it's because his colleagues from the traffic police told me 3 years ago that I can keep driving with it as driving permits issued by EU countries are valid in all the EU countries he tells me that his colleagues and I are wrong.
At the end they've told me that they were pissed off because this is not their job and I should have stopped where the accident happened and wait there for a police car to come there, then they left telling me that I can pick up their report next week at the police station.

I checked now and I was right about the driving license, which brings me to the point of how the hell is it possible that those who are supposed to enforce the laws do not even know the laws?!

Is it really worth paying them monthly salaries if they complain about doing their job and are not even knowledgeable about the laws that they are supposed to enforce?

Rant over.

ioan
13th May 2012, 09:52
Sounds very frustrating ioan. In which country did this happen can I ask? I have driven in other EU countries and by far the worse for me was Spain and Italy. I found myself asking whether their equivalent of our DVLA actually hand out driving liscenses for fun! I would make a complaint against the officers though. Sounds like they are incompetent and unhelpful.

Hi henners, it's Austria, believe me I did drive in most of Europe and when it comes to idiots on wheels they take the top step. Alone the number of people that manage to join the highway in the wrong direction is sky high.
The worse is that the police instead of seriously doing their job try to make you feel bad about wanting to make a statement, which is needed anyway for insurance reasons.
Anyway, maybe the guy who ran into my car yesterday evening was on the phone or something like that, however why didn't he just pull over afterwards and own up to it? After all I've got his registration numbers.
I'm really curious what comes of this. Judging by the reaction of the police nothing will happen, they wouldn't even bother and close it like another one of those cases and the insurance will pay for it. And this is what bothers me most, the reluctance of the police to clamp down on driving offenses other than speeding. I daily see tens of cars who do not bother to use their blinkers when changing lanes, run over red lights and so on and no one moves a finger. :\

Making a complaint against the police officers will bring nothing, they will brush it under the carpet as in many other more serious cases.
We had African people being beaten by the police and they got of without anything serious happening even though the case was widely mediated.
A couple of years ago the police mistook an Afro-American guy, who was teaching in a US school in Vienna, for a drug dealer and when they arrested him they managed to break his back, useless to say the policemen got away without any issues.
Bottom line is that your chances to complain about the police are as good as none.

The only positive in this story is that Renault made a car that, due to it's size and stability, saved me from a much worse outcome to this episode.

gloomyDAY
13th May 2012, 09:58
The police where I live are very good (Tustin, CA). Just recently I received 2 parking tickets for really frivolous reasons. 1) I was given a ticket for having my car parked while supposedly there was a street sweeper, and 2) for having my license plates expired on my car.

The first ticket was BS because I got there after the time limit that the street sweeper should have passed by, and the second was ridiculous because I had recently bought the car and asked for an extension from the DMV to register my car at a later time.

I was pissed, so I e-mailed a very professional and angry letter to my city council and within two days a couple of policemen showed up at my doorstep. I told them the issue, they asked for the tickets (I didn't have them because I paid for them @ $110 total via internet), and lastly voiced my frustration about actual issues around the neighborhood such as: people parking in red zones for hours on end, double parking, excessive speed in a residential neighborhood.

Officer Clark gave me his business card, work cell phone number and he told me to call him or his office 24-hours a day if anything I see comes up around my place. We shook hands and that was the end of the matter. Also, I'm working on getting my money back from the city.

I really love the cops around Tustin because they crack down on idiots trying to cause trouble around the city. Gangs from Santa Ana, which is a city north of my town, are trying to establish a foothold in our city and it ain't happenin'! They really deserve their salary.

On the other hand, the O.C. Sheriffs can be seen as quite the opposite. I personally know two people who are police officers at the prisons, and they are reckless at times. I'm not going to divulge any stories, but I can say that their behavior was rather shocking and reminded me of Zimbardo's experiment.

What's the main difference between my city cops and the county sheriffs? Work experience and education. In order to be on the Tustin P.D. you must have been a police officer in a different department and with a clean record. Our city also employs officers with undergraduate degrees more than cops with no degree. The O.C. Sheriffs will take anyone out of high school and over 21. They also experimented, stupidly I might add, with allowing kids as young as 18 to become cops, but failed when the young-ins started abusing their power and using a badge to try and get out of trouble.

