PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Indy 500 Entry List

DanicaFan
20th April 2012, 14:18
Well the entry list is out for this year's Indy 500. We know this will change before it gets here..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/2012indyentry.jpg

jwhite9185
20th April 2012, 14:56
Curt Cavin seems to think Michel Jourdain will be in the 2nd RLR car... thought he was long past it! Good to see him back though if it all works out.

heliocastroneves#3
20th April 2012, 15:10
Never was a fan of ChampCar/CART, but I always knew Michel Jourdain Jr. was very good in CART/ChampCar. It was so sad he left after the 2004 (?) season... Would be awesome to see him back in an open wheeler... But what happened with Luca Filippi? He was confirmed to run full time, beginning with the Indianapolis 500, in the second Rahal Letterman Racing car...

FIAT1
20th April 2012, 16:26
Never was a fan of ChampCar/CART, but I always knew Michel Jourdain Jr. was very good in CART/ChampCar. It was so sad he left after the 2004 (?) season... Would be awesome to see him back in an open wheeler... But what happened with Luca Filippi? He was confirmed to run full time, beginning with the Indianapolis 500, in the second Rahal Letterman Racing car...

I hope you enjoy cart/champcar now, as for Filippi ,no more money honey ,no more ride.

heliocastroneves#3
20th April 2012, 18:18
CART/ChampCar doesn't exist anymore, mate... My father just watched it, and heard very often how the races were. I only watched IRL. I rather call it IRL than CART/ChampCar, anyway xD... And... That's sad for Luca Filippi anyway...

Nikki Katz
20th April 2012, 18:22
Jourdain was good for a season when he had a 50 year old as a teammate, then fell backwards the following year and was beaten by teammate Hunter-Reay. He left for various different series without really making an impression on any of them.

I was a big ChampCar fan, but frankly I was more excited about Filippi. I hope he still turns up later in the season.

garyshell
20th April 2012, 20:28
CART/ChampCar doesn't exist anymore, mate... My father just watched it, and heard very often how the races were. I only watched IRL. I rather call it IRL than CART/ChampCar, anyway xD...

This news just in: IRL no longer exists either. It is Indycar.

Gary

FIAT1
20th April 2012, 21:54
CART/ChampCar doesn't exist anymore, mate... My father just watched it, and heard very often how the races were. I only watched IRL. I rather call it IRL than CART/ChampCar, anyway xD... And... That's sad for Luca Filippi anyway...

I was watching everything, therefore I know the difference, and if you did mate, you would know that Heliocastroneves#3 and almost everyone on the grid of today Indycar from the owners to drivers was Indycar/cart/champcar in one way or the other. My respond before was to that fact. Does not matter now does it? What you want to call it is up to you, for me it is Indycar and always was.

FIAT1
20th April 2012, 22:08
Back to 500. I hope this year race is safe, fast and engine trouble free. Would like to see Paul Tracy take it one more time for the good times. Sounds like a tune, but it would be nice finish to a great career!

numanoid
21st April 2012, 05:27
I wish Danica would race. Hopefully some more cars will enter. We need some action on Bump Day.

heliocastroneves#3
21st April 2012, 10:55
Well, there's a #7 car available at Milwaukee this year.... Who knows... NASCAR doesn't race at The Mile, so maybe Danica wants to be a Lotus backmarker for once? Expect to see Danica back in 2013, whether it's full time or Indy 500 only.

00steven
21st April 2012, 12:33
Never was a fan of ChampCar/CART

That's a wee bit silly...

FIAT1
24th April 2012, 14:35
Shank enters Jay Howard for the 500. Engine?

heliocastroneves#3
24th April 2012, 16:07
That's a wee bit silly...
It's true mate. I just fell in love with the IRL, when it started in 1996... I just watched a CART race sometimes, and enjoyed it.... But it's like how I "follow" NASCAR now, I watch it now and then but I don't really care about it who wins the races and so I don't consider myself as a real fan of it.

