PDA

View Full Version : Time to open a can of worms (Mike Shoe thread)!

gloomyDAY
22nd April 2012, 15:14
Yeah, so, like Mercedes should let Mike's contract expire, and, so, like diResta can take his place next season.

Mike is so old! Ewwww. He also likes to wear really tacky clothes. Ewwww!

So, like, totally yeah! Am I right? O-M-G! There's a sale at H&M.

F1boat
22nd April 2012, 15:16
Mike is doing well, but I won't be surprised if he retires... he is not getting any younger and his luck is always bad.

The Black Knight
22nd April 2012, 15:18
Mike is doing well, but I won't be surprised if he retires... he is not getting any younger and his luck is always bad.

Well, Mercedes need a kick in the rear-end as regards to MS's car. The amount of issues he has had is ridiculous. He'd have been far further up the field this weekend had he not had more mechanical issue.s

Garry Walker
22nd April 2012, 15:20
Well, let's see. Di Resta is clearly very talented and is easily beating the overrated hulk. If MS keeps up with the pace of Rosberg in races, then I don't see why he shouldn't drive for another season or two.

Dave B
22nd April 2012, 15:21
There have been a few flashes of the Michael of old this season, and salvaging 10th from starting 22nd in Bahrain isn't anything to be sneezed at. It's the last year of his supposed 3-year comeback so it remains to be seen if his contract will be extended, assuming of course he wants to stay, but I agree that Paul has been showing some serious potential in the Force India.

jens
22nd April 2012, 15:54
Have to say Schumacher has been suffering terrible luck this season, in every GP weekend something has gone wrong for him. But if Mercedes wants to look to the future beyond this year, then di Resta is certainly an attractive option.

djparky
22nd April 2012, 16:59
oh dear what a shame- have you forgotten those mind numbing years when his car never broke down- it was always the unfortunate No2 who had the problems. Perhaps the bad luck now is balancing out all the good luck before...

As for next year I suspect he'll stick around unless he gets beaten too soundly by Rosberg (hoping he does)- if not then Di Resta seems like the logical replacement

dj_bytedisaster
22nd April 2012, 17:32
I don't see any reason for him to retire. If his latest interviews are anything to go by, he's thoroughly enjoying his job and if anything, his pace this year has been better than 2011 and 2010. You mustn't forget as well that he's nigh-on unmatched when it comes to setting up and developing a car. Nothing can beat 20 years of experience in F1 (he tested for Ferrari even after his first retirement and that surely wasn't just for the PR value).

Today's race was a classic example. In the olden days he'd probably have tried to hack his way up the order forcefully, most likely ending up in the armco or with a sliced tire. But he drove a very clever way and was in the right spot at the right time to take advantage of other people's misfortune (Button). Going from 22 to 10 in a field as close as this year's bunch is no mean feat for a guy, who got his first ever winners trophy from Charlemagne.

BDunnell
22nd April 2012, 18:09
Going from 22 to 10 in a field as close as this year's bunch is no mean feat for a guy, who got his first ever winners trophy from Charlemagne.

A very good point — even with the easier passing conferred by DRS.

F1boat
22nd April 2012, 19:13
He seems furious with Pirelli, though.

jens
22nd April 2012, 19:16
I would like to point out that at the moment people seem to be discussing from Schumacher's point of view - whether he should continue. And of course then it is easy to argue that he is still quite fast and offers value to F1 with his feisty racing.

But let's take the other side, actually the more important one - employer's point of view. Shouldn't Mercedes look to the future and hire Di Resta? I'd say hiring di Resta would make a lot of sense for them. Basically the main advantage Schumacher has, is his huge popularity and hence marketing. Then again with di Resta they could present themselves as a multi-national team and gain popularity in UK too if we are talking about marketing...

dj_bytedisaster
22nd April 2012, 19:17
He seems furious with Pirelli, though.

I wouldn't call it furious, but he voiced some disappointment that Pirelli has overdone it a bit, complaining that they have to "dawdle around corners at 60%. A bit more and the tires blow off the rims." In that regard I think he's right. Tires were ridiculously over-important at Bahrain.

steveaki13
22nd April 2012, 21:19
oh dear what a shame- have you forgotten those mind numbing years when his car never broke down- it was always the unfortunate No2 who had the problems. Perhaps the bad luck now is balancing out all the good luck before...

As for next year I suspect he'll stick around unless he gets beaten too soundly by Rosberg (hoping he does)- if not then Di Resta seems like the logical replacement

I would say that those years of Ferrari dominance and reliabilty, were down to hard work by Ferrari and not Luck.