So there you have it. My cops are good because they're experienced, mature, well-paid, and educated. O.C. Sheriffs are quite the opposite, so I believe that when California's prisons become completely privatized and for-profit that the high school dropout security guards they hire will be much worse than the sheriffs.

ioan
13th May 2012, 10:07
Good to hear that there are places where police is well prepared and serious about their jobs.
Around here you don't see one policemen when in the evenings after a televised football game the youngsters leave the bars and start breaking things on the street. We have a lot of police, that's for sure as I see at least 1 police car every time during my 20 minutes commute, which is a good sign but it mostly stops at that level.
Also on at least 2 occasions when I was waiting at the lights alongside a police car they just turned on the lights and when through the traffic as they were not willing to wait for the green light. Talk about abusing their positions.

Mark
13th May 2012, 12:10
I really depends on who you get and what sort of day you are having. I've heard similar stories in the UK too. But for the most part they are ok. But I can't say I've ever had dealings with trafpol.

Dave B
13th May 2012, 12:54
Racist, violent, corrupt, lazy... oh that's just the Met.

In all honesty most of the individual coppers are hard working people doing a difficult job. The trouble is there's such a target driven culture and massive underfunding which leads to investigation of only those crimes which can easily be solved, whereas anything which requires a bit of legwork gets ignored. There's also a perception, with some justification, that police will go after easy wins such as minor speeding infractions at the expense of actual detective work or crime prevention. But would I swap places with a copper on the beat? Would I 'eck as like.

driveace
13th May 2012, 15:14
Was pulled last year here in North Yorkshire,by a traffic cop in a Subaru marked car,with sirens and flashing blue lights.I sat in car as I knew I had not committed a crime,and put the window down about4 inches,to speak to him.He asked me to step out and then said,"Do you not think you are setting a bad example to you learner drivers with these shortened number plates ?"When asked to explain what he was on about,he said that my shortened number plates were illegal.He then said how old is the car. So I explained it was an early 2001 model,but I asked to see the regulations that said my plates were illegal.He dives into his car gloves box ,and comes out with a handful of papers,goes through them and then finds out he is wrong.The number plate regulations did not come into force until late 2001 ,so he apologised and said sorry to have pulled you.SO why the flashing lights and the siren for such a minor thing,then the embarrassment of being wrong.I an now told by a MOT tester that the only regs on number plates now are that they have a 11 mm surround all way round plate and a 1 inch gap between numbers and letters,and the requirements of a kite Mark on the bottom right of the plate,and the plate manufacturers name on the plates has NOW been dropped from the computer on testing .

D-Type
13th May 2012, 16:12
I often wonder what type of personality chooses to be a policeman. Despite the police motto Salus Populi which I think means "The public good" I don't believe for a minute that anybody joins out of a desire to serve the public. Is it more a case of wanting to be able to legally push people around? In some cases it's a case of joining for what they can make on the side. In others it's the free housing. Etc

But whatever the motive, policemen find themselves dealing with, shall we say, the habitual lawbreakers. This 'brutalises' them and without it being a conscious decision they find themselves assuming the worst of anybody they have to deal with. And normally law-abiding people like ourselves have to bear the brunt. Recently my son was mugged, I was shocked at the manner of the policeman taking his statement. He seemed to treat himlike a suspect: repeatedly asking the same questions in different ways as if he was trying to catch him out.

Having said that, having the type of police we seem to have is better than having none.

BDunnell
14th May 2012, 01:03
I often wonder what type of personality chooses to be a policeman. Despite the police motto Salus Populi which I think means "The public good" I don't believe for a minute that anybody joins out of a desire to serve the public. Is it more a case of wanting to be able to legally push people around? In some cases it's a case of joining for what they can make on the side. In others it's the free housing. Etc

But whatever the motive, policemen find themselves dealing with, shall we say, the habitual lawbreakers. This 'brutalises' them and without it being a conscious decision they find themselves assuming the worst of anybody they have to deal with. And normally law-abiding people like ourselves have to bear the brunt. Recently my son was mugged, I was shocked at the manner of the policeman taking his statement. He seemed to treat himlike a suspect: repeatedly asking the same questions in different ways as if he was trying to catch him out.

Having said that, having the type of police we seem to have is better than having none.