By the way; Michel Jourdain Jr. has been confirmed as the driver of the #30 Rahal Letterman Racing car at Indy. :)

00steven
24th April 2012, 16:40
Good for Jourdain!

GRW1983
24th April 2012, 17:08
Seems that the latest is that, according to Curt Cavin, Ed Carpenter will NOT field a 2nd car, but MSR will for Jay Howard (providing they secure an engine). If true, then Chevy have 2 engine leases left for Indy with BHA, DRR & Shank chasing engine deals. Honda have said a max supply of 14, Chevy a max of 15 & Lotus, probably, only 4. That would total 33 engine leases. BHA have been linked with Honda, but that would mean Honda going beyond the total they said they would. DRR have been linked to Chevy & that would mean 14 deals for them. I think it would make sense for Honda to increase by 1 to 15 to accomodate BHA, Chevy take on DRR & Shank to have 15 & let Lotus have the other 4, That way, we still have a bump day with 34 entries. I just hope that Honda & Chevy can take on BHA & DRR after they split from Lotus.

heliocastroneves#3
24th April 2012, 17:18
I'm a little surprised, guys like Buddy Rice and Vitor Meira aren't having a ride for the Indy 500 to be honest...

anthonyvop
24th April 2012, 17:49
This news just in: IRL no longer exists either. It is Indycar.

Gary

They should bring back the IRL moniker.

With Barrichello, Alesi now Jourdain it fits.

Indy
Retirement
League

Marbles
25th April 2012, 01:16
They should bring back the IRL moniker.

With Barrichello, Alesi now Jourdain it fits.

Indy
Retirement
League

I think you would be amazed at the number of legends who've won the Greatest Spectacle in Racing after they surpassed the forty year milestone. Just kidding -- I'm sure you know better.

Phoenixent
25th April 2012, 03:51
I'm a little surprised, guys like Buddy Rice and Vitor Meira aren't having a ride for the Indy 500 to be honest...

You must not watch Indy very much during qualifying and bump day. Those guys will be there like hired guns looking and waiting to get into a car. I remember back during CART's visit to The Speedway a hired gun came in qualified a car went on to win The Greatest Race capturing his 4th Indy 500. My racing hero Al Unser Sr. did what they did not think could be done of course Penske knew. I think the Buddy Rice or Paul Tracy (If he decides to drive something with four wheels) can put a car in the position to win if Lady Indy wants it so.

anthonyvop
25th April 2012, 04:15
I think you would be amazed at the number of legends who've won the Greatest Spectacle in Racing after they surpassed the forty year milestone. Just kidding -- I'm sure you know better.

I am aware but I would hardly classify Barrichello, Alesi & especially Jourdain as legends!

Phoenixent
25th April 2012, 15:52
I am aware but I would hardly classify Barrichello, Alesi & especially Jourdain as legends!

I agree with you on this point. I like Jourdain as both a driver and a person but him and the other F1 has been are not legends and have not done anything to be part of Indy legend yet.

FIAT1
25th April 2012, 18:27
I agree with you on this point. I like Jourdain as both a driver and a person but him and the other F1 has been are not legends and have not done anything to be part of Indy legend yet.

I don't know what makes one legit to be called a legend, what is a criteria. I would choose Barricello over Hornish to drive for my team and my money any time.

00steven
25th April 2012, 18:44
I don't know what makes one legit to be called a legend, what is a criteria. I would choose Barricello over Hornish to drive for my team and my money any time.

Agreed

anthonyvop
25th April 2012, 21:15

I wouldn't call Hornish a Legend either. He benefited from being on the best team and extremely weak fields

Marbles
25th April 2012, 23:21

Allow me to rephrase that. Legends\drivers of note\veterans have won the Indy past 40. You should know better.

FIAT1
26th April 2012, 00:19
Allow me to rephrase that. Legends\drivers of note\veterans have won the Indy past 40. You should know better.

That would bring us to celebrate greatness of one Eddie Cheever. I will pass on that one. I'm still with Rubens.

