PDA

View Full Version : Monaco track changes

wedge
20th April 2012, 15:43
The got rid of the hump inbetween the tunnel and chicane.

Shame, errors should be punished.

Monaco GP organisers announce track changes for 2012 race - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98975)

SGWilko
20th April 2012, 15:48

Monaco GP organisers announce track changes for 2012 race - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98975)

Some past errors that have been made, the drivers have paid with their lives.

As a track, you can understand and applaud Monaco's proactive stance. Can't have the H&S cotton wool brigade banning any future racing at such an iconic track now, can we? ;)

Dave B
20th April 2012, 16:52

Sutil was unfairly punished for Raikkonen's mistake in 2008, and he was one of the lucky ones. That barrier, along with the uneven surface, has been responsible for a lot of damage and injury.

wedge
20th April 2012, 23:47
Sutil was unfairly punished for Raikkonen's mistake in 2008, and he was one of the lucky ones. That barrier, along with the uneven surface, has been responsible for a lot of damage and injury.

Many parts of the IOM TT are near literal death wish. Many lives have been lost and compromised.

Ever been to the Nurburgring? If you have a shunt its your own bleeding fault, you don't blame "the stupid hump" at Pflanzgarten.

Here's an idea: lets bring back TC in case the best driver's in the world make a mistake or how about a canopy.....

Dave B
21st April 2012, 08:36
Many parts of the IOM TT are near literal death wish. Many lives have been lost and compromised. Ever been to the Nurburgring? If you have a shunt its your own bleeding fault, you don't blame "the stupid hump" at Pflanzgarten.Here's an idea: lets bring back TC in case the best driver's in the world make a mistake or how about a canopy.....So logically because some places are dangerous it's alright for others to be too? That's nonsense.

SGWilko
21st April 2012, 09:14
Many parts of the IOM TT are near literal death wish. Many lives have been lost and compromised.

Ever been to the Nurburgring? If you have a shunt its your own bleeding fault, you don't blame "the stupid hump" at Pflanzgarten.

Here's an idea: lets bring back TC in case the best driver's in the world make a mistake or how about a canopy.....

So, the highways agency knows about a dangerous pothole in the M1, but because you are in control of that agency, you are happy for it to remain in the road until someone is killed as a result of the ensuing accident, because until that point, you deem it an acceptable risk?

Drivers not using the A1(M) as an alternative that have a puncture due to said pothole are told it is their own bleeding fault?????

Mark
21st April 2012, 10:50
I see you have a good understanding of how the Highways Agency works! :)

steveaki13
21st April 2012, 11:32
I have no real problem with the hump being removed for the exit of the tunnel, it often made drivers lose control through no real mistake. {Perez, Raikkonen, Button, Coulthard and Frentzen) to name those I can remember.

However I still wish we could change the barriers back to pre 2003. For me the 2002 and previous layout may have cause more incidents, but the barriers on the inside of St.Devote no one ever really hit, but it made the starts and racing line harder.

The barriers on exit of the swimming pool also ended a few races but that should be the price for a mistake at Monaco. I don't recall many injuries there from 90-02.

Needless sanatisation.

jens
21st April 2012, 13:30
Actually surprised it has taken them so long to remove the post-tunnel bump. It has been causing trouble for some time already.

wedge
21st April 2012, 14:40
So logically because some places are dangerous it's alright for others to be too? That's nonsense.

Let me guess, Sir Stirling Moss is absurd and speaks nonsense?

"One of the reasons I went into racing was because it was dangerous," he said. "That's what teenagers do. Someone says they are a racing driver and people say 'Wow that must be dangerous'. If it hadn't been dangerous, it wouldn't have been nearly as attractive to me - it is an important part of racing, like salt is to cooking.

"Getting into an old Formula One car you knew you were really vulnerable. To use a straightforward analogy, if a tightrope was only one foot above the ground anyone would try it, if its 50 feet in the air not many would and without a safety net even fewer. That was the appeal of racing to me."

"I know when drivers of today get into a car like mine they say 'you must have been mad, it's really unsafe - crazy'. Jackie Stewart did a lot towards making racing safer. Today we have huge run-off areas for example. To me, at some circuits, this rather emasculates the sport."

Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt | Formula 1 | F1 features | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/4802.html)

So, the highways agency knows about a dangerous pothole in the M1, but because you are in control of that agency, you are happy for it to remain in the road until someone is killed as a result of the ensuing accident, because until that point, you deem it an acceptable risk?

Drivers not using the A1(M) as an alternative that have a puncture due to said pothole are told it is their own bleeding fault?????

UK roads aren't exactly the best maintained but [otholes and bumps/ripples are two completely different things.

The best B-roads isn't necessarily one with the smoothest asphalt. Bumps that can affect braking and cornering and thus offers a challenge that smooth asphalt cannot.

Potholes on the other hand are an absolute nuisance.

Dave B
21st April 2012, 14:48
Let me guess, Sir Stirling Moss is absurd and speaks nonsense?
I hardly think flattening out a bump and moving a barrier suddenly makes the sport safe. There's still a massive risk and adrenaline rush to be had.

A dangerous piece of track has been identified and altered, I honestly fail to see why anybody would have an issue with that :s

wedge
21st April 2012, 15:07
I hardly think flattening out a bump and moving a barrier suddenly makes the sport safe. There's still a massive risk and adrenaline rush to be had.

A dangerous piece of track has been identified and altered, I honestly fail to see why anybody would have an issue with that :s

Because it offered a challenge to, after all, supposedly some of the best drivers in the world.

Take the Swimming Pool section with the barriers moved back its now been sanitised no matter how breathtaking it is to see Hamilton fly over the kerbs with the back end stepping out. With the barriers up close and personal it was like threading through the eye of a needle.

Dave B
21st April 2012, 15:43
Because it offered a challenge to, after all, supposedly some of the best drivers in the world.

Take the Swimming Pool section with the barriers moved back its now been sanitised no matter how breathtaking it is to see Hamilton fly over the kerbs with the back end stepping out. With the barriers up close and personal it was like threading through the eye of a needle.
We'll probably have to agree to disagree. Personally I fail to understand how removing a dangerous bump and re-siting a barrier which has damaged numerous cars and caused many injuries somehow makes Monaco anything less of a challenge or spectacle.