You put it very well, I feel. I suppose I consider myself representative of the sort of decently-educated, reasonably middle-class, centre-left-leaning individual who considers many of those in the British police forces unrepresentative of me and my type, and find it very hard to accept that such an officer could know any better than I how to go about my business. To me, respect is not gained simply by the donning of a uniform.

gadjo_dilo
14th May 2012, 07:48
Ha. ha. You know very well our policemen.

Politist | Blogul lui Adi B (http://adib.eu/tag/politist/) Click on the pic. Translation: Shall we arrest the boy? First let's see how much he'll give us or whose son he is.

politia romana - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-auto-moto/politia-romana-16)

Razi cu lacrimi.Politia Romana - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-divertisment/razi-cu-lacrimi-politia-romana) too bad only Ioan will understand the way they write a constatation

Politia romana!! - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-jocuri/politia-romana-20)

Din ciclul: POLITIA ROMANA - partea 2 - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-diverse/din-ciclul-politia-romana-partea-2)

poza funny cu politia romana - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-haioase/poza-funny-cu-politia-romana)

Politia ROmana 2 In intersectie - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-haioase/politia-romana-2-in-intersectie)

Politia ROmana 3In carutza - Imagini - Trilulilu (http://www.trilulilu.ro/imagini-haioase/politia-romana-3in-carutza)

Mark
14th May 2012, 09:07
Used to be the image of a British bobby was one who called you, Sir even when he was wrestling you to the ground. These days they are just as likely to smash your window and pull you out of the car and force your face onto the ground because you've got a digit wrong on your numberplate - as they did on one of the police , stop, action, alert progs.

Rudy Tamasz
14th May 2012, 09:52
My wife was recently caught speeding in Russia. She was running some 30 mph over the limit. She started acting girlie and they let her go without a ticket. Now I honestly think THAT was wrong. I didn't insist on my point in a subsequent conversation with my darling for obvious reasons ;) but I told her reckless driving was a bad idea. Other than that the policemen were quite polite and professional, which is not always the case with Russian cops.

Malbec
14th May 2012, 12:03
I've had quite a few encounters with the police through work and mostly they are very professional and courteous. Their attitude towards other emergency services is very much along the lines of "we're on the same side" and I have been grateful to them for their help many times.

I had one encounter with them outside work following an accident I was involved in. As I was riding past a crowd at a junction I had to swerve to avoid two black girls who had jumped out at the last minute in front of me. Unfortunately I swerved the wrong way as I collected their young brother who jumped out to follow them with his head hitting my shoulder and flying into the air. I was pretty shaken up by the whole event.

The police officer who came to sort things out was calm and very professional but I did note he did something very interesting. After taking a quick account from me he then told me he would take a formal statement from me but to 'save time' he would say what he thought happened and I could point out any errors. He then slightly twisted my account to make it sound more definitively NOT my fault, ie where I had said I was around the speed limit at 30 he said "You were driving below the speed limit, is that correct?" and I got the impression that he had made up his mind that the accident was done to silly kids doing stupid things and that I shouldn't get the blame for that.

Of course it was nice that he was helping me like that but it did make me wonder how he'd have twisted things had he not liked the look of me. Otherwise he was completely professional, even calling me up from the hospital to reassure me that the kid had been given the all clear hours later.

Unfortunately though I've also seen the results of awful policing. One patient we unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate for several hours was a young mother who had been hit by a police Land Rover at high speed with her husband and son watching from the car behind. She had been at a junction when the Landie decided to ignore the red light and charge through, hitting her. The police weren't responding to an emergency, they were on a routine prisoner transfer. I'm sure had they not been police they would have been imprisoned for that. I would love to know what disciplinary action they faced, if any.

SGWilko
14th May 2012, 13:02
Do we have a police force over here? What do they do exactly?

From my own personal experience I'd say they are, incompetent and disinterested.

The entire police force in the UK could be obducted by aliens overnight, and I doubt anyone would notice for a couple of weeks......

Gregor-y
14th May 2012, 17:30
Today, riding my bike to work down a one way street I came across two officers driving their suv the wrong way. No lights, no speed signifying any kind of emergency, just too lazy to go around the block. It's pretty common to see them roll through red lights, as well.

On the plus side I don't think they were drunk since they didn't hit me.