Marbles
26th April 2012, 00:53
That would bring us to celebrate greatness of one Eddie Cheever. I will pass on that one. I'm still with Rubens.

Don't limit yourself. You should look a little further back -- If you care to. :)

FIAT1
26th April 2012, 01:27
Don't limit yourself. You should look a little further back -- If you care to. :)

I know! Little humor there in regards to Cheever.

Marbles
26th April 2012, 01:47
I know! Little humor there in regards to Cheever.

Caught it! But Cheever was a cheap shot. ;)

00steven
26th April 2012, 03:37
Buddy Lazier? Kenny Brak?

Phoenixent
26th April 2012, 03:58

Called a legend in what sport? In F1 would you call Barrichello a legend? He has not done anything spectacular in Indycar to become a legend yet and he has not turned a wheel at Indy so he is not part of Indy legend. I for one would rank Hornish as part of Indy Legend and he is a legend in Indycar due to his championships and his ability to push his Indycar harder than most and win. I would place Sébastien Bourdais in the Indycar legends category far above Rubens Barrichello......

FIAT1
26th April 2012, 12:42
Called a legend in what sport? In F1 would you call Barrichello a legend? He has not done anything spectacular in Indycar to become a legend yet and he has not turned a wheel at Indy so he is not part of Indy legend. I for one would rank Hornish as part of Indy Legend and he is a legend in Indycar due to his championships and his ability to push his Indycar harder than most and win. I would place Sébastien Bourdais in the Indycar legends category far above Rubens Barrichello......

Agree with you on Bourdais, Hornish is not in Indycar for a reason and Roger knows why, as for Barricello I was replaying to the three noted on the post. I'm sure there is many greats in every sport and did not win main event ,but their talent,hard work,respect of their peers and longevity in the sport, it does make them a legend.

Marbles
26th April 2012, 13:48
Agree with you on Bourdais, Hornish is not in Indycar for a reason and Roger knows why, as for Barricello I was replaying to the three noted on the post. I'm sure there is many greats in every sport and did not win main event ,but their talent,hard work,respect of their peers and longevity in the sport, it does make them a legend.

Lloyd Ruby's hard luck at Indy is somewhat legendary.

garyshell
26th April 2012, 16:24
Caught it! But Cheever was a cheap shot. ;)

He is the very definition of a cheap shot!

Gary

heliocastroneves#3
26th April 2012, 17:06
Oh okay, because especially Buddy Rice simply deserves a ride. The man knows how to drive an IndyCar very well. :)

anthonyvop
26th April 2012, 17:57

Barrichello is not a legend.

He is a perennial #2 driver who had only one good year even though he had many seasons behind the wheel of a dominant car.

he is a popular driver, especially in Brazil, but he is hardly qualified to be in the pantheon of truly legendary F1 drivers like Clarke, Stewart, Prost, Senna and Gilles Villeneuve(Not Jacques)

FIAT1
26th April 2012, 22:24
Barrichello is not a legend.

He is a perennial #2 driver who had only one good year even though he had many seasons behind the wheel of a dominant car.

he is a popular driver, especially in Brazil, but he is hardly qualified to be in the pantheon of truly legendary F1 drivers like Clarke, Stewart, Prost, Senna and Gilles Villeneuve(Not Jacques)

I don't think anyone here is comparing Rubens to any other great champion and you left many on your list, but to drive in series like F1 for that many years you must be good , even if you are not a legend and placing him on the same list as Hornish is little bit silly. I'm sure most in the field of today Indycar are pleased that their star just went up a notch in the racing world because of him in the series. My opinion.

Marbles
27th April 2012, 00:14
I don't think anyone here is comparing Rubens to any other great champion and you left many on your list, but to drive in series like F1 for that many years you must be good , even if you are not a legend and placing him on the same list as Hornish is little bit silly. I'm sure most in the field of today Indycar are pleased that their star just went up a notch in the racing world because of him in the series. My opinion.