However as you say, that doesn't explain why Rubens got left on the line about 3 times in 2002. As well as many other problems.

I would like to point out that at the moment people seem to be discussing from Schumacher's point of view - whether he should continue. And of course then it is easy to argue that he is still quite fast and offers value to F1 with his feisty racing.

But let's take the other side, actually the more important one - employer's point of view. Shouldn't Mercedes look to the future and hire Di Resta? I'd say hiring di Resta would make a lot of sense for them. Basically the main advantage Schumacher has, is his huge popularity and hence marketing. Then again with di Resta they could present themselves as a multi-national team and gain popularity in UK too if we are talking about marketing...

I like Michael, but you do raise a good point Jens.
The currant F1 team must be gaining fans in Germany with its Mercedes takeover, however they may be losing fans in the UK where they are based.

So it would make sense for them to keep an eye on Di resta and see the UK market potential.

I wouldn't call it furious, but he voiced some disappointment that Pirelli has overdone it a bit, complaining that they have to "dawdle around corners at 60%. A bit more and the tires blow off the rims." In that regard I think he's right. Tires were ridiculously over-important at Bahrain.

He shouldn't have complained to the media about them, he should have become a member here and posted a message in the "Pirelli: Did they go to far?" Thread. ;) :p

odykas
23rd April 2012, 15:02
MS will stay at least until 2015 :s mokin:

F1boat
24th April 2012, 10:15

He has bad luck in his old career as well, like in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999.

steveaki13
25th April 2012, 18:00
He has bad luck in his old career as well, like in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999.

This

Mia 01
27th April 2012, 09:37
Lewis hasnīt sign with McLaren yet. Thereīs talk about him taking MS drive.

ShiftingGears
27th April 2012, 13:37
Lewis hasnīt sign with McLaren yet. Thereīs talk about him taking MS drive.

From where?

tfp
28th April 2012, 22:15
Naahh...cant see that in a million years, I think whitmarsh would rather chew his on leg off than let hamilton go to a rival team!

tfp
28th April 2012, 22:17
Anyway I dont see whythe shoe needs to retire unless he simply cant be bothered anymore, most of his misfortune this season was exactly that, I think most of the mishaps could hav hapened to anyone.

Fastonslicks
28th April 2012, 23:28
Quite obvious that Michael is taking a seat that could go to a young talent or someone who would do a better job with it.He s clearly been dominated by his team mate since his comeback.

There ios no guarantee for DiResta tho.If theres anything,this seast should go to Sutil,even with the year off,he will be up to speed next season.

ArrowsFA1
29th April 2012, 08:42
Well, Mercedes need a kick in the rear-end as regards to MS's car. The amount of issues he has had is ridiculous. He'd have been far further up the field this weekend had he not had more mechanical issue.s
When he was dominiating he was the genius, but now he's not getting the results it's down to the team? Harsh perhaps, but three years into his comeback I don't see Michael producing the level of performance he used to be capable of. That doesn't mean he's an also ran, far from it, but my view has always been that he's not the future for Mercedes.

Its great that he's enjoying his racing, and seems to be far more relaxed than ever before, but indulging Micheal is not the way forward for the team. I'm sure he won't want to walk away from F1 again without another win or two but I suspect he'll have to. Paul di Resta should be in that seat in 2013. He's a Mercedes driver. He will have served his F1 apprenticeship with Force India. He's already proved he has the talent to match and beat the best. He's the future for Mercedes.

F1boat
29th April 2012, 16:34
Maybe Arrows, but still Mercedes really have to prepare his car in the best possible way. Even if he retires after this season.

gloomyDAY
29th April 2012, 23:53
Quite obvious that Michael is taking a seat that could go to a young talent or someone who would do a better job with it.He s clearly been dominated by his team mate since his comeback.

There ios no guarantee for DiResta tho.If theres anything,this seast should go to Sutil,even with the year off,he will be up to speed next season.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_ODcECzxGQ/T4sMKffGa8I/AAAAAAAAA88/LnQ8Dvynqbg/s1600/michael-scott-no.gif

The Black Knight
30th April 2012, 08:27
When he was dominiating he was the genius, but now he's not getting the results it's down to the team? Harsh perhaps, but three years into his comeback I don't see Michael producing the level of performance he used to be capable of. That doesn't mean he's an also ran, far from it, but my view has always been that he's not the future for Mercedes.