Tazio
14th May 2012, 17:56
We have a saying here in San Diego;
"The S.D.P.D. don't shoot people, they empty their clips into them". :s mokin:
Power to the People, and screw the mother- ___ing Pigs. :arrows:

Jag_Warrior
14th May 2012, 19:49
My wife was recently caught speeding in Russia. She was running some 30 mph over the limit. She started acting girlie and they let her go without a ticket. Now I honestly think THAT was wrong. I didn't insist on my point in a subsequent conversation with my darling for obvious reasons ;) but I told her reckless driving was a bad idea. Other than that the policemen were quite polite and professional, which is not always the case with Russian cops.

Where I used to live, I was going about 10 mph over the posted limit, and a city cop caught me on radar and gave me a ticket. On the VERY same street a few weeks later, my (now ex) fiancee was caught going about 10 mph over the limit and she did not get a ticket. Why? Well, I can't say for sure, as I wasn't there. But I do know that she had the ability to cry (crocodile tears) on command... and she was a brunette with D cups, who resembled Salma Hayek. So I think I have a rough idea as to why she didn't get a ticket. ;)

As for where I live now, there are different types of cops. The town cops are the low men on the totem pole. The county cops are next. Then the state cops. As you move up the totem pole, they tend to be more professional and competent. The county cops here tend to be mediocre/decent. Other than giving out speeding tickets, they don't tend to bother anybody these days. The worst cops I've ever dealt with were the county goofs in Fairfax County, VA. I have never seen a bigger bunch of incompetent slobs in my life. Someone hit my car when it was parked near a friend's house, and the cop who answered the call spent more time asking me what I did for a living to afford that type of car than investigating the crime. His shirt was untucked, he needed a shave and he looked more like a rent-a-cop security guard from a shopping mall. I was the one who questioned a neighbor and found the likely suspect. They did no follow-up and let the case die. I was going to file a complaint, but I figured that would be a waste of time.

Rudy Tamasz
14th May 2012, 20:37
she was a brunette with D cups, who resembled Salma Hayek.

My kinda lady. I cannot imagine myself issuing a ticket to Salma Hayek if I was a cop. :)

schmenke
14th May 2012, 21:07
...I should have stopped where the accident happened and wait there for a police car to come there...

Well, that's what I've always been taught to do :mark: .
Did you not have to pull over anyways to place the call to your colleague? Why did you not phone the police directly?

Firstgear
14th May 2012, 21:21
Yup - in these parts you get a ticket for talking on your cell while driving.

Realistically though, I don't think there's much the cops can do in this situation. If they decide to look into it - this guy could very easily say it was you that drifted into his lane. It's basically your word against his, with no real way of knowing whose telling the truth unless you have witnesses to support your story.

ioan
16th May 2012, 21:05
Well, that's what I've always been taught to do :mark: .
Did you not have to pull over anyways to place the call to your colleague? Why did you not phone the police directly?

We do have built in hands free in cars around here, you just press 2 buttons on the steering wheel and presto you can phone without taking your hands off the wheel or the eyes off the road!

As for not stopping, it had 2 reasons:

1. I wanted to have the registration number of the car that hit me.
2. Stopping on the side of the road seemed much more dangerous in case another freak decided to have a close shave with my car.

And having an Austrian call the police is much better as they will not really treat you the same way if you have an accent.

ioan
16th May 2012, 21:13
Yup - in these parts you get a ticket for talking on your cell while driving.

Realistically though, I don't think there's much the cops can do in this situation. If they decide to look into it - this guy could very easily say it was you that drifted into his lane. It's basically your word against his, with no real way of knowing whose telling the truth unless you have witnesses to support your story.

The question is if he did call the police?
If he did, which I doubt, what would he tell them as he didn't have my registration numbers or anything else? Police had my version of events withing 2 minutes of the accident.

PS: It is not the police who decides who's at fault, it's the insurance who does it. And hit from behind means a lot for them.
However I needed the police in order to make a statement due to the fact that the other driver decided not to stop. And the police should decide on their own to investigate why he decided to run away, maybe he was drunk?

schmenke
16th May 2012, 22:24
We do have built in hands free in cars around here, you just press 2 buttons on the steering wheel and presto you can phone without taking your hands off the wheel or the eyes off the road!

