PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the 'wrecking fans' won out over the 'racing fans'

Lee Roy
26th April 2012, 01:24
They're doing away with the progressive banking at Bristol.

Bristol Motor Speedway will remove progressive banking: Less than a month after fan feedback convinced him to make changes to the concrete surface at Bristol Motor Speedway, Bruton Smith, Chairman and CEO of Speedway Motorsports, announced his plans for significant modifications to the track. "I said when this process began last month that I would listen to what the fans said they wanted," Smith said. "After a week to 10 days, there was no question that the overwhelming majority was asking for alterations to the track. Since March 28, when we announced that changes would be made, we have listened to fans, heard from drivers and talked to engineers about what to do and how much time we had to do it. Once we knew the direction, we located the right equipment to make it happen." The changes concentrate on the progressive banking applied when the current track surface was put in place in the summer of 2007. "The majority of fans we heard from said they wanted adjustments made and the bulk of those said the progressive banking was what they didn't like," said Smith in explaining the decision-making process. "So, that's the focus of our efforts. And that is what we are working to change." When the deteriorating BMS track surface was replaced in 2007, variable banking was added. Often referred to as "progressive" because the degrees increase from bottom to top, the layout provided multiple lanes of racing on the famed short track. Smith said the choice to change the track surface did not come easy, but listening to the race fans always has served him well. "More and more fans kept asking us to do something to the track," Smith said. "So I put it out there. They spoke and we listened. I want them to be happy; I want them to love their experience in Bristol. This will accomplish that and I know they will be pleased with the result."

harvick#1
26th April 2012, 02:28
they are not all wrecking fans, I preferred the old style much more than the current, and I'm a racing fan. the old Bristol was different, but Bruton Smith decided to turn it it a cookie cutter design and killed the racing. there were only a few "Drivers" tracks and Bristol was one of them.

Martinsville or Sonoma is more of a demolition derby than Bristol was and I dont see you complaining about those 2 tracks.

this years race at Bristol sealed the deal when 1/3rd of the seats were full, the fans have had enough, Nascar really should open the specs back up, come up with new gear ratio rules, etc... Nascar needs to take that "spec" out of the series cause honestly, without decals, you could never tell whos driving a Ford, Chevy, or Toyota

00steven
26th April 2012, 03:53
Give it a rest Lee Roy, just because people like the old Bristol doesn't make them wrecking fans.

call_me_andrew
26th April 2012, 04:11
they are not all wrecking fans, I preferred the old style much more than the current, and I'm a racing fan. the old Bristol was different, but Bruton Smith decided to turn it it a cookie cutter design and killed the racing. there were only a few "Drivers" tracks and Bristol was one of them.

Stop calling it a "cookie cutter design!" "Cookie cutter" means everything has the same shape. Did he make Bristol a mile longer and add a tri-oval? No, so STFU.

Attendence is down because there are 4 other tracks in the Mid-west and people are tired of paying $100 per seat to sit below row 50.

00steven
26th April 2012, 05:29
Stop calling it a "cookie cutter design!" "Cookie cutter" means everything has the same shape. Did he make Bristol a mile longer and add a tri-oval? No, so STFU.

Attendence is down because there are 4 other tracks in the Mid-west and people are tired of paying $100 per seat to sit below row 50.

Wow a bit harse on Harv...

Attendence is down because people are sick of boring racing.

Sparky1329
26th April 2012, 05:56
I'm thinking Bruton Smith has listened to his pocketbook rather than fans and drivers in this situation. I don't know if changing the track will fix the racing to the satisfaction of fans and drivers. I'm really not sure it will bring more fans to the Bristol races. Exhorbitant lodging rates, ticket prices and $4.00 a gallon gas might make more of an impact than track configuration.

Lee Roy
26th April 2012, 12:28

Amen

harvick#1
26th April 2012, 22:34
I'm thinking Bruton Smith has listened to his pocketbook rather than fans and drivers in this situation. I don't know if changing the track will fix the racing to the satisfaction of fans and drivers. I'm really not sure it will bring more fans to the Bristol races. Exhorbitant lodging rates, ticket prices and $4.00 a gallon gas might make more of an impact than track configuration.

no, because even with the repave, Bristol still wont be the same, the damage was done, it will take 10-20 years for the track to weather in again and actually have a good racing surface again