Its great that he's enjoying his racing, and seems to be far more relaxed than ever before, but indulging Micheal is not the way forward for the team. I'm sure he won't want to walk away from F1 again without another win or two but I suspect he'll have to. Paul di Resta should be in that seat in 2013. He's a Mercedes driver. He will have served his F1 apprenticeship with Force India. He's already proved he has the talent to match and beat the best. He's the future for Mercedes.

I'm speking about his mechanica issues that he has been plagued with. Australia, China and an issue with his car in qualifying. It's too many issues for a team like Mercedes. The rest of your post I pretty much agree with. Unless he ups his game this year he will probably have to retire. I can't see Mercedes justifying his retainer unless he does for a 4th season in a row.

DexDexter
30th April 2012, 09:14

Di Resta is good but so far he has proven that he can beat Sutil and Hulkenberg and I wouldn't call them "the best". If Merc really want to be taken seriously, they'll go for Hamilton.

ArrowsFA1
30th April 2012, 12:24
Di Resta is good but so far he has proven that he can beat Sutil and Hulkenberg and I wouldn't call them "the best".
I was referring to his 2006 F3 championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Formula_Three_Euroseries_season) win when he beat his team-mate, a certain Sebastian Vettel who turned out to be quite good I believe :)

DexDexter
30th April 2012, 12:30
I was referring to his 2006 F3 championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Formula_Three_Euroseries_season) win when he beat his team-mate, a certain Sebastian Vettel who turned out to be quite good I believe :)

I didn't realize that and stand corrected :) . Di Resta is certainly a very talented driver.

jens
30th April 2012, 15:55
If Merc really want to be taken seriously, they'll go for Hamilton.

I don't know, how seriously does Hamilton take Mercedes though. And in any case, most of all Mercedes needs a top car if they want to be taken seriously.

F1boat
1st May 2012, 12:48
I didn't realize that and stand corrected :) . Di Resta is certainly a very talented driver.

Yes, he won also the DTM and while some F1 fans does not respect touring car racing, my impression is that DTM is horribly hard.

jens
2nd May 2012, 16:03
Yes, he won also the DTM and while some F1 fans does not respect touring car racing, my impression is that DTM is horribly hard.

DTM is definitely very hard, but the important thing to keep in mind is that it is a completely different form of motorsport, so success (or lack of it) in DTM shows very little about driver's potential for F1.

Tazio
2nd May 2012, 16:49
I don't know, how seriously does Hamilton take Mercedes though. And in any case, most of all Mercedes needs a top car if they want to be taken seriously.
I don’t think a move by Lewis should be considered unless Mercedes is firmly in the top two in WCC points at the end of the season. Some drivers (and cars) have adapted to the new tire thingy but I don't believe any of them really like it, and shoe has been letting his feelings known. On the track he has had bad luck. Sometimes you make your own luck.
Starting 17th is not the way you win races. He will never dominate again, but personally I think his going or staying is up to the team. M!ke will probably stick around one more season, but personally I don't care if he goes or stays.

Tazio
2nd May 2012, 18:05
Correction: I don’t think a move by Lewis should be considered unless Mercedes is firmly in the top three in WCC points at the end of the season.

Knock-on
2nd May 2012, 23:50
Lewis will not move to Merc. Total fantasy. pdr likely.

Garry Walker
13th May 2012, 10:39
DTM is definitely very hard, but the important thing to keep in mind is that it is a completely different form of motorsport, so success (or lack of it) in DTM shows very little about driver's potential for F1.

Absolutely. MS embarrassed himself in DtM, but wasn't the slowest of drivers in F1.

ShiftingGears
14th May 2012, 00:05
I thought Schumacher was unfairly penalised there, Senna moving around in the braking zone with closing speeds like that is just asking for an accident.

SGWilko
14th May 2012, 10:17
I thought Schumacher was unfairly penalised there, Senna moving around in the braking zone with closing speeds like that is just asking for an accident.

I know, can you imagine Michael ever doing that....?

ShiftingGears
14th May 2012, 14:50
I know, can you imagine Michael ever doing that....?

Without receiving any criticism whatsoever? Nope.

SGWilko
14th May 2012, 15:06
Without receiving any criticism whatsoever? Nope.

Stoopid is as stoopid does. Reap what you sow. Made your bed.............. etc etc. :laugh:

Ranger
14th May 2012, 16:26
Paul di Resta should be in that seat in 2013. He's a Mercedes driver. He will have served his F1 apprenticeship with Force India. He's already proved he has the talent to match and beat the best. He's the future for Mercedes.

What happened in 2006 in a feeder series means nothing now. Di Resta hasn't yet shown anything special in F1.