RB, an awesome F1 resume and huge respect amongst drivers and fans for his skill, and Alesi, one of the more charismatic F1 drivers -ever- in his prime (over rated in my estimation), will bring thousands, hundreds of thousands possibly millions of eyes that would otherwise NOT be watching the Indy 500. It's tough for Alesi though -- his age -- has a Lotus -- coming from the lounger to the cockpit? May not even qualify and if he does there's little hope.

If JV showed up along with Tracy... wow! Do they get legend status?

Phoenixent
27th April 2012, 01:21
Hornish is not in Indycar for a reason and Roger knows why. For one Hornish was really good in an Indycar and brought home a Championship to Penske something Castroneves has not done in 11 years. But Hornish is junk on road courses and was junk in the Taxi also so it was hard to sell a sponsor for his ride.

I'm sure there is many greats in every sport and did not win main event ,but their talent,hard work,respect of their peers and longevity in the sport, it does make them a legend. I guess that makes Andrea de Cesaris an F1 Legend since he worked hard and had longevity.... :)

Phoenixent
27th April 2012, 01:32
If JV showed up along with Tracy... wow! Do they get legend status?

I thought they already had Indy Legend status.... :D

FIAT1
27th April 2012, 12:11
For one Hornish was really good in an Indycar and brought home a Championship to Penske something Castroneves has not done in 11 years. But Hornish is junk on road courses and was junk in the Taxi also so it was hard to sell a sponsor for his ride.

I guess that makes Andrea de Cesaris an F1 Legend since he worked hard and had longevity.... :)

De Cesaris is a legend to some as it seams , but we all have different criteria , as for Hornish really good .Whoa, I think we definitely have different opinion on definition of really good.

Chris R
27th April 2012, 14:33
I am not sure where this got on the "legend" theme - but some people are legendarily good and some are legendarily bad - I'd say deCesaris fit the "bad" category.... Most drivers are just plain old famous for things that have little to do with their wins... Seems like Jiggor Sirios (sp?) is a bit of an Indy legend and I am not even sure he ever qualified.... It seems to me the legends of Indy are the 4 time winners for sure and many other winners - but you are not alegend jsut because you won..... Buddy L. for winning with a broken back... even Scott Goodyear for coming oh so close and then throwing one away.... Parnelli or winning with a cracked oil tank and losing in Silent Sam,,, Hurtibuise for coming back with a hand set to grip a steering wheel and bringing that Mallard back year after year... Penske's 1994 engine is legend (not Al's win)... Sullivan spinning and winning - that is legend... Trueman dying a week after Rahal won.... DePalma pushing his car (twice!!)....

FIAT1
28th April 2012, 03:11
I am not sure where this got on the "legend" theme - but some people are legendarily good and some are legendarily bad - I'd say deCesaris fit the "bad" category.... Most drivers are just plain old famous for things that have little to do with their wins... Seems like Jiggor Sirios (sp?) is a bit of an Indy legend and I am not even sure he ever qualified.... It seems to me the legends of Indy are the 4 time winners for sure and many other winners - but you are not alegend jsut because you won..... Buddy L. for winning with a broken back... even Scott Goodyear for coming oh so close and then throwing one away.... Parnelli or winning with a cracked oil tank and losing in Silent Sam,,, Hurtibuise for coming back with a hand set to grip a steering wheel and bringing that Mallard back year after year... Penske's 1994 engine is legend (not Al's win)... Sullivan spinning and winning - that is legend... Trueman dying a week after Rahal won.... DePalma pushing his car (twice!!)....

Exactly.... spot on!

Phoenixent
28th April 2012, 04:55

I agree with you Chris. But everyone you mention here have at least one thing in common they have all turned a wheel at Indianapolis. Of the three mentioned by Anthonyvop which were Barrichello, Alesi & Jourdain jr. only Jourdain Jr has turned a wheel at Indy starting 8th and finishing 13th in 1995.

FIAT1
28th April 2012, 14:17
NHR withdraws from the race.

GRW1983
28th April 2012, 15:57
NHR withdraws from the race.

