PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrisy gone mad I tell yer!!

Knock-on
18th April 2012, 18:33
Just watching an old episode of Top Gear on Dave and it was the Terry 'slow' Wogan one. The transcript went something like:

TW - "Do you swerve for rabbits?"
JC - "No!!! Do you for Foxes?"
TW - "No, no, no...... Children?"
JC - "Er, yes. I do swerve for Children."
TW - "That's your problem then. You're too soft for this game."

Now, everyone knows Terry Wogan was joking and doesn't go around in his Bentley running over children but what if the speakers were reversed. I bet there wasn't one complaint over Mr Wogan saying it but if Mr Clarkson would have uttered that line, the papers would go into meltdown wouldn't they.

So, do people really think JC believes striking public sector workers should be shot and that TW comits infanticide or what?

EuroTroll
18th April 2012, 20:48
The thing is that Clarkson has said so many "interesting" things in his time that you think he might really mean them...

I like him a lot, though. He's... interesting. :)

Rollo
18th April 2012, 21:37
Mr Clarkson is one of the hosts of a car show that frequently isn't really about cars (building a train from a Jaguar? really?); in said program he adopts a persona of one "Jeremy Clarkson". He also writes for the The Sunday Times and The Sun the latter in particular is especially famous for printing "truth".
Clarkson writes in the land hyperbole and frequently writes and says things to get a rise from people. When Alistair Campbell was on Top Gear in 2010 (and was booed) Clarkson said that "I don't believe what I write, any more than you believe what you say". His appearances on Who Do You Think You Are and occasionally on QI suggest that when not "in character" he wouldn't go around saying such stuff.

If anything Clarkson is otherwise an internet troll but without the internet. You don't seriously host a car show by talking about "horsepowers", "torques" and as the episode with open top sports cars showed, being completely ignorant about how they work.

BDunnell
18th April 2012, 23:48
Just watching an old episode of Top Gear on Dave and it was the Terry 'slow' Wogan one. The transcript went something like:

TW - "Do you swerve for rabbits?"
JC - "No!!! Do you for Foxes?"
TW - "No, no, no...... Children?"
JC - "Er, yes. I do swerve for Children."
TW - "That's your problem then. You're too soft for this game."

Now, everyone knows Terry Wogan was joking and doesn't go around in his Bentley running over children but what if the speakers were reversed. I bet there wasn't one complaint over Mr Wogan saying it but if Mr Clarkson would have uttered that line, the papers would go into meltdown wouldn't they.

So, do people really think JC believes striking public sector workers should be shot and that TW comits infanticide or what?

The context in which something is said is hugely important, and this includes the identity of the person making the comments.

BDunnell
18th April 2012, 23:52
His appearances on Who Do You Think You Are and occasionally on QI suggest that when not "in character" he wouldn't go around saying such stuff.

I object to the manner in which his appearances on comedy shows have given him the notion that he's a comedian. As his clunky, inelegant delivery of the line — not spontaneous, let's not forget — about shooting public sector workers proved, he really is nothing of the sort. I don't think he's especially witty on these programmes anyway. On QI he's nothing special, and when he guested on, as opposed to hosting, Have I Got News for You he was totally unremarkable. And in any case he's a hypocrite of the first order for ranting about freedom of speech and then taking out a super-injunction to stop publication of details of his private life that were merely embarrassing.

EuroTroll
19th April 2012, 09:40
I object to the manner in which his appearances on comedy shows have given him the notion that he's a comedian. As his clunky, inelegant delivery of the line — not spontaneous, let's not forget — about shooting public sector workers proved, he really is nothing of the sort. I don't think he's especially witty on these programmes anyway. On QI he's nothing special, and when he guested on, as opposed to hosting, Have I Got News for You he was totally unremarkable. And in any case he's a hypocrite of the first order for ranting about freedom of speech and then taking out a super-injunction to stop publication of details of his private life that were merely embarrassing.

Not a huge fan, then? ;)

I've liked his appearances on QI and HIGNFY, I must say. I think he is funny and witty. And the success of Top Gear worldwide is proof of that, I think.