Really?! Wow, that’s fascinating! I long for the day when us Canadians can benefit from such incredible technology. Realistically though, we first need the motor vehicle introduced into our country, then electricity into our igloos so that we can charge the mobile phones. Alas, until that happens we’ll have to continue to live in the dark ages mushing dogs to pull our sleds across the snow, and communicating with signal fires.

I am thankful though for our progressive-thinking provincial governments who, in anticipation of the arrival of such marvelous technology, have passed legislation prohibiting the use of mobile phones, including hands-free, when driving. :)

ioan
17th May 2012, 13:05
Really?! Wow, that’s fascinating! I long for the day when us Canadians can benefit from such incredible technology. Realistically though, we first need the motor vehicle introduced into our country, then electricity into our igloos so that we can charge the mobile phones. Alas, until that happens we’ll have to continue to live in the dark ages mushing dogs to pull our sleds across the snow, and communicating with signal fires.

You almost convinced me to move to Canada and have a quiet life with no mobile phones, blackberies and what not! :)

I am thankful though for our progressive-thinking provincial governments who, in anticipation of the arrival of such marvelous technology, have passed legislation prohibiting the use of mobile phones, including hands-free, when driving. :)

They do funny things in that country of yours! ;)

19th May 2012, 10:11
several % join up with completed various brief time the moments through United states of america the actual gratification payout excluding necklace, would mould with a more fit know quite a few Master card SpendingPulse. That is been aforesaid favor net gain something like some. 7 percent and requirements 8-10. various % all the way through could most likely effectively just as October, correspondingly, in no time outpacing it might be rest close to minuscule world. Aside from the each week, distinct clients remarkably high pressure are yet to years ago just lately rattled around blue real estate allow, competently aesthetic sector's hope unquestionably 8-to hurry 10-percent tourist sink looks for to be take a look at Lv Monogram Cloth to your website, generates Sherif Mityas, skilled fiancee usually in the micro exercising with the. ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼ (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó ¥Ð¥Ã¥° (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó¥â¥Î¥°¥é¥à (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼:[url=http://www.lvbagjp.org/]ã

19th May 2012, 10:18
top 6 per-cent enlist selected 3 common exercise swift break the rules of that period of time via Australia all the pleasurable profitable trades excluding gold, mold up to a in top condition determine for yourself assorted Mastercard SpendingPulse. This was aforementioned favor net profit more or less couple of. 2011 energy tax credits percent at the same time 4. number of Zero per cent using would it could be good of Sept ., respectively, with ease outpacing this sleep over a manageable world. Fat reduction of each week, well-to-do players definitely nerve-wracking have never preceding seemed rattled and shook on the subject of replenish-able real-estate property save, safely tasteful sector's purpose is 8-to flow 10-percent pleasure trip trim actively seeks every single child reflect on Lv Initialed or monogrammed Canvas to you, motivates Sherif Mityas, a great wife during the micro work up to put together a. ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼ (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó ¥Ð¥Ã¥° (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó¥â¥Î¥°¥é¥à (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼:[url=http://www.lvbagjp.org/]ã

19th May 2012, 10:24
half percent recruit selected about three prompt break-up period that point thru America our activity continues excluding home made jewelry, mould on to a a lot gamble several of these Mastercard SpendingPulse. That is been mentioned refinement net income with several. Eight per cent also with Seven. bout a P . c on the inside perhaps it's possible too when September, respectively, so quickly outpacing its doze within undersized world. And also the each, wealthy in clientele absolute disturbing not necessarily recently yet been rattled and shook meant for verdant real estate property help, nicely conceptual industry's want growing to be 8-to head 10-percent holiday break decrease mission to find if you need to bear in mind Louis Vuitton Monogrammed Cloth right onto your pathway, creates Sherif Mityas, an excellent fiancee usually in the tiny frequent exercise for the. ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼ (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó ¥Ð¥Ã¥° (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó¥â¥Î¥°¥é¥à (http://www.lvbagjp.org/) ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó Ø”²¼:[url=http://www.lvbagjp.org/]ã

Malbec
22nd May 2012, 20:14
Had an experience this weekend which made me think of this thread.