Yes, no Newman-Haas entry this year. They say it wasn't any one issue as such except that they wanted to run a proper effort, but had run out of time. Maybe, Lotus or Jean Alesi have had second thoughts. With Ed Carpenter NOT running a 2nd car (according to Curt Cavin) & now Newman-Haas pulling out, that leaves only 32 cars from the original entry list. Shank will be the 33rd car, although they have a deadline of early next week to secure an engine. It seems that we may only have 33 cars going into May & even that is on the basis that Shank secures an engine. I, for one, hope that they do.

Phoenixent
28th April 2012, 18:42
Yes, no Newman-Haas entry this year. They say it wasn't any one issue as such except that they wanted to run a proper effort, but had run out of time. Maybe, Lotus or Jean Alesi have had second thoughts. With Ed Carpenter NOT running a 2nd car (according to Curt Cavin) & now Newman-Haas pulling out, that leaves only 32 cars from the original entry list. Shank will be the 33rd car, although they have a deadline of early next week to secure an engine. It seems that we may only have 33 cars going into May & even that is on the basis that Shank secures an engine. I, for one, hope that they do.

Look for one of the super teams to put another car out there like AA. Also Panther and others might get another car in after the primary is in the field. Of course it will be easier for the teams to get their cars in and the field locked up with only 33 cars. Sad that Lotus is dragging the 500 down due to Judd POS motors.

Chris R
29th April 2012, 03:13
I agree with you Chris. But everyone you mention here have at least one thing in common they have all turned a wheel at Indianapolis. Of the three mentioned by Anthonyvop which were Barrichello, Alesi & Jourdain jr. only Jourdain Jr has turned a wheel at Indy starting 8th and finishing 13th in 1995.

You are right - and none of them are even legendary in their own right now anyway.....

Chris R
29th April 2012, 03:16
Look for one of the super teams to put another car out there like AA. Also Panther and others might get another car in after the primary is in the field. Of course it will be easier for the teams to get their cars in and the field locked up with only 33 cars. Sad that Lotus is dragging the 500 down due to Judd POS motors.

Maybe Penske will put Ongais out there again :p

Seriously, I wonder if AA, Penske or Ganassi have the equipment to do one more car... Seems like Panther should be able to... I wonder if ECR will reconsider if it is more of a sure thing.....

numanoid
1st May 2012, 23:29
Wow, Bump Day is going to be really exciting this year!

I'm kinda pissed about this turn of events. Lotus not having a competitive engine is adding yet another blemish to the series. This time, it's doing it on prime time TV for America's most prestigious race.

numanoid
2nd May 2012, 01:54
It's another wait till next year scenario. The only difference is that this time there is something to actually wait for. More cars; (maybe) a different engine supplier; more factory interest as the series regrows toward what it once was. Long way to go, but way ahead of where it was a couple of years ago.

I agree, and I hope it's worth the wait. This year's wait was definitely worth it with the action the new cars are giving us. I suppose for most people watching the race there isn't a big difference between having a 32 car field and having a 33 car field when one of those cars was Milka Duno's. ;)

But the whole drama leading up to the race, culminating on Bump Day is something that I will sorely miss this year.

00steven
2nd May 2012, 04:21
Side note, it looks like Jim Nabors will miss Indy this year. :(

heliocastroneves#3
2nd May 2012, 14:32
For one Hornish was really good in an Indycar and brought home a Championship to Penske something Castroneves has not done in 11 years. But Hornish is junk on road courses and was junk in the Taxi also so it was hard to sell a sponsor for his ride.

I guess that makes Andrea de Cesaris an F1 Legend since he worked hard and had longevity..... :)
Hornish Jr. was very good in IndyCar and I'm sure that if he will ever make his return, he will be that good again. Hornish Jr. never was "junk" on road/street courses. If you're able to finish second at Watkins Glen, after qualifying up front as well, than you're definitely not junk on them. Someone who qualifies 25th and finishes 6th due to many crashes and who hardly passes someone, that's what I would call "junk" on a road/street course.