BDunnell
19th April 2012, 09:51
Not a huge fan, then? ;)

I've liked his appearances on QI and HIGNFY, I must say. I think he is funny and witty. And the success of Top Gear worldwide is proof of that, I think.

It's proof that a lot of people watch it, which doesn't make it good, nor mean that he is witty.

EuroTroll
19th April 2012, 10:01
It's proof that a lot of people watch it, which doesn't make it good, nor mean that he is witty.

But why do people watch it? Would they watch it if the main presenter was a witless dullard? I think not.

ShiftingGears
19th April 2012, 11:07
But why do people watch it? Would they watch it if the main presenter was a witless dullard? I think not.

To be fair, people watch Two and a Half Men...

BDunnell
19th April 2012, 11:07

People watch all sorts of TV that's crap in huge numbers, let's face it.

Dave B
19th April 2012, 19:19
There are certain people who will be judged harshly no matter what they say - often even if they didn't say something - by those with preconceived ideas. Clarkson is one, Ricky Gervais and Jonathon Ross are other popular targets. I'm sure some viewers tune in to their shows purely to find offence.

Clarkson does a lot of charity work that goes uncredited, he is also far more "green" that he'd like to admit. He is an expert in playing the media to get publicity, most of his comments are tongue-in-cheek or playing to the gallery. He is also capable of being the most fantastic arse imaginable, trotting out utterly offensive nonsense at times. I judge his comments on their merits, rather than by who is saying them.

Knock-on
20th April 2012, 13:29
Totally agree Dave. It just struck me as funny that Terry 'god luv im' Wogan jokes to Jeremy about running over children but if the joke was the other way around, we would see the usual 100,000 Daily Mail readers and selected forum members complaining :laugh:

I have to admit, I do watch some comics to see what they come out with next. They can go too far and become a caraciture of themselves though.

BDunnell
20th April 2012, 14:25
Clarkson does a lot of charity work that goes uncredited

So does Jim Davidson, yet this doesn't stop him from being a word-I-can't-use.

21st April 2012, 20:44
Really difficult Karen Millen Stores (http://www.karenmillenoutletsales.com/) simply to walk the actual saline, a little place away from the drum package using sections of the sparsifolia prolonged, waist-high, planet handbag crater involving the quite smooth soil,Chanel Bags (http://www.onlinechanelbagsales.com/) the sneakers will certainly fall under the actual snare inadvertently. Regardless of how tough to hold out, zero mothers and fathers would like their kids to determine weeknesses,Hogan Scarpe (http://www.onlinehoganshoes.com/) all of us think keep to the end. Following the occasion, celebration planner Qu Jian about the eastern side, and then have a very alteration by appliance Kate Moss a lot more deep understanding of the way in which choose to go Xuan Zang, the bottom line is your individual cardiovascular, along with wealth has nothing to perform, and also energy has nothing to perform, only with your own personal thoughts of their objectives connected.

23rd April 2012, 11:44
Li Jian mentioned,Karen Millen Sale (http://www.salekarenmillenonline.com/) jogging much more, that they figured that the recovery process: the actual sneakers Sito Scarpe Hogan (http://www.scarpehogansito.com/) and also clothes away from, blank feet dry for a time, allow the base relax, or perhaps bored stiff Chanel Bags Sale (http://www.outletchanelsales.com/) in a sneaker, painful pus bruises very easily. Later in the day, the actual alteration by appliance Kate Moss most hectic vacation with the team of physicians, frequently for all of us to select your percolate wrap so busy evening.

23rd April 2012, 12:02
Li Jian mentioned,Karen Millen Dresses (http://www.salekarenmillenonline.com/) jogging more, these people concluded that any recovery process: the particular footwear Scarpe Hogan (http://www.scarpehogansito.com/) along with stockings off of, blank toes dried up for a while, allow feet cool-down, or bored stiff Chanel Bags Sale (http://www.outletchanelsales.com/) inside a shoe, painful pus blisters very easily. In the evening, the actual alteration by appliance Kate Moss most frantic vacation with all the group involving doctors, typically for us to pick the particular percolate place so occupied nighttime.