PDA

View Full Version : Force India Qualifying Footage blackout in Bahrain

Zico
22nd April 2012, 09:02
This subject was brought up by Jens on the Bahrain GP track thread, It deserves a thread of its own imo..

Force India is remaining publicly silent after its cars were excluded from television coverage of qualifying in Bahrain. Paul di Resta raced into the decisive Q3 segment but, justifying the apparent black-out, Bernie Ecclestone said "nobody cares" about the cars that are not in the running for pole.

Rumours are intensifying that Force India was maliciously excluded from the sport's 'world feed' - controlled by Ecclestone's Formula One Management - because the Silverstone based team sat out a practice session over staff's safety fears.

The F1 chief executive told reporters: "I suspect it (the blackout) was more to do with the Bahrain laws on no alcohol advertising. "They have a whisky company prominently on the car. They should have taken it off. The TV could not show that," said Ecclestone.

Force India's deputy team boss Bob Fernley, in charge this weekend in Vijay Mallya's absence, would not comment.

Indeed, McLaren and Sauber are not running their usual alcohol sponsors this weekend, but Red Bull was shown on television throughout the Bahrain grand prix weekend so far with its Singha beer brand signage.

And Force India's whisky sponsor Whyte and Mackay was seen on the world feed in Bahrain in Friday morning practice, before the team decided to sit out the second session. Meanwhile, authoritative media sources have been briefed to the effect that Force India's current livery was approved well in advance of this weekend's race. A team insider told the Guardian: "Everyone knows what happened. Bernie is giving Force India a slap on the wrist for missing Friday's second practice session."

F1: Force India silent as Ecclestone justifies blackout | News | Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force-india-silent-as-ecclestone-justifies-blackout/)

Incredible.. Dirty tricks eh Bernie? Only you and your circus could get away with something like this but how low would you be prepared to go?

janneppi
22nd April 2012, 09:18
The other teams should have followed Force India's example, then you'd have watched 1 hour of scenic shots of gravel instead of F1 cars. ;)

Garry Walker
22nd April 2012, 09:19
If true, then that is the level of behaviour you would expect from a love-sick 13 year old girl, not from grown up men.

jens
22nd April 2012, 09:30
Let's see, what will happen during the race. It will be a bit more difficult to avoid Force Indias if they are racing together with others in the pack. Or will the TV director avoid showing the whole midfield? :p :

F1boat
22nd April 2012, 09:33
This is a bit silly. The FI crew were scared and this is expected, when Molotovs fail near you.

BDunnell
22nd April 2012, 11:33
If true, then that is the level of behaviour you would expect from a love-sick 13 year old girl, not from grown up men.

For once, I couldn't agree with you more.

BDunnell
22nd April 2012, 11:37
Let's see, what will happen during the race. It will be a bit more difficult to avoid Force Indias if they are racing together with others in the pack. Or will the TV director avoid showing the whole midfield? :p :

Apropos of nothing, the BBC's once very confused stance on cigarette advertising led to its 1986 Circuit of Ireland Rally coverage being shown without the Metro 6R4 of Jimmy McRae because it was sponsored by Rothmans. It was fortunate, perhaps, that he didn't win, otherwise the resulting broadcast would have been absurd. This was soon sorted out; then the BBC was going to show the 1991 Monte Carlo Rally, but dropped the coverage because of tobacco sponsorship. It was replaced by extended coverage of... the Benson & Hedges Masters snooker. I kid you not.

AndyRAC
22nd April 2012, 11:45
Apropos of nothing, the BBC's once very confused stance on cigarette advertising led to its 1986 Circuit of Ireland Rally coverage being shown without the Metro 6R4 of Jimmy McRae because it was sponsored by Rothmans. It was fortunate, perhaps, that he didn't win, otherwise the resulting broadcast would have been absurd. This was soon sorted out; then the BBC was going to show the 1991 Monte Carlo Rally, but dropped the coverage because of tobacco sponsorship. It was replaced by extended coverage of... the Benson & Hedges Masters snooker. I kid you not.

Yet they were quite happy to cover F1 with Marlboro, Camel, Gitanes Blondes et al........confused is the word.

I don't think there is any doubt that FOM were instructed to ignore Force India - a quite shameful and pretty low act. But not unexpected really, from BCE.

BDunnell
22nd April 2012, 11:47
I don't think there is any doubt that FOM were instructed to ignore Force India - a quite shameful and pretty low act. But not unexpected really, from BCE.

And, what's worse, one in relation to which there can be no repercussions.

AndyRAC
22nd April 2012, 12:14
No, it's BCE's way or nothing.......take it or leave it.

driveace
22nd April 2012, 12:32
Let's hope that Paul di Resta has a good race today,and gets points too

skarderud
22nd April 2012, 12:39
childish, mafia, dwarf. thats bernie in a nutshell....

ioan
22nd April 2012, 12:42
I do find this all rather childish and pathetic if the reason Force India did not appear on our screens was because they didn't take part in practice. How are we as fans supposed to take the sport seriously if school yard grudge style tactics are used in such a public arena? Come on Bernie for goodness sake!

You mean you're still taking this 'sport' seriously?

ioan
22nd April 2012, 12:44

From a distance he does look like one, doesn't he? ;)

BDunnell
22nd April 2012, 13:48
You mean you're still taking this 'sport' seriously?

ioan, I do hope that, now you've decided not to watch F1 ever again, your contributions to the F1 forum won't all just be moans directed at those who do.

F1boat
22nd April 2012, 14:51
ioan, I do hope that, now you've decided not to watch F1 ever again, your contributions to the F1 forum won't all just be moans directed at those who do.

+1

Fortunately in the race we saw the FI cars :)

Dave B
22nd April 2012, 14:57
ioan, I do hope that, now you've decided not to watch F1 ever again...
You don't expect that to last, do you? :s

F1boat
22nd April 2012, 15:15
It's not a nice thing to discuss a fellow forumer, but I won't be surprised if he watched this race as well.

airshifter
22nd April 2012, 15:38
The F1 chief executive told reporters: "I suspect it (the blackout) was more to do with the Bahrain laws on no alcohol advertising. "They have a whisky company prominently on the car. They should have taken it off. The TV could not show that," said Ecclestone.

Force India's deputy team boss Bob Fernley, in charge this weekend in Vijay Mallya's absence, would not comment.

Indeed, McLaren and Sauber are not running their usual alcohol sponsors this weekend, but Red Bull was shown on television throughout the Bahrain grand prix weekend so far with its Singha beer brand signage.

And Force India's whisky sponsor Whyte and Mackay was seen on the world feed in Bahrain in Friday morning practice, before the team decided to sit out the second session. Meanwhile, authoritative media sources have been briefed to the effect that Force India's current livery was approved well in advance of this weekend's race. A team insider told the Guardian: "Everyone knows what happened. Bernie is giving Force India a slap on the wrist for missing Friday's second practice session."

It's possible that the livery was approved without understanding the alcohol sponsors were on the car. I haven't ever noticed the Singha markings on the Red Bull and had no idea it's a company that sells alcohol. It seems strange to me that some cars excluded it if some kept it on the car.

That being said, if they intentionally screwed Force India then they should fine the living crap out of them for playing such games.