I wish Hornish Jr. would make his return to IndyCar, he was my favorite IRL driver until he left to become a taxi driver... :(

garyshell
2nd May 2012, 15:03
Side note, it looks like Jim Nabors will miss Indy this year. :(

Now THERE is a legend, and he's never won a race.

Gary

FIAT1
2nd May 2012, 15:07
Back home again in Indiana gives me shivers down my spine every time. Agree on his status in regards to 500!

numanoid
2nd May 2012, 21:12
Back home again in Indiana gives me shivers down my spine every time. Agree on his status in regards to 500!

This year will be my first 500 and I won't get to experience that. I heard they are using a taped version of the song, performed by him.

anthonyvop
2nd May 2012, 22:52
MSR releases Jay Howard

Michael Shank Racing Indianapolis 500 Update
Indianapolis, IN (2 May 2012)- With the motor supply issue not yet resolved, Michael Shank Racing team owner Mike Shank confirmed on Wednesday that he has released IZOD IndyCar Series driver Jay Howard from his contractual commitment to the team for the 2012 Indianapolis 500.

A former Indy Lights Champion, Howard made a promising debut in the 2011 running of the Indianapolis 500 and was set to join Michael Shank Racing for the 2012 race. Howard is now free to pursue other options to participate in the Indianapolis 500. Michael Shank Racing will continue to develop the appropriate avenue for participating in the event.

anthonyvop
3rd May 2012, 02:48
Tweeted at 9:45 5/2/2012

"Michael Shank ‏ @MichaelShankRac

Thank you all for the incredible support over the last couple of weeks . It was not meant to b for us this year but I promise that

Michael Shank ‏ @MichaelShankRac

We will Continue to try to get our @IndyCar car on track. Yes it is a HUGE let down to us. Thank you to @JayHoward66 and @BRANDed for all!

Phoenixent
4th May 2012, 06:48
Hornish Jr. was very good in IndyCar and I'm sure that if he will ever make his return, he will be that good again. Hornish Jr. never was "junk" on road/street courses. If you're able to finish second at Watkins Glen, after qualifying up front as well, than you're definitely not junk on them. Someone who qualifies 25th and finishes 6th due to many crashes and who hardly passes someone, that's what I would call "junk" on a road/street course.

I wish Hornish Jr. would make his return to IndyCar, he was my favorite IRL driver until he left to become a taxi driver... :(

I really don't know what series you watched back then but Hornish was junk on road/street courses. In twelve road/ street course events he had only two top 5 finishes but he was good on ovals with 18 wins, 12 poles, and 41 top fives in a 105 starts. If Hornish was in the series now he would so be out of his league with the drivers and the tracks we have now.

I don't know who you are talking about on starting 25th and finishing 6th as junk. If you tell me who then we can really compare stats head to head. :)

Phoenixent
4th May 2012, 06:54
I knew that Michael Shank Racing's Indycar effort was pie in the sky way before the season started. No sponsor package, No engine package, and both drivers inline for that car brought their own money and it was a to little to late enterprise. He might show up next year when we only have two engine manufacturers in the series or he will sell his chassis to another team to replace a damaged one at Indy.

00steven
4th May 2012, 14:30
Hornish wouldn't even be a midpacker in Indycar.

heliocastroneves#3
4th May 2012, 15:23
I don't know who you are talking about on starting 25th and finishing 6th as junk. If you tell me who then we can really compare stats head to head. :)
Princess qualified 25th (or 23rd) and finished 6th at Baltimore... I don't think I need to say more.... Maybe Hornish only had two top 5 finishes on road/street courses but someone who's junk on them, cannot finish second once either. Also, we have to mention that Hornish only made 11 starts on road/street courses and that's not a lot. When Briscoe started to race in IndyCar, he was very bad on the ovals, despite a 10th place finish at his first ever Indianapolis 500.... But a couple of years later, he was even better on ovals than on road/street courses. I'm trying to say that Hornish never really has "learned" to be good on road/street courses in IndyCar.