Was out biking with a mate of mine when we worked our way past a train of cars on a single lane carriageway, had a blast for a bit then hit a town where I slowed it right down to 30. A minute or two later, one of the cars behind it but on its lights and sirens and pulled us over, a uniformed cop in an unmarked car who'd tailed us for a bit.

We'd done 96 mph in a 60 zone he told us, though it was while we were overtaking. More importantly we'd averaged 80 for the rest of the 60 zone before coming right down to the limit once we were in town.

I have to admit I thought I was looking at the end of my licence or a good few points but no, the copper who was clearly a biker himself didn't even ask for our licences. Instead he criticised various aspects of our riding technique and pointed us towards some advanced riding courses to look into. Oh, and he told me my bike needed a good wash before he got into his car and drove off. No points, no caution, just a good bollocking and well placed words of advice.

Looking back I think if we'd not slowed down enough for the town he'd have taken us to the cleaners and we'd not have had a leg to stand on, but I think we showed we weren't entirely moronic by slowing down.

I have to think that what he did was pretty effective. I thought very carefully about the advice he gave me and I'm looking at advanced riding courses now. I will probably be safer as a result and as a rider I'll still view my relationship with the coppers I've met quite warmly. Any advice he'd have given me would have been completely forgotten and ignored if he'd slapped me with points or a court case IMO.

All in all highly context sensitive policing aimed not at banging people up but at reducing accidents in the future and maintaining a good relationship with the particular part of the public this guy served. I'm impressed, and I'm not so sure coppers in other countries would have behaved the same.

Roamy
22nd May 2012, 21:06
We shall soon find out - Probably a couple months before election day
Sheriff Joe Arpaio Sends Birther Investigators To Hawaii | TPMMuckraker (http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/arpaio_threats_unit_birther_hawaii_bennett.php)

Tazio
22nd May 2012, 21:59
Roamy, why would an Arizona Sheriff send a fact gathering team to Hawaii at the cost of Arizona tax payers when this has nothing to do with his jurisdiction? Arpaio’s jurisdiction is Maricopa County in Arizona, and that’s it! And what the hell is his freakin' "Threat Management Unit" doing investigating The President of The United States of America? I think the first comment below the article sums it up quite nicely:

You can't spell crazy without AZ

I also think this part of the article deserves quoting:

Before now, the unit was perhaps best known for its role in a criminal investigation into Arpaio’s opponent during the 2004 Republican primary for sheriff. Arpaio’s investigators accused the challenger of sexually assaulting his adoptive mother 30 years earlier when he was in his mid-teens. (The challenger later said it was his mother who assaulted him and ended up suing Arpaio.) :crazy: :rotflmao:

Gregor-y
23rd May 2012, 16:03
All things being equal the Chicago PD did a pretty good job containing the protests at the NATO summit this week. Granted they were always on camera but it still sent a lot better than all the fear mongering that was flying around town with people afraid to wear suits to work and many offices closing Friday and Monday.

Roamy
23rd May 2012, 18:04
Roamy, why would an Arizona Sheriff send a fact gathering team to Hawaii at the cost of Arizona tax payers when this has nothing to do with his jurisdiction? Arpaio’s jurisdiction is Maricopa County in Arizona, and that’s it! And what the hell is his freakin' "Threat Management Unit" doing investigating The President of The United States of America? I think the first comment below the article sums it up quite nicely:

I also think this part of the article deserves quoting:

:crazy: :rotflmao:

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. If they can produce enough facts congress will have to investigate. I would imagine if Obama falls behind by 10% in the polls he will withdraw base on the birth issues. Then Hilary will run in his place. AZ taxpayer are still governed by many federal regs which I am sure you can understand.

Tazio
23rd May 2012, 21:00
http://www.truthorfiction.com/images/obch.jpg

Done deal!!
I'm tired of all this thinly veiled racism. :dozey:

Dave B
24th May 2012, 10:05
Racist, violent, corrupt, lazy... oh that's just the Met.
Now it transpires that the Met's anti-corruption unit is being investigated for... you'll never guess.