Lee Roy
27th April 2012, 01:33
no, because even with the repave, Bristol still wont be the same, the damage was done, it will take 10-20 years for the track to weather in again and actually have a good racing surface again

I'll bet you get the 15-20 caution flags per race that you want right away.

harvick#1
27th April 2012, 02:28
no, I liked Bristol because it was different, much like Darlington, Rockingham, Martinsville, Richmond. Bristol is more aggressive driving that you normally never get, there have been alot of fantastic racing and finishes the old style had. also mostly all the Bristol races did have 125-200 laps of green flag racing.

the problem is alot of drivers are now too PC, afraid to be booed, afraid not to say anything stupid to piss off their sponsors

Lee Roy
27th April 2012, 05:06
also mostly all the Bristol races did have 125-200 laps of green flag racing.

Out of 500 lap races?? You really do like your "wreckin'".

Actually, I'd like to see them restore Bristol to the way it was during the 60's . . . . . without the high banking. I believe they actually had a race there one year that went the whole way under green. Early 70's I believe.

00steven
27th April 2012, 06:43
Lee Roy I sure don't like wreck fest but if your idea of an exciting race is wire to wire single file green flag racing it must be a dull existence.

harvick#1
27th April 2012, 12:03
Out of 500 lap races?? You really do like your "wreckin'".

I do not like wrecking, whats too hard to understand, I'm not a fan of just about every racing series because of "wrecking", its because of the RACING, I'm just saying Bruton F-ed up and paid the price.

Lee Roy
27th April 2012, 12:25
Lee Roy I sure don't like wreck fest but if your idea of an exciting race is wire to wire single file green flag racing it must be a dull existence.

I'm a huge F1 fan. Rarely ever see a safety car there. Suggest you don't try watching F1, you wouldn't like it.

I enjoy seeing strategy played out, whether it be F1 or NASCAR. I have a long enough attnetion span.

00steven
28th April 2012, 01:10
I'm a huge F1 fan. Rarely ever see a safety car there. Suggest you don't try watching F1, you wouldn't like it.

I enjoy seeing strategy played out, whether it be F1 or NASCAR. I have a long enough attnetion span.

I actually prefer open wheel to NASCAR. Strategy is a huge appeal to F1, NASCAR doesn't market strategy as their appeal. They market wrecking and rubbing is racing, funny huh?

call_me_andrew
28th April 2012, 03:39
I actually prefer open wheel to NASCAR. Strategy is a huge appeal to F1, NASCAR doesn't market strategy as their appeal. They market wrecking and rubbing is racing, funny huh?

NASCAR needs to rethink their maketing strategy. Eventually, kids grow out of that phase where they think Jerry Bruckheimer movies are cool.

tstran17_88
28th April 2012, 05:48
I think everyone is way off. The "wrecking" part of a Bristol race, at least as far as the night race goes, ended when "The Chase" started. Drivers that were on the bubble to make the chase were more conservative and drivers almost locked in or drivers locked out were less aggressive around these bubble drivers. The track had nothing to do with it.

My favorite Bristol race, which was considered by many "boring", was the 2005 night race. Kenseth led over 400 laps of the 500 lap race. I think the only time he was passed on the track was by Jeff Gordon earlier in the race. Most of the laps he didn't lead were on green flag pit stops. It was the first time I saw Matt win in a NASCAR series race in person.

Lee Roy
28th April 2012, 22:47
. . . . NASCAR doesn't market strategy as their appeal. They market wrecking and rubbing is racing, funny huh?

I've never been very susceptible to marketing. I prefer to think for myself.

00steven
29th April 2012, 13:34
Pointless banter...

Shifter
29th April 2012, 19:02
It's not the wrecks per se, but rather the warlike atmosphere Bristol used to have. Furthermore, when crashes happened sometimes it didn't completely ruin a teams' race, they'd just go from potential winner to battling in the mid-pack.

djparky
29th April 2012, 19:25
probably a good move. I didn't get to see Richmond (forgot to Sky plus it)- but the previous tow races were incredibly boring. I wish NASCAR would get rid of some of those cookie cutter tracks and have more short ovals- they're much more entertaining than the mid sized tracks

Lee Roy
29th April 2012, 22:21
probably a good move. I didn't get to see Richmond (forgot to Sky plus it)- but the previous tow races were incredibly boring. I wish NASCAR would get rid of some of those cookie cutter tracks and have more short ovals- they're much more entertaining than the mid sized tracks

Another "wreckin'" fan.