PS: I watched the Indy Racing League back in those times, I've always been an IRL fan before the merge.... Despite I liked it very much, the IndyCar from nowadays is much better.. :)

Being a good oval racer is very important though. The Indianapolis 500, the biggest race in the world, is an oval race and Power already lost two IndyCar titles, due to the lack of results on ovals.

Townsend Bell is going to drive the #99 Sam Schmidt Motorsports car at Indy anyway, I think this is great news! For third year running, Bell to drive for Schmidt (http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/05-May/5-4-Bell-to-drive-for-Schmidt-team-again)

FIAT1
7th May 2012, 12:55
PS: I watched the Indy Racing League back in those times, I've always been an IRL fan before the merge.... Despite I liked it very much, the IndyCar from nowadays is much better.. :)

There is a very good reason why Hornish and entire irl field is gone from todays line up. They weren't good period, and that you where a fan of that ,is your loss.

heliocastroneves#3
7th May 2012, 15:40
Jean Alesi still will compete in this years' Indianapolis 500, it will be in a Lotus powered Fan Force United car. INDYCAR: Alesi Unites With Fan Force United For Indy (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-alesi-unites-with-fan-force-united-for-indy/)

@FIAT1: I didn't lose anything actually, you guys lost CART and I didn't lose the IRL... IRL was already called IndyCar Series since 2003, so for me it doesn't matter at all in that way. They were good, because Sam Hornish Jr. was able to beat both Penske and Ganassi. Also Scott Sharp was a very good racer and so was Greg Ray. Lack of consistency and the series only organizing races on ovals, just didn't improve their road/street racing skills. That's it. Many CART drivers are/were overrated, simple as that... I mean, Alex Tagliani for an example... He may have had pole at Indy last year but what about his Edmonton accident last year? Or Tarso Marques, King Hiro and Arnd Meier...? :rolleyes:

The most IRL drivers back 10 years ago, simply were a little bit elder.... Of course IRL had it's crappy drivers like Milka Duno and Tyce Carlson but there's no reason to say the IRL grid wasn't good at all. Tony Kanaan never won the Indy 500 and Sam Hornish Jr. did... Yeah, the IRL grid wasn't good at all, right....

Many people also say that the IRL was the biggest failure in motorsports history, so that's why both CART and ChampCar went bankrupt and the IRL didn't? Sorry, but overrating CART drivers and underestimating IRL drivers doesn't work at all. Now they're all together and on the ovals it becomes so clear, who has driven in CART in the 90s and later in the IRL and who has only driven in the modern ChampCar. CART was good until 2001, after that it was nowhere compared to the IRL...

FIAT1
7th May 2012, 16:51
@FIAT1: I didn't lose anything actually, you guys lost CART and I didn't lose the IRL...

History lesson would greatly improve quality of your knowledge . I still don't see any irl drivers on the grid, beside family champion and only thing as a fan that I have lost is great Indycar racing, fast racing cars and amazing engines. Championship auto racing teams are very much alive and same bunch is running the show now. I'm very happy that you have embraced the change and took up a name of superb CART racing ace.

Phoenixent
7th May 2012, 17:29
Thanks Starter for ending this... :)

FIAT1
7th May 2012, 18:15
Guys, we're not going to revive any of the old CART and CC vs IRL wars here. Any further posts will be deleted.

Agree, post wasn't meant to go that route. Understood.

anthonyvop
8th May 2012, 00:27
Hornish wouldn't even be a midpacker in Indycar.

If he was driving for Penske he would be right up front.

00steven
8th May 2012, 01:10
On a street course? Against guys like Power, Franchitti, and Hinchcliffe?

Phoenixent
8th May 2012, 03:18
If he was driving for Penske he would be right up front.

In his final year in ICS Sam Hornish Jr performance basically was the same as the princess except he had a win at Texas. Road courses his best finish was 2nd at Watkins Glen worst finish was 14th at Mid-Ohio avg finish 7th. Street Courses his best was 7th at St. Pete and worst finish 12th at detroit avg finish was 9th. Penske was looking for someone better on street and road courses as that was the direction ICS was going.

anthonyvop
8th May 2012, 04:07
On a street course? Against guys like Power, Franchitti, and Hinchcliffe?

