PDA

View Full Version : Generation 4 ipod

driveace
1st May 2012, 21:38
My grandson has an ipod,4th generation,and his 3 year old sister,tripped whilst running with it and the glass screen shattered.I looked an American Apple sites and found lots of reports.The reports were saying that there is a problem with the screen on 4th Gen ipods,and most people have taken them back into the Apple shop and they have replaced F.O.C..Is this an admission from Apple that they know there is a problem with the glass in the screen which is supposed to be 20 times stronger than toughened glass,and has anyone on here any experience of this problem ?

schmenke
1st May 2012, 21:44
First I've heard of that issue. I've had my 4th gen iPod for several weeks now, which is more often in the hands of my 7-yr old, and so far no problems.

Zico
1st May 2012, 22:45
Its the 1st I've heard about Apple replacing them FOC too.. mine has been fine also.

Is the LCD ok? You can buy a replacement glass digitizer (inc tools) kit for around 12 dollars on ebay. Then just follow one of the guides on You Tube. ;)

Mark
2nd May 2012, 10:44
Apple will usually replace your device for less than the purchase cost as long as it isn't catastrophically damaged e.g sliced in half. Doubt you'd get it FOC.

Jag_Warrior
2nd May 2012, 20:59
I've had my 4th gen iPod Touch for about two years now. I think I've dropped it three or four times and it didn't break. My assumption is, whether or not it breaks depends on the angle of impact and the force of the hit when it's dropped. I mean, the screen is glass, toughened or not, so it's not unbreakable. I haven't dealt with Apple (yet) on a warranty issue with this device. So I don't know how they'd handle a case of a device being dropped by a child while running. Not suggesting you be dishonest, but I think I would "modify" the story on how it happened. ;)

driveace
2nd May 2012, 22:32
I have seen that new screens can be bought on eBay for about £12,but I went onto a American site and found all the complaints on there.Going to see the "Apple Genius" on Friday ,so will post the news on here then

Mark
3rd May 2012, 10:41
Genius bar are usually pretty good. But remember it's your fault, not theirs that it's broken. So be nice :)