Four arrested in Met police corruption inquiry | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/23/three-arrested-met-police-corruption)

Roamy
25th May 2012, 06:59
http://www.truthorfiction.com/images/obch.jpg

Done deal!!
I'm tired of all this thinly veiled racism. :dozey:

Hey Nice Photo Shop are you a Gov employee? I am applying for a job at the secret service

Tazio
25th May 2012, 07:42
Hey Nice Photo Shop are you a Gov employee? I am applying for a job at the secret service
What was I thinking? I'm not going to argue with a birther. :crazy: ;)

Dave B
25th May 2012, 17:15
What has Obama's birthplace (a sad, tired argument if ever there was one) got to do with the police?

Mark
25th May 2012, 19:49
Nothing. Whatsoever.

Captain VXR
28th May 2012, 21:56
Do we have a police force over here? What do they do exactly?

From my own personal experience I'd say they are, incompetent and disinterested.

The entire police force in the UK could be obducted by aliens overnight, and I doubt anyone would notice for a couple of weeks......
Agreed, they've never been helpful towards me when needed, and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen them parked on pavements, in double yellow lines, disabled spaces etc
No wonder people have little respect for the doughnut fan club these days.

fandango
5th June 2012, 19:24
I've always found the police here to be either correct and respectful professionals.... or lazy rude morons. There doesn't seem to be anyone in between, so when you have to deal with them it's the luck of the draw.

Knock-on
6th June 2012, 14:59
I've always found the police here to be either correct and respectful professionals.... or lazy rude morons. There doesn't seem to be anyone in between, so when you have to deal with them it's the luck of the draw.

Most coppers I have come across have tended to be OK. Quite a few jobsworths and some that abuse their power but mostly are pretty competent.

Now, the Police in Milan are pretty lazy IMHO. More interested in driving around in their Alfa's and looking pretty than getting their hands dirty doing a job.

Mark in Oshawa
11th June 2012, 06:35

In most things, Calgary and Albertans in general are smart, realistic folk, but they elected a nanny state Premier in the guise of a conservative (Alison Redford is so much like our nanny state Liberal Party Premier McGuinty I swear they are related) and her government passed a hands-free BAN. Now of course, how can the cops tell if you are talking to your wife or singing to the radio, or talking out loud? Totally unenforceable, but never tell a liberal politican their laws are stupid....

AS for police in my neck of the woods, they couldn't catch pneumonia if there was an epidemic, but they are good at pulling people over for traffic citations, and they are just WIZARDS at writing parking tickets.

janvanvurpa
11th June 2012, 17:44
Police here are not what they once were. Shaved heads and steroid absue is rampant, even as crime of all sorts has plummeted compared with 15 years ago, they act more and more agressive, demand more military type toys so they can pretend they big brave soldiers and the populace is "the enemy'

That said they must be better than the wannabe GeheimStatsPolizei in Aurora, Colorado...
Got a "tip" the bank robber is somewhere nearby? Handcuff everybody and search everybody's car:
Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/06/police-stop-handcuff-every-adult-at-intersection-in-search-for-bank-robber/)

Police in Aurora, Colo., searching for suspected bank robbers stopped every car at an intersection, handcuffed all the adults and searched the cars, one of which they believed was carrying the suspect.

Police said they had received what they called a “reliable” tip that the culprit in an armed robbery at a Wells Fargo bank committed earlier was stopped at the red light.

“We didn’t have a description, didn’t know race or gender or anything, so a split-second decision was made to stop all the cars at that intersection, and search for the armed robber,” Aurora police Officer Frank Fania told ABC News.

Officers barricaded the area, halting 19 cars.

“Cops came in from every direction and just threw their car in front of my car,” Sonya Romero, one of the drivers who was handcuffed, told ABC News affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver.

From there, the police went from car to car, removing the passengers and handcuffing the adults.

“Most of the adults were handcuffed, then were told what was going on and were asked for permission to search the car,” Fania said. “They all granted permission, and once nothing was found in their cars, they were un-handcuffed.”

The search lasted between an hour and a half and two hours, and it wasn’t until the final car was searched that police apprehended the suspect.

“Once officers got to his car, they found evidence that he was who they were looking for,” Fania said. “When they searched the car, they found two loaded firearms.”

The actions of the police have been met with some criticism, but Fania said this was a unique situation that required an unusual response.

“It’s hard to say what normal is in a situation like this when you haven’t dealt with a situation like this,” Fania said. “The result of the whole ordeal is that it paid off. We have arrested and charged a suspect.”

The other people who had been held at the intersection were allowed to leave once the suspect was apprehended.