On a road course ahead of Power or Dario....Nope. Ahead of Hinchcliffe? Why not? On an Oval? Easily!

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2012, 04:47
Hornish if exposed to enough road/street course testing and experience would likely have improved. ON ovals he was one of the best, but the series when he was there avoided the reality of road/street racing. Just as he left, they were going back to it and had an average finish of 7th. Not bad.....but not great. Would he be as quick as Power, Dario, Dixie and Hinch? god no....hell no one can catch Power this year anyhow...But at a place like Indy, Hornish would be golden....and if Briscoe didn't have a contract, RP would love to put Hornish back in a Penske car I am sure.

Anyhow...can anyone explain to me what the implications of having 32 starters this year is going to be, because based on the reality of Shank not getting a motor, that is starting to look at what we are facing....

FIAT1
8th May 2012, 14:11
Roger Penske knows the best when it comes to Hornish and he made a decision accordingly.

Phoenixent
9th May 2012, 01:07
But at a place like Indy, Hornish would be golden....and if Briscoe didn't have a contract, RP would love to put Hornish back in a Penske car I am sure.

Agree that putting Hornish in at Indy like a hired gun would be awesome. But a PR nightmare if he won then went back to the taxi for the rest of the year....

Anyhow...can anyone explain to me what the implications of having 32 starters this year is going to be, because based on the reality of Shank not getting a motor, that is starting to look at what we are facing....

I think we are looking at a 29 car field at Indy with Lotus imploding right now.

00steven
9th May 2012, 04:02
I think we are looking at a 29 car field at Indy with Lotus imploding right now.

It just breaks my heart that Indy's in the shape its in at the moment. Lotus has failed catastrophically.

00steven
11th May 2012, 01:47
Looks like Dario is racing #50 at the 500. I wish he were racing #1.

Phoenixent
11th May 2012, 05:16
Looks like Dario is racing #50 at the 500. I wish he were racing #1.

Last time #1 was run at Indy was in 2006 on Michael Andretti's car due to the fact that Dan Wheldon had left the team and the number is issued to the team and not the driver. The only one I think has the right to run the #1 this year is Brian Herta Motorsports due to Dan Wheldon was their driver last year.

jwhite9185
11th May 2012, 15:30
Last time #1 was run at Indy was in 2006 on Michael Andretti's car due to the fact that Dan Wheldon had left the team and the number is issued to the team and not the driver. The only one I think has the right to run the #1 this year is Brian Herta Motorsports due to Dan Wheldon was their driver last year.

Nope, thats Ganassi due to Dario being the series champion.

Phoenixent
11th May 2012, 16:48
Nope, thats Ganassi due to Dario being the series champion.

Sorry about that you are correct. I was think of the old days when Indy had it's own numbers and the winner had the #1 the following year if he wanted to run it. I know that Chip like Penske don't like running the number #1 as it has a jenks to it for the driver that runs it. But that is a owner superstition.

Anubis
11th May 2012, 18:01

Not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, you have the tradition and drama of bump day, yet there's always been that element (for me anyway) of the 33 car field attracting people who, charitably, really shouldn't be let anywhere near the place. Seems odd that your highest (only?) profile event should be the one to attract the least qualified to race there, be it team or driver. Akin to one car teams turning up at Monaco or Spa. The flip side of that is obviously that it only adds to the romance of the event. Lotus have obvioulsy bitten off way, way more than they can chew, but at the same time, what would a 33 car field offer that a 29 car field wouldn't, other then four more people to lap? Like I said, not sure where I sit on the subject.

harvick#1
11th May 2012, 22:52
agree with Hornet

the bump day drama is always cool, but I see possibly 4 teams coming in and be start and parks just like in Nascar, just to collect a quick paycheck. 29 cars more alittle more room on track and less slow traffic.

Wheres Milka Duno where you need her? :p :