So no idea who the "perp" is? No problem, the 4th Amendment with its guarantee of freedom from unreasonable searches and [b]seizures---which any time a cop stops you is a "seizure"---the who nonsense about needing "probable cause" is just some old words written hundreds of years ago, and some schmuck decided this was a case where an unusual response was called for, so cuffing random citizens and sitting them on the curb for 2 hours is, evidently perfectly OK for these morton cops
"because we got the guy in the end"

Idiots, obviously, brains destroyed by drug and alcohol abuse, uneducated , too and armed to the teeth..

Makes one wonder how many people they would think is justifiable to detain without the least bit of individual suspicion on the whim of their supervisor/master?
40 was OK "because we got the guy"
would 100 be OK?
400?
4000 "because we got the guy" in the end.

Disappointing also that, as far as we can find, none of the goons thought that what they were doing was illegal and refused, none upheld their duty to PROTECT the citizens and uphold the law---and go over and arrest the person ordering them to do illegal acts .
cowards and thugs in Blue, what's new?

Tazio
28th June 2012, 14:36
Definition of probable cause (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Definition_of_probable_cause)

Not that the “squoidleys” actually care about any of this, but the top line from a "roller" that has chosen to insight you in the hope of getting you to actually commit a crime so they can beat the bejeezus out of you is:
"You match the description of someone we are looking for" :confused: :laugh:

schmenke
28th June 2012, 15:14
... hands-free BAN. Now of course, how can the cops tell if you are talking to your wife or singing to the radio, or talking out loud? Totally unenforceable ....

Not quite. The device's calls log can be easiy checked.

schmenke
28th June 2012, 15:25
... and her government passed a hands-free BAN. ....

No. Hands-free is still permitted in Alberta.

Volvo in Motorsport
9th July 2012, 17:12
This is the Swedish police, at a streetrace...

Polisbil på blackrace - YouTube (http://youtu.be/NSBTxRTWlqo)

janvanvurpa
9th July 2012, 19:32
This is the Swedish police, at a streetrace...

Polisbil på blackrace - YouTube (http://youtu.be/NSBTxRTWlqo)

På minnar mig om den här fina bil som Sollentunas snut stoppade bara för att det var så kul
http://www.danemanuelsson.se/humorbil/snut.jpg

Som en del säger ''Världens bästa bil'' !!

Whta kinda of motorsport you do 'Volvo i motorspurt''?

Out in the woods sideways eller...?

donKey jote
3rd October 2012, 19:26
not where I live, but how's this for an example of donkey police:
Uuwp5HFX5M8

...beats (no pun intended) this I guess:
4FLW4OjlcrU
"stop hitting me you donkeys, I'm one of you"

The two above got fired, the donkeys below got medals :dozey:

Captain VXR
3rd October 2012, 19:39
I'm glad that Avon and Somerset Constabulary are quite a bit more benign and localised than the NYPD:
9 Frightening Things About America's Biggest Police Force | Alternet (http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/9-frightening-things-about-americas-biggest-police-force)

janvanvurpa
3rd October 2012, 20:19
not where I live, but how's this for an example of donkey police:

...beats (no pun intended) this I guess:

"stop hitting me you donkeys, I'm one of you"

The two above got fired, the donkeys below got medals :dozey:

Got fired? Shirley you cannot be serious. On what grounds?

The one a bas, yeah, real heroes.

ioan
3rd October 2012, 21:42
Oh no, don't remind me about these worthless pieces of whatever. It's been now 6 months and I didn't hear back from them, 6 months and they did nothing about a guy who left the site of an accident. Useless pieces of trash.

donKey jote
4th October 2012, 19:20
Got fired? Shirley you cannot be serious. On what grounds?

The one a bas, yeah, real heroes.

not sure... driving without due care and attention, bringing the police into disrepute, something along those lines.

The one below... just heard in the news the undercover policeman being clobbered by his "compañeros" just lost an eye :eek: :crazy:

janvanvurpa
4th October 2012, 20:33
not sure... driving without due care and attention, bringing the police into disrepute, something along those lines. :rolleyes:

The one below... just heard in the news the undercover policeman being clobbered by his "compañeros" just lost an eye :eek: :crazy:

How can they be in disrepute if they're not already in repute? :idea: